Title of cache pages has changed (for the worse)

Big Wolf

My inner grammar geek has to look the other way when "A Unknown Cache"... shows up. Needs a couple of lines of code to change the article from A to An if followed by a vowel...

This problem will be easily solved if they just go back to a short title that has all the information anyone needs in the Title. :blink:

GC Code, Cache name, by Owner

:blink:

Currently:

GCNHXQ - A Traditional Cache in Arizona, United States called The Lost Cache up Little Gust James Wash created by the woodcutter

Now can anyone really see that in the title bar?

GCNHXQ - The Lost Cache up Little Gust James Wash created by the woodcutter in Arizona

Wouldn't that be a little more helpful then 10 tabs of

GCXXXX - A Tradi GCXXXX - A Tradi GCXXXX - A Tradi GCXXXX - A Tradi GCXXXX - A Tradi GCXXXX - A Tradi

We also agree. It's pointless the way it is now. It's far better (GCxxxx) - Name of the cache, placed by owner, in somewhere, country.

Why fix something that it ain't broken?

Have anyone asked for a changed for as it is now? :D

I agree with this format. I don't generally use the GC code, just the name, but it's short and I understand that others do use it.

"GC12345 - A Traditional Cache in United Kingdom called..." is not only completely useless, it is also grammatically incorrect. :D

Its now been 5 days since this was changed and from what I can see everyone wants the same thing i.e. to go back to the original or to have the cache name second. (either would be a vast improvement on what we now have)

Does anyone know if there is a formal procedure to communicate this to the people who changed it in the first place or do we have to start the process with all of our the local reviewers?

As this part of the forum is apparently lead by Jeremy & Moun10Bike perhaps they would like to comment.

Edited by Big Wolf

Add me to the list of people who still want it changed back to the old format. It's been a week and I still can't get used to it. On my monitor, the whole title doesn't even fit on screen! That, and every time I glance over the name in a tab and see "GCXXXX - A Multi Cache", I have to remind myself that "Multi Cache" is not the cache's title.

I thought I was the only one getting bugged by this new feature. I'm lazy and sometimes don't log onto my desktop pc for a day or so relying soley on the history in my BlackBerry, but now I can't tell which cache page I'm looking for and when signal is getting weak I don't have the luxury of opening multiple pages.

In this instance I believe the old method was the best method.

I don't use tabs in my browser but i do use the history to bring up previously visited websites. It used to be very nice seeing the name of the cache on that dropdown list but now it shows a GC# and the type of cache which isn't useable for me. I'd like to see the old version come back as well!

Just wish that the site designers would respond as to when its likely when they will turn it back to how everyone wants it as its rediculus that we have to resort to creating scripts to add basic functionality back in!

At this point, it's not "when;" it's "if." I'd like to see the name earlier in the header too. I can't even see the cache name in my history bar in Firefox if I extend it to it's full width!

I agree with most everyone else here. The current arrangement for cache page titles is still awkward to the point of being useless. Give me:

GC#####, Cache Name, by Cachername

That's the only information that really matters, and that's the order in which it should appear. I simply cannot fathom the rationale for cluttering up the cache page title with Cache Type and Location info. Please fix it (again)!

At this point, it's not "when;" it's "if." I'd like to see the name earlier in the header too. I can't even see the cache name in my history bar in Firefox if I extend it to it's full width!

My point exactly! just wish someone would advise us of what is to happen to this even if its not what everyone wants to hear.

If you use Firefox there is a workaround script available for Greasemonkey.

I've talked about 'workarounds' vs. website upgrades in my "Chronological Confusion" topic.

We're making and discussing suggestions here in this forum to the GC.com crew, apparently somebody else made a suggestion (or took it upon themselves) to involve a greasemonkey user, but that's besides the point. My vote is for an official website upgrade (or at least "mod").

If you use Firefox there is a workaround script available for Greasemonkey.

I've talked about 'workarounds' vs. website upgrades in my "Chronological Confusion" topic.

We're making and discussing suggestions here in this forum to the GC.com crew, apparently somebody else made a suggestion (or took it upon themselves) to involve a greasemonkey user, but that's besides the point. My vote is for an official website upgrade (or at least "mod").

The trouble is, this is not a democracy. Groundspeak will make changes to the website if and when and how they want to; your "vote" and mine don't count for anything.

If there is an issue that is driving people nuts, and there's a way around it that will work until an "official" change is made (if one is ever made at all), then my own "vote" is to have it posted here where the issue is being discussed.

(if the Greasemonkey people could write a script to fix the Bookmark problems that have existed for years with no "official" fix, I'd smother them in chocolate and gold doubloons!)

I'll keep this thread active with my echoing call for a return to the GCXXX—CACHE NAME by CACHE OWNER title tab format, or at least a correction to the A before UNKNOWN , EVENT, and EARTHCACHE.

And I'll throw in a bonus plea (posted elsewhere as well) to have someone take a look at the GC.com clock, as Today is Yesterday on my search results page, and has been for some time.

And I'll also say thank you again to the powers that be for providing this amazing site with all of its features, and upgrading it on a regular basis. You rock!

