i want to start a EXTREME GEOCACHING

samtbmxer

Welcome to the Forums! :)

Extreme Geocaching already exists. Just limit your cache searches to those that have a Terrain rating of '5'. :P

That is easy to do with Pocket Queries available to Premium Members.

5 terrains are not always "extreme." Often a 5 is just using special equipment like a ladder or a boat. So I would recommend creating an extreme series of caches. :P You might even be able to create a Waymarking category that you could control to do this. Waymarks are virtuals, which require no maintenance. Edited by TrailGators

Welcome to the Forums! :)

Extreme Geocaching already exists. Just limit your cache searches to those that have a Terrain rating of '5'. :P

That is easy to do with Pocket Queries available to Premium Members.

Red alert! Danger, Will Robinson! Read on!

For reasons of her own, Miragee -- hapless tool of the Bavarian Illuminati and the Bilderberg Cabal that she is -- is choosing to lie to you and tell you that extreme geocaches exist, as will many other members of this large international forum. However, this is untrue. The dark reasons for their lies and distortions lay in a secret and vast conspiracy for world domination that extends well beyond geocaching and well beyond this planet, and indeed, well beyond our galaxy and even well beyond this universe.

The sad reality is that there are NO extreme caches anywhere in the world, and there never will be. Yes, there are some caches which bear terrain ratings of 3.5, 4, 4.5 or 5 and/or which claim to be so extreme that the act of hunting them could kill you in a heartbeat, but the reality is that these caches are no more difficult or extreme than an average lamp post micro, although if you wish to claim a find on these so-called "extreme" caches, you will be required to fabricate a tall tale about your supposed "adventures" in finding the ahem, "extreme" cache! So, the reality is that all caches bearing a terrain rating of 3.5 or above and/or which claim to be extreme caches are tall tale caches, and nothing more. I should know: I own many of these tall tale "extreme" caches myself, including all the caches in my Psycho Urban Cache series and all the caches in my Psycho Backcountry Cache series. Sad but true. So, there are no extreme caches. Move on! Nothing to see here.

You did before? :)

Anyway-to answer the OP-why start a new type of geocaching? Just hide some near you that are on extreme terrain, or need the special equipment.

Although the first 25 or so nearest you last find all look pretty routine, there are a few 4* terrain ones about 16 miles north of there.

Hallaway Hill has a 4.5* terrain rating.

Sherin Park has a 4* difficulty rating.

Keep in mind that even in your area, a snowmobile cache will only be that for half the year, and simply a long hike the other half. A SCUBA cache may only be available a few months out of the year. To hide a swimming/boating cache, just find an island.

Just be sure that you really do read the guidelines, and ask your local reviewer if you have any questions. It looks like you need permits for State Park caches up there.

Edited by wimseyguy

You know, I don't think I can trust that Vinny guy any more...

Ah yes! Maybe it's wise to NOT trust Vinny! :P

I could tell you truth about ALL of his so called EXTREME caches.......for a price! I happen to know a few other cachers in the area that could confirm OR deny the existence of these SO CALLED extreme caches.

You might want to ask my six year old daughter! :)

Ok, if any one wants to actualy help me in starting this, please email me, and visit the site extremegeocaching.8k.com

Well, I'll be honest with ya. I'm still trying to figure out one thing.

Why?

There's 'extreme' caches here at gc.com. There are servers in place, and databases set up to manage all of the data, even a nifty tool to let me really customize my search. I like to streamline stuff as much as I can. Why on earth would I want to go to some other half-baked website to get cache data?

Do you have the programming knowledge to set up your own database? Do you have the bandwidth available to handle the meager traffic flow you might get? Or are you just going to piggyback on gc.com's infrastructure? Seems to me like you spent 15 minutes thinking this through up, another 30 building your content-less website, and now want people to jump on board with your half-baked idea and do the work for you?

Nice try.

Edited by dkwolf

Ok, if any one wants to actualy help me in starting this, please email me, and visit the site extremegeocaching.8k.com

Why?

There's 'extreme' caches here at gc.com. There are servers in place, and databases set up to manage all of the data, even a nifty tool to let me really customize my search. I like to streamline stuff as much as I can. Why on earth would I want to go to some other half-baked website to get cache data?

Do you have the programming knowledge to set up your own database? Do you have the bandwidth available to handle the meager traffic flow you might get? Or are you just going to piggyback on gc.com's infrastructure? Seems to me like you spent 15 minutes thinking this through up, another 30 building your content-less website, and now want people to jump on board with your half-baked idea and do the work for you?

