Hiding a cache vs doing an event

McBurke

Hi. We've hidden our first cache-tons of fun! Now we'd like to do another for Thanksgiving. Our question is what would be the best way to raise food for a food pantry? We're looking for event vs. cache thoughts. We could do a cache and instead of asking people to bring things for the cache, ask that they bring a non perishible food item (of course after we get permission from the pantry) but that could mean items trickling in all year long.

Would it be better to do an event for one day to try and raise food for Thanksgiving? How much turn-out does an event usually have?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hi. We've hidden our first cache-tons of fun! Now we'd like to do another for Thanksgiving. Our question is what would be the best way to raise food for a food pantry? We're looking for event vs. cache thoughts. We could do a cache and instead of asking people to bring things for the cache, ask that they bring a non perishible food item (of course after we get permission from the pantry) but that could mean items trickling in all year long.

Would it be better to do an event for one day to try and raise food for Thanksgiving? How much turn-out does an event usually have?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Caches and events are not likely to be approved if they have an agenda, even if charitable or otherwise well intentioned. Before getting too far along, you should contact your reviewer.

From the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines:

Caches that Solicit

Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

edit: added Guideline text and link

Edited by cache_test_dummies

Caches and events are not likely to be approved if they have an agenda, even if charitable or otherwise well intentioned. Before getting too far along, you should contact your reviewer.

Agreed.

I know that would never fly as an event. Might check with the reviewer about a cache outside the location but you couldn't really push the idea of giving on the listing page.

Why not ask your local reviewer if you would be allowed to ask people to bring food for donation to the hungry if they'd like? In other words, don't make it a requirement, but I would be really shocked if someone came and didn't care enough to bring a can. I don't think it's any different than some of the potluck events I've seen, except the food is meant for people who really need it.

Why not ask your local reviewer if you would be allowed to ask people to bring food for donation to the hungry if they'd like? In other words, don't make it a requirement, but I would be really shocked if someone came and didn't care enough to bring a can. I don't think it's any different than some of the potluck events I've seen, except the food is meant for people who really need it.

If there is any mention of it on the event cache page it would be a no go. There is nothing however keeping someone from passing the word verbally, or in any regional geocaching forum.

Wow. I know that they are against events having an agenda. But "agenda" has such a negative connotation. It's hard to believe that they would view helping the hungry in that manner. I would think it would be along the lines of a CITO event. Like I said, how is it any different than a pot luck type event, except that the food is going to people who actually need a meal. It's helping people without prejudice to religion, race, etc. It's just plain helping. Lost some respect for the site for that one. Maybe they would consider making a different designation for charity causes like clothes and food for the poor, or toys for tots kind of thing. I think that would be nice. And if kept separately, then I doubt would be offensive to others on the site.

While I appreciate your good cause mentality, the issue becomes which charities are ok with the site and geocachers and which ones aren't. Plus, there are folks who become upset with ANY charity coming into their geocachign world.

To make things easier, the choice was made that geocaching.com would only support CITO as their "charity". Beyond that, you can do things with TBs, local forums, etc., but not in the cache pages or events.

I personally think it's a little too black and white, but I can understand their position and it's easier to lay down a blanket "no" than to worry about every time someone pulls up an exception or tries to push the boundary a little more.

KoosKoos:

I can see what you mean. But I was speaking less "charity" as in actual organizatons and more "charity" as in just a group of people trying to do some good. I can understand not wanting to bring in religious groups, or political groups, etc. But, who's going to be offended by helping the poor? I get not wanting to incorporate the Goodwill or Red Cross, etc. I was speaking more Tom, Dick, and Harry want to get people together and oh by the way bring some canned food we can take over to the local food drive to feed the hungry. I really don't think most people would find offense in that.

I should add that I know GC will probably never change their rules regarding this, but they could without hassle. If they make it so that the rule states that there is to be absolutely none that involve any organizations, and the need must be genuine like feeding the poor, not Bob needs a new car. The could make stipulations no differently than they did for the CITO. But, I realize that it's a long shot.

Edited by elmuyloco5

You're right, I guess they are. It's just my personality to steer towards the giving side, so it's hard for me to see how it would be offensive. But, I imagine everything in the world could offend someone. You could even see CITO that way too. The garbage gets taken to a certain dump, that dump is owned by someone. That company could offend people too. I guess, for me, the value of helping those people is worth the small percentage it would offend. It's nice when you can combine an activity that you enjoy and help someone at the same time. It just makes the activity that much more enjoyable.

Wow. I know that they are against events having an agenda. But "agenda" has such a negative connotation. It's hard to believe that they would view helping the hungry in that manner.

Of course feeding the hungry is a good cause. But if you let that one by, the next person will want to place a cache for their pet cause. Nearly everybody has a pet cause and some causes can be controversial. For instance a cache that benefits the Boy Scouts may sound great to some people and offend others. Even organizations that feed the hungry might be controversial. Some have a political bent that might not sit well with those of another political persuasion.

So where do you draw the line? Do we really want to put cache reviewers in the position of deciding what causes are appropriate and which ones aren't?

I think Groundspeak drew the line in a good place. CITO is the approved cause for geocachers and we are all free to support our personal causes - outside of this sport.

KoosKoos:

But, who's going to be offended by helping the poor?

I wasnt going to speak my personal views on this one but have decided to now.

