I crossed a FTF nut's path...

Sioneva

I tend to agree, Fogtripper.

I look at it as though it might be important enough to someone that their friend or their kid have a FTF on their log that they go ahead and give them the coordinates prior to publishing the cache.

I don't think its necessarily fair to all the other cachers but it is inevitable and, due to the MANY reasons the FTF can be so ambiguous in the first place (cheaters, highly-agitated FTF freaks, etc) I decided a long time ago I wouldn't bother trying so hard for FTF.

I'm happy when I find a cache whether I was the first or the fiftieth.

B)

Well, if I happen to be FTF after a cache is published, I will be certain to point that fact out. B)

In my limited knowledge and viewpoint of the geocaching thing, I would see a "FTF" claim dependant on it being "findable" by others. Otherwise, "FTF" means less than nothing.

Edited by Fogtripper

I know we irked a few FTF nuts last weekend! MiGO had it's Fall Fun Day (event to honor our members I suppose), they had a game which required placing game pieces (letters) in 7 of 12 new caches, our job was to place those pieces.

I told the PTB that this would upset some and I'd just not sign the logbooks, but they insisted, so I did...and I was right! Yes, I was given the coords before others, but if not me, someone else would have had to. A few were upset. No, we didn't take anything (except for one cache which had a geogirls duck in it...a friend's duck at that) even though most had a nice new coin in them.

Hey, we had the coords to all 12 (and there were something like 30+ more new hides in the park as well), we could have FTF'd all of those 12!! And never mind that this took us several hours, we had 2 DNF's, had to go back out early the next morning and finish AND that we couldn't participate in the game...they were upset we got the FTFs...someone had to do it!

With all the work you guys did, you more than deserved FTF's on those caches. I know the battles you had finding them and the time involved. I was tired just watching..lol

Btw, thanks for your great efforts, the game wouldn't have went on without you.

john

With all the work you guys did, you more than deserved FTF's on those caches. I know the battles you had finding them and the time involved. I was tired just watching..lol

john

The question is, should a "private" pre-public hunt FTF be posted on the public cache page as a FTF?

Edited by Fogtripper
This has been discussed many times before in many different threads. Sometimes a cache hider will disseminate waypoint coordinates or even copies of the cache listing page privately -- and prior to publication at geocaching.com -- to friends or via their local geocaching organization, or at an event. In fact, this is a somewhat commonplace practice for some new caches in some parts of the country.

B)

Isn't this a mite unethical?

I am admittedly a noob to geocaching, but this strikes me as something that would warrant an auto-archive.

There's nothing in the guidelines about it, so it wouldn't be archived if the information was given out before it was published.

This has been discussed many times before in many different threads. Sometimes a cache hider will disseminate waypoint coordinates or even copies of the cache listing page privately -- and prior to publication at geocaching.com -- to friends or via their local geocaching organization, or at an event. In fact, this is a somewhat commonplace practice for some new caches in some parts of the country.

:grin:

I am admittedly a noob to geocaching, but this strikes me as something that would warrant an auto-archive.

There's nothing in the guidelines about it, so it wouldn't be archived if the information was given out before it was published.

Seconding Quiggle's note, I must also note -- much as I referenced earlier -- that this matter is rather well-accepted in the geo world, and, in any case, the matter has been VERY thoroughly discussed in a number of previous threads dedicated to that entire topic. I suggest that if you must pursue this topic of pre-publication FTFs further, please feel free to find one of those dedicated threads and resurrect it so that you may discuss the mater there. Please do not continue to derail this thread from the topic at hand (which was, I believe, something about goats...) B)

john

The question is, should a "private" pre-public hunt FTF be posted on the public cache page as a FTF?

I see no problem with it. There were many MANY other ftf's available that weekend. Now had they done all of them with 'inside' information, I could see a beef.

They contacted the organizers of our event, and were giving a blessing by those who were in charge of the caches being placed. Absolutley not a whisper of doubt that they earned their ftf's.

