Title of cache pages has changed (for the worse)

Big Wolf

I know its subjective but I see that the title of the cache page (as seen at the top of Internet Explorer has now changed to something like

"Geocache GCQWERT in United Kingdom called What the cacher hid by Big Wolf"

It all looks very pretty but try opening up 5 cache pages in IE7 and all you get on the tab is Geocache. Not exactly very helpful and lets face it I know its a geocache and what country I am in so why bother as it just wastes more ink when I print out the pages......:laughing:

Edited by Big Wolf

Absolutely way too much info in the title bar.

We all know that it is a geocache or we wouldn't be there reading the page. I suppose this is some attempt to raise the page's visibility for search engines.

Hope it gets changed.

If that's a case, there may be an easy fix on their end:

If not logged in, just show the new info, starting with "geocache". If viewing the page after login, change it to the old way- waypoint first). Googlebot would never be logged in, so the new version would be sent to search engines.

They already do this for the info text that shows in cache pages when logged out ("this is the original cache type, consisting of...)

Glad to hear this'll be fixed!

While you're at it, why not put the most important stuff right at the front? To me, "most important" is the cache name, and the hider's name. The GCXXXX stuff, whether it's a traditional, etc., belongs in the page, not the title. IMHO.

Clever Cache Name by Geocacher Name (GCXXXX)

These pages are user-generated content, and having the ability to express yourself creatively is a big part of what keeps the game going. Let's show some respect for that content by putting it first.

We'll revert back to the old way of having the waypoint ahead of everything else in the title. Sorry, we didn't realize you all would be so passionate about it. :D

Whew. I came into the forums specifically to see if others had raised this concern and I see it has already been dealt with. The new format was awful, IMO.

To me, "most important" is the cache name, and the hider's name. The GCXXXX stuff, whether it's a traditional, etc., belongs in the page, not the title.
To me, the waypoint name is the most important, as that's what I'm looking for on the tab while I'm working on a different tab (e.g., entering the waypoint number in a pocket query form.)

While you're at it, why not put the most important stuff right at the front? To me, "most important" is the cache name, and the hider's name. The GCXXXX stuff, whether it's a traditional, etc., belongs in the page, not the title. IMHO.

These pages are user-generated content, and having the ability to express yourself creatively is a big part of what keeps the game going. Let's show some respect for that content by putting it first.

No thanks. The unique identifier should be first.

Ah, but what if it's not clever or unique. What if you're opening up some of these 23 caches? They ALL have the same name, but each has a unique GCxxxx(x) code. I'd rather know precisely which page is being opened.

Heck - I'd be happy if the Title of the cache page was ONLY GC****(*)

Oh my. Now it's

GCXXXXX - A Traditional Cache in Location, Location called Clever Cache Name created by Cache Owner

That'll keep some people happy with the GCXXXX in front. But really, look at all the "noise" you have to read before getting to the interesting stuff:

A Traditional Cache - It'll almost always say that

in Location, Location - That'll always be my home territory

called, created - more filler

Clever Cache Name - Finally! Now I know which cache this page is for.

Please please please, could you at least put the cache name second? Then I'll be happy and go away.

I don't think of caches as GCXXXX. (Those are all the same to me.) Caches have names. Like people, that's how I tell them apart.

Oh my. Now it's

GCXXXXX - A Traditional Cache in Location, Location called Clever Cache Name created by Cache Owner

That'll keep some people happy with the GCXXXX in front. But really, look at all the "noise" you have to read before getting to the interesting stuff:

A Traditional Cache - It'll almost always say that

in Location, Location - That'll always be my home territory

called, created - more filler

Clever Cache Name - Finally! Now I know which cache this page is for.

Please please please, could you at least put the cache name second? Then I'll be happy and go away.

I don't think of caches as GCXXXX. (Those are all the same to me.) Caches have names. Like people, that's how I tell them apart.

