Exit Strategy

The Moops

For the sake of argument, let's say a cacher has been collecting coins for a few years now and has amassed a nice collection. This collection includes quite a few rare older coins and many coins that have conditions attached to their use.

Now this cacher has decided to get out of this aspect of the hobby. No illness or financial hardship, just time to do something different. Is there an accepted method for moving on to new horizons?

For the sake of argument, let's say a cacher has been collecting coins for a few years now and has amassed a nice collection. This collection includes quite a few rare older coins and many coins that have conditions attached to their use.

Now this cacher has decided to get out of this aspect of the hobby. No illness or financial hardship, just time to do something different. Is there an accepted method for moving on to new horizons?

As far as I know, the most acceptable, and graceful way to bow out is to send all of your coins for me.

I will make sure things are handled per the original owners instructions.

:laughing:

Sorry, once you're in this, it's for life. No exit strategy. I think it's written in the fine print somewhere. :laughing:

Anything you bought or traded for, that did not come with a do not sell clause, can be sold. Anything gifted to you should either be returned, or traded or coins that you can sell off. Things like Mystery Coins should not be sold, but either returned to the gifter, gifted to another cacher, or simply placed in a cache for another to find. It didn't cost you anything and you really shouldn't profit off of someone else's charity. Just my thoughts of how I would do it.

I think the exit strategy is based on a few things.

1) How do you want to be remembered? I say this only partly tongue in cheek. The "rules" that come with some coins really only apply if you want to be an accepted member of the coin community, so if you are leaving the coin community and don't care what others think of you when you are "gone" do whatever you want. (This isn't meant to be harsh, I just don't know another way to put it).

2) Your own feelings. But this ties to #1, I suppose. If you've always operated with what you would define as integrity, then I assume you would leave with that same integrity and handle coins the same way you did when you were "in" the community.

I realize this is a general question, so I use the word "you" to represent anybody in this position.

Or maybe it's like a gang - blood in, blood out. I don't know.

This post brought to you by the Association of Fence Sitters.

Edited by kealia

Anything you bought or traded for, that did not come with a do not sell clause, can be sold. Anything gifted to you should either be returned, or traded or coins that you can sell off. Things like Mystery Coins should not be sold, but either returned to the gifter, gifted to another cacher, or simply placed in a cache for another to find. It didn't cost you anything and you really shouldn't profit off of someone else's charity. Just my thoughts of how I would do it.

I whole heartedly agree with pghlooking on this. Gift or return those that are Mystery Coins or have conditions attached to them; sell or trade the rest.

(I'm glad Jim wrote it first - saves me some typing! :laughing:)

I whole heartedly agree with pghlooking on this. Gift or return those that are Mystery Coins or have conditions attached to them; sell or trade the rest.

(I'm glad Jim wrote it first - saves me some typing! :))

Ditto! or tritto?? I agree with the above too. :laughing:

If you are leaving coin collecting for good...or even not...you can do what you wish with your coins. They are in your posession and they are yours. If you want to sell all of them, it's your right.

All these silly "rules" about coins are just plain stupid. No one can tell you what to do with your stuff...and anyone who presumes to think otherwise needs a swift dose of reality.

You should probably do what is in your heart and surely try to be considerate of the community, when it comes to those very extra special geocoins (I know, they are all special).

Me, I'd keep them, drill a hole in each one and use them for Christmas (or insert your favorite Holiday shrubbery here) Tree ornaments for the rest of my life. Oh, the memories each year, as I hung up each one...

Have you ever priced really nice ornaments?

On a more serious note, anything commercially sold is always fair game. On the others, like others have said, if you don't mind people being ticked off and possibly getting some hate mail, you are free to do what you want with them. My personal recommendation is to trade them off for good commercial coins that can be sold, allowing the trade only coin to remain in a collection.

Good luck with your sales.

Okay I agree with the follow your heart, but at least take a picture of them for the memories. Just my $0.01. Good luck :laughing:

Comes down to the point, the owner can decide what to do with the coins. There are no rules, statutes, laws about coins.