But, for that matter, none of these caches were 'public' until after our event. So does that negate all finds for that day?

Edited by TheDenvernators

john

As I said, I was told to log even after letting them know there might be animosity. Truly, since I was actually FINDING the cache, how would you not call it FTF? I thought it out pretty well before going out, I was not going to NOT sign the log as I was going to count the find, and since I did sign the log, all others behind me were not true FTFs (but one could claim FTFP if they want). No, we didn't take any of the swag or FTF prizes save ONE coin which meant a bunch to me (she being a friend and all)...and there were TONS of nice FTF prizes and swag to be had! And, because of our work, we couldn't be included in the game (we knew where the pieces were after all), so we sacrificed a bit to do all this.

THANKS for the kind words John, we had fun too! But yes, that was truly grueling work lol. ESPECIALLY when we were sent out blind at first and spent over an hour looking for a traditional which was actually an offset! YIKES! After having only one game piece in place before dark, we were a bit worried as to completing our task...and then KAboom forgot to place a piece in the cache with the furthest walk (he had to walk another .3 mile each way to fix that)...with only half an hour before the game was to begin...and STILL one more piece left to place!

I knew you weren't upset Brady, but a few others who spoke with me seemed a bit miffed! I don't think they understood the reason we went out.

ETA: GREAT meeting both of you out there at the event...truly a fun time and was happy to meet up with so many great people!

Oh, and to answer another question: Sometimes caches are put out for events and then published AFTER the event to keep cachers not involved with the event from going out beforehand...a way to reward those attending an event!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

First off, let me get something off my chest:

Goats are very adept at climping over rocky inclines. For this I envy them.

Now had they done all of them with 'inside' information, I could see a beef.

See here is where you lose me. When stats for finds are put online for finders, they are generally compared to (whether or not one agrees with the practice) with the other publicly-tallied stats. Now that said, if only a small number know of the "existance" of the cache, is that not considered "inside information" that is not known (at that time) by the general public? I would contend that if it is not public information, then it is indeed inside information when viewed in the spirit of the public caches.

Not looking to step on any toes here. I am simply facinated with the different points of view on the subject.

So yeah. Goats.

Just weighing in again... if I lived in this area, I'd be a bit intimidated about hiding a cache and /not/ letting this guy get the FTF on it.

Fortunately, I live a good 60 or so miles off. The goats are happier here, too.

For this event, temporary caches became permanent ones. It was a bit of a special circumstance, I don't think it'll be often repeated. But everyone at the event was given a list of all temp and permanent and temp-to-perm caches. HOW this guy managed to get FTF on them all, I still don't know, unless he was given the coords in advance of the event. Maybe for the reason I stated at the top of this post.

I don't care... I mean, I like getting FTF every now and then, but I didn't start the thread to complain about FTF-finders! When I said "FTF-nut", the emphasis was on the 'nut', not the 'FTF'.

:laughing: Let's all be friends! Group hug! Where are the goats?

First, Sioneva, don't take offense to BLOODLUST. He is a Jack@#$! He will even admit to that. In the caching community, I know him best. And trust me, that is one heavy burden. That's why it's me getting kicked in the junk on his profile page. Yes, Vinny & Sue Team, it is VERY funny! I am the butt of many jokes, but if it's funny then it's funny. My self-esteem is well intact.

Hermit Crab: You were dead on with your assessment of BLOODLUST. However, he is very happy to admit to all of that. He knows who is and had no qualms about it. In today's age of hand wringing and counseling, BLOODLUST is a character who knows where he stands and we all know it.

In central Iowa, he is the main competition in the FTF race. Yes, there are others. Bear trax, Bucknuts, and 3AMT. But he is hard to beat, Kit Fox and you would be hard pressed to do so. I don't know your abilities, but I do know my competition's.

Jasta: Wall to wall counseling would not phase BLOODLUST. He is incorrigible. Plus, I would like to see the guy who would do it. BLOODLUST is a big dude.

