geocacheuk

bones1

I think this might have been mentioned before,but i have been trying to log on to GEOCACHEUK for a while now,google cant find the server.has the address changed?if any cacher has a helpfull hint for me i would appreciate it.happy caching.patandjeff=bones1.

Edited by bones1

I just tried to get onto GeocacheUK as well, to rate the caches I found this weekend. No luck.

The error I get is

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.geocacheuk.com

I can ping the address.

Which suggests the hamster has stopped running for now. Maybe its time to upgrade to Guinea Pig? :laughing:

Edited by Guanajuato

I just tried to get onto GeocacheUK as well, to rate the caches I found this weekend. No luck.

The error I get is

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.geocacheuk.com

I can ping the address.

Which suggests the hamster has stopped running for now. Maybe its time to upgrade to Guinea Pig? :laughing:

Getting the same error here too :wacko:

Edited by Nediam

Getting the same error here too :laughing:

And here :wacko:

Over the last few months, the server has been regularly crashing. The whole box just freezes, with nothing in any logfile that I can find. It happens when the machine runs out of physical memory and seems independent of how much swap I have, or where I put it. I can no longer update people's stats because that process uses more memory than is in the box.

So, I've taken a couple of days off work, during which time the site will be down while I try to get to the bottom of what's happening. First step is to re-image the server back to the official 1and1 system, which will take several hours. If that cures the problem, it's just a matter of bringing the various sites back up. If not, I guess I refer it to 1and1 as a potential hardware issue.

Thanks for your patience!

Cheers,

Ian

Yes they are both on the same server :wacko:

Presumably this applies to the trigpointing site too? I was trying to log one of my rare trig finds at the weekend...

Thanks for your efforts.

Baz.

Trigs site down as well :D -Glad I've done me Cacher of the Month figures! :laughing:

Two great sites, miss 'em when they are not there...

G

Edited by KandG

Getting there! The new OS has been up a whole day without crashing (woohoo! :laughing: ) and I've been able to run the program which updates the cacher stats, so the memory problem seems to be fixed. Of course, who knows what'll happen when I open up the firewall and allow everyone else in, which is why I'm keeping it locked down until the off-site backups have caught up with all the changes. The backup is running over ADSL, so it'll be a few hours yet...

...and after just one day of testing, the web server error log is weighing in at 360MB :) , so it may be a few days before all the wrinkles are ironed out!

Edited by Teasel

Getting there! The new OS has been up a whole day without crashing (woohoo! :laughing: ) and I've been able to run the program which updates the cacher stats, so the memory problem seems to be fixed. Of course, who knows what'll happen when I open up the firewall and allow everyone else in, which is why I'm keeping it locked down until the off-site backups have caught up with all the changes. The backup is running over ADSL, so it'll be a few hours yet...

...and after just one day of testing, the web server error log is weighing in at 360MB :) , so it may be a few days before all the wrinkles are ironed out!

Well done Ian, the site is great. Fingers crossed that it goes to plan :D

OK, the site's back up, though for some reason it lost its link with geocaching.com at 8pm last night, and I've not been able to get it working again - so new caches won't be appearing 'till I get that fixed. Let's hope it's more reliable than the last incarnation... :laughing: Sorry for the inconvenience!

Thanks for the brilliant site and the effort you've been putting in over the last while keeping it going! :)

Is there anything we, the users can do to help support the site?

Here, here!

My goodness me, there are some big changes in the stat charts that occurred during the blackout. :laughing:

Edited by goldpot

I'm afraid the main pages, including registration, are down at the moment :laughing: I hadn't updated the forum software for some time, with the result that some delightful people managed to set a corner of the site up as a credit card phishing operation :santa: So I'm currently upgrading the site to Joomla!, and scrabbling around to find all the latest versions of plug-ins etc. And the server's still crashing too :santa: Never rains but it pours!

Site's back down again (and trigpointing too) :) Looks like we were the source of a denial of service attack (UDP flooding) on another server (or servers? details are a bit sketchy at the moment). :) So 1and1 have yanked the network cable until the problem is sorted. Apologies to all for the continued inconvenience!

This is a continuation to our previous brief posting agreeing to some form of financial help to assist ‘geocacheuk’ return to an operational condition. If money is needed to repair or replace broken or out of date equipment, has any thought been given to the establishment of some form of subscription?

For example the basic facilities could be free, as with ‘geocaching .com’, but for the use of more advanced features such as the personalised interactive map, a subscription would be required.

This would create ‘geocacheuk’ premium members in the same style as ‘geocaching .com’, providing ‘geocacheuk’ with the necessary maintenance funds.

No doubt it is not as simple as this, but would it not be worth a small financial investment from cachers who wish to use the advanced features of ‘geocacheuk’?

As many who have offered funds to the running of G:UK appear to have joined long after it become well established on the UK caching scene, it's probably best to explain the history of the site which will explain the lack of a donation facility.

The site was the creation of Mark TheCat who sadly passed away to much sadness for his many friends in the UK community. When he created the site one of the promises he made and stuck to was that G:UK would always be free to all users, and he personally refused offers of donations [even any donations to cover his out of pocket expenses when he drove around the country on a Geocaching Fox Hunt raising money for a certain BBC fund raiser (yellow bear is the mascot)] , when Ian-Teasel joined Mark as co owner of the site he took on this ethos and has stuck to it. The issues G:UK is suffering is due to a lack of free time on Ian-Teasel's to upgrade the software used in both the forums and the database, which has resulted in some unnameable [as in lots of swear words] person(s) using part of the site for nefarious purposes [i believe they used a part of the site to set up a phising site] which resulted in the hosting company pulling the plug until all issues are resolved.

I'm sure Ian is working on the site whenever he gets a spare moment free, and will have it back up and running once all the issues have been resolved to the satisfaction of the hosting company.

should it come back (and pray it does) can anyone please put my dads mind at rest that all the logs on TrigUK will have been stored?!?!

As far as I'm aware the major issue is the Hosting Company pulling the sites access to the Net, as part of the site was used to create a phising site [one designed to obtain peoples log in details and account detail for their bank accounts]. I'm sure all the data is safe and all logs held in the database will be there once the site is back up and running.

should it come back (and pray it does) can anyone please put my dads mind at rest that all the logs on TrigUK will have been stored?!?!

Unfortunately, 1and1 dumped me into a special "recovery mode" without any database, so I wasn't able to get a final backup of the data before I rebuilt the server. I've therefore had to restore the site to the last available off-site backup, which was at taken 3am the previous night. I'm not sure exactly what time 1and1 pulled the plug, but there could be a good chunk of a day's worth of logs missing. Hopefully your dad didn't do a big bunch of logging that day (and my apologies to anyone who did!).

Shouldn't be long now...

Cheers,

Ian

OK, it's back :ph34r: but only for as long as the hackers don't get back in :laughing: . Since I've not yet worked out how they managed to get in the second time (I think I understand the problem the first time they got in), I'm a bit nervous. But the backups seem to be working, so...

Unfortunately, with GC.com down, it may take a bit longer than usual for the site to catch up (newer caches may not appear because I can't tell from the pocket queries whether they're premium members only, or not). To help out anyone attempting a Sunday afternoon caching trip, I've switched on the "G:UK failsafe" cache pages, so you can at least read the cache descriptions, recent logs etc, until GC.com comes back.

Please treat it gently!

Cheers,

Ian