Question on Magellan Explorist 500 LE

Jas'nJoan

I recently purchased a Magellan Explorists 500 LE and am having difficulty with the displaying of downloaded waypoints from the geocaching site not showing on the navigational mapscreen. I would appreciate if anyone has the same unit if they could provide some guidance.

I am using my gps soley for the purpose of geocaching.

At present, I do not have any detailed street or

topographical maps - just the software that came with

the gps which is map send lite.

I enter waypoints either manually or download through

the the software supplied with my gps - the geocaching

- the magellan geocache manager.

1 - When I enter manually waypoints into the gps they

are all saved to the same file - My points of interest

\default poi file. They are saved with a .upt

extension and they all show up on the navigational map

screen.

2 - When I download waypoints (through

www.geocaching.com) I save the file as a

geocaching.loc to my harddrive C:, then open using the

geocaching manager and upload to my gps. They

automatically get saved to a folder called geocache

points and get saved as individual files with a .gs

extension.

Preferences - active setup is set up as follows:

Background maps - basemap

Detail maps - detail map off

My Poi's - default POI file

Route - Default Route File

Geocaches - (My only option is to either select 1

individual file or select geocache file off). I

cannot choose to view all downloaded geocache files on

the map.

In map set up - display. I have all of the selections

ticked.

I guess my question, is how do I download all my

waypoints using the geocaching manager software to the

same file (as opposed to a folder) so they will all

show up on the map screen as does the ones I enter

manually?

There are a couple of possibilities that come to mind...your description sounds like you are doing things right in general, but it wasn't clear enough to me to know which of these things might be happening.

1. Are you sending multiple cache POIs over to the .gs file at the same time? If you are sending one at a time, they probably are overwriting the existing file each time. When you import loc files into Geocache Manager, there is an option to append them to the existing file in GM, so you can send multiple caches at the same time.

2. Are you sure that you are looking in the right "My Geocaches" folder? I was confused with my 500 at first because I was pretty sure I had sent a file to my SD card but when I looked in active setup it wasn't there. I finally figured out that the default My Geocaches folder was in internal memory, and I had to navigate to the SD card My Geocaches folder to find my file.

There are a couple of possibilities that come to mind...your description sounds like you are doing things right in general, but it wasn't clear enough to me to know which of these things might be happening.

1. Are you sending multiple cache POIs over to the .gs file at the same time? If you are sending one at a time, they probably are overwriting the existing file each time. When you import loc files into Geocache Manager, there is an option to append them to the existing file in GM, so you can send multiple caches at the same time.

2. Are you sure that you are looking in the right "My Geocaches" folder? I was confused with my 500 at first because I was pretty sure I had sent a file to my SD card but when I looked in active setup it wasn't there. I finally figured out that the default My Geocaches folder was in internal memory, and I had to navigate to the SD card My Geocaches folder to find my file.

I am entering them one at a time. I'll have to look at the geocaching manager and figure how to append so I can send multiple ones. Thanks. Also I do not have an SD card, just internal memory.

Interesting, I just placed my order for the Magellan eXplorist 500 LE with US TOPO Package and it is due to arrive tomorrow.

Have you had any luck getting your POI's to work?

POI's work fine as they are entered directly into the gps manually. They all get saved to the same file and show up on the mapscreen.

Hi there

I have a Explorist 210 and had to find my caches the hard way.

I used geocache manager, created a new file to save caches by location eg /local and /Wales. When I came to look for them ....... nothing.

What I have found is that when in geocache points you need to highlight one of the points with the joystick before you can move "up one level". You won't find them by just using the up/down buttons. You might then find the other file names.

Hope this might help but since I only have had the unit two weeks I might be talking b*ll*cks

I look and read in awe. I got the Explorest 500 LE 3 months ago. I'm new to the entire concept and every aspect. That being said here's why I'm in awe.

When I received my unit the USB cable was not the correct one. It fits my digital camera (an old one I don't use anymore). But this cable with a mini USB connector at one end and a regular USB connector at the other end has absolutely nothing to do with the unit I purchased.

Now that sounds like a simple error that should be relatively easy to fix right... WRONG!

It is still in the process of being resolved. What? That's just ridiculous you say... I agree!!

