The Great Pumpkin!

MustangJoni

WOOHOO, got an email notification that a near by cache had been hit by the GGP, out the door I ran!!! YYYYEEEEEHHHAAAAAWWWWWW, bagged a GGP Geocoin ;) !!

Hehehe... Now that's how I imagine it ;-) Congrats!

I'm hoping the Great Pumpkin finds his way over to the Seattle area as after hiking and caching all day today, I think its going to take something very cool to get my family back out the door in a flash anytime soon!

We found one too! It was TOTAL dumb luck.

We rushed out the door hoping to grab an FTF on a new cache that was published. We thought there was NO chance. (Early Sat, nice weather)

Well, two others were published the night before - so we plugged in about 6 nearby caches, and went off. Got the FTF's on ALL THREE and then hit the last nearby cache that we hadnt grabbed yet.

What was in there but a little GeoPumpkin! Woot!!! VERY NEAT!

Thanks GeoPumpkin! Joel LOVES this coin!!!!

We attended an event tonight and when discussing the Geocoin Fairy (who also attended) with another cacher, I happened to glance at our table and there was the telltale Halloween candy bag. I told Jenn to go grab it before anyone else grabbed it and she ran over and made the grab. Inside was a Great Geo-Pumpkin Geocoin. Mahalo Great Geo-Pumpkin!

Congrats Dennis & BooBoo. Happy early birthday Bella!

Here pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin (hey it worked for Dennis ;) )

Here are a few pics from our yard today/tonight:

We grew all the pumpkins in this pic

pumpkins.jpg

My dad & sister made these for me last week

pumpkins_wooden.jpg

My little graveyard

graveyard.jpg

Graveyard at night

night.jpg

And finally,

skeleton.jpg

Oh yes, I just love Halloween!! And, I do believe !!

....Anthus

LOVE the decorations, Anthus! I wanna make me some of those pumpkin boxes, too...especially since pumpkins to carve here in Sweden usually run about 10 bucks a piece!

No grown pumpkins for us this summer, was a damp, cool, grey summer. Nothing grew, apples rotted on the trees, even.... BLECH! We even got our first dusting of snow last week! Fortunately it didn't stick, but it was an unwelcome reminder of what is to come!

Congrats to all the finders, again, I'm jealous :laughing:!

Anthus - thanks for the pics!!! It's awesome as it gives me some great ideas to use for Halloween!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :huh:

Now... I need to visit the cemetery and acquire me some of dem bones! ;)

LOVE the decorations, Anthus! I wanna make me some of those pumpkin boxes, too...especially since pumpkins to carve here in Sweden usually run about 10 bucks a piece!

No grown pumpkins for us this summer, was a damp, cool, grey summer. Nothing grew, apples rotted on the trees, even.... BLECH! We even got our first dusting of snow last week! Fortunately it didn't stick, but it was an unwelcome reminder of what is to come!

Congrats to all the finders, again, I'm jealous :P!

Thanks! I do hope they give you some ideas. I'd love to see a pic of what you both do for Halloween. Sorry to hear about your summer growing weather.

Here are the pumpkins that my dad and sister made for me last year -- they have lights in them too. I keep these inside the house. I just love the pumpkins and would treasure a "metal" kind (--hint -- hint --- hint for the Great GeoPumpkin)!

pumpkins2.jpg

I love Halloween, it's my favorite holiday. I love to see all the kids dress up and I even get all scary looking (even more than normal) and sneak out and put a fright into unsuspecting youngsters.

This year will be a bit different for me. I can't afford all the fun and such of past Halloweens, can't afford to buy the bags of candy, the making of caramel apples, caramel corn etc. Can't afford the Halloween party with the great costume contests and the kids getting to dive into the sawdust for hidden treasures. We'd have a huge bonfire and hayrides...all the fun stuff that make this holiday so great! For the first time in about 15 years, I will be in too sad of shape (financially) to be able to enjoy everything I used to.

I will still have fun watching the youngsters gleefully run from house to house, I'll still dress up and scare them. Life will go on!

If you guys don't see much of me in the coin forums these days, it's because I simply can't afford my addiction any longer. Our business is on the brink of going under, all my perks have been given up (to try to keep us afloat). I will be going on unemployment maybe for the last time (we do so every year...seasonal job), maybe only to end up permanently unemployed from our business we've owned for 26+ years.

I have truly enjoyed these forums, but I try hard to stay away since I can't buy any coins (and am tempted by many). As soon as I can break the habit of jumping to the order page every time I see a great coin come out, I might be able to participate a bit more here again, until then, I'll have to say THANKS for the fun!!

Some of you have become friends even from afar! I will miss that!! Maybe soon I'll be able buy coins again, but for now, I am just happy to have met sooo many of you and will always cherish the memories from these coins I have amassed. I guess in the end, it hasn't been about the coins at all, but the people behind the coins.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN ALL, and HAPPY CACHING!

What a great mystery coin. I'm sure the kids will have to start following this coin also. I did a scary night time cache just the other day. It's spooky at 11:30 PM almost all alone in the middle of nowhere.

We've been putting up decorations for several weeks but having been getting hit by tricksters. Pumpkins smashed and decorations torn down and taken. We just keep decorating. This weekend we're carving the jack-o-lantern. Daycare kids will begin painting theirs.

