Is It A Record

We've only been geocaching since the first week of July 2007 (83 days) and have only found 59 caches but they are spread over 5 countries (England, Romania, Mauritius, France and Estonia) which if put in a route in order found comes to a total of 16,488 miles which is 279.46 (16488/59) miles per cache or 198.65 (16488/83) miles per day.

I only included caches found in my Geocache logs. Distances involved in multi-caches or times returned to DNF's was not counted OR the amount of miles walking round in circles trying to find the cache :wacko:

Is this a record? :laughing:

Sounds very good, well done each. Records? Quite possibly, but knowing the somewhat cool reception I received when asking about a record for the greatest distance between two caches in any one day by a w/c using cacher earlier in the summer (3913 miles), I doubt you will get it positively acknowledged. :D

3913 miles!! I'm impressed. :laughing:

By the number of replies this post has had it does seem that way doesn't it! :laughing:

Number of caches seem to be what most people are interested in..............but is this game/pastime/fad/sport/obsession more than just number of caches found or hidden?

This statement will rattle the cage..........."it's not about number of caches found it's about the number of caches found within constraints" i.e.

> Average distance between caches (280 miles)

> Number of consecutive caches between different countries (6)

> Greatest Distance between 2 caches in any one day (3913 miles)

Anyone can chalk up 2,000 finds given time..............it's all about numbers found, time and distance. (tongue in cheek). At the end of the day it's how you want to play the game.

I look forward to reading any replies :laughing:

Sounds very good, well done each. Records? Quite possibly, but knowing the somewhat cool reception I received when asking about a record for the greatest distance between two caches in any one day by a w/c using cacher earlier in the summer (3913 miles), I doubt you will get it positively acknowledged. :D

3913 miles!! I'm impressed. :laughing:

By the number of replies this post has had it does seem that way doesn't it! :laughing:

Number of caches seem to be what most people are interested in..............but is this game/pastime/fad/sport/obsession more than just number of caches found or hidden?

This statement will rattle the cage..........."it's not about number of caches found it's about the number of caches found within constraints" i.e.

Anyone can chalk up 2,000 finds given time..............it's all about numbers found, time and distance. (tongue in cheek). At the end of the day it's how you want to play the game.

I look forward to reading any replies :laughing:

I wonder how many tonnes of CO2 that equates to, I wonder if there's a record for the biggest carbon footprint per cache? :laughing:

It sounds like it should be! Over what timeline were they done?

It was a bit of a freak and I wasn't aware of it until after I had done a cache in France. We did a cache in Germany on a Sunday then caught a train to Italy the following day but changed trains in Innsbruck where there happened to be a cache on the platform. We then did a cache on Lake Garda on Wednesday followed by a cache in Nice on Thursday. When we returned home I made an effort to do one in Wales followed by one in England. So in answer to your question it was over 10 days. In fact my sequence of caches over a couple of weeks was:

England

Hungary (7)

Austria (1)

Slovakia (2)

Austria (3)

Germany (2)

Austria (1)

Italy (1)

France (1)

Wales (1)

England

It could have been 7 in 7 as we were also in Monaco but there is only one cache there which we didn't attempt.

It was a bit of a freak and I wasn't aware of it until after I had done a cache in France. We did a cache in Germany on a Sunday then caught a train to Italy the following day but changed trains in Innsbruck where there happened to be a cache on the platform. We then did a cache on Lake Garda on Wednesday followed by a cache in Nice on Thursday. When we returned home I made an effort to do one in Wales followed by one in England. So in answer to your question it was over 10 days. In fact my sequence of caches over a couple of weeks was:

England

Hungary (7)

Austria (1)

Slovakia (2)

Austria (3)

Germany (2)

Austria (1)

Italy (1)

France (1)

Wales (1)

England

It could have been 7 in 7 as we were also in Monaco but there is only one cache there which we didn't attempt.

If I had time to list records by UK cachers outside the UK. I reckon this would be worth a spot.

I wonder how many tonnes of CO2 that equates to, I wonder if there's a record for the biggest carbon footprint per cache? :laughing:

All 16,488 miles were done on a pushbike :D I now have leg muscles like Arnold Schwarzenegger :laughing:

See now your talking...who holds the record for -

> most caches with the lowest carbon footprint

> most caches with the highest carbon footprint

> Most caches by age e.g. 80 plus

> Most caches by disability e.g. being a West Ham supporter is a type of disability

> Most caches by gender e.g. Male

> Most caches by race e.g. The Derby

> Most caches by religion or belief e.g. The End of the World is Nigh

> Most caches by sexual orientation e.g. lying in a northerly direction

> Most caches by a person called Alison from Berkhamsted - Alibags :laughing:

So tell me....is caching to do with the environment then? If it is then why do we hide non-biodegradable plastic boxes everywhere? Is one cachers finds worth more than anothers because they don't pollute the environment? I suppose they should be but...........Hold up your hand all those who geocache without causing any pollution. :laughing: To my shame I can't.

England

Hungary (7)

Austria (1)

Slovakia (2)

Austria (3)

Germany (2)

Austria (1)

Italy (1)

France (1)

Wales (1)

England

Again....I'm impressed. See to me this is more impressive than doing 2000 caches....I suppose it depends on how you play the game!

Edited by The Lavender Hill Mob

To correct once again. It has nothing to do with the claimant being restricted by:

# Race

# Culture

# National origin

# Region

# Gender

# Sexual Orientation

# Age

# Marital Status

# Politics

# Religion

# Ethnicity

# Disability

# Socio-economic differences

# Family structure

# Health

# Values

The records I am maintaining are for caches found in the UK. There are a few on the list that are not purely UK, I don't want to add to these.

I am quite happy for someone else to list elsewhere, however it is not what I set out to do or something that I have time to do.

The records I am maintaining are for caches found in the UK. There are a few on the list that are not purely UK, I don't want to add to these.

I am quite happy for someone else to list elsewhere, however it is not what I set out to do or something that I have time to do.

I don't expect you to maintain any other records Mongoose39uk, what you do at the moment is much appreciated.

I was just interested to see if anyone else had clocked up so many miles with so few caches! Keeping score for myself is sufficient.

I look forward to reading any replies :D

To be honest it's not all that clear what records you are asking for. To be able to measure something you have to have some criteria fixed (time, distance, number of caches etc), otherwise you can't judge if and when someone beats it.

In your first example (Average distance between caches), theres no time period, number of caches etc. What if a newbie did one cache in the UK then one cache in the USA 2 years later? Is that 'better' than what you have achieved?

In the second one I don't quite understand whether you are counting the countries or the caches. Are you saying that you can only find one in each country for it to count?

In your third example, it's hardly an achievement to do one long haul flight and find one cache at either end. Even if it was, why is the number of miles apart the factor to be measured. Is it more effort to find two caches 4000 miles apart than 3000 miles apart?

You probably do have some cause for a record (not necessarily UK), but without clarifying the criteria for beating it it becomes a bit wooly.

There's nothing wrong with stating your achievments on your own profile page. After all, nobody can take your personal achievments away from you like they can with a record.

T

I wonder how many tonnes of CO2 that equates to, I wonder if there's a record for the biggest carbon footprint per cache? :D

Well since you made the comment, I am happy to confirm that I always try to carbon offset ... also the caching was incidental to the journey which was for business, and probably only a fraction of what is created on a daily or weekly basis by folks chasing round the countrside on missions for the specific purpose of finding caches. (Yes, occasionally, I do this too)! :laughing: