Motorway Mayhem Caches

We recently tried to do a MM cache on our way to the Lancashire Event, after using a couple of PAF's and searching at the given co-ordinates for the cache we gave up.

I have just found out the the cache we were searching for is a 5 part multi :D

Is this "allowed" are there are kind of "rules" for MM caches?

We have done several MM caches on our travels up and down the country, most of which are cache and dashes at Service Stations or just off the motorways on slip roads ect.

It seemed a bit odd to us for a MM to be a 5 part multi.

M :laughing:

Not sure on any official rules, however, using the GSAK export script for Memory Map the Motorway Mayhem Icon allocation will only select caches that are Traditional! They are supposed to be fundamentally a cache and dash series aren't they?

Jon.

Not sure on any official rules, however, using the GSAK export script for Memory Map the Motorway Mayhem Icon allocation will only select caches that are Traditional! They are supposed to be fundamentally a cache and dash series aren't they?

Jon.

I know we dont have official "rules" and everyone plays the game how they want to play ect, but I thought that MM caches were a break from drivng and to do a "quick" cache, have a dinkle and a cuppa tea :laughing:

Are any other MM caches multis?

I've just checked the cache is down as a multi, the GC is GCNFBE, try reading the page :laughing: I would never work that out in the 10 minutes we stop for a break :laughing:

M :laughing:

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

I've done a little research on the matter, and as it happens, the very first Motorway Mayhem cache was a multi!

Black Pig & the Piglets came up with the whole concept, and the first cache was published on 22nd of January 2006.

Quoting from the original MM website.

The caches should not be too difficult & should offer a variety of cache types, from straight forward "here are the coords, now go & find it" to small multis maybe involving micros at 1 or 2 junctions on your patch, leading to a final cache.

MikeG, presumably working with Black Pig, also set 5 on that day.

Since the series began at least 9 caches pre-dating MM have been changed to the MM format.

I've actually been keeping a Top100 MM Cache finders chart over the past few weeks (alongside the little Quest chart), it's all part of a bigger website I hope to officially "release" this week.

I would refute that Black Pig & The Piglets came up with the concept. They certainly came up with the corporate branding and related web page, but there were various other caches pre-dating this which had been set soley to provide a break on motorway junctions / services. The enjoyable caches through Northants set by rev n doc predate the Motorway Mayhem epithet, and one of my own was set on 11/21/2004. I later added it to the MM series so that more people could find the listing.

Edited to add - this was not meant to read as a negative comment regarding BP&TP, they have done some good work in bringing it all together, just attempting to give credit where it's due (my own cache was inspired by rev n docs ones).

Edited by Alibags

When I originally had the idea for the MM caches, the concept was indeed to provide a quick off motorway break & maybe include a greasy spoon or cheaper fuel into the bargain. There are no hard & fast rules & I have no control whatsoever on who sets what re, multi, trad puzzle etc. The first cache that I set was a hybrid, where you have to count bridges & do a quick easy sum at the cache site, to find the location. The puzzle bit can be done from the car & maybe keep the kids amused for a nano second or 2 :D . I'd like to think that cache setters would keep to the spirit of the series & keep them quick, easy & clean without long detours & easy access back onto the motorway.

The MM home page is here MM Homepage

PS The page is out of date, apologies to anyone who has been missed off the setters list. Also I don't seem to be able to update the searches since Groundspeak altered the format of the main GC website. I'd appreciate any hints or tips in that direction.

Edited by Black Pig & the Piglets

Just above the cache name on the cache page, in bold letters, is the cache type. eg. "Traditional Cache". Also, just to the left of the cache name is a little picture which is different for each cache type. A traditional cache is a single box with a green lid. If you click on this little picture it takes you to a page telling you all about the different cache type and the different little pictures.

Said page is here:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

Just above the cache name on the cache page, in bold letters, is the cache type. eg. "Traditional Cache". Also, just to the left of the cache name is a little picture which is different for each cache type. A traditional cache is a single box with a green lid. If you click on this little picture it takes you to a page telling you all about the different cache type and the different little pictures.