From my personal life experiences, my own observations of close friends and family, and charity work with people who have fallen into the "poor" or "homeless" categories at some stage, I have often noticed some main points:

• Often, homeless / poor are that way from their own doing's,
  • Issues such as bankruptcy from bad business decisions are contributors,
  • Often issues such as alcoholism or drug dependency are contributors,
  • often people in these categories have ability's that they cant be bothered to use,
  • Often people in these categories just fall into the "it's easier for someone to "give me hand outs" than it is for me to get off my own butt.
  • Often these people like the attention they receive from people who feel sorry for them.

Of course, I am not saying that this is ALWAYS the case, just the majority of what I have seen from personal experiences with the homeless and/or poor.

Quite often people in these categories have abilitys that would astound most people, but they get caught in the trap of not having enough $$ funds to get the supplies they need to use their abilities, which could make them money.....

Most of the homeless and/or poor that I have known have had artistic or musical abilities, and some have even had formal qualifications or university degrees.

Some people actually choose to live that way:

I had the chance to meet a millionaire who chooses to live in a cardboard box on the Australian Goldcoast, he made the choice to live in a cardboard box, and live like he was homeless, when in fact, he could easily have bought several homes, cars and a multitude of money making investments which would enable him to live very comfortably.

I personally dont want to see charity stuff on Groundspeak, even in a seperate category, because here in Australia almost every second phonecall is from a charity and the same with visitor's to the front door.

We joined Groundspeak and GC.com so that we could have a nice leisure activity, not another charity based program.

I think that those who would like to do caches for charity should approach their local charities and ask them to set-up a website which is similar to GC.com that DOES allow caches or events to be charity based.

Maybe they could even get someone like the red cross to set up a world wide site where any charity could join and list caches or events?

Lastly, I am DEFINATELY not knocking those who do charity work, NOR am Im NOT saying that I DONT care about these issues, I just want some seperation from my personal life and charity life.

I understand what your saying, and I'm not trying to harp on this, but I found a point that I wanted to address in your post. Choosing to participate in charity is a personal thing and I can see your point, but I also see the other side too.

You said that you didn't want GC to be a charity based activity. I wouldn't want it to always be that way either, that's why I said maybe they could make a separate designation for those types of caches (like micros, or CITOs, etc). Then if you don't want to do them, you don't have to. But those who would like to help sometimes, could.

I bet lots of things you participate in or places you patronize contribute to charity without you even knowing it. It's pretty hard to completely separate yourself from others who do charity. But just like those places are requiring you to contribute, neither would what I suggested. You could distance yourself if you choose. Just like there are people who don't like micros shouldn't mean that they cease to exist either. I think there is a place for both sides to be happy.

I think that there is plenty of registered charities out there in our wonderful world, I personally dont want to see leisure interact with charity work, otherwise we could argue that we should have employment caches as well, where people "find" the cache and then complete a work trial for a day without pay, and then if they are good enough they get a job.......

Or, why not have help an elderly caches, where you stick a cache at the letterbox of a senior citizen and after finding the cache you go and mow their lawn, vacume their carpets, do some washing or dishes etc??

I would personally rather this type of cache because I know of loads of senior citizens who cant do these things too easily for themselves, and dont want to live in a nursing home.

*Edit* typo's

Edited by Donald, Daisy + kids

I have to say that is the most bizarre analogy I've ever heard of, but I got a good laugh. It's no biggy. I just think the OP had a good idea. Like I said, I doubt the rules will ever change on it. I still think it would be nice, doesn't matter how many crazy reasons you come up with. You get an "A" for creativity though.

Wonder if a cache asking people to donate to a local zoo to continue habitat research to aid in saving endangered animals would force us to start scooping animal poo at the zoo to give the zookeepers more time. Now that would be a terrible thing!

I've been reading this post and I can understand where everything is coming from. I just think that it's sad though that this is where we're at in this country in the 21st century. A very few people are offended by something silly, and the majority have to bend over backwards to not offend them. This is the greatest country in the world, but there sure are a lot of Americans that disgust me. And it's none of you people. I can't blame Groundspeak for these rules. They don't want any legal troubles from some sensitive douche bag that's easily offended. I just think it's sad that that is the way things are these days. I don't understand why if somebody is offended by something, they continue to participate in it. If it were up to me, I'd say that the feed the hungry cache would definitely be a go. If it offends somebody, then they don't have to participate. Of course, it's not that easy. It just disgusts me. I don't see an end to it any time soon.

I've been reading this post and I can understand where everything is coming from. I just think that it's sad though that this is where we're at in this country in the 21st century. A very few people are offended by something silly, and the majority have to bend over backwards to not offend them. This is the greatest country in the world, but there sure are a lot of Americans that disgust me. And it's none of you people. I can't blame Groundspeak for these rules. They don't want any legal troubles from some sensitive douche bag that's easily offended. I just think it's sad that that is the way things are these days. I don't understand why if somebody is offended by something, they continue to participate in it. If it were up to me, I'd say that the feed the hungry cache would definitely be a go. If it offends somebody, then they don't have to participate. Of course, it's not that easy. It just disgusts me. I don't see an end to it any time soon.

I think this is a complete mischaracterization of what is actually taking place. Groundspeak's public position is not based on concerns over someone being offended. Their position, as stated quite clearly in the listing guidelines, is as follows:

Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Works for me.