Garmin and National Geographic Topo software.

Barkoff

I bought a new HCx with hopes of using it with my National Geo Topo software, which the NG software is set up for. The Garmin Vista is listed as supported by the NG software, however when hooking up the new unti to my laptop, the NG software can't locate it.

Windows can see it, the Mapsource software can see it, but not NG.

ANY help?

Thank you.

I have the same problem with my Vista. Google Earth and GSAK both see it . But NG Topo , Microsoft Streetsand Trips and My Computer can't find it. Help!

I might have some time tomorrow to try NG first, and then Garmin second, I'll post with what I find out.

I just plugged my Vista HCx into my NG Topo (V 4.0) to see if it would work. No probelms. I downloaded waypoints and tracklogs from the receiver to the software, and all went as expected.

Can you tell me if you can see anything different?

I am on ver. 3.43

When I click test connection the software comes up empty.

Are you choosing "Handhelds" - "export to gps or or text" ?

screenshotNGexport.jpg

1512029650_681b4519ab_o.jpg

Here's mine...Maybe Version 4 is different?

I just plugged my Vista HCx into my NG Topo (V 4.0) to see if it would work. No probelms. I downloaded waypoints and tracklogs from the receiver to the software, and all went as expected.

I am on ver. 3.43

When I click test connection the software comes up empty.

Are you choosing "Handhelds" - "export to gps or or text" ?

screenshotNGexport.jpg

I am on ver. 3.43

There's your problem. Topo! 3.x doesn't support USB connections to a GPS, but your Vista HCx (which is different from the Vista that you see in there) has only a USB connection. You'll need to upgrade to Topo! 4.x. I started with 3.x too and then discovered this shortcoming. Rather than upgrading the original product, I bought the less expensive 'Streets and 3-D Views Expansion Pack' which upgraded me to v4.x and added several new features including street overlays, 3-D fly-throughs and USB support.