Reporting found caches

Lucky McLooker

Go to Geocaching.com

Be sure you are logged in.

Go to the cache page for the cache you found. (You can type the GC number in the search box.)

Click on 'log your visit' in the upper right corner of the cache page.

Select "Found it" from the drop down list.

Share your experiences.

Also, take a look at the FAQs thread pinned at the top of the forum.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry1000384

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

I looked and found 6 yesterday! First time out. I elected not to cross the eternal bog of stench to find one of them, but other than that I found all of them I set out to find. I did figure out how to log them and write about them. Thanks Motorcycle Mama?

Eternal Bog? City & state please! :D

You know. The Eternal Bog of Stench. A foul place full of "wait-a-minute" vines thick brush and general nastyness. The best part is the smell that rises up to your nostrils when you step on the ground, and your foot sinks in to the ankle or deeper. Then you have to fight the "sucking mud monster" from pulling your shoe off so you can take the next step.

No amount of swag is worth fighting through the Eternal Bog of Stench.

I'm sure this is a real newbie question. Where on here do you go to write about cache's? I'd like to report out about the caches I found this weekend. Isn't there a place that keeps track of the cache you found and running count aswell? Any help with the administration part of this would be helpful at this time.

I also have a question regarding logging. We went out caching with some friends on the weekend and on Friday night (the 5th) we found quite a few together. Well, where my husband and I were all weekend didn't have internet access.

We came home and were able to log them on Monday night.

Now, when I logged them, it said "log date" so I left it as monday and said in the "notes" part of the log that it was found on October 5th with United7s. I got an email from the better half of United7s mom (hehe) and she told me that I need to put the "log date" as the date it was found or some people will say that we weren't there.

So, the question: is the log date the day you find it or the day you actually "log" it on the website.

:D

thanks!

Welcome to the Forums! :D

You should use the Date you Found, or Didn't Find, the cache. Don't hesitate to log your "Didn't Find It" logs.

The only log date you cannot change is the "Needs Maintenance" log. That one will default to the current day, so if you want to log a "Needs Maintenance" and several days have elapsed, it is good to review any recent logs in case the problem was taken care of in the time between when you were at the cache and when you could get online.

As I'm just starting out. I wanted to be accurate about when I was at the locations. I changed my date to the day I actually found the cache. I also look heavily at when the last time a cache was found. I decide which ones to spend the time on, or even which ones to d/l and go look for that way. I'm sure a couple days either direction won't make that much of a difference, but I do look at that info very closely.

How many cache is a good number set out to look for in one day? I know the distance between them makes a difference, but does anyone use a number as a goal? Since I am so new, I am curious about all those newbie things. Thanks for all the response to this thread.

You know. The Eternal Bog of Stench. A foul place full of "wait-a-minute" vines thick brush and general nastyness. The best part is the smell that rises up to your nostrils when you step on the ground, and your foot sinks in to the ankle or deeper. Then you have to fight the "sucking mud monster" from pulling your shoe off so you can take the next step.

No amount of swag is worth fighting through the Eternal Bog of Stench.

But you could probably write a great log about it B)

How many cache is a good number set out to look for in one day? I know the distance between them makes a difference, but does anyone use a number as a goal? Since I am so new, I am curious about all those newbie things.

Probably "time" is a better goal than specific find count. You might do a long grueling multi that takes hours to complete, or you might be able to do a whole bunch of quick short ones in the same amount of time.

Sometimes it depends on the weather, or what else you've got planned for the day, or how your knees are feeling today. Sometimes it just comes down to what you feel like doing that day -- long and grueling with a great sense of satisfaction and a single but very memorable smiley and a nice long log to go with it, or light and easy with maybe a lot of smileys and lots of logs to write.

Welcome to the Forums! B)

You should use the Date you Found, or Didn't Find, the cache. Don't hesitate to log your "Didn't Find It" logs.

The only log date you cannot change is the "Needs Maintenance" log. That one will default to the current day, so if you want to log a "Needs Maintenance" and several days have elapsed, it is good to review any recent logs in case the problem was taken care of in the time between when you were at the cache and when you could get online.

Ok, thanks! So should I go back and edit those few (I think there were only 7 or 8) or should I just leave them now and just keep this in mind for the future?

How many cache is a good number set out to look for in one day? I know the distance between them makes a difference, but does anyone use a number as a goal? Since I am so new, I am curious about all those newbie things. Thanks for all the response to this thread.

I often will find only 1 or 2 per outing. I think my average per outing over 6 years is something like 2.3

I have found as many as 18 in day (took about 4 hours). One day I found 15 and drove 350 miles with the family in about 14 hours. All depends on what you are doing and what you want to accomplish.

People tend to play the game their own way so you need to find what you enjoy. I used to love to do just one spending my extra time exploring the area- checking out the stores and restaurants, hiking down other trails without any caches, bird watching, etc.. All that changed when the local cacher who set out most of the caches (about twenty five) began archiving them because he was moving. I regret I never got the chance to look for a lot of them so now I try to do more than one so I don't miss out on any that might be archived. Although when I think about it I really liked strolling along doing them one at a time with time enough to enjoy myself.