IowaAdmin changed BLOODLUST's log. He is not one to back down. He also posted mutilple times on a single cache because he was logging the temporary caches he found from the event.

And finally, nice job, BlueDeuce, on your "he's not with us" post. Nice unity. We used to be EIGA (Eastern Iowa Geocaching Association.) Central and Western Iowa bring A LOT to the geocaching table. In all, placing caches, hosting events, volunteering, and finding caches. The last part can be atested to the fact that the 515 area code claimed First, Second, AND Third place at the 2007 Hike-n-Seek held in Marshalltown.

Can't we all just get along? We can, but BLOODLUST can't and won't.

First off, let me get something off my chest:

Goats are very adept at climping over rocky inclines. For this I envy them.

Now had they done all of them with 'inside' information, I could see a beef.

See here is where you lose me. When stats for finds are put online for finders, they are generally compared to (whether or not one agrees with the practice) with the other publicly-tallied stats. Now that said, if only a small number know of the "existance" of the cache, is that not considered "inside information" that is not known (at that time) by the general public? I would contend that if it is not public information, then it is indeed inside information when viewed in the spirit of the public caches.

Not looking to step on any toes here. I am simply facinated with the different points of view on the subject.

So yeah. Goats.

You lost me on this one, would you please explain what you were saying here? Not being mean, just missed the point (I guess).

First, Sioneva, don't take offense to BLOODLUST. He is a Jack@#$! He will even admit to that. In the caching community, I know him best. And trust me, that is one heavy burden. That's why it's me getting kicked in the junk on his profile page. Yes, Vinny & Sue Team, it is VERY funny! I am the butt of many jokes, but if it's funny then it's funny. My self-esteem is well intact.

Hermit Crab: You were dead on with your assessment of BLOODLUST. However, he is very happy to admit to all of that. He knows who is and had no qualms about it. In today's age of hand wringing and counseling, BLOODLUST is a character who knows where he stands and we all know it.

In central Iowa, he is the main competition in the FTF race. Yes, there are others. Bear trax, Bucknuts, and 3AMT. But he is hard to beat, Kit Fox and you would be hard pressed to do so. I don't know your abilities, but I do know my competition's.

Jasta: Wall to wall counseling would not phase BLOODLUST. He is incorrigible. Plus, I would like to see the guy who would do it. BLOODLUST is a big dude.

IowaAdmin changed BLOODLUST's log. He is not one to back down. He also posted mutilple times on a single cache because he was logging the temporary caches he found from the event.

And finally, nice job, BlueDeuce, on your "he's not with us" post. Nice unity. We used to be EIGA (Eastern Iowa Geocaching Association.) Central and Western Iowa bring A LOT to the geocaching table. In all, placing caches, hosting events, volunteering, and finding caches. The last part can be atested to the fact that the 515 area code claimed First, Second, AND Third place at the 2007 Hike-n-Seek held in Marshalltown.

NVG, thanks for hopping in here. The foto and phrase on Bloodlust's profile page at first offended and irritated me, due to its incredibly juvenile hostility, and then it struck me that it was likely the only way he could express affection for you, and at that point it all became very funny to me!

Thanks again for dropping by and explaining a bit more about him!

Now that said, if only a small number know of the "existance" of the cache, is that not considered "inside information" that is not known (at that time) by the general public?

You lost me on this one, would you please explain what you were saying here? Not being mean, just missed the point (I guess).

I whittled it down to clarify.

If not public knowledge, it is insider knowledge. Be it one person knowing the coords for a cache or a select group, if it is prior to being made public, then it is insider.

Capiche? :laughing:

I understood that part, just wondered the point since "inside info" isn't a problem.

If you are talking about what I did at our event, I'll not bother defending the actions again, it's all spelled out and easy to understand. Other than that, if someone goes out and places a cache and asks another to "test" it to assure it's all good and proper, to each their own! It's done, and is accepted. I personally double and triple check my own caches to assure it's good to go, but others might not want to.

Since you really have no control, I wouldn't let it bother you (and when I say you here, I mean that generically).

