Adding New Address Book.

mousekakat

There are some people here who like to send out mystery coins.

There are folks here that want to surprise someone.

There are folks here who you just want to send a note or something to someone.

BUT...

How do you surprise someone if you have to ask them for their address?

Is there any kind of "address book" around here? If there isn't, can we do one, maybe by Yahoo groups or other more secure method so that those interested can join and have access?

Just a thought.

There are some folks here that I'd like to send a little something to, but don't want to ask for mail addresses because I don't want to mess up the surprise, and going through others that I know is sometimes a PIA to do!

TIA,

Naomi

Edited by Eartha

I have been struggling with the same. I have a few coins I'd like to send but since I haven't traded much I am light on addresses. And (understandably) not everyone is comfortable giving out an address in a semi-public setting. I'm thinking the surprise will have to be the email asking for the address, not the actual coin.

EDIT: I also would like to give anonymously but given that my shiny new personals have my name in big letters, well, that's going to be a pretty big clue as to where they came from...

Edited by Theseus

Maybe you guys could choose one well known and trustworthy trader to be known as "The Keeper" and if anyone needs and address they can ask that one person and they will keep all request private.

Another option could be to have someone setup a site that requires a login and password to get to so they addresses won't be totally public.

I am light on addresses. And (understandably) not everyone is comfortable giving out an address in a semi-public setting.

EDIT: I also would like to give anonymously but given that my shiny new personals have my name in big letters, well, that's going to be a pretty big clue as to where they came from...

Where do I send you my address so I can get one of your shiny, new personals, Theseus, hehehe?

Another option could be to have someone setup a site that requires a login and password to get to so they addresses won't be totally public.

That was what I was thinking, a Yahoo group or something along those lines where you have to apply to get in!

You could contact some of the people here in the forums to see if they have the address or if they could get it for you. I've had people ask me for addresses for others and I've asked others to get me addresses. Seems to work pretty well :D

~tsun

Yeppers, that it does, Steph, lol! I keep getting mystery packages and I love it! Grateful to whoever it is that is passing around my address, too, hehehe.... hoping that one of the mystery packages will be delivered in person and we can have a visitor, too! Hard part is that you just never know who has who's address!

I just thought it'd be kind of cool to have a place where if you had something special come in that you wanted to spend you could just look up the addy yourself instead of trying to track it down or sending the recipient an email :mad:

Anyone seeking an address of a fellow coin addict is more than welcome to contact me for assistance :D . I would be more than happy to look through my list and provide an address :mad: .

If I do not have the address I would be more than happy to make a phone call or email a life line to get the requested info :o .

Please be aware that you should have a person's permission before you give out their address to anyone. So surprising someone might not be that easy. Groundspeak will not be providing a mailing list.

That would be why we'd use an offsite location for them and definitely somewhere that would be a member only thing like Yahoo Groups or otherwise....

Damenace, I'm may be dropping you a line soon, I think :D

Please be aware that you should have a person's permission before you give out their address to anyone. So surprising someone might not be that easy. Groundspeak will not be providing a mailing list.

Eartha, thank you for mentioning this, indeed you are right. I respect everyone in these forums and would never intentionally try to upset anyone by giving out an address.

If anyone ever gets upset for receving a mystery coin in the mail, be sure to forward it to me :D !

You could contact some of the people here in the forums to see if they have the address or if they could get it for you. I've had people ask me for addresses for others and I've asked others to get me addresses. Seems to work pretty well :mad:

~tsun

This approach has worked quite well for me :D . I make sure that I've had previous email exchanges with the person I've sought assistance from... so they "know" me more or less. If I can't get an address, I ask the person if I can send the coin to them to have them forward it along (and of course I always offer to pay shipping).

When I first started trading coins I kept a database of who I've traded with, including addresses. It's come in handy a few times.

Google has a 'free' spreadsheet which we can use to have each person enter in their OWN address. Here is an example:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pOU...KVR7BDfoO8TT1ag

We would also make this 'private' just publishing to show what can be done. You just need a google account which are easy to get.

If people would agree to use this, I will make it private and invite people in. Just have to email me your email address.

Edited by nielsenc

Google has a 'free' spreadsheet which we can use to have each person enter in their OWN address. Here is an example:

We would also make this 'private' just publishing to show what can be done. You just need a google account which are easy to get.

If people would agree to use this, I will make it private and invite people in. Just have to email me your email address.

Does private stop you from viewing or just stop you from editting?

I think it's a great idea!

Making it private will only allow members to view/edit. Right now it is world viewable.

Making it private will only allow members to view/edit. Right now it is world viewable.

Submitted my address :D .

.... hoping that one of the mystery packages will be delivered in person and we can have a visitor, too! Hard part is that you just never know who has who's address!

B) OK... Who's up for a road (?) trip to Sweden? B) How cool would that be! B)

If you ask me it would be major cool!!!

Cabin sleeps three comfortably downstairs in the winter or summer, and another 3 or 4 camping style upstairs in the summer - too cold up there in the winter, and there's a spare room in the house if you don't have a problem with 1 dog, 2 kids, 3 cats and the perpetual mess that is there due to the above numbers :grin:

I have invited those who have sent me their email address.

I've sent you my email address...

I know nobody really knows me, lol. I haven't been collecting for very long (some of you here have probably made some money off me in the last few weeks B)B):grin: ) Iand 've only been reading this forum for a week or so (I think B) ). I'll try to post now and then, when I feel I have something to add B)B)

Anyway, I'm a truck driver and I'm all over the country for weeks at a time. I rarely get a chance to meet cachers much less coin traders. Hopefully I'll get to know some of you and possibly meet a few of you during my travels. Not to worry, I'm no stalker! B) I'm actually pretty introverted and often just keep my head down and keep moving B)B)

Shutting up now...

-Jesse

aka earthrooster

Submitted my address B) .

How do I submit my addy. to be added to the list ? :grin:

Excellent idea.

As Eric noted, the spreadsheet is currently publicly available, which I presume will change.

Great idea ... that's true!

But I really don't think that there's a need to withdraw the public availability - there are noumerous ways to get your full postal address :laughing: Given the fact that the pure number of cachers is quite small compared with "other" interest groups, I don't see a real reason why someone should start to gather cacher addresses ... (except for the Geocoin Fairy, the Great Pumpkin, etc etc ... hint!hint!hint!) :laughing:

Just my thoughts,

Dirk