I would love to see one of these coins. Maybe someone nearby will find one in a opumpkin patch and show us. HAPPY HUNTING everyone and watchout for goblins.

I love Halloween, it's my favorite holiday. I love to see all the kids dress up and I even get all scary looking (even more than normal) and sneak out and put a fright into unsuspecting youngsters.

This year will be a bit different for me. I can't afford all the fun and such of past Halloweens, can't afford to buy the bags of candy, the making of caramel apples, caramel corn etc. Can't afford the Halloween party with the great costume contests and the kids getting to dive into the sawdust for hidden treasures. We'd have a huge bonfire and hayrides...all the fun stuff that make this holiday so great! For the first time in about 15 years, I will be in too sad of shape (financially) to be able to enjoy everything I used to.

I will still have fun watching the youngsters gleefully run from house to house, I'll still dress up and scare them. Life will go on!

If you guys don't see much of me in the coin forums these days, it's because I simply can't afford my addiction any longer. Our business is on the brink of going under, all my perks have been given up (to try to keep us afloat). I will be going on unemployment maybe for the last time (we do so every year...seasonal job), maybe only to end up permanently unemployed from our business we've owned for 26+ years.

I have truly enjoyed these forums, but I try hard to stay away since I can't buy any coins (and am tempted by many). As soon as I can break the habit of jumping to the order page every time I see a great coin come out, I might be able to participate a bit more here again, until then, I'll have to say THANKS for the fun!!

Some of you have become friends even from afar! I will miss that!! Maybe soon I'll be able buy coins again, but for now, I am just happy to have met sooo many of you and will always cherish the memories from these coins I have amassed. I guess in the end, it hasn't been about the coins at all, but the people behind the coins.

I am so sorry that things are going so crappy for you right now, Roddy! But, just because you can't buy anything doesn't mean that you have to leave! This Geocoin forum is like a family (albeit at times slightly dysfunctional, hehehe) but family all the same. Buying stuff here doesn't make you a part of it, being here and participating does! Don't drop out!

Micke and I are in pretty dire straits ourselves. We're pretty close to filing bankruptcy here, we just can't keep our heads up above water without me working, and I can't find a job :D. Honestly the people here really help keep me going. I laugh and smile with them, read about their escapades, admire their coins and creativity, and try to contribute all that I can to the forum by being positive and as helpful as I can! There are days when this forum is my only smile (outside my wonderful family, that is) and it makes a huge difference. Sometimes buying isn't what is important, just being here is!

Hang in there, Roddy. I know times suck royally right now, trust me, I'm experiencing it, too, but hang in there! It takes a lot of courage to come here and say what is up and how you're feeling here, but you did it, and that makes you a big person in my book!

As for Halloween, well, it's my favorite holiday, too. Find what you can to decorate cheaply (for example, a bottle of white shoe polish with the sponge tip and a few black garbage bags slit open and taped together can make a great castle wall; A peice of old styrofoam can be cut with a soldering iron if you have it, if not, just a sharp knife, into a tombstone shape and a black sharpie marker can put a name, date and epitath on it; pumpkins are pretty cheap - instead of going for one big one, go for a number of medium sized ones and decorate them; simply changing the lightbulb in your porch to red instead of white, or in your living room to red instead of white can create a spooky atmosphere, too; does Mrs. Roddy have an old sheet or something of that ilk (love that word!) - if she does, rip it to thin shreds and hang them from a tree in your front yard and save the other half for washing the car or dustrags for her, hehehe!) and do it. Use your creativity and imagination and I bet you can come up with a lot to do on a very, very shoestring budget, and even better, have fun doing it and get your mind off of things. Remember, laughter is a great healer, so is time... but good friends is the best of all...and that is what you have here!

*hugs*

Naomi :D also so broke I can't pay attention!

I wish I could send you some of the many small decoration pumpkins we grew in our garden! But mailing them from Germany would be more expensive than buying them, I guess, and I am very low on money, too, so I can totally understand your situation. So many coins are coming out these days, and I can't afford them, too :D I still have some coins that I can trade, and try to find some money for the secret missions, but even paying for the shipping is on the costly side... (So you will find me at some strange jobs at university, where they need volunteering persons for scientific tests :D They need you for 30 to 45 Minutes for the test, and then you leave with 4 or 5 EUR in your pockets :D )

Halloween is still quite uncommon here in Germany. But every year there are more Halloween parties, and you can buy more decoration at the shops.

In some parts of Germany (for example where I grew up) we have some traditions which are similar when you combine them. In late winter we have carnival, and all dress up. We have some kind of parade, where they throw candies and flowers and especially the kids have lots of fun. And in late autumn we celebrate St. Martins Day. The kids make lanterns, and after dark there is some kind of procession with all kids, usually to a big fire. After that the kids go from house to house with their lanterns, sing some special songs and get candies for that (quite similar to your trick or treat!) But both traditions are very local...

In some parts of Germany (for example where I grew up) we have some traditions which are similar when you combine them. In late winter we have carnival, and all dress up. We have some kind of parade, where they throw candies and flowers and especially the kids have lots of fun. And in late autumn we celebrate St. Martins Day. The kids make lanterns, and after dark there is some kind of procession with all kids, usually to a big fire. After that the kids go from house to house with their lanterns, sing some special songs and get candies for that (quite similar to your trick or treat!) But both traditions are very local...

Fasching! :D

(if I spelled it right)