The Great Pumpkin!

MustangJoni

WOO-HOO!!!!

I was in geocoin chat and I got a notification that the Great Geo-Pumpkin had visited a local cache...only a mile away...so I rushed out after it...I got to the cache site...a scary place in the daylight, much less the dark, and went in...I quickly found the cache container and found an eerie-looking yet cute pumpkin...#42, no less!! I quickly traded for it and made my short way back home, feeling terribly satisfied.

Thanks, Great Geo-Pumpkin! :D

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Alas, there were no Great Pumpkin sitings at the PA event...however there was an 837 pound pumpkin down the road from the event :laughing:

Yes, sadly there were no sightings of the Great Geo-Pumpkin at the PA event :D:laughing: . The 837 pound pumpkin is only 1 mile from our house. They have one there every year at the farmers market. About 15 miles from here they have one that is over 1,000 pounds. I'll try to get a picture of them this weekend.

Congrats, 9key, AG, A&T and Frivlas!

I believe! -- I've never doubted the Great Pumpkin not even once. How could I!

....Stacy

Hmm . . . I keep seeing Frivlas coming up with these mystery coins . . . . . I makes me kind of wonder . . . .

Nah couldn't be . . . or could it?

Brat. LOL :D

Mine turned up on the travel bug table at geocoinfest. I saw a suspicious pumpkin patterned little bag and picked it up. I could feel the outline of a coin in the package and asked the people nearby if they knew anything about it or if it was theirs. No one had any info and they suggested that I open it. I was so excited I think they heard my shout of joy 3 counties away. I turned and scanned the room to see if I could see who had left it, but all I saw was a glimpse of orange disappearing into the stairwell. Thank you Great Geo Pumpkin!!!

I'm really, really jealous!

Here in Sweden they are only just starting to do Halloween and I miss it so much since it's my fave holiday - no stress, no family to deal with, no cooking, just FUN!

Still make our jack-o-lanterns every year, even though those precious pumpkins cost us close to 15 bucks each and we do at least 2 a year!

Ohhh, I love and miss Halloween, and yes, I too believe halloween1.gifpumpkin1.gifhalloween1.gif

Here in Sweden they are only just starting to do Halloween and I miss it so much since it's my fave holiday - no stress, no family to deal with, no cooking, just FUN!

Still make our jack-o-lanterns every year, even though those precious pumpkins cost us close to 15 bucks each and we do at least 2 a year!

Ohhh, I love and miss Halloween, and yes, I too believe halloween1.gifpumpkin1.gifhalloween1.gif

Same here with the just starting to do it - I mean it has always been around and we've known about it, but it was never celebrated in any way, shape or form when I was a kid. We only saw it in American TV programs and movies. But in the last 5 - 10 years it has been slowly growing, especially as retailers now get in behind it. Our son has dressed up the last 4 years (except last year when I think he was sick). But houses are far and few between - you might get 1 house in a block that is "in the spirit". We have tried to be during that period, if for nothing else but the kids doing it. It would be terrible if kids went out Trick or Treat'ing only to find no houses in the spirit :D

Adults don't get into it at all really. I think it is something that is going to come through in the next generation. It may already be starting to happen with our younger teens.

So this year I am thinking we could go all out... well, maybe not all out, but put in a whole heap more effort. I would really love to get my hands on a BIG, orange pumpkin, but we just don't grow them down here, and it is the wrong time of year :laughing:

I may have to improvise... and I am determined... so lets see what we can come up with.

Edited by keewee

...... no stress, no family to deal with, no cooking, just FUN!

Exactly! It's such a fun holiday.

Adults don't get into it at all really. I think it is something that is going to come through in the next generation. It may already be starting to happen with our younger teens.

It's pretty big with the adults here. We go all out with decorations too. My hubby says I have more Halloween decorations than I have Christmas decorations -- and I have a ton of Christmas decorations.

So this year I am thinking we could go all out... well, maybe not all out, but put in a whole heap more effort.

My sisters and I do this every year (all 4 of my sisters plus their kids). We go back to the area we grew up and take our kids trick or treating there. It's something I look forward to each year for. Our old neighbors just love seeing us and reminiscing the old days when we were so small. My sister and I still dress up when we go out trick or treating with our kids.

I do hope it catches on in the other countries. It really is a fun holiday where you can just dress up and goof off and fit in with everyone else. :D Let us know how your Halloween goes this year. I'd love to see pictures of how other countries celebrate the holiday.

...Anthus

Same here with the just starting to do it - I mean it has always been around and we've known about it, but it was never celebrated in any way, shape or form when I was a kid. We only saw it in American TV programs and movies. But in the last 5 - 10 years it has been slowly growing, especially as retailers now get in behind it. Our son has dressed up the last 4 years (except last year when I think he was sick). But houses are far and few between - you might get 1 house in a block that is "in the spirit". We have tried to be during that period, if for nothing else but the kids doing it. It would be terrible if kids went out Trick or Treat'ing only to find no houses in the spirit :laughing:

So this year I am thinking we could go all out... well, maybe not all out, but put in a whole heap more effort. I would really love to get my hands on a BIG, orange pumpkin, but we just don't grow them down here, and it is the wrong time of year :laughing:

I may have to improvise... and I am determined... so lets see what we can come up with.

