Ironic but Sincere

tubby and

...I too took the "hard" way...

...The cache co-ords are bang-on...

...This would be the most difficult to access cache to date for me (I enjoy a challenge!)...

...Thanks for the great cache!...

... from the top "escalator" trail I have marked an easier entrance into the valley with YELLOW flagging tape. Follow the cut in the rocks down to the slide path and you will have a better time accessing the cache...

These quotes are all from one log on one of my caches. "We have no complaints, and we like a challenge, but we made it easier for everyone that will come after."

I don't get it. Anyone else have logs like this that they just don't get?

So as the cache owner you get to decide to either accept that your cache is now "improved" by the do-gooder, or you get to go out and remove all the yellow tape and add a note letting folks know it's no longer there.

It really stinks when someone makes an "improvement" without asking the owner first.

...I too took the "hard" way...

...The cache co-ords are bang-on...

...This would be the most difficult to access cache to date for me (I enjoy a challenge!)...

...Thanks for the great cache!...

... from the top "escalator" trail I have marked an easier entrance into the valley with YELLOW flagging tape. Follow the cut in the rocks down to the slide path and you will have a better time accessing the cache...

These quotes are all from one log on one of my caches. "We have no complaints, and we like a challenge, but we made it easier for everyone that will come after."

I don't get it. Anyone else have logs like this that they just don't get?

Totally bizarre! People like this are why God created euthanasia; they should be captured by the relevant authorities and then quietly euthanized, after, of course, a sound public flogging! :laughing::D !

*Oh, and goats are real nice. I am sure that a goat, were she hunting your cache, would not have left tape on the trees!

(*) Late edit after receiving reminder from moderator to include obligatory mention of goats. Sorry for my earlier omission! No harm intended!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

There was a cacher in this area who festooned the cache area (tree usually) with surveyors tape! He wanted to "help other cachers". Mostly he helped other not-cachers find and carry off ammo boxes.

One August day his log on one of mine came in, "thanks, nice hide....left survey tape"......gack!!! I had a long hot bike to a hike to get out there and remove the surveyors tape before someone else showed up in the area and carried off my ammo can.

You're going to have to return and remove the tape, and ask the cacher to edit the log. I hope you like your spot for a return trip ;-)

Not only does surveyor's tape spoil the hunt (It's supposed to be about using your GPS to reach the cache), but I don't doubt that it makes the sport look bad from a management perspective. How does it make us look to land managers if we get a reputation for tackying up cache sites with bright surveyor's tape and inadvertently encouraging people (both cachers and curious passerby) to beat a social trail off of the main trail?

I like yellow I like it a lot.

...on Bananas, but not on goats. At least they didn't post TNLNSL. :laughing:

The excerpts were all fine, except for the last one, unless this is in an area that prohibits off-trail activity. Then it's a really big problem.

I often post-"as is often the case I took the hard way in and the easy way out." :D

And yes, I occasionally see logs that make me go :laughing: :laughing:

I am always concerned that someone will describe a cache as trash. Anything other than the cache left behind is a great way to ruin the sport for everyone. Even the cache itself should look like it's supposed to be there. That I do by making a lot of birdhouse caches. They don't look out of place and muggles tend to ignore them.

I'd have a problem is someone "publicly" helped others find one of my caches, keep it quiet. I worked on my very first mystery for over 6 months and that was just to find the right spot then another month for the puzzle. Kinda ticked me off when the solution made it out in the public. "whatever, I thought" you still have to sign the log book and there is no easy way to do that.

I have several hard to get to caches and I know others have helped get to the final on many of them. I'm sure the person was just bragging about finding an easier route that nobody else could find (including the owner), so be it - it is what it is.

Now on the other hand I have used surveyors tape to mark the final and a trail head but I did that for many reasons. The main reason was to help cut down on someone seriously hurting themselvs and destroying the area looking for the cache. Very simple to remove, just like fire tacks in trees or regular trail markers.

Mayhaps you have forgotten that the cache owner can DELETE the find log. I would do it on this one, it will drop the jerk's number and will also remove reference to the tape.

That's what I would do. I would not even mention nor contact the "geotrasher" about the delete. Just let him hum along happily.

I have a local here who "marks" caches with tape as well, but there is no mention of it in logs. I have not yet figured out who it is, but I have an idea.

RATTLEBARS