Overseas 60 Csx?

StephenNJ

I recently ordered a 60 Csx from Broadway Photo. I got an Email saying I had to call them to confirm my order and discovered that what they were selling is an "overseas" unit. They want $30 to sell me a warranty for the USA which I assume will not be from Garmin. They also tried to sell me batteries and a charger for what appeared to be a very high price.

Is this a common occurence? I don't think I want to mess around with a foreign model in case of a problem down the line. But perhaps this is the norm?

I'd appreciate feedback on this and also the names of vendors who sell genuine US models.

Thanks,

Steve

I recently ordered a 60 Csx from Broadway Photo. I got an Email saying I had to call them to confirm my order and discovered that what they were selling is an "overseas" unit. They want $30 to sell me a warranty for the USA which I assume will not be from Garmin. They also tried to sell me batteries and a charger for what appeared to be a very high price.

Is this a common occurence? I don't think I want to mess around with a foreign model in case of a problem down the line. But perhaps this is the norm?

I'd appreciate feedback on this and also the names of vendors who sell genuine US models.

Thanks,

Steve

I've never used Broadway Photo. Cannot give any opinions either on them. However, given what you have described they sound shady. If possible, I'd cancel my order. I recently purchased a 60CSx from Electronics HQs. Got a great price and fast, free shipping. Although the ad states it comes with a 64MB MicroSD card, mine actually came with a 128MB card.

Thanks,

Steve

This definitely not the norm, find a reputable company to deal with.

3 Strikes and THEY'RE OUT:

strike 1. Phone call just a way of trying to push batteries and charger on you at inflated prices.

strike 2. $30 warranty for what by who? - not needed with Garmin - excellent customer service

strike 3. "overseas" unit? sounds suspicious - buy unit for country you will be using it in.

I buy most all of my GPS items from "www.TheGPSstore" "The GPS Store" in Ocean Isle Beach, NC. You can order over the phone or by internet. They are an authorized Garmin dealer, have always shipped out the same day, will always stand behind what they tell you, and have matched prices of other Garmin authorized dealers if I've found the item for less from another authorized dealer. The GPS Store has earned my business not from what they say / advertise, but from what they do. There are a lot of other good reputable dealers out there where you won't have to be suspicious of their actions, just be sure to buy from an authorized Garmin dealer, in case you do encounter problems with the product.

I recently ordered a 60 Csx from Broadway Photo. I got an Email saying I had to call them to confirm my

I have no personal experience with this particular store, but this sounds a lot like common scam with cameras and many other expensive electronics. They'll advertise a great price, then tell you to call to confirm your order, verify your credit card, or whatever gets you on the phone. Then they'll hard-pressure you to buy a whole bunch of extras... warranties, cables, chargers, etc., many of which are actually included in the box from the manufacturer in the first place. In the end, you end up paying more than if you'd gone with a reputable dealer in the first place. Then, if you don't buy all the extra stuff, they'll sit on your order and not ship it. When you call they'll suddenly be back-ordered and eventually you'll cancel the order. They don't really want to sell you the product at that ultra-low price so if they can't get you on the extras, they want you to cancel.

Just look at the comments by their customers on resellerratings.com, where they have earned an amazingly low 1.0 out of 10 rating. If it were me, especially after reading those horror stories, I'd cancel my order immediately.

Not that it is a very good map but the overseas unit would also come with the wrong basemaps.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I cancelled my order and reordered from a reputable outfit!

I feel like I just avoided a "Cliff"!!!

Thanks again.

Edited by StephenNJ