Public lands which prohibit hunting in NY/NJ

weathernowcast

I know Sunday's are good days to go hiking in New Jersey as there is no hunting allowed.

However, I have quests coming this week (for a week) to go geocaching. Which state lands are "hunter-free" in New York or New Jersey?

It seems to me that state lands would be opened to anyone.

Weather it be hunters ,hikers or whatever is deemed legal. {ie no motorized vehicles, atv's etc.]

Here in Pa. we have State Gamelands which are opened to just about everyone, not only hunters.

I haven't been to many places outside my area, but I know the Ramapo Reservation and Ramapo State Forest are closed to hunting, as is Campgaw. I believe Harriman Park is also a no-hunting zone, but you should check the state park dept. websites wherever you're looking at just to be certain. It's also a good idea to wear orange when you're anywhere way out in the woods this season, because just because a law exists, doesn't mean everyone will follow it.

I haven't been to many places outside my area, but I know the Ramapo Reservation and Ramapo State Forest are closed to hunting, as is Campgaw. I believe Harriman Park is also a no-hunting zone, but you should check the state park dept. websites wherever you're looking at just to be certain. It's also a good idea to wear orange when you're anywhere way out in the woods this season, because just because a law exists, doesn't mean everyone will follow it.

It seems to me that state lands would be opened to anyone.

Weather it be hunters ,hikers or whatever is deemed legal. {ie no motorized vehicles, atv's etc.]

Here in Pa. we have State Gamelands which are opened to just about everyone, not only hunters.

I took your advise and browsed a bit. I found the following helpful but not exactly what I was looking for:

By region in NJ, this lists where hunting is allowed.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/huntland.htm

this is a map of the "regions" to be used with the list above

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2007/dighnt36-37.pdf

Thanks for the help.

The map is consistent with what you stated for areas east of Route 202.

I guess it's just a matter of where a person grows up, but I feel much safer amongst a group of hunters than poking about for some urban cache in the city. Wear Orange and stick to the trails until you get close the cache. Most hunting takes place on Saturdays and the couple hours after sunrise and again before sunset during the week. When rifle season for Deer opens after Thanksgiving in PA, you must stay out of the state game lands except for Sundays.

I guess it's just a matter of where a person grows up, but I feel much safer amongst a group of hunters than poking about for some urban cache in the city. Wear Orange and stick to the trails until you get close the cache. Most hunting takes place on Saturdays and the couple hours after sunrise and again before sunset during the week. When rifle season for Deer opens after Thanksgiving in PA, you must stay out of the state game lands except for Sundays.

I with you there :D And for anybody who doesn't know, the last sentence is very important.

Most county parks don't allow hunting. Campgaw, South Mountain, Pyramid Mtn, Ramapo Valley, Lord Stirling, Garret Mtn are all examples. There are exceptions in some where the parks are closed to all but hunters with special permits on designated days to thin the herd. I've seen this done in Pyramid Mtn, Lord Stirling and others.

Most state parks and forests do allow hunting, but some sections are off limits. For example Ramapo Mtn SF west of Skyline doesn't allow hunting.

Here is a pretty good list.