Said page is here:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

Really ???? :laughing:

As soon as I read the OP I knew it was the one near Tebay. I tried it last August. I parked about 20 feet from the coordinates and did a quick check to see what size box it was before realising it was a multi. I drove on…

Nowt wrong with the one at Tebay, which clearly states that it takes about 20 minutes and provides a beautiful scenic alternative between J38 & J39 and is a multi. It doesn't involve any rough walking, apart from 20m at the end, so fits the idea of the MM series IMHO.

As shown by the logs, people have enjoyed a different sort of break to scratting about in a litter strewn service area for a 35mm film can. But each to their own. :laughing:

I think by immediately dismissing a multi you missed a very pleasant excursion on your journey not to mention the delights of the chocolate factory at Orton!! :) It would be a shame if all caches were the same.

(Time for a quick rant about paperless caching, which I think is related: :) )

Maybe it's also a symptom of e-caching where 1000's of caches are downloaded but the cache page isn't read until arrival at the site, if at all. If you don't read the info, you can't really complain when something doesn't end up being quite what you expected. I have another cache called The Scream Point which invites people to share what they regard as a nice view. Not a very onerous request but several people haven't, and from their positive logs it seems more like they haven't read the request on the cache page rather than they don't want to say for some reason. Reading the background info turns a simple roadside cache in an average layby into an interesting cache and a chance to share a little something with fellow cachers. Maybe paperless folk sometimes miss out by just driving along waiting for Tom Tom to beep telling them to pull over - no sense of expectation, no positive vetting of caches ('that sounds nice, let's do that one'), no reading the background info to set the scene, etc. Lots of folk also seem to filter out anything that isn't compatible with the "beep, stop, find cache, drive on" approach, and thus cut themselves off from many other caches which they might well enjoy. Seems a shame to me. (rant over :) )

Anyway, I hope lots more folk come and discover the delights of Orton and the middle of the motorway - you won't regret it! :D

Wow your clever Ian :laughing:

What had actually happened was I had done a search for caches within a 50 mile radius of the caravan site, at the Lancs Meet, and had downloaded them onto my palm, and at the Tebay Services I was actually about 56 miles from the caravan site so the cache was just out of our range and had not been downloaded, I had tried to find the cache using the Tom Tom (we have found caches using only the Tom Tom before) so I did not know the cache was a Multi.

I am sure the cache is a very good one martlakes, and I have never said otherwise, all I was saying was that I thought it strange for a MM cache to be a multi, as all the others we have previously done have been cache and dashes, but each to their own, now that I know the cache is a Multi next time we travel that way we may try for it again.

Mandy :)

Wow your clever Ian :)

What had actually happened was I had done a search for caches within a 50 mile radius of the caravan site, at the Lancs Meet, and had downloaded them onto my palm, and at the Tebay Services I was actually about 56 miles from the caravan site so the cache was just out of our range and had not been downloaded, I had tried to find the cache using the Tom Tom (we have found caches using only the Tom Tom before) so I did not know the cache was a Multi.

I am sure the cache is a very good one martlakes, and I have never said otherwise, all I was saying was that I thought it strange for a MM cache to be a multi, as all the others we have previously done have been cache and dashes, but each to their own, now that I know the cache is a Multi next time we travel that way we may try for it again.

Mandy :laughing:

you can of course export with different icons to Tom Tom so you know what kind of cache it is.

you can of course export with different icons to Tom Tom so you know what kind of cache it is.

Like I can do that :D

Seriously though I did not know that thank you Tony, I will tell Graham to have a look.

I do the pocket queries, and email them to Graham he downloads them to my Palm :laughing: and he updates the Tom Tom, we only use paperless if we are away from home, at all other times we stick to good only fashioned print offs.

M :)

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

As soon as I read the OP I knew it was the one near Tebay. I tried it last August. I parked about 20 feet from the coordinates and did a quick check to see what size box it was before realising it was a multi. I drove on…

Nowt wrong with the one at Tebay, <MAJOR SNIP> Anyway, I hope lots more folk come and discover the delights of Orton and the middle of the motorway - you won't regret it! :laughing:

Well if all that’s directed for my edification, then I’m afraid you’ve wasted some of your 10^6 keystrokes on some of your keys. I’m sure the cache at Tebay is stunning but my point – and Mandy’s – was that we assumed the MM caches were simple finds (please, no-one patronize us again about the colour of icons, thank you. We have done more than three caches). I wanted to grab a cache on the way to Blackpool and had literally 5 minutes to stop. I had already loaded a few MMs in the TomTom and it was only when I was nearing each one that I decided to have a go or not. Not as it turned out for most.

