Most interesting DNF to date

keep us posted on the babies, please! Looks like you found the best prize, yet!

Still only one and doing VERY well. It is a little grayling and is nursing properly. Momma is following her instincts well.

We gave her her own room upstairs with all amenities so the other cats won't bother her.

We'll call the local animal shelter in the morning and find out if anyone has reported her missing, but I suspect that is not the case. The nearest house was about 1/2 mile away and because this is a quick pull-off in the middle of nowhere, I would bet she was just "conveniently let go."

In any case, she'll be likely staying here until the kitten is weaned, if not permanently.

We just found new homes for 9 of our 12 cats a couple of years ago and vowed that when our present three pass there will be no more.

Oh well. :)

That is very weird that she only gave birth to one kitten.

A symptom of injury/mistreatment/malnutrition, perhaps? Sadly, I can't imagine that the kind of person who would dump off an animal would treat it very well beforehand. It sounds like you got there just at the right time.

Here's hoping for the best for mother and kitten.

I've worked and currently work (volunteer) at cat shelters, so please forgive me if I go into a tangent about dumping.

First off, 5 :D:D:D:laughing::wacko: for you for rescuing her! Unfortunately, dumping cats that are pregnant or have already given birth is fairly common. A simple $25-30 procedure can cure that.

Secondly, that is the first time I've ever heard of a DNF log like that! Please keep us updated on the health.

That is very weird that she only gave birth to one kitten.

Actually, we had another cat many years ago who had just one kitten. She too was a young stray. I think it might be common for cats who are very young.

It has now been nearly 24 hours and one is all. I probably misjudged her condition at first regarding what i felt behind her ribs. (hey I'm not a vet or nothing)

Anyway the one seems to be VERY healthy and active. She moved him already to a box SHE likes better. I'd say from my experience, that's pretty much normal.

Anyway, 1 means a little less hassle come give away time. :laughing:

I suppose I gotta think up a name for her (and it perhaps).

I suppose I gotta think up a name for her (and it perhaps).

Confucius' Cat's Cat? :D
Triple C (Trip for short?) & DNF (Dee for short?)

Triple C is almost as hard to say as my suggestion :laughing: . Of course it could always be shortened to CiCi. I know it's just two C's, but it has a ring to it.

I was just being silly of course, but you know, that's not a bad name the more I think about it.

Update:

Kitten's eyes opened and he's doing well.

I have a tentative commitment for adoption.

He's scrabbling around the room now (out of the nursery box) by his momma's choice.

I guess this thread has pretty much run its course. I won't bump it again unless people want further updates.

Thanks for all the kind words posted.

<_<

I just returned from a caching trip to South Dakota... mostly the Black Hills... but along the way in Sioux Falls, I posted this DNF. The cache, as I understand it, is a magnetic nano (or, "blinkie", as they call them in that neck of the woods) attached to a steel bridge. Normally, the sort of cache that you'd love to hate. But location is everything...

The cache was Brown Bridge (GCXC0E)

This may well be my best DNF ever!

Night caching with a nearly full moon, 50's, dry & clear. Fighter jets taking off behind me with their purple-white flames searing the night sky, a railroad train rumbling past, the white noise of the 200' long waterfall in the dark in a strange town. What an awesome DNF!!!

Kitten is now six weeks old and is well accepted by almost all the "family." Our one cat, Tyrone is still awfully grouchy around momma and kitten.

Momma has a name now, "Sha'rae" (I hope I spelled that right). Murasaki named her. I think it comes from "The Wheel Of Time" series. (There is a thread running on their website "Tarvalon.org" oarallel to this one. They were doing a "name contest" too. I don't participate in their forum but the women of the house do. The women won out. (no surprise there. :santa: )

Kitten is tentatively called "Mettalicat" but I don't think this name will stick. He is eating on his own and doing all the cool things a kitten has to do before being separated from Momma. He's got about another week or two and he's off to his new home.

8102f338-4cd1-4f20-b0a6-dc3660f853da.jpg

Kitten is now six weeks old and is well accepted by almost all the "family." Our one cat, Tyrone is still awfully grouchy around momma and kitten.

Momma has a name now, "Sha'rae" (I hope I spelled that right). Murasaki named her. I think it comes from "The Wheel Of Time" series. (There is a thread running on their website "Tarvalon.org" oarallel to this one. They were doing a "name contest" too. I don't participate in their forum but the women of the house do. The women won out. (no surprise there. :blink: )

Kitten is tentatively called "Mettalicat" but I don't think this name will stick. He is eating on his own and doing all the cool things a kitten has to do before being separated from Momma. He's got about another week or two and he's off to his new home.

Awww... they look so cute! So you're keeping mommie-cat? S'good!