The Great Pumpkin!

MustangJoni

In some parts of Germany (for example where I grew up) we have some traditions which are similar when you combine them. In late winter we have carnival, and all dress up. We have some kind of parade, where they throw candies and flowers and especially the kids have lots of fun.

Fasching! :D

(if I spelled it right)

Yes, you spelled it right :D Fasching, Karneval, Fastelovend, Fastnet, Fastnacht, there are a lot of names for it, and every area celebrates it a little bit different (and some areas ignore it completely...) Where I grew up it is celebrated for nearly a full week, with one day nearly a holiday, and schools closed for at least two days, and where I live it is ignored :D

Me last year:

Karneval_1.jpg

My brother this year:

Karneval_2.jpg

Edited by Steinwälzer

I love Halloween, it's my favorite holiday. I love to see all the kids dress up and I even get all scary looking (even more than normal) and sneak out and put a fright into unsuspecting youngsters.

This year will be a bit different for me. I can't afford all the fun and such of past Halloweens, can't afford to buy the bags of candy, the making of caramel apples, caramel corn etc. Can't afford the Halloween party with the great costume contests and the kids getting to dive into the sawdust for hidden treasures. We'd have a huge bonfire and hayrides...all the fun stuff that make this holiday so great! For the first time in about 15 years, I will be in too sad of shape (financially) to be able to enjoy everything I used to.

I will still have fun watching the youngsters gleefully run from house to house, I'll still dress up and scare them. Life will go on!

If you guys don't see much of me in the coin forums these days, it's because I simply can't afford my addiction any longer. Our business is on the brink of going under, all my perks have been given up (to try to keep us afloat). I will be going on unemployment maybe for the last time (we do so every year...seasonal job), maybe only to end up permanently unemployed from our business we've owned for 26+ years.

I have truly enjoyed these forums, but I try hard to stay away since I can't buy any coins (and am tempted by many). As soon as I can break the habit of jumping to the order page every time I see a great coin come out, I might be able to participate a bit more here again, until then, I'll have to say THANKS for the fun!!

Some of you have become friends even from afar! I will miss that!! Maybe soon I'll be able buy coins again, but for now, I am just happy to have met sooo many of you and will always cherish the memories from these coins I have amassed. I guess in the end, it hasn't been about the coins at all, but the people behind the coins.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN ALL, and HAPPY CACHING!

I am so sorry that things are going so crappy for you right now, Roddy! But, just because you can't buy anything doesn't mean that you have to leave! This Geocoin forum is like a family (albeit at times slightly dysfunctional, hehehe) but family all the same. Buying stuff here doesn't make you a part of it, being here and participating does! Don't drop out!

Micke and I are in pretty dire straits ourselves. We're pretty close to filing bankruptcy here, we just can't keep our heads up above water without me working, and I can't find a job :surprise:. Honestly the people here really help keep me going. I laugh and smile with them, read about their escapades, admire their coins and creativity, and try to contribute all that I can to the forum by being positive and as helpful as I can! There are days when this forum is my only smile (outside my wonderful family, that is) and it makes a huge difference. Sometimes buying isn't what is important, just being here is!

Hang in there, Roddy. I know times suck royally right now, trust me, I'm experiencing it, too, but hang in there! It takes a lot of courage to come here and say what is up and how you're feeling here, but you did it, and that makes you a big person in my book!

As for Halloween, well, it's my favorite holiday, too. Find what you can to decorate cheaply (for example, a bottle of white shoe polish with the sponge tip and a few black garbage bags slit open and taped together can make a great castle wall; A peice of old styrofoam can be cut with a soldering iron if you have it, if not, just a sharp knife, into a tombstone shape and a black sharpie marker can put a name, date and epitath on it; pumpkins are pretty cheap - instead of going for one big one, go for a number of medium sized ones and decorate them; simply changing the lightbulb in your porch to red instead of white, or in your living room to red instead of white can create a spooky atmosphere, too; does Mrs. Roddy have an old sheet or something of that ilk (love that word!) - if she does, rip it to thin shreds and hang them from a tree in your front yard and save the other half for washing the car or dustrags for her, hehehe!) and do it. Use your creativity and imagination and I bet you can come up with a lot to do on a very, very shoestring budget, and even better, have fun doing it and get your mind off of things. Remember, laughter is a great healer, so is time... but good friends is the best of all...and that is what you have here!

*hugs*

Naomi :ph34r: also so broke I can't pay attention!

Naomi, you are a real sweetheart! I have watched your posts for some time now and have thought you were a great person, now I KNOW!!

It's wonderful how many people in this forum really CARE, the well-wishing has really lifted my spirits...THANKS! I've said before (and my feelings are reaffirmed) that this forum is like a second family to me (even though I've only been here a short time), you people are special!!

Believe me, I'm not just going to give up, I'm a fighter! I have a bunch of stuff I can sell, the weather is kinda nice, so I'm going to have a yard sale this weekend and maybe next...money is money (and most of this stuff is little used anyway). Not sure what will happen with the golf course, but can't dwell on that or I'll go crazy!

THANKS for the kind words from all! THANKS to those who have contacted me personally! You people are AWESOME!! I'll ALWAYS remember all the kindness here!! Don't worry, I'm not going far (yet...hopefully never), just want to break my addiction without breaking my already emptied wallet!! You see, I look at those great coins and can't resist jumping straight to the order page (you'd be amazed how difficult it was to read a few of those "upcoming coin" posts). When I can look past those and just read the other topics, I'll be fine!!

Now, to let a few people know that I can't meet responsibility on the coins I pre-ordered. OUCH!!

Remember Charlie Brown told us we have to be patient and believe.

Oh, no worries...we believe! "There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."-Linus

But I agree with Linus in other ways:

Dear Great Pumpkin,

I am looking forward to your arrival on Halloween night.

I'm also hoping that instead of a bag of rocks, I can fall asleep waiting for your arrival.

-NeverSummer

Naomi, you are a real sweetheart! I have watched your posts for some time now and have thought you were a great person, now I KNOW!!

It's wonderful how many people in this forum really CARE, the well-wishing has really lifted my spirits...THANKS! I've said before (and my feelings are reaffirmed) that this forum is like a second family to me (even though I've only been here a short time), you people are special!!

Believe me, I'm not just going to give up, I'm a fighter! I have a bunch of stuff I can sell, the weather is kinda nice, so I'm going to have a yard sale this weekend and maybe next...money is money (and most of this stuff is little used anyway). Not sure what will happen with the golf course, but can't dwell on that or I'll go crazy!

THANKS for the kind words from all! THANKS to those who have contacted me personally! You people are AWESOME!! I'll ALWAYS remember all the kindness here!! Don't worry, I'm not going far (yet...hopefully never), just want to break my addiction without breaking my already emptied wallet!! You see, I look at those great coins and can't resist jumping straight to the order page (you'd be amazed how difficult it was to read a few of those "upcoming coin" posts). When I can look past those and just read the other topics, I'll be fine!!

Now, to let a few people know that I can't meet responsibility on the coins I pre-ordered. OUCH!!

You are making me blush! Thank you!

To be honest, I thought of you all day today while out shopping and looking at all the stuff for sale... I was wondering if you couldn't use your golf course, or a part of it, maybe off the greens to protect them, and do a haunted house or haunted forest type of thing... and charge admission? Maybe get the local high school drama club involved as they have access to costumes AND creative imaginations! Just a thought...and if ya gotta go out, at least do it in glory and doing something you truly love! :surprise:

Be honest with the people that you've made reservations with. Maybe some will try to work with you, some might be disappointed, but hopefully they'll understand and know that it's just a bump in the road for you guys.

Just remember, one day at a time! :ph34r:

Naomi

I haven't been around much lately but I seen this cute little coin last night when looking around on the site...

pwease pwease pwease! I wike it!

I think my little girl will like it better then her cartoons that contain pumpkins... she's not going to like halloween much... me thinks...

Pumpkin person, if you have an extra coin around.... it would be much appreciated!

Cache Agent

We've had a busy couple of days leading up to Bella's birthday on

Tuesday (10/23), and when we finally got back home at 10:00 pm tonight I saw

that a special Geo Pumpkin had visited our cache! I think a crow must

have gotten past the scarecrows and perhaps whispered a little

something to the Pumpkin about a special little girls up coming birthday. So,

tired as I may be, I ran back out and searched out the one cache of mine

that is always hard for me to find myself! Being night time it was a

bit spooky so I grabbed a flashlight. During the day time there isn't

anything scary here at all, but tonight the leaves were a rustling and

there were sounds coming from behind me all the time. So I found the

cache as quickly as I could and swapped a personal coin for the special

package. Bella is asleep so we'll wait till she wakes up and let her open

it. I can't wait to see her smile! Thanks Geo Pumpkin!

P.S. We got pretty lucky, as we've been out of the state visiting family for the last couple days and only today decided we'd come home instead of tomorrow! Unfortunately we still have not found a pumpkin patch to take Bella to.