Keewee,

here's an idea for you, it's giving someone a "BOO!" I linked the instructions here :laughing:. I'd do it if it weren't for the fact that we live in BFE and there are no houses with kids really here, unfortunately, but it looks like fun and like a good way to get the neighborhood into the spirit :D

We Dutch really love the orange color of the pumpkin. Can i be you friend, Great Geo-Pumpkin?

tot cache,

team Wij Drie :laughing:

You crazy Dutch love anything orange, lol!

"Adults don't get into it?" Hah! I spent last night making the skeleton for a 6'4" vampire to hang from the window, and the day before putting up a 25' spiderweb! Pics to come...

That's just here in New Zealand that they don't. Until recently it was something we only saw in movies and on TV as the retailers here weren't into it - so all the costumes and that weren't readily available - easily or cheaply.

Now they've realised they can make money out of it, some of the larger retailers now bring in a lot of things for Halloween and have an isle dedicated to things for Halloween, with associated marketing. So it is catching on.

But as no adults here were bought up with that mass marketing of Halloween, then it is something that is currently just done for the kids - and even then it is not done by very many people. But I plan to change that MMWHAHAHA...

So is it actually a holiday over there - like a day off work?

Nah, not a day off work thing, but a lot of companies and schools and everyone else gets into it and has fun. Malls do trick or treating for kids, halloween parties all over the place, kids knocking on doors trick or treating, costumes and decorations galore, just a LOT of fun...

And dang, how I miss it! :laughing:

Nah, not a day off work thing, but a lot of companies and schools and everyone else gets into it and has fun. Malls do trick or treating for kids, halloween parties all over the place, kids knocking on doors trick or treating, costumes and decorations galore, just a LOT of fun...

And dang, how I miss it! :laughing:

No, it's not a day off work kind of holiday for the USA. We do have a halloween party at work for lunch, though. The kids do go door-to-door trick or treating (with the local retail stores getting in on it too) and they have dress-up halloween parties at the schools. Oh and we have city parades. So, it is celebrated, just not a day off work like Christmas and Thanksgiving.

...Anthus

Congrats to the recent finders. I am afraid to say though that the only Pumkin patch around

here would be at our local Green Barn Garden Center. Even though the GREAT PUMPKIN may not make it here, he or she is still makeing quite a few people believe in the great pumkin! And for that I am thankfull. :laughing:

Edited by dardevle

"Adults don't get into it?" Hah! I spent last night making the skeleton for a 6'4" vampire to hang from the window, and the day before putting up a 25' spiderweb! Pics to come...

Okay I have to HA that one too. My best friends and her nieghbors put on a 4 yard haunted house every year complete with bobbin for apples, pinata, potato sack race, 2000 balloon pop game, pumpkin rolling, and prizes and candy gallore. We started building the haunted house in August. Its huge! The oldest adult in the crew just spent $100 on a couple of cases of silly string to spray at the kids and was quoted as saying "I dont think it'll be enough." All of the adults are worse than the kids when it comes to the costumes.

And to get this slightly back on topic, the Geo-Great Pumpkin dropped a coin 226 miles from me and my husband called me crazy and obsessed because I wanted to drive there to see if it was still there. :laughing:

Okay I have to HA that one too. My best friends and her nieghbors put on a 4 yard haunted house every year complete with bobbin for apples, pinata, potato sack race, 2000 balloon pop game, pumpkin rolling, and prizes and candy gallore. We started building the haunted house in August. Its huge! The oldest adult in the crew just spent $100 on a couple of cases of silly string to spray at the kids and was quoted as saying "I dont think it'll be enough." All of the adults are worse than the kids when it comes to the costumes.

And to get this slightly back on topic, the Geo-Great Pumpkin dropped a coin 226 miles from me and my husband called me crazy and obsessed because I wanted to drive there to see if it was still there. :laughing:

This is getting taken a little out of context - the context of my original comment was that in New Zealand adults don't get into it, as it is not a kiwi tradition, but that is changing. I in no way dispute that this is the case in the US, as I already know that to no be true at that many adult do get into the spirit of Halloween over there. :)

Edited by keewee

This is getting taken a little out of context - the context of my original comment was that in New Zealand adults don't get into it, as it is not a kiwi tradition, but that is changing. I in no way dispute that this is the case in the US, as I already know that to no be true at that many adult do get into the spirit of Halloween over there. :D

Please take this completely tongue in cheek....Whats wrong :laughing: with adults in NZ? :)

Seriously though maybe the Great G-P will make a stop there for you and maybe at the Cachetoberfest Im going to this weekend. :)