Is US Topo 2008 worth to buy?

jowook

if you don't have any topo software then you'll probably want some for hiking, then yes it is. On the other hand, I have the old US topo and quite a few custom topos and those work great for me so I don't need an upgrade.

In one way or another have topo for the areas you hike in, otherwise the mapping unit is just no fun.

For hiking, definitely get the Topo 2008. I have used mine for hiking all across the country, and I have been very pleased with it. The base map that comes installed in the GPS unit has very little detail, and it isn't very useful.

Has anyone compared the topo 2008 with National Geographic s Topo program? How would you compare them?

For hiking, definitely get the Topo 2008. I have used mine for hiking all across the country, and I have been very pleased with it. The base map that comes installed in the GPS unit has very little detail, and it isn't very useful.

Has anyone compared the topo 2008 with National Geographic s Topo program? How would you compare them?

I have, and use, both and each has its strengths and weaknesses. The NG Topo maps are images of maps of five different sizes. They are more realistic than the Garmin Topo, and show more detail. You can't load the maps on your Garmin and it can sometimes be hard to make things out on it, but it makes a better overall map. I use it for printing out my paper maps to carry with me.

Garmin Topo maps are vector-based so you can continue to zoom in as much as you want and they will load into your Garmin GPSr for use while navigating. Although they have less detail than the NG Topos, I sometimes find that to be a good thing. Sometimes it's hard to follow the track of a trail with NG, but with Garmin Topo, it either has as particular trail or it doesn't. If it's there, then it shows at any resolution and it's easy to follow.

The NG topo software is very good, but it won't download to most GPS units; definitely not to Garmins. NG advertises its maps as being downloadable, but what they really mean is that routes and waypoints added to a NG map can be downloaded, but not the map itself.