Nice try.

Which is one reason why GC.com dominates the market.....

Why?

Nice try.

I agree with your points 150%, but I must note with exasperated humor that everything you have told the OP about the fact that there are already plenty of extreme -- and even VERY EXTREME -- geocaches on this site (and the related fact that there are literally dozens of past forum threads here which have discussed the topic of extreme geocaching in depth) is something that numerous folks have already told him/her on BOTH threads started by the OP. However, for some reason, the OP does not seem to have understood that advice. Overall, it is all very odd... In fact, particularly in light of the fact that we now learn that the OP does not like goats, I must wonder aloud if perhaps "it" is a troll... or a disinformation agent sent by the evil shifty space aliens to distract us while their nasty New World Order government quietly disables all our extreme geocaches...

Why?

Nice try.

I agree with your points 150%, but I must note with exasperated humor that everything you have told the OP about the fact that there are already plenty of extreme -- and even VERY EXTREME -- geocaches on this site (and the related fact that there are literally dozens of past forum threads here which have discussed the topic of extreme geocaching in depth) is something that numerous folks have already told him/her on BOTH threads started by the OP. However, for some reason, the OP does not seem to have understood that advice. Overall, it is all very odd... In fact, particularly in light of the fact that we now learn that the OP does not like goats, I must wonder aloud if perhaps "it" is a troll... or a disinformation agent sent by the evil shifty space aliens to distract us while their nasty New World Order government quietly disables all our extreme geocaches...

Oh, cut him some slack, most likely it's a teenager. And one who needs to pay more attention in English class, I might add :D Reminds me of the time a teen started a local geocaching organization on a Tripod (free websites, with pop-up ads) webpage. Either that, or a disinformation agent sent by the evil shifty space aliens to distract us while their nasty New World Order government quietly disables all our extreme geocaches. And eats all our planet's goats.

Does anyone happen to have a bookmark list of extreme caches? :D

Book mark? Can't you just skydive to each cache and make it extreme? Or you can put on a T-Shirt with a racist logo that is custom designed for each neighborhood to maximize cache retrieval difficulty, or you can start in Texas for a New York cache using a Pogostick and a paperclip. Extreme caches are limited only by the finders creativity.

Does anyone happen to have a bookmark list of extreme caches? :D

There are several such public bookmark lists of extreme geocaches. Here are a few:

First, there is my Extreme and Adventure Caches bookmark list.

Next, there is Remote, Cave, Bunker, Climbing, T5 Caches, by German extreme geocacher JeeperMTJ. The list is somewhat Euro-centric, but it does contain a number of North American extreme caches, including some of my Psycho Urban Caches (located in the USA.)

There is the German-language list called Lecker T5 machen , kuckst Du hier... by German extreme geocacher JEVER. This list, is even more Euro-centric, and especially Germany-centric, than the Remote Cave... bookmark list cited above, but it does list some of my Psycho caches located in the USA.

Then there is the Special&ExtremeCaches-worldwide list by German extreme geocacher GNUMPF-POSSE.de [bt]

And, there is the rather short list called Extreme Caches ("Most extreme caches around, usually 5/5 and guaranteed to swallow your soul") by NJ geocacher Kymus.

Lastly, there is another list by Kymus, this one a very short one, called You Gotta Be Crazy ("...to do these caches. Absolutely, positively. Chance of death, disease, impairment, are all very likely."). Interestingly, his comment therein for my Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations, simply reads: "One word: radiation."

One way to keep track of new public bookmark lists for extreme caches is to occasionally check the Bookmark Lists box in the right hand column of the cache listing pages for my Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible - Give Up Now!" and also the one for my Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations, as these two caches are listed on virtually every list of extreme geocaches in the world due to their infamy.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

ok, i get it, thanks for the support every one B)

by the way vinn, i raise pigmys, oberhassen, fainting goats, chickens, and rabbits :grin:B)B)

B)B)B)B)B)B)

We primarily have chickens, guinea fowl, ducks, geese and turkeys, but lately, the ducks have been multiplying rapidly and they now almost outnumber all the other birds. That is quite fine with us, as ducks are very happy birds! As far as my talking about goats, that is simply my job: I receive a salary from an obscure agency of the federal government to mention goats favorably on online forums, list groups and websites, and I also receive a small (less than $100k per year) joint stipend from Groundspeak and from the CIA (yes, the one in VA; they are very much fans of goats) specifically earmarked for mentioning goats in a positive light on these forums.