I’m a big fan of multi’s and offsets and many of my own are like that but you can’t argue with the fact that if there is more than one thing to do, it’s going to take longer than a straightforward find. Rutson might, however. I’m actually not overkeen on the MM series, which is why I wasn’t going to go to any effort to get one. I stopped at the coordinates, checked the PDA and, not having 20 minutes, left.

Papery caching is all very well but not particularly easy, if you’re driving at 70 in lane two having had 20 minutes’ notice of your journey.

Edited to say you should only be in lane two if you’re 1) overtaking or 2) a muppet.

Edited by jerryo

(Time for a quick rant about paperless caching, which I think is related: :laughing: )

The Tebay one looks a fine cache, but surely the MM series is designed for paperless caching? I've always taken the idea to be that you have all the MM cache locations on your SatNav, and if you're in need of a break as you flog along a motorway you can stop off the next junction/services with a cache (with guaranteed parking, a five-minute find and access in city clothes). The cache might not be the most inspiring, but it beats wandering aimlessly up and down a layby to stretch your legs.

If you're organised enough, you'll have the actual cache details on your PDA to refer to once parked (so then it's only a small disappointment when you realise that the find will take too long), but if you don't have access to the full details then you'd expect the coordinates to be enough for this type of cache. Although I take the point about TomTom icons, not everyone uses TomTom and not everyone who has will know how to get this to work (or be bothered to sort it out).

If you're saying that people should always print off the whole series before leaving home, just in case they feel like logging one or two as they drive across the country, may I humbly suggest that it's not a very practical proposal?

Whay I'm saying is that these are essentially "spur-of-the-moment" caches, and should be designed with paperless caching in mind.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

The Tebay one looks a fine cache, but surely the MM series is designed for paperless caching?

Exactly :)

I've always taken the idea to be that you have all the MM cache locations on your SatNav, and if you're in need of a break as you flog along a motorway you can stop off the next junction/services with a cache (with guaranteed parking, a five-minute find and access in city clothes). The cache might not be the most inspiring, but it beats wandering aimlessly up and down a layby to stretch your legs.

Precisely :D

If you're organised enough, you'll have the actual cache details on your PDA to refer to once parked (so then it's only a small disappointment when you realise that the find will take too long)

Quite :laughing:

If you're saying that people should always print off the whole series before leaving home, just in case they feel like logging one or two as they drive across the country, may I humbly suggest that it's not a very practical proposal?

Hear Hear :)

What I'm saying is that these are essentially "spur-of-the-moment" caches, and should be designed with paperless caching in mind.

Oh yes. :)

I would refute that Black Pig & The Piglets came up with the concept. They certainly came up with the corporate branding and related web page, but there were various other caches pre-dating this which had been set soley to provide a break on motorway junctions / services. The enjoyable caches through Northants set by rev n doc predate the Motorway Mayhem epithet, and one of my own was set on 11/21/2004. I later added it to the MM series so that more people could find the listing.

Edited to add - this was not meant to read as a negative comment regarding BP&TP, they have done some good work in bringing it all together, just attempting to give credit where it's due (my own cache was inspired by rev n docs ones).

The oldest i can find is this one planted 8th Feb 2004 by djtm allthough the date is backwards at this moment in time :laughing: i had to check the first log (11th feb 04) to confirm the date.

I see these on tom tom all the time and if we as a family ever stop at a motorway services with one we will probably find it as something to do to help stretch the legs.

The oldest i can find is this one planted 8th Feb 2004 by djtm

To be fair, that's one of those which joined the series after the event, so to speak. The cache was originally called just Watchmoor Reserve, and was renamed much later as the owners felt that it was a suitable candidate as it's quite close to a junction with parking, facilities (a Sainsbury supermarket), and accessibility in smart clothes.