I'm new to this sort of stuff so I am still learning, so perhaps it's me. :unsure:

1st I attempted to contact them by Email - Okay 1st lesson is they blow you off

[No matter how I described my problem - I was told you have the right cable and need to read the directions for it's use - followed by step by step instructions]

2nd I call them - blown off again only in a language that I'm having difficulty comprehending??

After 1 month of trying about 2 times a week finally someone speaking broken English?? Asked me if it's the wrong cable then what's the part number. Thank goodness I saved the bag it came in - I read it off and she tells me "No wonder you are having trouble, that's is not the correct cable/part number for that unit". DUH!!!

They will make an order up and send it right away.... Hurray Wahoo!

3rd Lesson is that Technical support is not helpful at all! After several weeks I called back asking what happened - big mistake - I had to start the process all over again - I even read the part number off right away begging not to be transfered to technical support but alas they transfered me and apparently the situation I have isn't in their script of problem solutions. Thus I was told "No Sir you have the right cable lets walk you through the use of your unit - what unit do you have - this is after providing the case number btw??? After about 45 minutes they come to the conclusion I have the wrong cable - an order is placed and I get a brand new case number... Woopie!

Month 3 - Onward - still no cable - I call go through the entire process taking about 2 hours as did all previous attempts - I ask to speak to management I get technical support and you guessed it - I had to start all over again. Providing now the 6th case number I've been assigned - the Technion decides to assign me a new case number and tells me that the cable was ordered for replacement of my defective one? He tells me he has checked with shipping and it has been sent out... I should receive any day now. Hurray Wahoo!

Well, two weeks have past no cable - but hey I did finally receive the battery and charger I ordered with the unit (Customer Service had to reorder that for me as well) Only one minor little problem - It's totally useless without the USB cable and since it made it here why hasn't the cable that was already in the mail not been received. Time to call again... You'll never guess what happened... Yep case number in all I had to start all over again only this time they will start a new case number and a new oder for me... :o

We had planned a trip to Maryland and to go caching up there - it would have been nice to have the unit working so I didn't have to enter by hand the waypoints POI and use the unit like an expensive compass.

Alas we leave next Friday and I have my doubts the cable will be here by then.

As I read this thread I see that my troubles wont be over when I do get the cable but I am really glad for threads like this where real help is available.

This mess has left a bad taste in my mouth for Magellan products - the single most aggravation was that they wouldn't after all that I put up with allow me to speak to a manager. I asked many times - the result was the same - put on hold for 20+ minutes and then picked up by someone in Technical support and had to start all over again.

Now I can say that they all told me that they are going through some changes in their system, website (which was almost down when this all started - upgrading), ordering and inventory. They would have to put me on hold while they pulled up my case number and several times it came up blanked out. I'm sure it was equally frustrating for them. The only time I talked to anyone that spoke clear English was dealing with the Battery and charger - my order came up blank on that too - because it was FUBAR she made a new order and sent it to me. It was the only thing that has gone right even though I can't use it.

I am fairly certain that this is not a normal problem. However, it might be that there are more units out there with the wrong cable if they were processed during the time they were going through their upgrades. I was trying to save someone else the aggravation I've gone through by talking to Management. Perhaps I'll be a single case who knows.

I'm new to this sort of stuff so I am still learning, so perhaps it's me. :unsure:

<snip>

Perhaps I'll be a single case who knows.

I see your problem right here, mister...lookee there: you got a broken customer support system! Looks like we'll have to put a call into customer support to get this fixed...um...uh-oh. :o

While your case--one which should be easily remedied--sounds worse than usual, you are not alone in attaining a Magellan horror story that you can cherish the rest of your life. To be sure, they have had some bright spots were they have done something right, but it seems to remain very, uh, uneven.

While I am intrigued by some of the design features of the new Triton series, until they get the customer support system working I can't get on board. In my Magellan ownership so far, I have been fortunate enough to have never needed them. But who wants to bet several hundred dollars that you won't?

I'd say you're at the point where it's time to send a letter to the CEO. You need some top-down intervention.

Edited by embra

As a GIS/cartographic professional and one that uses GPS-based technology on a daily basis, I can tell you that my experiences with Magellan have been extremely poor. I've owned Magellan, Garmin, and Lowrence GPS's. I've found customer support as well as 3rd party support is BY-FAR best with Garmin. However, with that said, the Magellan receiver tends to pick up slightly more accurate readings in a few areas. Furthermore, there is more conversions that always seem to take place with Magellans, whereas Garmins tend to be quick a painless. The lowrence unit I have used works suprisingly well and has the best detail in the maps I have seen (although, basemaps on a GPS are fairly useless to begin with) and customer support is decent.