Does anyone happen to have a bookmark list of extreme caches? B)
There are several such public bookmark lists of extreme geocaches. Here are a few:

Next, there is Remote, Cave, Bunker, Climbing, T5 Caches, by German extreme geocacher JeeperMTJ. The list is somewhat Euro-centric, but it does contain a number of North American extreme caches.

There is the German-language list called Lecker T5 machen , kuckst Du hier... by German extreme geocacher JEVER. This list, same as with the previous one, is somewhat Euro-centric and especially Germany-centric.

Then there is the Special&ExtremeCaches-worldwide list by German extreme geocacher GNUMPF-POSSE.de [bt]

And, there is the rather short list called Extreme Caches ("Most extreme caches around, usually 5/5 and guaranteed to swallow your soul") by NJ geocacher Kymus.

Lastly, there is another list by Kymus, this one a very short one, called You Gotta Be Crazy ("...to do these caches. Absolutely, positively. Chance of death, disease, impairment, are all very likely."). Interestingly, his comment therein for my Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations, simply reads: "One word: radiation."

One way to keep track of new public bookmark lists for extreme caches is to occasionally check the Bookmark Lists box in the right hand column of the cache listing pages for my Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible - Give Up Now!" and also the one for my Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations, as they are listed on virtually every list of extreme geocaches in the world due to their infamy.

Are there any extreme caches that require a goat?

If I look through the list of cache attributes, I can see that some caches require scuba gear, a snowmobile and/or a dog, but alas, without a goat attribute, it's hard to find caches that require goats.

(Apologies if this was already covered in the FAQ...)

Checked out the "instant-site"

Did you really mean to say "repelling" or did you mean "rappelling"?

Also, I think you might have a legal issue using the word "geocaching" on your own independent game site.

by the way vinn, i raise pigmys, oberhassen, fainting goats, chickens, and rabbits B)B):grin:

Oh, I hope no one (me included) was too harsh. B) You could easily find a way to put your website design skills to use for geocaching. Volunteer for your local geocaching organization. Start a cool geocaching blog. How about a website that links to the caches on the bookmark lists, and talks about all things extreme geocaching? That Vinny guy is the world's foremost extreme geocacher, I'd probably go with his opinion. On an extreme geocaching website that is, not goats.

by the way vinn, i raise pigmys, oberhassen, fainting goats, chickens, and rabbits B)B):grin:

Oh, I hope no one (me included) was too harsh. B) You could easily find a way to put your website design skills to use for geocaching. Volunteer for your local geocaching organization. Start a cool geocaching blog. How about a website that links to the caches on the bookmark lists, and talks about all things extreme geocaching? That Vinny guy is the world's foremost extreme geocacher, I'd probably go with his opinion. On an extreme geocaching website that is, not goats.

GRRRRR....

Ahem... You wouldn't go with my opinion on goats? Huh? What are you, some kind of commie pinko subversive terrorist wacko? Or are you maybe a disinformation agent working for the advance guard of the sinister half-human/half-reptoid reptilian army of the New World Order conspiracy?

Having said that, I feel that you gave the OP some excellent advice about how he(*) may wish to channel his creative energies regarding extreme geocaching.

Oh, and thanks for nominating me as "the world's foremost geocacher"! I doubt that is true, but I know for sure that the sheriffs in some local counties call me "the world's foremost goat-snatcher"! However, regarding the world's foremost geocacher" label, I could make a good argument that the cachers who have successfully scored finds on ALL my Psycho Urban caches might qualify for the title!

*note: after checking out the OP's profile page and email address, I am assuming for now that the OP is a male; my apologies if my assumption is/was wrong!

I think that word is not trademarked and if used on the 8k.com site no one will see it anyway....

Why not invest in hiding good quality 5/5 caches here and if the market demands upping the scale to 10/10 or new attributes are needed then that demand can drive change.

Personally I think trying to make any listing site outside of this one won't be too successful. One other one has an audience but this is the place to list good quality extreme caches.

hey vinn u going to stop joking about goats?? B)

I can't. That's my job. If I stopped doing it, someone else would have to do it. And, I get paid well for doing it!