The owner has to decide the exit stratergy. What is the owners value system?

Some coin decisions will be easy,

- sell in whatever venue of the owners choice. Buyers will come.

-hold a going away part and give the coins away

-donate to charity auction

the list can be endless

Mystery coins- would be nice to do one or two of the following:

-return to giver

-pay it forward

Mystery coins should continue with the original intent, they were given to cachers free will, they need to be returned to cachers the same way.

What is the legacy you want to leave? Do you really care what the coin community thinks?

Accordiongal

I did not read all of the post but if one of your questions is how to get rid of older trade only or coins that you dont have the icon to is to trade them for a group of coins that you can sell.

I sold a trade only geocoin on eBay very early on into my coin collectioning days and at the time saw nothing wrong with it. After being a collector for almost two years I now know that is was a stupid mistake to not honor the coin makers request.

Edited by Team Jsam

All these silly "rules" about coins are just plain stupid. No one can tell you what to do with your stuff...and anyone who presumes to think otherwise needs a swift dose of reality.

Take a look around this community we've built ourselves here, and you'll notice there's a lot of people doing nice things for each other. People have gone so far as to mint and send out coins for free without expecting anything in return. Why do they do it? Because people like nice. Nice makes them feel good.

So...if everyone just turned around and sold off the gifts they were given, you'd probably see the "nice" go away pretty quickly, dontcha think? :laughing:

Whether you want to believe it or not, most people are choosing to respect a very well-intended "geocoiners code" that simply says they shouldn't take these actions for granted.

If that's "just plain stupid", then maybe you just don't get it.

I tried an exit strategy a year and half ago, donated or gave away most of my coins and let me be the first to announce my boomerang coin... cause I came right back after 10 months. :D Good to see that the coins I am trying to get back now go for 3 times the price on ebay. :laughing:

I would say... take a break. Put the coins away in the attic and move on, go play Jumanji. You'll be back unexpectedly. :)

Sorry to see you go.

Just by your post, it seems as if you want to do the right thing. If you were concerned only about making a profit, you would have put all of your coins on eBay without posting this thread.

With that being said, it is generally acceptable to sell coins that have been sold publicly in masses (excluding auctions for charity). I've seen some take the approach lately with the non-sold coins (i.e. trade only) to trade them to someone for coins that are socially acceptable to sale in auctions, making sure that they went to someone who didn't have the coin or someone that was less likely to sell it. IMO, mystery coins should be placed in caches - gifted coins sent back.

In the end you need to do what you feel is best for your conscience.

....Anthus

How ironic that a thread of this nature gets brought up, as I wonder daily what I am going to do with the $6000 to $10000 dollars worth of coins I have amassed.

Here is the deal, I feel as if I am a respected member of the geocoin community. I want to remain that way, yet I would really like to liquidate some of my older coins. These coins sit in boxes and have sat there for some time.

Here is the catch, some of these coins date back to when I got started, not only do I not know who they came from, but most of them I don't know if they where trades or bought. Being older coins these coins cannot be advertised here so there is only one option.

PLEASE NOTE DISCLAIMER:

There are many personal coins that I possess that are near and dear to me, they will always remain this way. My intent is not to offend anyone rather to clean out some boxes and to recoup some money back that I have invested into this hobby.

Also please note, the liquidation will not include any Mystery coins!!! Again I mentioned older coins.

I'd agree with Avroair here. Set the coins aside for a few months or a year. Unsubscribe from the forums. Take down your trader list(s). Go outside. Cache in a new state or twenty.

Then as you see coins in caches that make you long for those old geocoin collecting days, come on back and meet the new collectors who will be very happy to trade the new coins coming out at that time for your rare (1-yr old) GCC coins, etc.

I tried an exit strategy a year and half ago, donated or gave away most of my coins and let me be the first to announce my boomerang coin... cause I came right back after 10 months. :D Good to see that the coins I am trying to get back now go for 3 times the price on ebay. :laughing:

I would say... take a break. Put the coins away in the attic and move on, go play Jumanji. You'll be back unexpectedly. :)

Sorry to see you go.

