Old Noob

Fogtripper

Hey there folks.

Thought I would jump right in and introduce myself. No stranger to the great outdoors, I am looking forward to having yet one more reason to be out and about. Garmin should be here in a week or so (yay for free Amazon shipping...boo for having to wait extra days!) and already am hatching ideas for creating caches.

My intentions for creating caches:

- Fun to get to

- If difficultly hidden, will leave proper clues

- Will attempt to make difficult ones "multi-staged"

- Worthwhile for the first finder

My golden rule: If I could not go back and find it in a year, then I went over the line of difficulty.

So that said, this is my official "hey there"!

:laughing:

Welcome. I'm a newbie too....working with an OLD Garmin 12 that still does the job. I cache with my lovely dog :-) I am looking forward to cooler fall temperatures and no more mosquitoes!!!!

Well, it's been in the high 80s here in SW PA, but on the bright side the lack of rain for so long has kept the mosquitoes rather scarce. We'd be lucky to have standing water remaining for them to breed.

Could I make the suggestion that you find some caches prior to placing some.

Of course you may!

That said, reading some of the threads is showing me a ton of things NOT to do. Lots of good ideas (and bad ones that stick out like a sore thumb) on these here pages. Suffice to say, it will be some time down the road before (if ever) you'll see a micro hidden by me. :D

Could I make the suggestion that you find some caches prior to placing some. This will give you some ideas as to what is desireable or undesireable with caches. It will also give an appreciation for accuracy and use of your GPS.

Good luck

When I started I spent time reading the forums and then followed the suggestion of many. I waited until I had found more than 100 caches before placing any. I was glad that I did since, by then, I had found caches that I thought were pretty great and also caches that made me wonder what in the heck the hider was thinking. It was a good way to understand what type of cache to place and what type of cache not to place.

Hiding caches is rarely about the container. It is about the location.

If you have an interesting location in mind that adhers to the geocaching.com placement guidelines, go get a walmart lock&lock container and put a logbook in it and a few trinkets for finders. This should cost you less than $10.00

Anyone with 10 minutes of experience coupled with some old fashioned common sense can beat heck out of those carppy lamppost hides that get approved and hunted everyday.

Key to this is "interesting location", which might be interpreted by some to include a shopping center parking lot. That is where the common sense part needs to kick in.

Cache on Garth!!!

If this stuff were rocket science, we'd be killing an astronaut ever other day. :laughing::D:)

Hiding caches is rarely about the container. It is about the location.

If you have an interesting location in mind that adhers to the geocaching.com placement guidelines, go get a walmart lock&lock container and put a logbook in it and a few trinkets for finders. This should cost you less than $10.00

Anyone with 10 minutes of experience coupled with some old fashioned common sense can beat heck out of those carppy lamppost hides that get approved and hunted everyday.

Key to this is "interesting location", which might be interpreted by some to include a shopping center parking lot. That is where the common sense part needs to kick in.

Cache on Garth!!!

If this stuff were rocket science, we'd be killing an astronaut ever other day. :laughing::D:)

I am with you on the common sense thought.

In my mind, the journey is just as important as the destination (if not moreso).

Caches that mimic vandalism - nopers

Caches that mimic tampering with dangerous elements - nopers

Caches that encourage future dismantling of nature - absolutely not

What I am envisioning, is caches that are a challenge to get to, but moreso on the cerebral end rather than the strenuous end. I already have at least 2 caches in mind that I think are quite "out of the box" in concept.

Of course, I am also looking forward to seeing the creativity displayed by other cachinators.

(Yes, I just made up that term on the fly.)