FTF means First To Find....no matter if they have inside info or found it by accident (which actually happened to one of the caches we placed the pieces in, so truly, we only found 6 FTFs. The other was a hunter who found the cache in the woods and emptied a bunch of the swag before we came to it).

I understood that part, just wondered the point since "inside info" isn't a problem.

If you are talking about what I did at our event, I'll not bother defending the actions again, it's all spelled out and easy to understand. Other than that, if someone goes out and places a cache and asks another to "test" it to assure it's all good and proper, to each their own! It's done, and is accepted. I personally double and triple check my own caches to assure it's good to go, but others might not want to.

Since you really have no control, I wouldn't let it bother you (and when I say you here, I mean that generically).

FTF means First To Find....no matter if they have inside info or found it by accident (which actually happened to one of the caches we placed the pieces in, so truly, we only found 6 FTFs. The other was a hunter who found the cache in the woods and emptied a bunch of the swag before we came to it).

No need to defend your event. I am not knocking/attacking it in any way.

I am simply clarifying my view that posting something as FTF on a public site implies to me (once again, IMHO of course) that it was public knowledge that there was something to find.

This is merely a discussion, not an attack.

Sioneva: I didn't take it as a dig at me. I am only guilty by association. At the event, everyone got the information at the same time. I spent most of my time early with the newcomers explaining how to use those eTrexes. I'll be in Omaha next week.

We have had a few battles in Central Iowa in regards to "hogging" the FTF's, but it is a competition. We had a IGO board member allude to the fact we need to give others a chance. That would be like telling the batter what pitch was coming next. Put any other sports anology here.

And there's none of that pre-published garbage going on when I write a cache. To me, that would be a hollow victory.

In regards to the multiple-logging of caches: All of the events in Iowa, I have attended allowed logging finds for each temporary cache that was found.

I know not everyone "believes" in this philosophy. From my viewpoint, a find is a find. After that, it is just logistics.

No need to defend your event. I am not knocking/attacking it in any way.

I am simply clarifying my view that posting something as FTF on a public site implies to me (once again, IMHO of course) that it was public knowledge that there was something to find.

This is merely a discussion, not an attack.

Not taken as an attack FT, no harm no foul! :laughing: I just didn't want to defend it further.

... From my viewpoint, a find is a find. After that, it is just logistics.

I agree. The thing is that for event only caches the find its for a cache that isn't listable on this site. The logistical problem then becomes what all caches should be logged on this site vs somewhere else. After all another perhaps even more logisitly acceptable solution is to claim the find on Keenpeople where you can total up all your finds from variouse sources. Including the caches not actually listed anywhere.

john

I think it's cheesy to do the FTF dance, if it's not open to all, to make it an actual competition. However finding a cache pre-publication is acceptable.

Case in point. I've always maintained that Event caches that are intended to be logged have it so Event Attendees find them first (The Event Bonus) then later they are listed and logged accordingly.

As I said, I was told to log even after letting them know there might be animosity.

Some might argue that you were told to log them as FTFs to cause animosity. Seems there are some hard feelings held by one party in charge towards one of the more prolific FTFers at the event. Don't worry though, that prolific FTFer doesn't harbor any bad feelings towards you at all!

I agree with Rod. Doesn't matter how you define it: prepublished, beta testing, etc. First to sign the log book is the FTF. I've been on the losing end of prepublished FTFs before and know the feeling. But their name is still in the book first.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

NVG, I'm glad to hear you say that you're not in league with the creep. In reading his profile, one can see that he has quite an affinity for you. He has your handle on some of his cache hides. I'm not sure why you tolerate him since you know what a jerk he is.

Why didn't you include yourself in that list of FTF'rs? You have an impressive count yourself, including some of the ones placed by him.

As for the counseling, one should never under estimate an opponent.

One last thing. Did you let him kick you in the nads like that, or did he just haul off on your groin without warning? :laughing:

Inquiring minds want to know.