I agree with this too.

How ironic that a thread of this nature gets brought up, as I wonder daily what I am going to do with the $6000 to $10000 dollars worth of coins I have amassed.

Here is the deal, I feel as if I am a respected member of the geocoin community. I want to remain that way, yet I would really like to liquidate some of my older coins. These coins sit in boxes and have sat there for some time.

Here is the catch, some of these coins date back to when I got started, not only do I not know who they came from, but most of them I don't know if they where trades or bought. Being older coins these coins cannot be advertised here so there is only one option.

I've been thinking this way too and have slowed down majorly on buying any new ones. The commercialization of the coins have really been the major factor in slowing me down. I enjoy the personal coins that people really put thought into when making them and seem to like the non-trackable, non-sold ones better.

I agree with the "hang on for a bit" opinion.

I've always collected coins for the "souvenir/memory" aspect. I've also picked up a couple of just beautiful ones as well. So it's not so much a coin collection to me as it is a reminder of good times. I display my coins in my home.

No matter what, those coins mean something to me.

I've also told my husband (who likes the coins but has NO clue what was traded or gifted or what,) if something happens and I'm not around and he NEEDS to - list them on Ebay and don't worry about how we got any particular coin.

Lord knows if it's bad enough, I don't want my husband trying to identify coins when he or I are in real need, as much as I value this community.

Take a look around this community we've built ourselves here, and you'll notice there's a lot of people doing nice things for each other. People have gone so far as to mint and send out coins for free without expecting anything in return. Why do they do it? Because people like nice. Nice makes them feel good.

So...if everyone just turned around and sold off the gifts they were given, you'd probably see the "nice" go away pretty quickly, dontcha think? :laughing:

Whether you want to believe it or not, most people are choosing to respect a very well-intended "geocoiners code" that simply says they shouldn't take these actions for granted.

I get it quite well. There are many very good and decent people here, and they do many great acts.

What you don't get is...or rather choose to conveniently forget more likely...is that while there are a lot of nice people in this community there are many people who are simply the proverbial wolves in sheep's clothing, ready to pounce on anyone who dare breaks the status quo.

Let me ask you this:

• Do "nice" people lambast a person because they wish to sell their own property as they see fit?

• Do "nice" people think their $3 piece of metal is worth so much that they ask others for two or three of their $3 pieces of metal when negotiating a trade?

• Do "nice" people utilize a gang mentality against anyone that thinks differently than they?

• Do "nice" people conveniently forget the many times a certain $3 piece of metal was reminted and received with glee yet bash someone who chooses to do the very same thing?

Finally...and most importantly...

• Do "nice" people become so obsessed with their $3 pieces of metal that they forget about the people...even putting those $3 pieces of metal over human beings?

Nice people indeed.

I don't paint everyone in the above questions; those that feel (or should feel) guilty when asking themselves what I have asked know who they are. Don't get me wrong...I love to death many, many people here and would do anything for them. However...don't preach to me about how "nice" this community is when I see people engage in one of the five examples I illustrated above on a regular basis.

The so-callled "code" is a sham at best. Your coins, your perogative to do as you wish. I cannot tell you what to do with your property, so where do you gain the authority to even hint at what I should do with mine? I know, I know...it's all about this ill-percieved ideal of "integrity" as if there was even such a thing attached to a crummy collection of metal.

Anyone...and I do say anyone...who thinks otherwise has been drinking the collective kool-aid for a wee bit too long. They are the ones that put a $3 hunk of metal over the person, and that is sad.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

I get it quite well. There are many very good and decent people here, and they do many great acts.

What you don't get is...or rather choose to conveniently forget more likely...is that while there are a lot of nice people in this community there are many people who are simply the proverbial wolves in sheep's clothing, ready to pounce on anyone who dare breaks the status quo.

