GPX Sonar

The site has been down about a week and geocaching.com has even dropped the link from their software page. I had just read that there was a new version that would export a gpx file and I wanted to download it, but the site was already down or gone or whatever! Does anyone know how to download a gpx file from Sonar? I really like the Express Logger but it requires a gpx file.

Edited by normasgirl

That link starts a download of a zip file with no obvious markers etc. I apologise but I can't trust a link that!

I understand your concern but the link is realy allright.

Inside the downloaded zipfile, "15766.zip"there is another zipfile : "gpxSonar.zip"

I even don't understand why they called the zip in that way but still its ok :D

I just downloaded myself AND installed it on PDA to verify the version ...its version 1.4.0

Trust me and download !

Mister_X

If you're still wanting/needing GPXSonar here's a site that works:

http://home.comcast.net/~fabienroyer/

That's an older version though.....I have 1.4 currently installed.....guess it's better than version 0.0 though -_-

The version I got from that site is 1.40. But, there's another site tho dunno how long it will last. has other files too. I think it is still the Groundspeak site, but grab what you can while you can. Click the "files" button on top of the screen.

http://gpxsonar.homeip.net/cs/Default.aspx

That's the proper GPXSonar Homepage which was down for a while. Unfortunately it looks like the author is retiring from geocaching and abandoning future development of the program.

http://gpxsonar.homeip.net/cs/blogs/announ.../11/06/449.aspx

It looks like he's gooing to keep all the files etc available on his homepage though:

http://froyer.spaces.live.com/

The link on the spaces page takes you to the link I supplied so go and get it now before it goes away!

http://gpxsonar.homeip.net/cs/Default.aspx

The link on the spaces page takes you to the link I supplied so go and get it now before it goes away!

To make it easy, this is the direct link:

GPXSonar+SourceCode

This is what the developer say's :

"15 november

Retiring the GpxSonar server

Today was the last day of the GpxSonar server. After working on GpxSonar for over 3 years and running the site supporting it for over 4 years, I'm calling it quits. I have stopped Geocaching over a year ago and I've lost my motivation for working on GpxSonar. It will remain available for download from this page and I'm including the C++ source code in case someone wants to pick up where I left off. Thanks to all of you who have supported the software and the site with your time and donations, it was greatly appreciated. Take care and so long..."

Mister_X :)

Bummer that. It's a great product for the PPC.

That is too bad.

I work on BackCountry Navigator. I am willing to do what I can to get some of your favorite features from GPXSonar into BackCountry Navigator.

The software isn't free, but you can download a trial and make suggestions for free. The best way to make suggestions is through email or the forum at the website.

Original author is out of geocaching but he posted the source code and the start of a version 1.5.

A geocacher from Spain has picked it up and posted it at http://cid-1650b0281518aa1b.skydrive.live....wse.aspx/Public

However, make sure you read his notes because there are some things that do not work correctly. It looks like he knows some programming and is fixing the glitches. I hope so, I think it is a great program. I have used it as my paperless program for over 4 years.

Webfoot5

/GpxSonar%20Geocaching%20application%20for%20the%20Pocket%20PC%20+%20Source%20code

Sounds like the guy who developed GPXSonar will let someone take it over if they want to keep it going.

Personally, I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

I haven't really seen any other large amount of work on this, but MariettaGecko and I have been thinking about doing some work on the code as well.

In that regard, is there interest in us actually extending the software with new functionality, or just doing some basic bug fixing?

I'm just trying to gauge how much interest there still is in this program, since it has fallen somewhat out of view.

Original author is out of geocaching but he posted the source code and the start of a version 1.5.

A geocacher from Spain has picked it up and posted it at http://cid-1650b0281518aa1b.skydrive.live....wse.aspx/Public

However, make sure you read his notes because there are some things that do not work correctly. It looks like he knows some programming and is fixing the glitches. I hope so, I think it is a great program. I have used it as my paperless program for over 4 years.

Webfoot5

/GpxSonar%20Geocaching%20application%20for%20the%20Pocket%20PC%20+%20Source%20code

Sounds like the guy who developed GPXSonar will let someone take it over if they want to keep it going.

Personally, I wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

I'm not quite sure what 'field note' support is, but I've added enhancement requests for the others to a bug tracker I've set up. Hopefully I'll be able to publish that address in a few days once I've cleaned up the interface a bit.

I'm also curious if anyone out there has found any significant bugs with the "current" 1.5 release. I know of one which involves not being able to open the first cache you choose after sorting the list, but would like to get things stable before working on a lot of new functionality.

the garmin colorado and oregon have the ability to type up a log on the gps. you then upload a text file it creates to the gc.com website to semi-automate the logging process. cachemate can do this. it would be great if gpx sonar could to.

gpxviewer and powernotes can do it too.

what rock you been hiding under. sonar has been able to do this since 04. the version ive been running since 04 can auto log, center point caches, bug track, child way point support, and iconic type of caches. the only thing it does not that i wish is work with wm6 & 6.1 with direction for gps enabled device.

I'm not quite sure what 'field note' support is, but I've added enhancement requests for the others to a bug tracker I've set up. Hopefully I'll be able to publish that address in a few days once I've cleaned up the interface a bit.

I'm also curious if anyone out there has found any significant bugs with the "current" 1.5 release. I know of one which involves not being able to open the first cache you choose after sorting the list, but would like to get things stable before working on a lot of new functionality.

One major bug, program locks up when you try to open a cache page that has an empty description field.

When we started caching we used GPXSonar. It was a great upgrade from paper. It wasn't long before we discovered MobiPocket however. MobiPocket is free and maintained by a for-profit organization to push their books. MobitPocket didn't last long either when we discovered how to write the "cache page" to any Garmin Cx/CSx. Today, with the CO and OR, even that is no longer used.

My point is ... GPXSonar was great for its time. Today, there are just too many effective alternatives to allow it to have much of a market. Sorry ... :laughing:

I've used GPXSonar for a few yrs now. I've tried Cachemate and went back to GPXSonar. It's simple to use. No tweaking of the data. Just drop your PQ into your PDA and you're set.

It doesn't get the news because it's for PPC and you'll find more people using Palm. For PPC users tho it's easy enough for even the most novice of user.

It's a really good program and I hope someone picks it up and runs with it.

the garmin colorado and oregon have the ability to type up a log on the gps. you then upload a text file it creates to the gc.com website to semi-automate the logging process. cachemate can do this. it would be great if gpx sonar could to.

gpxviewer and powernotes can do it too.

what rock you been hiding under. sonar has been able to do this since 04. the version ive been running since 04 can auto log, center point caches, bug track, child way point support, and iconic type of caches. the only thing it does not that i wish is work with wm6 & 6.1 with direction for gps enabled device.

i'm not hiding under a rock. i know gpx sonar can take field notes. but, what it most certainly do is export the field notes as a "geocache_visits.txt" file for direct uploading to gc.com for automated logging. this functionality has only been available at geocaching.com since the release of the garmin colorado THIS YEAR. this is the functionality i'd like to see come to gpx sonar. yes, you can do this with gsak, but i'd like the option to skip that step.