Bottom line, for customer support purchase a Garmin. If you live in Canada, try purchasing a GPS from a scientific equipment distributer such as Cansel Survey Equipment Ltd. or Halltech Ltd. These companies will actually support your unit and walk you through steps over the phone, rather than send you to the manufacturer's tech-support.

After a few days of playing with my new Exporist 500 LE I am somewhat satisfied... But not $200 worth of satisfied. ($200 because I purchased the topo package)

Things I don's like:

-USB connection to the GPS is cumbersome at best (not a standard USB connection).

-Topo mapping software is great for streets, but doesn't appear to have th detail level for topo that one would expect.

-Battery live is no where close to advertised. I only got about 4-5 hours before I had to change batteries even with the backlight dimmed to the lowest possible level.

-No rechargeable battery pack. That is the reason for the "LE" - One of the reasons that it's cheaper is because the unit doesn't have the charging ability for a rechargeable battery pack.

-Very long fix time. Unit has taken 4-15 minutes to get a fix - even with an unobstructed sky.

Things I like:

-Accuracy. This thing is "spot-on"! If I nav to the coordinates, I am usually within 3-5 feet of the cache!

-Tracking. Once the fix is obtained, the unit stays locked even in spots where one would expect to loose the signal.

-Geocache manager is pretty easy to use and once you understand how it is supposed to work, it is pretty good.

Still debating to send this unit back for a Garmin. I would hate to be without a GPS for a few days.

Decisions, decisions!

Wow thanks for the insight and letting me vent... I don't feel any better at least not until I get some kind of results. A letter to the CEO is on my to do list for sure. I think if they knew about it perhaps they would see their way to making some changes that could enhance their sales. Lets face it that is the bottom line.

As for my saga I'll be doing Maryland manually on a Magellan Compass... :D

On the bright side (I realized this while Caching recently with friends that got us into this great game. At one point they were still putting in Coords while I was well under way) I have become proficient at just looking a my current readings and guessing where to go and can pin point GZ pretty quickly. This has also taught me how to get to GZ from different means and avoid bushwhacking in some cases. Okay I might look a little lost and confused but that's just a clever disguise, a few small circles and I hone right in... :blink:

I really didn't mean to derail this thread as it will eventually be one I'll probably be reading VS calling them for help. :blink:

Thanks All again.

To address Jas'nJoan's original post ...

I recently purchased a Magellan Explorists 500 LE and am having difficulty with the displaying of downloaded waypoints from the geocaching site not showing on the navigational mapscreen...

... I enter waypoints either manually or download through

the the software supplied with my gps - the geocaching

- the magellan geocache manager...

... I guess my question, is how do I download all my

waypoints using the geocaching manager software to the

same file (as opposed to a folder) so they will all

show up on the map screen as does the ones I enter

manually?

I have an eXplorist 600, but I believe the files operate the same way. I too have had trouble displaying multiple geocaches on the eXplorist, though they all appear to display in the MapSend software.

I recently travelled to NZ and I wanted to have many caches preloaded, and have them show up on the screen if I happened to be near them. POI's work this way, but it appears that the Geocaching function does not. I believe you have to select GOTO and pick a single geocache from the list you have put in, though at least you can get them to sort in order of closest/farthest.

My workaround involved downloading the .loc files from geocaching.com, importing them into MapSend and creating regional geocache files (.gs), but then resaving these files as .gpx files with MapSend in the POI folder on my PC. Then I cleared the displayed geocaches so as not to complicate the map with duplicates, and selected GPS CONTENTS\WAYPOINTS\LOAD FROM FILE, media source:PC hard drive, and selected all the new regional .gpx files I wanted to load (including any backed up POI files I like to have in there - home etc.).

To copy this list to the GPS, select GPS CONTENTS\WAYPOINTS\SAVE TO FILE, media source:GPS unit... select Default POI File.upt, and overwrite (remember to back this file up earlier if you have POI's in it you want to keep).

For my New Zealand trip, this created a POI list of about 150, and a casual glance at my GPS as I travelled would show me what was near ... this worked very well for me :D

The POIs created were named the cache waypoint GCXXXX, and the message field displayed the cache name, useful to check with your cache info sheets.

