New to the forum

Barkoff

I found this forum doing some research on a new GPS. Where I'm not sure what the GeoCaching is all about, you guys seem pretty savvy on the subject of GPSs

I bought the Etrex Vista HCx, upgrading form my old Garmin 45.

The old 45 is a real tank compared to this etrex. After reading some of the posts here, I'm pleased that my unit isn't showing any of the problems written about, the WAAS is showing enabled every time I turn the unit on.

I'm a little confused as to which way I should go with charts, the chip or the CDs?

I'm guessing that one can buy a blank chip and load the CD info, or buy the preloaded chips, which is the preferred choice?

Does anyone know a good place for buying the blank chips, how do I know which type of disk I should buy?

One thing I'll miss with the the 45 is the basic information pages, seemed like more info on less pages, but that HCx absolutely smokes the old 45 in finding sats, both in speed and signal strength.

So can any give some advice on map and chip purchases?

Thank you.

if you buy the chips you can only use the maps on the GPS.

if you buy the CD's. all the maps are usable on your computer and the GPS.

The most up-to-date maps are on DVD's, not CD's. I agree, get the maps on DVD so you have them to view and plan routes on your PC (unless you have a Mac :D).

One advantage of the microSD cards vs the DVD is that you can use the purchased microSD card on any GPSr that you want. So, if you decide next year to upgrade to a different model, the card will work. On the other hand, the DVD maps need to be unlocked for a specific GPSr and can then only be used on that one.

One advantage of the DVD is that you can get map updates from Garmin.

I also have the Vista HCx and purchased the City Navigator maps (on DVD) so I can have the maps on my computers (desktop and laptop) and on my GPSr. I also purchased Topo maps. You can switch between the maps on the GPSr, depending on whether you are driving, and want the auto-routing feature, or are hiking and want to see the contour lines.

You might get a better deal on the maps in a combo package with the beanbag auto-mount and cigarette lighter adapter, two things you are likely to want for it. I paid about $145.00 for everything.

The Topo maps you can get on eBay. They sell for reasonable prices, although you might not see the latest Topo version there.

I also have the Vista HCx and purchased the City Navigator maps (on DVD) so I can have the maps on my computers (desktop and laptop) and on my GPSr. I also purchased Topo maps. You can switch between the maps on the GPSr, depending on whether you are driving, and want the auto-routing feature, or are hiking and want to see the contour lines.

You might get a better deal on the maps in a combo package with the beanbag auto-mount and cigarette lighter adapter, two things you are likely to want for it. I paid about $145.00 for everything.

The Topo maps you can get on eBay. They sell for reasonable prices, although you might not see the latest Topo version there.

So you were able to get the road map DVD and the Topo for $145, that isn't bad. Any suggestions on a shopping website? I like the idea of being able to switch from the atlas to the topo without having to switch cards.

Regarding Garmin, are you saying that if you buy one of their DVDs for your GPS, and then a couple of years later you buy a new DVD, the software wont work on the new GPS unit? Man, that's pretty rough, most software you are allowed to move it around to a few different computers so long as the computers are owned by the same owner. I would think if you buy Garmin software you should be able to use it on any Garmin unit you own.

Am I understanding that right? I might have to fire off a letter to Garmin if they are getting that stingy. Last letter I fired off to Garmin I ended up having a VIP call my at home on a Saturday. :D

Regarding Garmin, are you saying that if you buy one of their DVDs for your GPS, and then a couple of years later you buy a new DVD, the software wont work on the new GPS unit? Man, that's pretty rough, most software you are allowed to move it around to a few different computers so long as the computers are owned by the same owner. I would think if you buy Garmin software you should be able to use it on any Garmin unit you own.

Am I understanding that right? I might have to fire off a letter to Garmin if they are getting that stingy. Last letter I fired off to Garmin I ended up having a VIP call my at home on a Saturday. :D

If you buy a DVD and activate it for a GPSr, and then later buy a new GPSr, you will not be able to use the maps on the new GPSr. Garmin does this to try to prevent the (apparently rampant) sharing of map software among GPRr owners. I understand why they do it, but their maps are so dang expensive there really should be a way to continue to use them if you buy a new GPSr.

If you buy a DVD and activate it for a GPSr, and then later buy a new GPSr, you will not be able to use the maps on the new GPSr. Garmin does this to try to prevent the (apparently rampant) sharing of map software among GPRr owners. I understand why they do it, but their maps are so dang expensive there really should be a way to continue to use them if you buy a new GPSr.

Wow, that is a rough policy, liken to Microsoft saying if you buy MS Office and then buy a new Dell, you must then buy a new version of Office.

I think I'll call Garmin and question that policy. I have always got by with lats & lons & a topo, might have to stay with that.

Regarding a Micro SD card, is SD a type of card, or a brand? Do I need any micro storage card, or a SD Micro card?

This new stuff is confusing.

Wow, that is a rough policy, liken to Microsoft saying if you buy MS Office and then buy a new Dell, you must then buy a new version of Office.

I think I'll call Garmin and question that policy. I have always got by with lats & lons & a topo, might have to stay with that.

Regarding a Micro SD card, is SD a type of card, or a brand? Do I need any micro storage card, or a SD Micro card?

This new stuff is confusing.

Um, you can just call Garmin and get a new unlock code for the new unit. Not a big deal takes 5 minutes.

Um, you can just call Garmin and get a new unlock code for the new unit. Not a big deal takes 5 minutes.

Ok, the following threw me off.

"If you buy a DVD and activate it for a GPSr, and then later buy a new GPSr, you will not be able to use the maps on the new GPSr. Garmin does this to try to prevent the (apparently rampant) sharing of map software among GPRr owners. I understand why they do it, but their maps are so dang expensive there really should be a way to continue to use them if you buy a new GPSr."

5 minutes and $75. Prior to the City Navigator 2008 version, the software came with two unlock codes. Not any longer. Topo 2008 is not locked and can be used on a new unit.

Edited by Klatch

Barkoff,

Micro SD is a size, not a brand. Search Amazon.com or Newegg.com for "micro SD". I bought one with an adapter for an SD slot (as opposed to micro sd which is what the GPSr is looking for). Seems like I paid $25 for a 2GB micro SD and the adapter together. Kingston is a good brand as is Crucial or PNY.

You can switch between the maps on the GPSr, depending on whether you are driving, and want the auto-routing feature, or are hiking and want to see the contour lines.

So you can load two different DVD programs on one SD card?

I just bought a Legend HCx and could not find the answer to that question anywhere I looked.

Doug

When you install the maps to your computer, you will have a drop down list in the Mapsource program where you choose which map you want to view. You can look at City Navigator, or Topo, or Metroguide, or . . .

When loading the maps to your GPSr, you choose map segments from one map, then using the drop down list, select another map type and choose map segments from that map.

You send all the segments to the GPSr at the same time. On the GPSr, you can choose to Show, or Hide, the different maps from the Menu on the Map Page.

One advantage of the microSD cards vs the DVD is that you can use the purchased microSD card on any GPSr that you want. So, if you decide next year to upgrade to a different model, the card will work. On the other hand, the DVD maps need to be unlocked for a specific GPSr and can then only be used on that one.

One advantage of the DVD is that you can get map updates from Garmin.

That's true of the city navigation maps, but not the topos. They don't require unlocking.