If there is an issue that is driving people nuts, and there's a way around it that will work until an "official" change is made (if one is ever made at all), then my own "vote" is to have it posted here where the issue is being discussed.

I don't argue with having workarounds posted, but since this one was already posted last week, I didn't want it to be considered the 'end-all' every time someone said they'd like the official feature back.

The type of cache could be integrated in to the cache serial code for those that may want that info efficiently displayed on a tab header. For example, GCTxxxx would be a traditional cache. GCXxxx could be the mystery/puzzle/misc. GCMxxxx could be a mulitcache, E for event and so on. The trick would be ensuring that this does not confuse previously designated caches.

Maybe somebody could write a small Greasemonkey script that chops all that extra information from the title?

I use a program called Privoxy, but I don't recommend it for beginners as it can be challenging to configure. I just regex out everything between the GC code and the cache name, and the title is as it should be.

We also agree. It's pointless the way it is now. It's far better (GCxxxx) - Name of the cache, placed by owner, in somewhere, country.

Why fix something that it ain't broken?

Have anyone asked for a changed for as it is now? :lol:

I agree, go back to the way it used to be.

Change for change's sake is not always a good thing...........

I know its subjective but I see that the title of the cache page (as seen at the top of Internet Explorer has now changed to something like

"Geocache GCQWERT in United Kingdom called What the cacher hid by Big Wolf"

Something has changed... Still doesn't have the title early enough to see it, but it doesn't say "Geocache" first anymore. Maybe they are listening albeit slowly. :(

Right now it says "GCXXXX - A Traditional Cache in STATE, COUNTRY called TITLE created by CACHER"

How about "GCXXXX - TITLE, A Traditional Cache in STATE, COUNTRY created by CACHER"

They can leave out 'called' just like they've now left out 'Geocache.'

We'll revert back to the old way of having the waypoint ahead of everything else in the title. Sorry, we didn't realize you all would be so passionate about it. :)

Sometimes you don't know what a good thing you have until it's gone.

It's not that we are passionate about this. We just want something that works! Grammer aside, the plain truth is that the way it is now is not very helpful and is pretty much useless for many of us! :P

I don't use Firefox and don't intend to. But even if i did, i find it rediculous that i would have to try and figure out a greasemonkey script just so i could see the title of the cache. GC# first is ok, title should be second, then add whatever afterwards... :(

So, might we be seeing something done to correct this anytime soon?

I know its subjective but I see that the title of the cache page (as seen at the top of Internet Explorer has now changed to something like

"Geocache GCQWERT in United Kingdom called What the cacher hid by Big Wolf"

It all looks very pretty but try opening up 5 cache pages in IE7 and all you get on the tab is Geocache. Not exactly very helpful and lets face it I know its a geocache and what country I am in so why bother as it just wastes more ink when I print out the pages......:(

Well, you could always just buy a Palm for 30 bucks, CacheMate for 8 bucks (38 bucks), download a pocket query in a GPX file, and never have to print out another page again...... :)

If you you are a Firefox+Greasemonkey user you can use the following script as a workaround to change the title to the desired format until it gets officially changed back.

install

How come somebody hasn't made one of these for searching archived caches? I love greasemonkey and all of the features it provides to Geocaching.com, but I have no clue how to write my own (yes, I have read on how to but it's a wee bit hard) otherwise I would. Anyone know how to write greasemonkey scripts? If so, wanna make one to search archived caches?

Unfortunately, I use IE, and I'm not going to use Firefox, so the greasemonkey script isn't going to work for me. :P

I use both. They are both good at different things and they both suck at some things. It's a good thing that they at least don't overlap the good and bad.

Maybe I should try opera and see if they do better.

I highly-recommend giving Opera a try . . . especially for people who are still on dialup. It is faster, plus it has lots of cool features like Mouse-gestures and Notes . . . although greasemonkey scripts don't work with it . . . :P Firefox is way too slow on this 24K dialup connection for me to make the switch in order to get the benefit from the script.

On Edit . . . I still don't see a productive change in the Title . . . :P

One of my caches has this Title:

GC15D0N - A Multi-cache in California, United States called San Diego County "Historic" Cache Adventure created by Miragee

Sheesh . . . can't it just say GC15D0N - San Diego County "Historic" Cache Adventure by Miragee -- A Multi-cache in California, United States

That order would be so much more useful . . . and it uses fewer characters, saving all those computer bits and bytes. :P

Edited by Miragee
How come somebody hasn't made one of these for searching archived caches?
All Greasemonkey can do is revise a cache page as your browser receives it. It can't reach into the web servers and extract information that Groundspeak doesn't publish. For that, you need to use the secure login you received with your platinum membership.

One of my caches has this Title:

GC15D0N - A Multi-cache in California, United States called San Diego County "Historic" Cache Adventure created by Miragee

Sheesh . . . can't it just say GC15D0N - San Diego County "Historic" Cache Adventure by Miragee -- A Multi-cache in California, United States

Very good suggestion. Let's hope they put the "n" in "An Unknown cache".