Hope this helps. :D If someone has a method of displaying all in the map screen using the geocaching function in the GPS, please post here and let us all know!

I recently purchased a Magellan Explorists 500 LE and am having difficulty with the displaying of downloaded waypoints from the geocaching site not showing on the navigational mapscreen...

Hope this helps. :) If someone has a method of displaying all in the map screen using the geocaching function in the GPS, please post here and let us all know!

Hope this helps. :) If someone has a method of displaying all in the map screen using the geocaching function in the GPS, please post here and let us all know!

Hi, I've had a 210 for about a year and just got the 500LE as waranty replacement. I have no trouble displaying multiple caches at one time on the map screen using the geochaching tools.

For the 210, I always used the seperate geocahe manager. As indicated in earlier posts, you can append .loc files to a .gs file. Never did much with map send lite till I downloade their new V2.00 beta for free from the magellan site. Thsi map send lite does the dame thing and I just tried it on my 500.

If you have a bunch of .loc files from geochaching.com, you can highlight and open a bunch at one time. They sjould appear on the mapsend lite map and in the geochache control center on the right side of the screen. If you wnat you can then go load a bunch more .loc files and it'll ask if you want to delete the first ones loaded. just say no. Now in the control center click on the save (diskette) icon and pick either hard drive or GPS. Be sure the file type is .gs and not .loc. The name will be the same as one of the caches but just change the name to "many" or something else. If you picked GPS as target, it should default to the "goecaches" folder so just save the file there.

Now on the GPS go to menu>preferences>active setup>geocaches>select file and you should find "many". Pick it and go to the map. All of the caches in "many" should display an Icon.

Creating subfolders can be done but is a bit goofy (I tried it for a while). just put all related caches in one .gs file and put all .gs files in the geocaches folder. don't reaaly need the subfolders...

later, In map send lite, you can open a .gs file with many caches and then open new .loc files to add more caches. When you re-save as .gs back to HD or GPS, if you give the same name, it will warn of overwrite, if you say yes, you'll have a new .GS file with more cahches displayed.

Geocache manager works pretty well the same but as stated before, if you have some geocaches listed and try to open more .loc files, you have to have append selected to add to the list.

You can pick goto cache from the list or you can pick a goto on the map screen. just move the cursor over the cache icon and if the cache name appears in the detail area at the bottom of the screen (you may have to zoom in close) just hit the goto botton and it should set the cache as the current goto.

Sorry for the long winded reply, just know how frustrating it was to figure some of this out with very weak instructions and help files.

I must have gotten lucky with Magellan. I purchased my 500LE in June of this year. Like Flatouts, I also received the wrong cable with my purchase. I took it back to where I bought it and they replaced it for me (the whole unit not the cable). Same thing. Wrong cable. No problem I say, I'll just call Magellan. It took one phone call and after giving them some info like serial number and purchase date etc., I had the correct cable at my doorstep in a couple of days. They even told me to keep the wrong cable. It never hurts to have an extra USB cable kicking around.

My 500LE is working just great and I'm having a grand time with it. It can take a little getting used to if you're unfamilliar with it.

Cheers!

Now on the GPS go to menu>preferences>active setup>geocaches>select file and you should find "many". Pick it and go to the map. All of the caches in "many" should display an Icon.

THIS is what I haven't been doing! Works like a treat now. Everybody, forget my earlier longwinded post!

You can pick goto cache from the list or you can pick a goto on the map screen. just move the cursor over the cache icon and if the cache name appears in the detail area at the bottom of the screen (you may have to zoom in close) just hit the goto botton and it should set the cache as the current goto.

Sorry for the long winded reply, just know how frustrating it was to figure some of this out with very weak instructions and help files.

Thankyou for your longwinded reply - now I think the geocache manager IS quite useful!

I was a newbie and started with the 500le also.Love it ,once I ordered the rechargable ion battery and car charger.Mapsend always worked great with caching,hints and cache description all loads easily at once.I suggest getting direct route off ebay and cache along.

I was a newbie and started with the 500le also.Love it ,once I ordered the rechargable ion battery and car charger.Mapsend always worked great with caching,hints and cache description all loads easily at once.I suggest getting direct route off ebay and cache along.

Is getting the hints to download a premium member thing?

Where did you buy your LI-ion battery and car charger?

Thanks

DaCaveGuy