Which units for both offroading and auto route?

DWPC

I haven't bought a GPS in several years and there are SO many now it would be a full time job to get familiar with them. Help and suggestions would be very appreciated. I'd like the following features:

- auto routing for normal driving

- point-to-point navigation and logging for offroading/trails

- ability to load my own maps on SD/microSD

- good size and bright display

- easy to move from car to car.

- it would be nice to be able to use my old Delorme Topo maps and not have to buy new software.

- under $400

The Magellan Crossover seemed to fill the bill, but gets a lot of mediocre reviews for performance.

Edited by DWPC

It has been a long time since Garmin released the Quest but it (along with the Quest 2) remains the only real choice for a good dual use GPSr. Many good hand-held models will autoroute, but they do not give voice prompts which are a minimum requirement for a suitable vehicle unit. None of the many excellent automotive models have the battery life, track-logging, waypoint entering capabilities needed for trail use.

I am amazed that neither Garmin nor anyone else has come forward with a successor to the line started by the GPS V and continued by the Quests. There must be a market for such a versitile device.