NVG, I'm glad to hear you say that you're not in league with the creep. In reading his profile, one can see that he has quite an affinity for you. He has your handle on some of his cache hides. I'm not sure why you tolerate him since you know what a jerk he is.

Why didn't you include yourself in that list of FTF'rs? You have an impressive count yourself, including some of the ones placed by him.

As for the counseling, one should never under estimate an opponent.

One last thing. Did you let him kick you in the nads like that, or did he just haul off on your groin without warning? :laughing:

Inquiring minds want to know.

You might want to watch how you word things...personal attacks (even on those not in the forums) is frowned upon.

I don't know about all that Deane, but then, conversation wasn't very long as we were both in a hurry to get everything set up. Actually, I was told to log them by the missus (if we're both talking of the same person) as she said it WAS a find after all. I knew there would be trouble in the end, but I also knew I was going to log findds whether FTF or just as a find. Since they were actual FTFs except the one, I guess it couldn't be done any differently.

I had a great time at the FFD, sorry I didn't have time to socialize a bit more afterwards though. I wanted to come back and "celebrate" :laughing: , but was given a beer and wasn't wanting to drive back until later...Tod got sick, KAboom fell asleep (party poopers). It just wasn't meant to be! Was great to meet you though!

OH, there wasn't any FTF dance RK, I don't dance very well and would have looked pretty silly out there. Besides, by the time we found 4 on the first night, we were too darned tired (some really were that hard) to do much more than stumble (we must have walked over 10 miles that night)! The FTFs for those was more honorary (or work related depending on how you want to see it) than deserved! I don't keep track of FTFs, so they didn't mean much to me!

OK, sorry for the disruption in your scheduled program, please carry on!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I agree with Rod. Doesn't matter how you define it: prepublished, beta testing, etc. First to sign the log book is the FTF. I've been on the losing end of prepublished FTFs before and know the feeling. But their name is still in the book first.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

And if that happens too often with one persons caches, then people might start avoiding that persons caches. I got soured on that when a husband logged a prepublished FTF log on his wifes cache. If a cache is launched at an event and only an event attendee could get a FTF, well thats just life. But beta testers shouldnt get FTF honors I think. Fortunately its not much of a problem around here.

How do these caches have finds logged before they are published? Am I missing something? :laughing:

:laughing:

Not much to say about a first to find...if only you were privy to it's existance.

Someone rats out his cache early. Another someone goes to it and signs the log. Then when it is published, they log FTF because they signed the log first. Big deal.

People THAT desperate for an FTF deserve our sympathy, not our scorn. Even though they are rats. :laughing::santa::(

Edited by Team Cotati

Not trying to add fuel to the fire re: the Michigan event last weekend - but 6 days before the event, a note was posted to the event page stating that coords for 16 of the new caches would be available Friday afternoon for those folks who arrived early and were camping Friday night. If anybody was there early and wanted to go hunting for caches, or FTF's, the opportunity was there. I'm sure that list would NOT have included those caches that were specifically used for the game, which is to be expected.

Had NumberOneWife and I really wanted to go out hunting Friday afternoon, possibly even get some FTFs, we could have hung around the campground and got the coords. We elected to go to the RV show instead, and do some heavy-duty dreaming in an air-conditioned environment. :laughing:

I don't think the emphasis of the event was on FTF's; the emphasis was on geocaching. From my standpoint - if FTF's were the only thing that made caching worthwhile, I'd have given up on it a long ago.

Without Rod and the others who went out Friday night putting the letters place there would have been no game. It was hot that night, in addition to being mighty dark, and it would have no doubt been a lot more fun sitting around the campsite with friends. The game, by the way, was a blast - even in the extreme heat. Our thanks to Rod and crew for their efforts in getting everything into place. We sure weren't paying attention to whose hame was first in the log book.

You might want to watch how you word things...personal attacks (even on those not in the forums) is frowned upon.

Come again?

Name calling is a no-no in the forums.

THANKS for the kind words Typowiz, it was a lot of work and we were sweaty....but we had a load of fun all the same!! I'm glad you had fun with the game, we were happy to jump in and help!!