Let me ask you this:

• Do "nice" people lambast a person because they wish to sell their own property as they see fit?

• Do "nice" people think their $3 piece of metal is worth so much that they ask others for two or three of their $3 pieces of metal when negotiating a trade?

• Do "nice" people utilize a gang mentality against anyone that thinks differently than they?

• Do "nice" people conveniently forget the many times a certain $3 piece of metal was reminted and received with glee yet bash someone who chooses to do the very same thing?

Finally...and most importantly...

• Do "nice" people become so obsessed with their $3 pieces of metal that they forget about the people...even putting those $3 pieces of metal over human beings?

Nice people indeed.

I don't paint everyone in the above questions; those that feel (or should feel) guilty when asking themselves what I have asked know who they are. Don't get me wrong...I love to death many, many people here and would do anything for them. However...don't preach to me about how "nice" this community is when I see people engage in one of the five examples I illustrated above on a regular basis.

The so-callled "code" is a sham at best. Your coins, your perogative to do as you wish. I cannot tell you what to do with your property, so where do you gain the authority to even hint at what I should do with mine? I know, I know...it's all about this ill-percieved ideal of "integrity" as if there was even such a thing attached to a crummy collection of metal.

Anyone...and I do say anyone...who thinks otherwise has been drinking the collective kool-aid for a wee bit too long. They are the ones that put a $3 hunk of metal over the person, and that is sad.

So, because "some" people do it, we should all do it? That is drinking the collective Kool-Aid and I am thinking you truly don't get it.

Let's all go mug someone.

Let's all go steal a car.

Let's all go beat up our wife, or husband.

Let's all go drink and drive.

Some other people are doing it, must be OK!! Pass the Kool-Aid :)

Edited by prntr1

Anything goes.

Destroy them,

Give them away,

Auction them for charity.

Give them to someone else to auction for charity.

Sell them for fun.

Sell them for profit.

Leave them in caches and make a lot of peoples days.

You enjoyed collecting them, enjoy getting rid of them is probably the only real rule of thumb I'd use.

For coins with restrictions. Don't bother collecting them. If you don't own then, there is no point to them being in your collection. If you do...the restrictions don't matter. If you leased them, return them to the land lord. (so to speak).

....So...if everyone just turned around and sold off the gifts they were given, you'd probably see the "nice" go away pretty quickly, dontcha think? :D...

People should be nice because they like being that way. If I give a pan handler 5 bucks and see him later with some MD 20/20, it may give me pause, but only for that one person. It was still a nice thing to give him the 5 bucks.

If because they didn't do ask I wished with my gift I quit for all people, I really wasn't that nice to begin with.

People can adapt and remain nice as well. There is no rule that said I have to give that pan handler 5 bucks. I could buy a Big Mac and give that to him. Still nice.

I've always thought that if the time comes that I don't want the coin collection anymore I will just activate them all and put them in caches...someone will be thrilled!

Especially if they're all in the same cache! :mad:

The challenge has been set.

Thats one big cache!

I liked Tang and I usually didn't mix it with water. Yummy powder right off the spoon.

I haven't seen Tang in years! Is it still around? But having it straight... hmmm - you're strange! (IMHO) :D

Edited by keewee

I gotta go with Kealia and PGHLooking's POVs. They make the most sense to me.

Pass the kool-aid!

All family ties aside, color me old school. I prefer grape :o

I thought you liked PINK :D

What? No one likes the green Kool-Aid?

I had green Kool-Aid for lunch!!

I also just had an excellent idea, maybe one of these nice people can run with. A Kool-Aid coin!! Yes, pick your color and drink your fill :mad:

I've always thought that if the time comes that I don't want the coin collection anymore I will just activate them all and put them in caches...someone will be thrilled!

Maybe I'm just weird, but I cant imagine ever getting rid of my most precious preciousnesses. I could give away the least precious of the preciousnessess, but for the truly precious....they have to stay with me forever... :mad::D

As for the Moops - they are in the category of truly nice people - thanks for your generosity :o