At least you can SEE the cache name. On my small window, the cache name is always truncated before it starts B)

Personally, I really don't see what was wrong with the way it was before the upgrades were rolled out:

(GCxxxxx) Some cache name by Somebody

Brief and to the point, just as the title should be. There's a very good chance that the user has specifically searched for caches within a given state or country or of a given type, or at least knows, having just read it in the search results, so that really doesn't need to be in the title.

£0.02 B)

I'm still seeing

GC12345 - A Traditional Cache in Pennsylvania, United States called Clever Cache created by SuperCacher

It's very difficult to work with multiple tabs. I think the best format for the tabs is:

GC12345 - Clever Cache by SuperCacher (Pennsylvania, United States)

Really...it is the BEST!

Edited by whistler & co.

I'm still seeing

GC12345 - A Traditional Cache in Pennsylvania, United States called Clever Cache created by SuperCacher

It's very difficult to work with multiple tabs. I think the best format for the tabs is:

Really...it is the BEST!

I'd second that.

Yes, having the cache name second would be so much better than all the 'A Traditional Cache in Pennsylvania, United States called' stuff.

It is great that you put the cache code first so perhaps you could also move the cache name as well since it appears that this is what everyone wants.

Personally I'd endorse Whilstler & co's suggestion of

Edited by Big Wolf

Really...it is the BEST!

I like that, too! Or it could be modified slightly, to include all of the info:

GC12345 - Clever Cache by SuperCacher (A Traditional Cache in Pennsylvania, United States)

Sure it's long, but it's much easier to read than the current (new) format.

Edited by DavidMac

I'm still seeing

Really...it is the BEST!

I'd second that.

Third

Yes, having the cache name second would be so much better than all the 'A Traditional Cache in Pennsylvania, United States called' stuff.

It is great that you put the cache code first so perhaps you could also move the cache name as well since it appears that this is what everyone wants.

Personally I'd endorse Whilstler & co's suggestion of

Oh . . . I agree. Why does all this information have to be in the Title? :laughing:

GCZCPA - A Earthcache in California, United States called Cannonball Wash and the Diablo Formation created by Miragee

Way too much information . . . faint.gif

I would be happy with:

GCZCPA - Cannonball Wash and the Diablo Formation

or, if that other information is necessary for some reason . . .

GCZCPA - Cannonball Wash and the Diablo Formation -- Earthcache (California, United States)

Please, oh please....GC# 1st, Cache name 2nd

Agreed. And nothing else. A title is supposed to be a summary, not the whole novel.

Oh no after the above I think it should have state, country, coordinates, the hint already decoded then the cache description :laughing:

OK just kidding.

Just the GCXXXX and the cache name works for me too. :laughing:

We'll revert back to the old way of having the waypoint ahead of everything else in the title. Sorry, we didn't realize you all would be so passionate about it. :D

Any estimated time on reverting back to the old way?

It's annoying not to be able to see the cache name.

PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST AS, SINCE IT WAS POSTED, THE TEXT HAS UNFORTUNATLY GONE BACK TO AN UNHELPFULL SETTING

Just noticed that the title is now in the format of

(cache code) Cache Name created by Cacher

Many thanks to all at Groundspeak for listening to the above posts and for making the further changes.

Its very much appreciated.

Edited by Big Wolf

My suggestion would be:

Gxxxxxx - "Cache Name" by "Geoname", "Type" Cache in xxxx, xxxx

That was it goes from most unique to the least unique info plus you don't need the filler words like "created", "called" etc.

-40-

Edited by 40

I see GC***** - A [type] in [state] [country] called [name of cache]

Given a choice, I'd rather see:

GC*****, [name of cache] - A [type] in [state] [country]

but that's me.

Now Travel Bugs:

(TB****) Travel Bug Dog Tag - [name of bug]

Why the parenthess? And why not

TB****, [name of bug], a Travel Bug Dog Tag