October 6 by [FTF NUT] (519 found)

***FTF***

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE **censored** "Sioneva" FOUND BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE LOGBOOK IT CLEARLY STATES [FTF NUT] IN RED INK "FTF"

THAT**censored**MIGHTWORKWITHSOMEONEELSE

I know others have run into this sort of thing, but it's the first time for me. The pity is, that the event run by the placer of the cache was great otherwise, and there are a lot of caches in that area... but I'm kinda soured on the idea of going back there to hunt any of them now. Which is an overreaction, I know, but.

Ha ha, wow. Yea nut is right. :anibad: NUT HELL!! I'M PSYCOTIC :anibad:

I've thought I was FTF when I was actually signing the back of the log and there were plenty of signers on the correct front page (it was dark OK) before, and there's nothing wrong with correcting someone else's mistaken log, but wow.

:mad: YEAH BUT WHEN THE LOGBOOK IS CLEARLY MARKED WITH A FIRST TO FIND SPOT, AND SECOND TO FIND SPOT BY THE OWNER. & IN RED INK THERE IS A NAME AFTER THE FTF THAT MEANS YOU GOT BEAT. JUST CAUSE YOU AIN'T ALL THERE IN THE HEAD, DON'T MEAN THAT YOU JUST GET TO CLAIM RANDOM CACHES AS FTFS! :mad: THAT DON'T FLY IN MY HOOD :mad:

That cacher is in a game all his own! :D TRUE DAT I STRAIGHT OWN THE 515 :D MY GAME, MY HOOD :anitongue: HAS ANYONE OUTTA THE 515 EVEN POSTED ANYTHING? OR IS IT JUST ALL YOU PEOPLE LIVIN IN YER MAMAS BASEMENT POSTIN CRAP ABOUT ME? :laughing: LIKE I GIVE A CRAP ANYWAYS :laughing:

:anibad: BLOODLUST AIN'T FOR ALL!!!JUST THE HARDCORE :anibad:

I hope we are way past name calling.

Jasta11: I can't explain it, but BLOODLUST and I just click. He might be a j#&**s, but I am not exactly perfect myself.

On the FTF's, I was just being modest.

As to the nad thing, I didn't even see it comin'! Sang soprano for a week!

Moderator, please close this thread. Apparently I'm not quite right in the head. But I don't need more insults piled on for a simple mistake.

To everyone posting about FTF issues, I'm sorry. But you can continue in another thread. :D

NVG... My sympathies. But I won't be going anywhere near your area of Iowa any time soon.

Bloodlust... do I even need to tell you where to go? Nah, I'll keep it family friendly.

That cacher is in a game all his own! :anibad: TRUE DAT I STRAIGHT OWN THE 515 :D MY GAME, MY HOOD :anitongue: HAS ANYONE OUTTA THE 515 EVEN POSTED ANYTHING? OR IS IT JUST ALL YOU PEOPLE LIVIN IN YER MAMAS BASEMENT POSTIN CRAP ABOUT ME? :laughing: LIKE I GIVE A CRAP ANYWAYS :laughing:

Wow. All I can find myself wanting to ask is this:

Do you envision yourself as Snoop Dog, or Vanilla Ice?

or...ARE you Vanilla Ice?

That cacher is in a game all his own! :mad: TRUE DAT I STRAIGHT OWN THE 515 :D MY GAME, MY HOOD :anitongue: HAS ANYONE OUTTA THE 515 EVEN POSTED ANYTHING? OR IS IT JUST ALL YOU PEOPLE LIVIN IN YER MAMAS BASEMENT POSTIN CRAP ABOUT ME? :laughing: LIKE I GIVE A CRAP ANYWAYS :laughing:

Wow. All I can find myself wanting to ask is this:

Do you envision yourself as Snoop Dog, or Vanilla Ice?

or...ARE you Vanilla Ice?

:anibad:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1P2Aq-_cYk :anibad: