Google map changes

K-Ddid

I, for one, like the new map. At first glance, it seems alot cleaner. Only thing is where do I 'bookmark' the caches? (Not that the old 'bookmark' feature on the list worked. I would only get about half of the ones I marked actually added to the bookmark. Any suggestions for that is appreciated)...

Edited by fishingwishing

:laughing: Thank you for the new maps! :)

For me it works perfect using Mozilla Firefox! :D

Some of the features which I really enjoy are

- hiding own and found caches

- small icons (in densely cached areas like here in Germany, less overlay of labels)

- the option to set markers with radius

and, most important to me,

the size of the map on the screen!!!

Again, I personally think that the new maps are a great improvement, keep up the good work!

Isebar

(Team_F&F_aus_F)

Frankfurt, Germany

"Improvement" for the sake of nothing. Very annoying, horrible decision.

We just get used to a nice feature and the powers that be seem to need to change it. The Geocache.Google map was great. The new one...pfttt!

WAY More caches on screen at once.

WAY faster loading times.

Improved filtering options.

Hardly 'nothing'.

The new google maps have a few quirks but on the whole are superior to the old maps.

I notice the maps now have an optional cache listing like the old maps. Looks lke they really are listning, just not communicating well.

Edited by benh57

Neat, clever, smaller icons, lots of advantages - BUT

I am an old techie type person: in other words I print out this page and take it with me when I go to do a bunch of caches. Previously down the right I had all the names of the caches numerically cross referenced to where they were. This was an excellent aid to deciding what to do: even as we were doing them.

Now I have lost this facility: in other words my functionality has moved backwards. Just a simply 'toggle' button to 'see all cache names' would be great. Presumably the code for both displays exists, so this wouldn't be great shakes would it?

Best wishes - kewfriend

- small icons (in densely cached areas like here in Germany, less overlay of labels)

But much harder to see in Hybrid mode.

the size of the map on the screen!!!

| don't get it. It is only about half the height of the old one?

Improved filtering options.

Filtering options are a _lot_ worse. With the old maps you had the full power of the PQ engine. Now it is just a few tickboxes that unselect whenever you pan the map.

I notice the maps now have an optional cache listing like the old maps. Looks lke they really are listning, just not communicating well.

Well, I guess you don't use that particular feature, but it is not at all "like the old maps" - there is no way to relate the cache name back to a location on the map and vice versa.

As I have stated on other threads about the new maps: The icons are way too small when you are in hybrid mode and zooming. They need to be larger or a different color or something. They blend into a green forest area too easily. Make "Hide My Finds" the default setting instead of showing all finds on the map. If I check "Hide My Finds" and then pan the map around, I have to uncheck that setting and then check it again for my finds to get hidden. Just reverse the default and if I want to see my finds, I can check that box. If you don't want to list the cache names on the map, at least have a place to toggle the names on/off if you want to see them. I like having the names when I am going to print of a general map of the caches I am going to look for. The last 2 weekends, I have gone to 2 different lakes with caches around the perimeter and having a map with the names and layout was nice to have.

"Your search was larger than 15 miles. Please zoom in closer." = NOT COOL! I know this has been brought up numerous times during the testing phases but apparently has not been addressed. A variety of ideas on how to address the broader search area were suggested. I had my favorites but would accept basically any one of them as long as the search area is much larger than 15 miles!

The 15 miles is fine for dense urban areas but what about the rural areas where the cache density may be less than 1 for every 15 miles? I can reiterate suggestions if need be but I know they are out there...let's us them!

As I have stated on other threads about the new maps: The icons are way too small when you are in hybrid mode and zooming. They need to be larger or a different color or something. They blend into a green forest area too easily. Make "Hide My Finds" the default setting instead of showing all finds on the map. If I check "Hide My Finds" and then pan the map around, I have to uncheck that setting and then check it again for my finds to get hidden. Just reverse the default and if I want to see my finds, I can check that box. If you don't want to list the cache names on the map, at least have a place to toggle the names on/off if you want to see them. I like having the names when I am going to print of a general map of the caches I am going to look for. The last 2 weekends, I have gone to 2 different lakes with caches around the perimeter and having a map with the names and layout was nice to have.

I like the speedier loading, but as stated above - I don't enjoy having to "re-check" off the "hide" feature each time I pan or zoom on the map. I miss the numbered cross reference too.

I like the new map, but when there are two caches close together there doesn't seem to be a way to pick which one you want. Near me there are two caches with very similar (or perhaps identical) coordinates. One is a puzzle cache, so the coordinates aren't for the final location. I can pick that one but can't pick the other one at the same place.

My opinion: the new Google Map feature SUCKS! :D

Yes, I like the smaller icons instead of the huge bubble map-pins. But that was a minor annoyance that I could live with.

Now, there are three problems:

1) there is no index of cache listings to the right, which would be included when I printed off the page. I did see the "Show Cache Listing" pop-up, but try printing the page when that is being displayed -- the result is overlaid over the map and results in a real mess

2) when the the page is printed (without the "show cache listing" -- just the map) only the middle slice of the map is printed. All the margin stuff on the left and right is still there (Geocaching.com menu/ Zoom to address), but map data is lost!

3) After printing a map, you are no longer able to drag the map to look at a neighbouring area.

Please bring back the old way, and just put small icons with a number attached!

Or put a second hyperlink to

Geocaching.com Google Map Old Way

THANK YOU!

Aloha all from Honolulu...

I too feel overly compelled to chime in on this topic as I really did get better results with the way the google maps were BEFORE the change. If this is the way it is and there is no way to go back to the old way, then I'm going to be very sad indeed. The features I liked most were the way I could drag the map around and if I wanted to quickly look at the cache listing, all I had to do was click on the baloon and the listing would be summarized at the top (without opening a pop-up to open yet another window).

PLEASE bring back the old way, even if you need to add another option to the mapping list:

For online maps...

Geocaching.com Maps

Geocaching.com Google Map (old school)

Geocaching.com Google Map (new school - advanced)

Google Maps

MapQuest

Microsoft MapPoint

Yahoo Maps

Rand McNally

Topozone

Terraserver

Tiger Census Maps

I don't like the new map either.

- I can't display the reference marker coordinates

- The cache icons are not linkable (need to select cache listing)

- The map is not scrolling for me

- Loading the cache info seem longer to me (although the info window is nice)

- Print does not work properly

Sure seems like the beta testers were sleeping on the job.

Without adding anything productive to the discussion, I'd at least like to register my dislike of the new Google maps with an "UGH". Needs to be more than 15 miles; and really, I used the old ones to set up bookmark lists of strings of caches I might like to do when I'm out traveling... so I could see the map, see the caches, put two and two together and voila, convenient. This way doesn't really do anything helpful for me. Casting my vote for the "bring back the old way" too.

AND....just what the heck does the "Link to this page" at the top of the map do? Link what to what? I can click on it but can't tell that it is doing anything. The 15 mile feature where you can no longer see caches is NOT good! I like being able to zoom out and look at different areas in the state and see where there a caches that might be placed relatively close together in more rural areas.

Quite frankly, with the maps the way they are with the 15 mile limit, no cache names listed, the lack of the bookmark feature and the repetitive checking/unchecking "Hide My Finds", I might not have a need to renew my premium membership. The old maps were of more benefit to me and they were part of the free membership.

I can understand the frustrations with the change, as it seems really unproductive to be testing "live on the fly," though I don't seem to be bothered by most of the major issues. I'd say the old version was easier to use (more intuitive) for the way we use the maps, but my only two gripes are the size of the icons—just a couple pixels too small—and the non flexible map height.

I can see what the intent was, but it seems like a step backwards. Keep the features and usability of the original map system, but improve it—don't just change everything for the sake of changing things. It really hasn't helped usability or legibility at all.

And maybe take a cue from eBay and PayPal and run the new version side-by-side with the old version while allowing users to sample the new one, and give you feedback as you develop.

Just a suggestion, I know it's a thankless job. :D

Oh, and all of you having issues with IE, step into the 21st century and download Firefox (www.mozilla.org). You'll wonder why you ever used Internet Exploder.

Edited by upon3

The new version is purely dreadful. The "more than 15 miles" is driving me bonkers. I am halfway through planning a New Zealand trip and now cannot find the clusters of caches by grabbing the map and pulling it around. I have done 1/4 of the country and am despairing of completing the rest before I go.

BRING BACK THE OLD SYSTEM, possibly with the new cache icons.

Disgusted

Near Tumbridge Wells

The new version is purely dreadful. The "more than 15 miles" is driving me bonkers. I am halfway through planning a New Zealand trip and now cannot find the clusters of caches by grabbing the map and pulling it around. I have done 1/4 of the country and am despairing of completing the rest before I go.

BRING BACK THE OLD SYSTEM, possibly with the new cache icons.

Disgusted

Near Tumbridge Wells

Yes, we need to get rid of this useless feature. Have you had the pleasure yet of big grayed-out areas when panning the map around? Please go back to the old maps. And why does it seem impossible to have the old maps and the "beta" version at the same time so they can be tested and have the bugs worked on while we maps that work and are actully useful.

I have to say (as a software developer) that I'm a bit miffed as to why someone would go and make changes to something that worked just fine, when there are literally hundreds of other issues (all discussed in this forum) that require attention. Perhaps you just did it to see if the community at large would respond. Perhaps you were bored of the forum having the same old complaints and you wanted to stir up a hornets' nest. I really don't want to give the wrong impression. I DO think that the site is really great and the work you folks do day in and day out is commendable. I just want to say "If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it!"

And so you don't think that I'm just a whiner complaining about the change (I could care less if my cheese is moved from time to time), I like a lot of the ideas behind the new maps. There are some really cool features that I'm sure will be killer when the kinks are worked out.

But for now the performance is very sluggish and the kinks are very apparent. Perhaps you could return to the old maps for the general public and then have a beta release for the contirbutors of the forum to evaluate until all the issues are resolved.

B) am attempting using mapping for first time today. see we are on to the new maps again. As of right now - using zipcode 45750 the mapping is missing various random blocks. cant get a full map on any position by moving around.

Also appears we have lost the ability to select other mapping sites. This is a very helpful feature as the sat views in other sites are superior in detail in many cases to the google mapping. in more rural areas google mapping is pretty worthless for any sort of close detail.

My vote is still for the old style mapping

Thanks,

Codge-wv

"Your search was larger than 15 miles. Please zoom in closer." = NOT COOL! I know this has been brought up numerous times during the testing phases but apparently has not been addressed. A variety of ideas on how to address the broader search area were suggested. I had my favorites but would accept basically any one of them as long as the search area is much larger than 15 miles!

The 15 miles is fine for dense urban areas but what about the rural areas where the cache density may be less than 1 for every 15 miles? I can reiterate suggestions if need be but I know they are out there...let's us them!

Exactly!!! When I am travelling to e.g. Russia, when searching caches in Moscow I have to scroll for ages!

Neat, clever, smaller icons, lots of advantages - BUT

I am an old techie type person: in other words I print out this page and take it with me when I go to do a bunch of caches. Previously down the right I had all the names of the caches numerically cross referenced to where they were. This was an excellent aid to deciding what to do: even as we were doing them.

Now I have lost this facility: in other words my functionality has moved backwards. Just a simply 'toggle' button to 'see all cache names' would be great. Presumably the code for both displays exists, so this wouldn't be great shakes would it?

Best wishes - kewfriend

i am glad to know that i am not the only one caching this way..the new map is causing me headaches...i do like the smaller smiley face and the ability to hide my finds, but ...

renee

Perhaps the PTB could explain the rationale behind the 15 mile limit.

Some of my questions about it are:

If it is neccessary now, why was it not before.

Is this really an attempt to limit the number of caches in a query; if so, why not use that as a limit rather than an arbitrary distance?

There are tree things that i don't like:

1. the 15 miles thing.

2. my bookmark listing disapearing.

3. the maps are slow now.

The new google maps changes please undo the changes (CTRL + Z) :laughing:

there are some thing i like:

1. nice view.

2. bigger field.

conclusion: back to old maps!!

I have been having much trouble getting rid of Google Map Search. The other day I used it to check on an area and the caches in it with the topography. When I try to do a View Map now on the cache page it keeps taking me to the Google Map Search page which I don't want. I want to go back to the page that had a green background with number icons on the map and a cache listing of those numbers down the right side of the screen. The Google Map Search doesn't even load completely. It is not what I want to view. I e-mailed this problem to Geocache.com but was told due to the recent changes on the website I needed to address this in the forum. Please someone if you have a solution let me know. I don't like Google Map Search.

OMG the new map sucks. The old map worked better because I could List all caches in an area and it would pop up with the names in a cache list and I could print up the Map and use it as a legend. Then print out each cache and put them in a folder. Now I can't do that

There are some key features missing from the new google maps that I really miss:

• The Plus button is gone so you cannot expand the map downwards
  • The popup list is not resizable so I cannot see more at once
  • The highlighting interaction between the cache list and the map symbols is gone!!
  • I do like having the symbol types now and that they are a bit smaller - helps with crowded display

Any chance you cna put some of these features back :laughing: ?

Perhaps the PTB could explain the rationale behind the 15 mile limit.

Some of my questions about it are:

If it is neccessary now, why was it not before.

Is this really an attempt to limit the number of caches in a query; if so, why not use that as a limit rather than an arbitrary distance?

Let me try asking this question again: What is the rationale behind a 15 mile limit? I'm sure you have your reasons or it wouldn't be there. But we can't figure out what that reason is.

:D Not a big fan of the new maps. For one the caches names were listed on the side and had a number correlating with it. I really like it.

Also the "Your search was larger than 15 miles. Please zoom in closer." is all well and good for urban areas but for North and West Texas and Southwest Oklahoma this really stinks. These are very sparse areas as far as caches go and this makes it a lot harder to find caches.

Overall, not real happy with the new maps. Has some good qualities but still liked the old ones better.

Like look of new map and icons. Miss listing on side and being able to scroll over icons and have caches highlighted on side. No doubts about it, 15 mile limit sucks. Need to go back to old map on that one. If you live in a rural area, new map takes waay too loong to plot a route.

Do like new map feature except that if you zoom out more then a couple of sceens

you can't see any caches which is handy if you are looking at different routes to take.

Also at the monemt after scrolling around several pages the whole map locks up.JABs