The oldest i can find is this one planted 8th Feb 2004 by djtm

To be fair, that's one of those which joined the series after the event, so to speak. The cache was originally called just Watchmoor Reserve, and was renamed much later as the owners felt that it was a suitable candidate as it's quite close to a junction with parking, facilities (a Sainsbury supermarket), and accessibility in smart clothes.

I wonder about your gsak database do you do anything other than manintain it ?? :):laughing:

Edited by markandlynn

I wonder about your gsak database do you do anything other than manintain it ?? :):D

I wonder that too sometimes :o

Seriously, that cache is just down the road from us and we did it in March 2004 when it was still called Watchmoor Reserve (who needs a database :mad: ).

It's actually a very good addition to the series. It was a good enough cache on its own. As well as the features I mentioned it's also a pleasant nature reserve with good gravel paths and interesting sculptures. It would certainly make a good break from the motorway.

Seriously, that cache is just down the road from us and we did it in March 2004 when it was still called Watchmoor Reserve (who needs a database :D ).

It's actually a very good addition to the series. It was a good enough cache on its own. As well as the features I mentioned it's also a pleasant nature reserve with good gravel paths and interesting sculptures. It would certainly make a good break from the motorway.

Yeah, I logged it recently and agree with your assessment: except that on this occasion it also involved dodging kamikaze motorists and balancing along the edge of a bridge above knee-deep floodwater!

I wonder about your gsak database do you do anything other than manintain it ?? :D:D

I wonder that too sometimes :)

Seriously, that cache is just down the road from us and we did it in March 2004 when it was still called Watchmoor Reserve (who needs a database :) ).

OK next time ill read the logs :D

**mumbles bet he would of known without visiting it anyway**

allthough the date is backwards at this moment in time :mad: i had to check the first log (11th feb 04) to confirm the date.

Nope the date isn't wrong if your American!! :o

Edit to add that I know you are already aware of that thread and is probably why you made the above comment.

Ahh its good to see they took notice last time they changed it

... but surely the MM series is designed for paperless caching? I've always taken the idea to be that you have all the MM cache locations on your SatNav, and if you're in need of a break as you flog along a motorway you can stop off the next junction/services with a cache (with guaranteed parking, a five-minute find and access in city clothes). The cache might not be the most inspiring, but it beats wandering aimlessly up and down a layby to stretch your legs.

I agree with most of this. When the MM idea came along though, there were far fewer people doing paperless caching so it was never part of the "design". The idea (as I understand it) was/is to give people a cache to find near a motorway exit that doesn't require a wade through a swamp etc as you say. But how you go about your caching wasn't the key ingredient. I agree that many MM should lend themselves to the current paperless approach but that wasn't the key factor at the start.

To illustrate what I do, when we recently went down to Plymouth I spent a fair bit of time exploring on Google Earth caches near the M6/M5 in areas where we might be wanting a break by the time we were there. This involves looking at the diff/terrain score and then going to the cache page to see what it's like, whether it's disabled or not, whether it's been found in the last few months, whether there are any issues, and any useful info about nearby pubs or whatever. If it's good I bookmark it.

When I've found a few in the right place, I go back to the cache pages, click make it print friendly, then copy the top bit with the co-ords, name, size etc, paste it into a Word doc, copy the hint and any other info on the page that is useful, and paste that in. I never print the whole thing as it's not that friendly!

So then when we're driving down the road, I know which exit I need and roughly what to expect. We found a nice small cluster around Droitwitch that had a pub and a pleasant walk on a canal for the dog. We also did a MM one on the M5 - a simple one in a business park, but that was quite good with ponds and room for the dog to have a quick run.

So that's one approach to caching, partly because I don't have all the technology to do 'paperless' and partly cos I want to pick the caches I do and know where I'm going to stop on the journey.

No, it's not practical, and not what I do. I guess paperless caching allows you to be more spur of the moment but it also has consequences like turning up and not knowing what the cache is like cos you've not looked at it beforehand. If you're driving round the country every day I can see why you would need the whole series, but most people do long journeys infrequently.