Edited by UOTrackers

Dear Great Pumpkin,

I am looking forward to your arrival on Halloween night.

-NeverSummer

Well, I got home to Salt Lake from a road trip to San Jose, and while checking my e-mail, I found out that the Great Geo-Pumpkin made a stop near my house. So being the good little trucker I am, I hauled my back side over to see if there was a gift left behind, or if I would get a bag of rocks this year... well, I much have done something right. I now am the proud owner of my first Great Geo-Pumpkin coin. I beleive, I Do, I Do, I REALLY Do... :)

Well, I got home to Salt Lake from a road trip to San Jose, and while checking my e-mail, I found out that the Great Geo-Pumpkin made a stop near my house. So being the good little trucker I am, I hauled my back side over to see if there was a gift left behind, or if I would get a bag of rocks this year... well, I much have done something right. I now am the proud owner of my first Great Geo-Pumpkin coin. I beleive, I Do, I Do, I REALLY Do... :)

Congratulations Dave! Nice to see another pumpkin show up in Utah.

Also congratulations to all the other lucky finders!

:)

Well, I got home to Salt Lake from a road trip to San Jose, and while checking my e-mail, I found out that the Great Geo-Pumpkin made a stop near my house. So being the good little trucker I am, I hauled my back side over to see if there was a gift left behind, or if I would get a bag of rocks this year... well, I much have done something right. I now am the proud owner of my first Great Geo-Pumpkin coin. I beleive, I Do, I Do, I REALLY Do... <_<

Congratulations Dave! Nice to see another pumpkin show up in Utah.

Also congratulations to all the other lucky finders!

:(

Think it's just dumb luck that I get coins like this, but I am glad all of the same.

This has got to be the biggest pumpkin I've ever seen. We visited a corn maze today with the Girls Scouts and this pumpkin was there. I just had to take a pic with the girls.

giant_pumpkin.jpg

...Anthus

Dang! Like James and the Giant Peach, only it's a pumpkin and James isn't around. <_<

Congrats to all the recent finders!

The Great Geopumpkin recently was in Idaho! I was traveling home from a weekend of visiting my brother in Twin Falls & stopped to do a couple of caches. One of the caches is one that I had been meaning to do for awhile but just kept putting it off. Imagine my surprise when I opened the cache & discovered a Great Geo-Pumpkin coin sitting inside the ziplock bag the logbook was in. It definately made it worth braving the cold windy weather.

Thank you Great Geo-Pumpkin!!!!!

The Great Geopumpkin recently was in Idaho! I was traveling home from a weekend of visiting my brother in Twin Falls & stopped to do a couple of caches. One of the caches is one that I had been meaning to do for awhile but just kept putting it off. Imagine my surprise when I opened the cache & discovered a Great Geo-Pumpkin coin sitting inside the ziplock bag the logbook was in. It definately made it worth braving the cold windy weather.

WOW! Congrats Karma, I'm glad you got one:)

Thanks! I do hope they give you some ideas. I'd love to see a pic of what you both do for Halloween. Sorry to hear about your summer growing weather.

Here are the pumpkins that my dad and sister made for me last year -- they have lights in them too. I keep these inside the house. I just love the pumpkins and would treasure a "metal" kind (--hint -- hint --- hint for the Great GeoPumpkin)!

pumpkins2.jpg

Hey, cool! That's the first time I've seen "my" pumpkins elsewhere. I have that pattern too, and make 'em for craft shows -- but mine look a little different!

Thanks! I do hope they give you some ideas. I'd love to see a pic of what you both do for Halloween. Sorry to hear about your summer growing weather.

Here are the pumpkins that my dad and sister made for me last year -- they have lights in them too. I keep these inside the house. I just love the pumpkins and would treasure a "metal" kind (--hint -- hint --- hint for the Great GeoPumpkin)!

pumpkins2.jpg

Hey, cool! That's the first time I've seen "my" pumpkins elsewhere. I have that pattern too, and make 'em for craft shows -- but mine look a little different!

Yeah. My dad and sister do the craft show thing too. My dad cuts the wood. My sister does all the painting -- she is so talented! They often tweek the patterns they buy -- maybe the eyes are better cut differently or the nose isn't big enough or the pose just isn't right for them -- I think they have 7 different pumpkins now for that grouping. Where I live, Halloween & Christmas are the big craft seasons. So, I get lots of Halloween crafts.

....Anthus

Congratulations on your find Karma! That is totally awesome!

Congratualtions to the other recent finders too!!