Screen protectors for new gps?

HATTSTER

Hi..i just bought an Etrex Venture cx unit and want a protector for my screen??..ive seen the invisibleSHIELD

from http://www.shieldzone.com/ they look good!!..has anyone used one?? do you reccommend them??..do they look good?? easy to apply??..any help would be great..[:)]

I have two - one for each of my GPSr's. Yes, I would recommend it! Do it early before you have scratched and banged your GPS all over the place. But then again - better late than never.

Easy indeed to apply. I had a buddy who told me something a LITTLE different than their directions were. I liked his much better as it made the application of the sheild so MUCH easier. They said spray both sides a LITTLE. However, once you put it on the screen it's VERY difficult to move the protector around to arrange it better to your liking especially if your aim is off. The 2nd time I put one on we SOAKED it on both sides. It sliped and slid all over the place. Better to get it exactly where I wanted it.

Hope it helps. Drop me a line if you want / need to. khanATkhanhollis.com

I just thought this was funny:

"I saw the Invisible Shield on a friend's iPod ..."

Those sound like neat little things, but I bought a pack of screen protectors at Best Buy for my GPS and they work just fine. You can get a pack of 20 for $10. They are all one size, but you can cut them to fit the screen. They won't protect against blunt or sharp damage, but they will keep the screen clean and free of scratches.

Edited by tmike2552

Those sound like neat little things, but I bought a pack of screen protectors at Best Buy for my GPS and they work just fine. You can get a pack of 20 for $10. They are all one size, but you can cut them to fit the screen. They won't protect against blunt or sharp damage, but they will keep the screen clean and free of scratches.

The reason they come in packs of 20 is because they don't last, and you have to replace them. InvisibleShield costs a bit more initially, but it's cheaper in the long run. The screen is "self-healing" and minor scratches that just build up on cheap protectors will disappear in a few days with the InvisibleShield.

And the easiest way to apply one on a GPS (which is waterproof) is to just do it under water. It's practically impossible to get any bubbles this way.

The reason they come in packs of 20 is because they don't last, and you have to replace them. InvisibleShield costs a bit more initially, but it's cheaper in the long run. The screen is "self-healing" and minor scratches that just build up on cheap protectors will disappear in a few days with the InvisibleShield.

And the easiest way to apply one on a GPS (which is waterproof) is to just do it under water. It's practically impossible to get any bubbles this way.

I have the Invisible Shield on both Garmins, an iPhone, and both cameras. I've actually dropped my 60CSx on rocks a couple of times, screen down, and there is no damage. Certainly worth the price.

I also use the InvisibleSHIELD. Does it work? All you have to do is look at the large gash on my GPS's cover and the clear screen in the middle to know that spill on a cold wet footbridge COULD have also gouged the screen beyond use. Wouldn't have a GPS with out one.

I recently took a fall while caching. I ended up dragging the inside of one arm and the face of my GPSr down the side of a small oak tree. My arm was scratched up pretty badly. The screen of my GPSr took the same scraping. My invisibleSHIELD looked like the kind of glass you see on a shower door. I could barely see through it at all. The screen underneath was fine. Due to the "self-healing" properties of the invisibleSHIELD I could see through it just fine the next morning.

I've put these things on every unit I've owned. I've done some really boneheaded things like leaving the unit on the hood of my truck and driving off. The invisibleSHIELD has saved the screen every time. Those "20 for $10" protectors are cheap - and you get exactly what you pay for. I would have completely ruined several units if I had been relying on the cheapies. To me, $10 for an invisibleSHIELD that saved a GPSMAP 76CS and later a GPSMAP 76CSx is a very small investement indeed.

I have one of these things on my watch as well. I refuse to own any type of valuable equipment that goes into the field without putting one of these things on the screen. It's a no-brainer. BUY ONE or you may regret it heartily in the future. You never know what might happen.

I recently took a fall while caching. I ended up dragging the inside of one arm and the face of my GPSr down the side of a small oak tree. My arm was scratched up pretty badly. The screen of my GPSr took the same scraping. My invisibleSHIELD looked like the kind of glass you see on a shower door. I could barely see through it at all. The screen underneath was fine. Due to the "self-healing" properties of the invisibleSHIELD I could see through it just fine the next morning.

I've put these things on every unit I've owned. I've done some really boneheaded things like leaving the unit on the hood of my truck and driving off. The invisibleSHIELD has saved the screen every time. Those "20 for $10" protectors are cheap - and you get exactly what you pay for. I would have completely ruined several units if I had been relying on the cheapies. To me, $10 for an invisibleSHIELD that saved a GPSMAP 76CS and later a GPSMAP 76CSx is a very small investement indeed.

I have one of these things on my watch as well. I refuse to own any type of valuable equipment that goes into the field without putting one of these things on the screen. It's a no-brainer. BUY ONE or you may regret it heartily in the future. You never know what might happen.

What??..they self heal??..you mean the scratches disapear??..im thinking of putting it a garmin case too..will getting it in and out of the case to change batteries make the invisible sheild peal off at all?? you know say rubbing on the case puting it in and out??

What??..they self heal??..you mean the scratches disapear??..im thinking of putting it a garmin case too..will getting it in and out of the case to change batteries make the invisible sheild peal off at all?? you know say rubbing on the case puting it in and out??

No, you don't want to combine the case and the InvisibleShield. The clear plastic on the case, and the screen protector don't play together well. Basically, they will try to bond to each other.

The Invisible Shield are excellent, super tough. They have a slightly tacky feel due to their rubbery self repairing quality. They do not peel off and they certainly would stick to a plastic cover.

I am waiting for the new HCx screen protector from Boxwave, which I haven't tried yet. Then I will do a Shieldzone/Boxwave comparison. I'm not sure if the invisible shield cuts down the transmission of light because of some polarising effect. It does appear to do that but I can't remember what it looked like off. Apparently the 60CSx is ready from Boxwave but I've not seen it yet.

I'm getting another HCx next week so I can compare this.

Been doing this for nearly 6 years - never really saw the need for these things. I do have a few scratches on my screen but they are minor and add just a bit of character to the unit.

You are likely less clumsy than I am. I have 1125 finds and 136 of those are FTF. Many of the FTF caches were done in the dark in uncertain terrain. I can think of at least 4 times in my two years of caching when I would have totally ruined the screen of my unit had it not been protected with the invisibleSHIELD. There have been a number of additional incidents where, while the screen wouldn't have been ruined, it definitely would have incurred scratches. I also would have trashed the crystal of my watch numerous times had it not been likewse protected. I'm not the most graceful person you will meet so, at least for me, this item is a truly wonderful thing.

I just placed an order for one to protect my new 60CSx.

It said 3 weeks delivery (to the US), does it really take that long?

Yes. Ordered three, 1 for Venture Cx, 1 for Fuji Finepix and 1 for my wife's Canon EOS 40D (yes it is as awesome as she thought). The shield works great and after it settles there are no bubles or dots.

Do those invisible shield things allow you to still use the touch screen? After reading some of these I'm thinking of getting one myself.

Depends on the type of touchscreen. iphone - No, not at all. PDA type - yes, but InvisibleShield doesn't work well with a stylus. Its surface is a bit tacky (but not sticky). PDAs needs a very smooth, slick surface.

Apparently InvisibleShield does work on iphones. I assumed they wouldn't since you can't use an iphone while wearing gloves - it requires skin contact.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Hi..i just bought an Etrex Venture cx unit and want a protector for my screen??..ive seen the invisibleSHIELD

from http://www.shieldzone.com/ they look good!!..has anyone used one?? do you reccommend them??..do they look good?? easy to apply??..any help would be great..[;)]

Another option is made by a company call Zagg. There website is at http://www.shieldzone.com/. The material is the same stuff that the military uses on the leading edges of helicopter blades. I have it on all of my LCD screens. You can scratch it with your car key without anything affecting the clarity - very durable stuff. It also works on items that have screen navigation such as the Iphone. This is the best stuff that I have run across so far. If your GPS is not listed, the company will custom make one to fit your particular device. It sounds like I work for the company, but I'm just very satisfied with their products. They also have a free lifetime replacement policy!

from http://www.shieldzone.com/ they look good!!..has anyone used one?? do you reccommend them??..do they look good?? easy to apply??..any help would be great..[;)]

Another option is made by a company call Zagg. There website is at http://www.shieldzone.com/. The material is the same stuff that the military uses on the leading edges of helicopter blades. I have it on all of my LCD screens. You can scratch it with your car key without anything affecting the clarity - very durable stuff. It also works on items that have screen navigation such as the Iphone. This is the best stuff that I have run across so far. If your GPS is not listed, the company will custom make one to fit your particular device. It sounds like I work for the company, but I'm just very satisfied with their products. They also have a free lifetime replacement policy!

That's not another option. That's the same option.

Zagg IS ShieldZone.

Just to chime in here on several thoughts. We have invisibleshields on both our GPSs. We also are using cases by foarm to protect the rest of the unit. It has cut-outs for the buttons and screen. Its been a great combo.

A few weeks ago, my wife set her GPS on the ground and sprayed herself with bug repellant. It must have misted over to her screen and it turned the whole thing foggy. She called invisbleshield and they sent her a new one. I did try spraying a clear plastic spoon with the same repellant and sure enough it attacked the plastic. We would have been really bummed out if it had been her screen and not the invisibleshield.

Just to chime in here on several thoughts. We have invisibleshields on both our GPSs. We also are using cases by foarm to protect the rest of the unit. It has cut-outs for the buttons and screen. Its been a great combo.

A few weeks ago, my wife set her GPS on the ground and sprayed herself with bug repellant. It must have misted over to her screen and it turned the whole thing foggy. She called invisbleshield and they sent her a new one. I did try spraying a clear plastic spoon with the same repellant and sure enough it attacked the plastic. We would have been really bummed out if it had been her screen and not the invisibleshield.

DEET will do that. Try switching to a product that uses Picaridin (aka, Icaridin) instead. As good as DEET, and won't fog plastics.