Whay I'm saying is that these are essentially "spur-of-the-moment" caches, and should be designed with paperless caching in mind.

Well, if the originator of the series agrees and wants to get more regularity into the series then he could ask those with non-conforming caches to change them. I'd be happy to change my Tebay one. I originally wrote it specifically as a break and an alternative way from one junction to another, then MM came along and I thought it fitted ok as the 'off-road' bit is very short and about the same as walking across a rain swept car park anyway!

As per my earlier rant, I do wonder if some things are getting "dumbed down", in some ways, to fit paperless caching, and whether some people miss out on good caches cos they use the technology instead of reading the cache page (and then perhaps complain about being caught out). I'm not against paperless caching but I dislike the idea of 'beep' stop, go find a cache, drive on' - doesn't seem to have much involvement/respect for the cache, the area or the cache setter. I'm sure lots of paperless folk don't do this, but that's what it sounds like sometimes. But that's moving away from the topic again.

Anyway, I'm sure I've been wearing out my keyboard again so I'll stop. As ever: each to their own

Happy caching! :D

:D We renamed the cache so to it would fit into the new (at the time) MM series - we thought cachers travelling up/down the M3 would then spot it and we'd get some more visits :mad:

Denise

That was precisely my thinking. My first MM cache was pre the series, but I added it so that more people could find the listing and do the cache. The other two were set as MM caches.

This is a bit of a double edged sword to be honest. More people probably do find my cache as a result of it being listed on the MM series, but with the MM label comes a pre-assumption of a damp 35mm chucked in an arbitary litter strewn layby. Not all MM caches are like this by any means, but there are a few, and I think that that is the picture that comes to mind for many cachers.

As I see it, there is no reason why the MM cache should be rubbish. As BP&TP say, the idea was to provide a quick break from a motorway junction or services to stretch your legs and grab a cache. On setting mine, I had in mind somebody in smart work clothes who did not want to spend ages grubbing about in the mud, not stray too far or too long away from their car (which may have luggage in it). Whilst this does not preclude multis or mysteries, I too would find it offputting in the above circumstances.

Ah well, there are plenty of caches in the UK... you can make you own minds up if you want to do them or not.

Until geocaching.com decide that MM caches go into a seperate category with seperate rules on how they should be laid etc, then people are antitled to call their caches whatever they want.

Its a game, theirs no point getting on your high horse and complaining about people doing it wrong unless you have the rules of the game on your side. (As some people in this thread are doing). To those people please try to remember there is no little 'R' in a circle or a tiny TM mark next to the 'MM' or 'Motorway Madness' name.

Its a game just enjoy it. :laughing::laughing::laughing::(:santa:

Until geocaching.com decide that MM caches go into a seperate category with seperate rules on how they should be laid etc, then people are antitled to call their caches whatever they want.

Its a game, theirs no point getting on your high horse and complaining about people doing it wrong unless you have the rules of the game on your side. (As some people in this thread are doing). To those people please try to remember there is no little 'R' in a circle or a tiny TM mark next to the 'MM' or 'Motorway Madness' name.

Its a game just enjoy it. :laughing::(:santa::santa::laughing:

Nor is there on the Motoway Mayhem name. :laughing:

Ditto the above, My first

They have their place, if you don't like them...don't do them :laughing:

I just did three splendid MM caches in Wales. So, they are not de facto dreadful because they carry the Motorway Mayhem name. Sometimes it seems that anybody who sticks their head above the geo-parapet round here gets automatically pelted with rotten tomatoes!

Apologies as this seems to have drifted away from the original topic question.

Edited by Alibags

IMHO the purpose of the MM caches is to promote breaks in long tedious motorway journeys by taking cachers to a suitable rest area that might not be obvious from the map

I have placed two. One is a real cache and dash (you can park within 5 feet of it) but is a fair distance from the motorway albeit with stacks of facilities, cheap fuel, a hotel and pub. The other requires a visit to a rather nice garden centre to gather some clues and take a short walk to the hide.

They are both business suit friendly and if all you want to do is find them, they won't take long. What you will have is access to rest facilities

I don't see why there can't be a bit of variety in MM caches