Padding your numbers

I enjoy caching. It gets me out of the house. I enjoy the creative caches and the finds. Don't get me wrong I like watching the numbers rack up as much as the next cacher. But I've noticed archived caches being logged as finds multilpe times.

If we are in it for the numbers that much why not just log finds out of the area and not search for them?

Does anyone else find this wrong?

If it is all about the numbers and they are cheating then the only person they are cheating is themselves.

As a newbie i double logged 2 finds trying to drop travel bugs (i now realise this can be done in a note) and last week i went back and edited the logs so that i could delete them to get my numbers to where they should be.

Turns out what i thought to be my 25th was actually my 23rd.

I have heard of Cache owners who delete logs if the name in not written in the log.

Each to their own. The game is supposed to be about the Hunt...

Happy Hunting

Ljay

I had been watching a cache earlier this summer that I had posted a DNF and a needs archived on. There were 3 individuals during that time period who posted finds going back to June 06 on the cache. Some may say they were padding their numbers on a cache that couldn't be found and would be archived. Who's to say that they weren't keeping their own log then realized later that they forgot to log one? In early September I went on a cache run. Went back up to the area last weekend and had one of those oops moments. I was here before. Sure enough I knew right where the cache was and when I opened it up there was my signature three up from the bottom. I just forgot to log it online. So, maybe from the outside looking in it may look like someone may be "padding" the numbers. They maybe at times. But, not always. If a cache owner thinks someone is they can always pull the log book and do an audit.

I enjoy caching. It gets me out of the house. I enjoy the creative caches and the finds. Don't get me wrong I like watching the numbers rack up as much as the next cacher. But I've noticed archived caches being logged as finds multilpe times.

If we are in it for the numbers that much why not just log finds out of the area and not search for them?

I am exempt from any criticism in this realm; my behavior and reputation in this area are flawless, as I only pad my numbers on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday, and I would never think of padding them on Saturday, as everyone knows that it is a sin, and also illegal, to do so on that day due to the edicts of the New World Order and also due to the sacred revelations dispensed to humankind by the Archangael Raphael, archangel of geocaching. Go now in peace.

This can be a problem for a person who stupidly does it. Suppose they go to some geo-get-together and are asked, "how many finds do you have so far?", and they say, "oh, 500". - They don't, really, and if, as time goes by, people in the area determine that this person who says they have 500 finds is one of those sorts of people who logs caches multiple times, or logs caches as found when they're not there to be found, or any of that sort of thing, that cacher's reputation is shot. They are considered a person who does not tell the truth. That is how they spoil things for themselves.

I have a job where I have to keep score. I have a hobby where I don't. I do audits on professional paperwork, NOT my GC log books. It's a game, a hobby, a sport. If you are that anal and THAT detail oriented contact me, I may have a job for you. But be advised, I'm being paid to look for issues there.

It's not like you win a prize or anything, so I don't get why people are dishonest. But I also don't really care. I geocache because it takes me to amazing places, and I log my finds and DNF's because it keeps a personal record I can review myself. I could care less why or how other people do it. My find count isn't anything to brag about, but I take pride in that it represents the actual number of times I have visited a cache and signed the logbook. Well, except for a couple of virtuals I did.

I used to pad my bra. Then I discovered goats. :)

Back OT-why do you care about anyone else's numbers? I don't care about yours, nor anyone else's. I don't care what you nor anyone else think about my numbers. The bogus logs (that you claim are bogus) are the responsibility of the cache owner.

I've been to events where you could log an attended if you saw someone go into the woods to relieve themselves. I have an Attended smiley for seeing a gal light a fart (yes, moonshine whiskey was involved), and would bet that most cachers don't have (or want!) one of those!

I logged them, it was fun. Great memories!

I was at an event where 80+ of us logged 187 attended logs each to set a "world record" (and to flood the Reviewer's inbox since we knew he was watching).

Hey, it was fun, and didn't affect your caching at all!

I never considered logging my finds online to be "fun". To me it's more of an obligation. Finding caches sure, that is a blast.

But do people really go into work the next day and tell their co-workers about the grand time they had that weekend in front of their PC? If so, to each their own I guess.

I've been to events where you could log an attended if you saw someone go into the woods to relieve themselves. I have an Attended smiley for seeing a gal light a fart (yes, moonshine whiskey was involved), and would bet that most cachers don't have (or want!) one of those!

I was at an event where 80+ of us logged 187 attended logs each to set a "world record" (and to flood the Reviewer's inbox since we knew he was watching).

Doesn't affect my caching, but it does affect my opinion of you and the events you go to... :)

Doesn't affect my caching, but it does affect my opinion of you and the events you go to... :)

I agree. It sounds more like a group of trouble-making kids amusing themselves than a group of responsible adults enjoying themselves.

Ed should know better, and does. Sad he chooses so poorly.

Edited by Cpt.Blackbeard

Yes I do. Someone logging archived caches they've never found, over and over, ain't right.

Don't let anyone tell you that 'anything goes' here.

What's the difference between logging an archived cache and logging a unarchived cache multiple times? or logging an event multiple times? Why do you draw the line on archived caches? What if my game involves me logging an archived cache multiple times... If the system allows it, then it's good to go, right?

Help me understand where the line is exactly...

Yes I do. Someone logging archived caches they've never found, over and over, ain't right.

What's the difference between logging an archived cache and logging a unarchived cache multiple times? or logging an event multiple times? Why do you draw the line on archived caches? What if my game involves me logging an archived cache multiple times... If the system allows it, then it's good to go, right?Help me understand where the line is exactly...

This is where I think people go wrong.

Many years ago I was stopped for driving 70MPH in a 55MPH zone. The officer let me go without a ticket. Using the logic of the number padders I could say that since TPTB (the officer) "ALLOWED" me to speed by not ticketing me, then that means that speeding is OK and I can continue to do it, after all, no other drivers were affected by my speeding, I was having "fun" and they are still free to drive 55 if they wish.

Reality though is that I was wrong, I learned from my mistake and I'm a much better driver today.

Padding numbers is wrong, whether on caches or events, and the fact that it's "allowed" for now doesn't make it right.

I agree. It sounds more like a group of trouble-making kids amusing themselves than a group of responsible adults enjoying themselves.

ROFL! I have fun, angst free outright uninhibited fun!

Some of the things I do may be poor choices for you, but they are just right for me! :)

If anyone wants to judge me or the events I attend by that, go for it. :P

Some of the things I do may be poor choices for you, but they are just right for me! :)

If anyone wants to judge me or the events I attend by that, go for it. :P

Yep, so do those kids who sprayt graffiti on everything and smash mail boxes with ballbats. They have a blast, just like you. You know better, and you should act better.

What's the difference between logging an archived cache and logging a unarchived cache multiple times? or logging an event multiple times? Why do you draw the line on archived caches? What if my game involves me logging an archived cache multiple times... If the system allows it, then it's good to go, right?

Help me understand where the line is exactly...

I really don't have the impression you need help understanding what I mean, but I would be happy to discuss the issue without the feint tactics.

I have my opinions about the proper procedure but of course I am limited to what gc.com currently enforces.

When I have a concern with a caching practice, I talk to the gc.com folks. Once they set the guidelines then it's a matter of enforcement. And yes, that's when it can get tricky.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Some of the things I do may be poor choices for you, but they are just right for me! :P

If anyone wants to judge me or the events I attend by that, go for it. :)

Yep, so do those kids who sprayt graffiti on everything and smash mail boxes with ballbats. They have a blast, just like you. You know better, and you should act better.

Interesting. I would bet the mods would smite me for saying such as that. First a cheat and now the equivalent of a criminal because I cache differently than you think I should? Wow!

Some of the things I do may be poor choices for you, but they are just right for me! :P

If anyone wants to judge me or the events I attend by that, go for it. :)

Interesting. I would bet the mods would smite me for saying such as that. First a cheat and now the equivalent of a criminal because I cache differently than you think I should? Wow!

Exagerate all you want ED, it doesn't change what's right and what's wrong.

I can't control how you act but I can state when I disagree with those actions and I will post comparisons in the hopes of changing your mind.

That's really the only thing I can do, I thought you liked discussion?

Edited by Cpt.Blackbeard

Exagerate all you want ED, it doesn't change what's right and what's wrong.

I can't control how you act but I can state when I disagree with those actions and I will post comparisons in the hopes of changing your mind.

That's really the only thing I can do, I thought you liked discussion?

I do like discussion, it's healthy for all of us. What I don't do is apply labels and insult the folks I don't agree with.

I may tell you how I cache, but I will never tell you how to cache.

Leave the judgmental attitude, angst and name-calling out and we can discuss anything! :)

Think about what you just posted Ed.

Are you thinking? Here's the clueL

I may tell you how I cache, but I will never tell you how to cache

Leave the judgmental attitude, angst and name-calling out and we can discuss anything!

You won't tell me how to cache, but you'll gladly tell me how to post.

See how hard it is to discuss anything without telling somebody how to do something? :)

I think that a number of us who have read this thread may have misunderstood what the OP was ranting about.

After reading his post through twice, I thought that he was saying that he has seen archived caches logged as finds on a number of occasions. Others understand his post to mean that he has noticed individual cachers who log multiple finds to the same archived cache.

If my understanding of the OP is correct, I see no evidence of a problem. Heck, I've accidently logged a few caches a couple of years after I visited them. By the time I got it done, some were archived. I've also found several caches that were archived by the time I logged online, even though I logged my finds within a few days of the visit.

If it is correct that the OP has witnessed individual cachers logging multiple finds on individual archived caches, it could certainly be evidence of cheating. In many cases, the cache owner is still active and can delete these duplicate logs, just the same as he would if the cache was active. It is only when the former cache owner is no longer active that this logging practice merit any concern.

Perhaps 2772 could weigh in and further explain what his problem is.

Edited by sbell111
I would bet the mods would smite me for saying such as that. First a cheat and now the equivalent of a criminal because I cache differently than you think I should? Wow!

It's a game of honor, with rules made intended to promote fair play and a reasonable assertion that statistics kept are the same for everyone—just like golf. If you choose to play golf by kicking the ball, taking a dozen mulligans and playing "gimmies" on every 10-foot putt, then that's your business. But then anyone else is also perfectly free to think anything we like about your lack of ethics and intent in "the spirit of the game." Don't complain when someone judges you by your actions.

I'll choose to play fair, by the rules, and keep my integrety and honor intact. And for nothing else to know that I play the game the way it waas originally intended—not to cheat the system because "it can be done."

I have a job where I have to keep score. I have a hobby where I don't. I do audits on professional paperwork, NOT my GC log books. It's a game, a hobby, a sport. If you are that anal and THAT detail oriented contact me, I may have a job for you. But be advised, I'm being paid to look for issues there.

Right-on Dude!!!

I would bet the mods would smite me for saying such as that. First a cheat and now the equivalent of a criminal because I cache differently than you think I should? Wow!
It's a game of honor, with rules made intended to promote fair play and a reasonable assertion that statistics kept are the same for everyone—just like golf. If you choose to play golf by kicking the ball, taking a dozen mulligans and playing "gimmies" on every 10-foot putt, then that's your business. But then anyone else is also perfectly free to think anything we like about your lack of ethics and intent in "the spirit of the game." Don't complain when someone judges you by your actions.

:laughing:

If me and a couple of my buddies go out and play a round of golf, we are not without honor if we all choose to take a few mulligans.

If we then go home and get out the Monopoly board, we aren't without ethics if we throw $500 into free parking.

Some people are taking the issue a tad too seriously. It's not a game of honor. It's a game of hide-and-go-seek. Either way, until the OP wanders back in and clarifies his issue, I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is.

Edited by sbell111

If me and a couple of my buddies go out and play a round of golf, we are not without honor if we all choose to take a few mulligans.

You are if you choose to brag about your scores after your rounds.

You're all well within your right to cheat the games and cheat yourselves however you want. I choose to play the game by the way it was intended.

Suit yourselves.

You're all well within your right to cheat the games and cheat yourselves however you want. I choose to play the game by the way it was intended.

Suit yourselves.

1) Who's bragging?

2) In what way is anyone playing that isn't the 'way that it was intended'? Who's cheating? How? Until the OP weighs in again, it would be probably best not to go around calling anyone a cheater. (Given the forum guidelines, it would probably be best not to do it afterwards, either.)

Edited by sbell111

People pad their find counts for their own reasons. Cheating or not, you're only doing yourself a disservice to fudge your own statistics (i.e. accepting "finds" for watching someone light thier own internal gasses). To me, I don't even know why anyone would bother participating in this hobby/sport/exercise.

I could care less what anyone else does with their find counts. But if someone is going to lie in their statistics, what's the point of even playing the game in the first place? Just go on a hike and be happy to be outdoors.

:D

Some of you guys are really amusing.

I think that a number of us who have read this thread may have misunderstood what the OP was ranting about.

After reading his post through twice, I thought that he was saying that he has seen archived caches logged as finds on a number of occasions. Others understand his post to mean that he has noticed individual cachers who log multiple finds to the same archived cache.

If my understanding of the OP is correct, I see no evidence of a problem. Heck, I've accidentally logged a few caches a couple of years after I visited them. By the time I got it done, some were archived. I've also found several caches that were archived by the time I logged online, even though I logged my finds within a few days of the visit.

If it is correct that the OP has witnessed individual cachers logging multiple finds on individual archived caches, it could certainly be evidence of cheating. In many cases, the cache owner is still active and can delete these duplicate logs, just the same as he would if the cache was active. It is only when the former cache owner is no longer active that this logging practice merit any concern.

Perhaps 2772 could weigh in and further explain what his problem is.

I see your point.

Why don't you ask one of your friendly offenders? When you do, please let us know what explaination(s) they have, will you? :D

:D

I agree. If sbell111 and his friends take mulligans and gimmes when playing a friendly game of golf that's their business but when they post it on the official Geocaching.com score board that upon3 is using to post the golf round he played according to the rules then the score board becomes useless for everyone. sbell111 might just post a round of 18 to show that he could play the lowest round possible and that might embarass upon3 who posted his honest round of 99. I just don't understand why people would lie about their game of golf. :laughing:

Of course if everyone were required to post a Truth In Numbers section in their profile we wouldn't have this problem.

You are if you choose to brag about your scores after your rounds. :D
I agree. If sbell111 and his friends take mulligans and gimmes when playing a friendly game of golf that's their business but when they post it on the official Geocaching.com score board that upon3 is using to post the golf round he played according to the rules then the score board becomes useless for everyone.
This is exactly right. Those practice round scorecards always go in the trash where they belong. :laughing:

I like to watch my numbers but, the fun is in the find! I actually noticed a recently published cache in my are that deals with just this subject. It is set up so no matter what you can't get a smiley for it. It seems to be set up as a test for people to see if the numbers really matter. Right now, I have a goal to reach 200 by the 1 year anniversary date of my twin daughter's deaths. So, in this instance the numbers do matter to me. Once I reach that goal, I will go on the hunt for that cache. :D

I like to watch my numbers but, the fun is in the find! I actually noticed a recently published cache in my are that deals with just this subject. It is set up so no matter what you can't get a smiley for it. It seems to be set up as a test for people to see if the numbers really matter. Right now, I have a goal to reach 200 by the 1 year anniversary date of my twin daughter's deaths. So, in this instance the numbers do matter to me. Once I reach that goal, I will go on the hunt for that cache. :D

What's the GCxxxxx # for that cache?

You are if you choose to brag about your scores after your rounds. :D
I agree. If sbell111 and his friends take mulligans and gimmes when playing a friendly game of golf that's their business but when they post it on the official Geocaching.com score board that upon3 is using to post the golf round he played according to the rules then the score board becomes useless for everyone.
This is exactly right. Those practice round scorecards always go in the trash where they belong. :laughing:

And there will alway be people to dig those practice round scorecards out of the trash to show that some lacks integrity.

If there were some way to enforce people who don't log every cache they found to log them, we could start talking about was to prevent people from logging caches they didn't find. We would also need some way to enforce verification that everyone who logs a find signed the log. Sure TPTB could set up the site so you could only collect one find per geocache (they could even set it up so that grandfathered moving caches could be logged multiple time, and reviewers could decide if there were other special caches that would be exempted so that wavevector could still find Brass Caps). But the find count would still be wrong because there are other ways to "cheat". I really wonder why some people don't accept certain variations on the game since there really isn't a competition here. In a golf tournament, there are referees and observers who enforce the rules. I guess in a friendly club tournament, there may be too few of these officials and a certain degree of honor play is assumed. But in the pros, where the big money is, no player could get away with cheating. Even an inadvertent breach of the rules results in a penalty. None of that takes place in geocaching. The cache owner is the arbiter of whether a find is valid and most people take a carefree attitude that this is really just about having fun. Rules invented by cachers on this forum because they make sense or seem proper are not the rules of geocaching.

One more story about golf rules: At a geocaching event we played Frisbee golf. We did not count each hole as a temporary cache nor the game itself - although someone had hidden a "permanent" cache listed on geocaching.com with parts of the coordinates hidden on several of the Frisbee golf baskets. We played that each threesome or foursome was a team and the best team score wins. But the organizers didn't not say what the team score was. Our team played closest disc. I think the other teams played low score on each hole. So of course our team one first prize because the rules were not spelled out. Each of us on the team got a nice trophy. I got two trophies since in addition to being on the winning team, I also got the worst individual round as the only golfer to loose their Frisbee in the lake.

You are if you choose to brag about your scores after your rounds. :laughing:
This is exactly right. Those practice round scorecards always go in the trash where they belong. :D

And there will alway be people to dig those practice round scorecards out of the trash to show that some lacks integrity.

If there were some way to enforce people who don't log every cache they found to log them, we could start talking about was to prevent people from logging caches they didn't find. We would also need some way to enforce verification that everyone who logs a find signed the log. Sure TPTB could set up the site so you could only collect one find per geocache (they could even set it up so that grandfathered moving caches could be logged multiple time, and reviewers could decide if there were other special caches that would be exempted so that wavevector could still find Brass Caps). But the find count would still be wrong because there are other ways to "cheat". I really wonder why some people don't accept certain variations on the game since there really isn't a competition here. In a golf tournament, there are referees and observers who enforce the rules. I guess in a friendly club tournament, there may be too few of these officials and a certain degree of honor play is assumed. But in the pros, where the big money is, no player could get away with cheating. Even an inadvertent breach of the rules results in a penalty. None of that takes place in geocaching. The cache owner is the arbiter of whether a find is valid and most people take a carefree attitude that this is really just about having fun. Rules invented by cachers on this forum because they make sense or seem proper are not the rules of geocaching.

One more story about golf rules: At a geocaching event we played Frisbee golf. We did not count each hole as a temporary cache nor the game itself - although someone had hidden a "permanent" cache listed on geocaching.com with parts of the coordinates hidden on several of the Frisbee golf baskets. We played that each threesome or foursome was a team and the best team score wins. But the organizers didn't not say what the team score was. Our team played closest disc. I think the other teams played low score on each hole. So of course our team one first prize because the rules were not spelled out. Each of us on the team got a nice trophy. I got two trophies since in addition to being on the winning team, I also got the worst individual round as the only golfer to loose their Frisbee in the lake.

What is cool is that you'll always remember the frisbee in the lake :laughing: but you've probably already forgotten your score. Scores mean nothing. It's all about the fun times. So when people try to pump up their scores to make the score the focus, they have totally lost sight of the real fun. :laughing: Edited by TrailGators

...Does anyone else find this wrong?

When it comes to padding your numbers I think silicone is cheating. I can't say it's wrong, but it's definityly not right.

Cache finds, are much the same. There are some things that are not wrong, but which are not realy right either (logging event caches) and some things that are flat out wrong like logging caches you haven't found.

Just frown on the behaviors you don't like when the chance comes up.

Status in Geocaching rides on reputation, not find count. Some cachers don't catch onto this until it's too late and they've already destroyed their reputation by inflating their find count.

When I exchange email with other cachers or attend events, I'm always amazed at how much everyone knows about everyone else's caching activity and style. No small shortcut goes unobserved, and the gossip about 'cheaters' can be brutal.

Status in Geocaching rides on reputation, not find count. Some cachers don't catch onto this until it's too late and they've already destroyed their reputation by inflating their find count.

When I exchange email with other cachers or attend events, I'm always amazed at how much everyone knows about everyone else's caching activity and style. No small shortcut goes unobserved, and the gossip about 'cheaters' can be brutal.

Exactly! I don't think you could have said it any better!

I have logged an archived cache, but...

It was a puzzle in a neighboring state.

I go to events in that state every month.

I had solved it the prior month but had no time to find it.

So I went there the following month.

Found the cache.

Mentioned finding it to the cache owner at that event. (Yes everyone knows everyone else...)

Discovered that he had archived it but not gone to recover the container and log book.

Was told it was OK to log it.

I wish I knew ahead of time, I could have brought him his log book, I might have kept the container (ha).

He had archived a bunch of his caches to open a fully populated area to other cache hiders. (topic of another fourm post)

Well said! You are what you do! :laughing:

I'm coming in a little late on this one, but my opinion hasn't changed. When we first started this game, we were headed out to Missouri and I was researching some caches. I came to find that the owner of several caches would log a find on his own caches (this was also my introduction to the beloved nano). How can you claim a find on your own cache? Multiple times he would do this. It bothered me that this guy would lack the integrity to post a note when he did maintenance or drop a TB instead of logging a find. Well, I soon got over it, and you should too. This thread has a common theme with many others dealing with integrity in this game. You'll hear time and time again that you can play the game as you like to. Personally I find this to be cheating, despite there being no trophy or other prize to claim.

In the end, if you have noticed this going on, then so have others. It's not something I'd like to be known for, it ranks right up there with watching chicks light farts. :laughing:

I like to watch my numbers but, the fun is in the find! I actually noticed a recently published cache in my are that deals with just this subject. It is set up so no matter what you can't get a smiley for it. It seems to be set up as a test for people to see if the numbers really matter. Right now, I have a goal to reach 200 by the 1 year anniversary date of my twin daughter's deaths. So, in this instance the numbers do matter to me. Once I reach that goal, I will go on the hunt for that cache. :laughing:

What's the GCxxxxx # for that cache?

It's GC163Y4 Ignore this cache now!