See, what did I tell you? B)

Exactly! B):grin:B)B)B)B)

By the way, Sioneva, the goats send you their best wishes, as do the ducks and hens and geese!

I thought we got rid of the duck. B)B)

Does anyone happen to have a bookmark list of extreme caches? :laughing:

Next, there is Remote, Cave, Bunker, Climbing, T5 Caches, by German extreme geocacher JeeperMTJ. The list is somewhat Euro-centric, but it does contain a number of North American extreme caches.

There is the German-language list called Lecker T5 machen , kuckst Du hier... by German extreme geocacher JEVER. This list, same as with the previous one, is somewhat Euro-centric and especially Germany-centric.

One way to keep track of new public bookmark lists for extreme caches is to occasionally check the Bookmark Lists box in the right hand column of the cache listing pages for my Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible - Give Up Now!" and also the one for my Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations, as they are listed on virtually every list of extreme geocaches in the world due to their infamy.

Are there any extreme caches that require a goat?

If I look through the list of cache attributes, I can see that some caches require scuba gear, a snowmobile and/or a dog, but alas, without a goat attribute, it's hard to find caches that require goats.

(Apologies if this was already covered in the FAQ...)

You can always filter with the livestock attribute and see if you get lucky. :laughing:

IIRC there was also a Western Canadian crew who placed a number of extreme caches. Their profile picture was of a helicopter, probably used to place some of the caches, and the team's name was a radio callsign alphabet soup kinda thing. :laughing:

<snip>

You can always filter with the livestock attribute and see if you get lucky. :laughing:

IIRC there was also a Western Canadian crew who placed a number of extreme caches. Their profile picture was of a helicopter, probably used to place some of the caches, and the team's name was a radio callsign alphabet soup kinda thing. :laughing:

You must be talking about TEAM KFWB GPS

<snip>

You must be talking about TEAM KFWB GPS

Thanks for dredging their name out of memory! :laughing: Ever since reading wimseyguy's note, I had been trying to rack my brain to remember the name of that team, so you saved my sanity! If I recall correctly, they seem to have also gone at times under the name "Extreme Team" (oops! late edit: just did some belated online research, and the exact name was/is "X-TREME GPS TEAM"), and at one time I useta follow their hide exploits and contests at VIGPS and the Geocacher's Sandbox forum. They claim to have been placing geocaches and holding cash-prize contests for finders since 1989.

I believe that I have heard from BC (Canada) geocachers that the team has given away over $50k in cash prizes for their geocaching contests over the past ten years or so.

"The TEAM", as TEAM KFWB GPS is now known as, is still active in BC and some states (Utah, Oregon, etc). They still put out contests with great prizes.

http://vigps.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3&...b5a4ec8c91a0435

is where you can find past and current contests. The photo's at the VIGPS.com site are also great!

We truly are lucky to have THE TEAM in our part of the world. We don't get "smilies" for TEAM caches anymore, but that's totally irrelevant :laughing:

Note: edit for spelling

Edited by ickster

"The TEAM", as TEAM KFWB GPS is now known as, is still active in BC and some states (Utah, Oregon, etc). They still put out contests with great prizes.

http://vigps.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3&...b5a4ec8c91a0435

is where you can find past and current contests. The photo's at the VIGPS.com site are also great!

We truly are lucky to have THE TEAM in our part of the world. We don't get "smilies" for TEAM caches anymore, but that's totally irrelevant :unsure:

Note: edit for spelling

Thanks for this additional info! They are definitely an inspiration for contest-type caches! Were/are any of their hides actually high Terrain (i.e., 4.5 or above) placements or were they largely just insanely difficult ?

Thanks for this additional info! They are definitely an inspiration for contest-type caches! Were/are any of their hides actually high Terrain (i.e., 4.5 or above) placements or were they largely just insanely difficult ?

Most terrain recently I would rate as 3.5 (I hope the TEAM isn't reading this, or they may make our life more difficult in the future <_< ). Difficulty is definitely up there - "find a point along a line where, 10.4 km away you can see a house and as further reference, you can see a white rock 3.1km away and 120m lower" being one of my favourites. The other tough part of the contests is the shear magnitude of most of them.

For the tougher terrain contests, you have to go back a couple of years. They had some contests with stages requiring scuba gear. The most difficult thing recently has been finding "moonbombs" buried (remember, this is not a GS endorsed activity!) well below the high tide line in sandy beaches. Great fun :mad: