Frustrations!

kb1hwh

There are really three things here. Allow me to vent my frustrations:

#1) Cache owners who don't maintain their caches. I've been to two where more than one person has indicated that part of the cache is in bad shape, yet NOTHING is done to clean it up. I understand were all busy with busy lives, but 30 days with no fix isn't good.

#2) The inventory is listed... but there is nothing there. On four seperate occasions I have gone to a cache that is listed as having bugs, coins, etc... only to find the mentioned merchandise is not there. Are people just not logging their pick up of the items? Some caches are in absolutley outstanding locations, really pretty ones, and those, the bonus is seeing the area. Some are in the middle of the woods. I love the woods as much as the next guy, but if I am hiking to specifically grab/exchange, then I am obviously going to be disappointed the items listed arent there (This goes along with the loss art of logging below).

#3) People who TAKE but don't GIVE. If you TAKE a TRACKABLE item from a cache, LEAVE A TRACKABLE ITEM IN THE CACHE. Don't the rules say to trade even, up, or not at all? I was planning on visiting this one cache in Rochester that the guy who last logged it, said, and I quote "Took bugs, signed log". That's right, he took BOTH bugs, and didn't leave anything in return. (Would I be out of line to email him and say "hey what gives?")

The items in these caches I think of as little prizes for doing the work to go seek something at a beautiflul location. If people are going to keep on doing this, maybe it will be time to just visit the beautful places the caches are located without actually hunting for the cache! (Naturally I wouldn't do that... but I am just saying).

Im sure these have been repeated over and over again in here, but being a newer person to this sport, I find it a little disheartening.

#1 - best thing to do is bring a cache repair kit with your and do a little TLC - one great way to give n=back.

#2 - yup - it happens. About 50% of my Travel Bugs have disappeared. Some came back some didn't. I learned long ago to be excited about those that work and forget about the others. Life is too short to worry.

#3 Travel Bugs ARE NOT trade items. They are owned items meant to move along. Anybody that can help them move should do it. No need to trade anything for a TB. DO a bit of forum searching and you will see that is the agreed upon stance by most.

<snip>

Im sure these have been repeated over and over again in here, but being a newer person to this sport, I find it a little disheartening.

1) I agree...maintaine your cache, disable it, archive it or adopt it out

2) Some people pick up these items on vacation and may be a few days in logging them. Unfortunately this is a fact of life that not everyone has logging capabilities on the road. However, sometimes they are just missing...taken and not logged and that is frustrating.

3) Trackable items are NOT trade items and therefore do not follow the Trade up, trade even rule. These are meant to move from cache to cache and should not have to rely on waiting for someone who actually trades (you would be surprised at the number of cachers who do it for fun, not trades). And yes, they can take all the bugs as long as they are going to move them, regardless of what their trade was...sorry that is just how it goes.

Don't let it dishearten you yet, a few bad apples and a few bad caches are not the norm. Get out there, get some great finds and you may soon find yourself part of the crowd that takes nothing but the experience. have fun!

edit: apparently star types faster than me LOL but can read my mind since our replies are nearly identical

Edited by ohgrl

#3) People who TAKE but don't GIVE. If you TAKE a TRACKABLE item from a cache, LEAVE A TRACKABLE ITEM IN THE CACHE. Don't the rules say to trade even, up, or not at all? I was planning on visiting this one cache in Rochester that the guy who last logged it, said, and I quote "Took bugs, signed log". That's right, he took BOTH bugs, and didn't leave anything in return. (Would I be out of line to email him and say "hey what gives?")

You'll pretty much get zero support in these forums for #3. :sad: Yes, you'd surely be out of line to email him about that. Consensus is TB's are meant to travel, and are not trade items. As far as No. 1 (which I didn't quote), yes, people love to place and find caches, but maintaining them doesn't seem to be too high of a priority for most. Excuse me while I fix that cache that has been disabled for 6 weeks (as soon as I get up in the morning). ;)

#1. I've got caches I haven't maintained but at least I temporarily disable them until I head back in that direction.

#2. Newcomers to the sport don't always know how to handle a travel bug and sometimes keep them. As for the coins and jeeps, I think some folks actually collect them. I've heard of one cacher that had multiple yellow, white, and green jeep tbs and probably now has a number of red jeep tbs too.

#3. TBs travel. That is their purpose. While I may not trade anything in a cache, I will take a TB and drop it usually as soon as I find another good cache, sometimes in the same day. I used to discover quite a few but now feel the TBs want to travel, not just be seen. So I move them any chance I can. My goal is to not have any in my possession except the ones I've purchased or special coins I've been awarded for certain achievements.

I will admit about #3 though.......

If I find a coin with a unique and cool icon, or if I find an official 'JEEP' tb, I will hang on to it until I find a special cache, usually a particularly exceptional cache. A little more difficult but worth the trip and worth leaving a special 'prize' for the next to find, sometimes just a little encentive to make someone else go the extra mile just to find the tb. That way I feel the tbs won't quickly disappear in an easily muggled cache.

#3) People who TAKE but don't GIVE. If you TAKE a TRACKABLE item from a cache, LEAVE A TRACKABLE ITEM IN THE CACHE.

I totally disagree with this. The point of trackables is to travel and if you can help it on its way, you should.

As trackable owner I'd hate for someone who can help my trackable move towards its goal leave it in a cache because he didn't have one to trade.

#1) Cache owners who don't maintain their caches. I've been to two where more than one person has indicated that part of the cache is in bad shape, yet NOTHING is done to clean it up. I understand were all busy with busy lives, but 30 days with no fix isn't good.

#2) The inventory is listed... but there is nothing there. On four seperate occasions I have gone to a cache that is listed as having bugs, coins, etc... only to find the mentioned merchandise is not there. Are people just not logging their pick up of the items? Some caches are in absolutley outstanding locations, really pretty ones, and those, the bonus is seeing the area. Some are in the middle of the woods. I love the woods as much as the next guy, but if I am hiking to specifically grab/exchange, then I am obviously going to be disappointed the items listed arent there (This goes along with the loss art of logging below).

The items in these caches I think of as little prizes for doing the work to go seek something at a beautiflul location. If people are going to keep on doing this, maybe it will be time to just visit the beautful places the caches are located without actually hunting for the cache! (Naturally I wouldn't do that... but I am just saying).

My replies are as follows:

#1) Why not do what I do on 90% of my cache hunting trips, and carry a cache maintenance kit? I have replaced numerous logbooks (more accurately, added a new logbook, leaving the full one in place for the owner to retrieve), cracked containers, pens, etc. In this way, you are becoming an ACTIVE and reciprocal member of the geocaching community, and are giving back to the community; in other words, you will have started to become a supporting member of the community, thus expressing your gratitude and appreciation to the community. And, speaking of supporting (i.e., giving back to) the geocaching community, I notice that you have been caching for several years and do not yet own any hides of your own. Since you are not giving back to the community by hiding caches, perhaps it might sound reasonable to you that the least that you could do to support your community might be to carry a well-stocked cache maintenance kit while on your cache hunting runs.

#2) Most swag (i.e., trade item) inventories which appear on cache listing pages were entered when the cache was first created. And, even trackable inventories which appear on cache listing pages -- which theoretically ARE kept updated -- are often hopelessly inaccurate, because people forget to log movement of trackables, some folks steal them, or people mess up the tracking number, thus entering data for the wrong trackable on the wrong page. And, for swag (trade items), many geocachers trade down rather than trade up; that is just a fact of life... Thus, for any cache over a month old the actual inventory of the cache is BOUND to be far different from what will appear on the cache listing page, but for very good and reasonable reasons. And, since your complaint seemed to be focused mostly on trackables rather than swag (i.e., trade items), well, there seems to be a growing trend in the geo world for trackables to go missing rather quickly, that is, to disappear from the face of the earth.

#3) You are simply mistaken here. There is no trade rule for trackables, and in fact, the rule is to move them along quickly and expediently. In fact, there have been some caches, notably some "TB Hotels" which have tried to enact rules where a finder must "trade" trackables, that is, leave one for every one that they take. Such caches are widely viewed as travel bug prisons, and in such cases, local cachers will often stage raids upon such prisons to liberate the poor lonely prisoners and get them moving again.

In any case, personally, I NEVER seek a cache for the swag or the trackables (in fact, I am allergic to trackables and, as many here know already. I belong to small fundamentalist religion which believes that "trackables" are Satanic tools designed to allow Satan to steal our souls and are also larval spawn of space aliens whose goal is to infect finders, turning them into shapshifter minions of the aliens and their vast conspiracy to take over our planet and institute the dreaded New World Order), and rather, I hunt caches for the fun of hunt, the hike and the places that the cache hunt takes me.

You know, a lot of your experience in life depends upon how you choose to react to external events and circumstances. You do have a choice. You can continue to be unhappy and find lots of things to complain about, or you can choose to be happy and to appreciate all the caches out there and the great community of people who place them! I note that you are a ham radio operator; I used to be a licensed ham as well, and much of what I just wrote about geocaching is also true of the world of ham radio: you can choose to find things to complain about, or you can choose to be happy and appreciative and to give back to your community.

Oh believe me, I am very happy with the sport. I am enjoying it to no end. I like the cache maintenance idea. Ill see if we have a laminator at work and replace those smeared coordinates I mentioned at that nearby cache. (I would go back to that little park any day, anyways so its a good excuse!)

I have a few to quickly grab while out in Western New York state, going to drop some coinage out there, and see some interesting places.

I often clean up caches but not every time - new ziplocks, sharpen the Pencil, get out the Wet ones, replace the pen, tape the hole, above all report the condition to the owner and remove junk and throw it away in the next dumpster. Add meaningful trade items and blast those who don't.

My biggest complaint is the growing number of pointless locations and finds that are way to easy. The only pile of rocks in the middle of nowhere else to hide is a bit ridiculas. Here is a pointless place in the woods - I will just put one here. Hey it is a hunt - give me more than one place. I also want to hike and find myself ignoring the park and reach caches. 100 yards don't get it. Just a spot with nothing else around bores me.

We all can help by keeping the caches in order and if the owner will not do it and it's a good idea cache. Jump on it and help out. You will have made a contribution. True the owner should be checking, but the sooner the problem is fixed the better the game gets. I like knowing I helped make it better. Sometimes I can fix it faster than an owner can, even if it is a trip back to the cache. I inform them and usually get thanked for it.

Edited by GPS-Hermit

We find it is best to go to a cache without any real expectations of finding any kind of tb's or coins. As a matter of fact when we go caching we have no real idea of what to expect in the cache at all. I don't bother to look up a tb or coin in it because more than likely it will be gone by the time we get there anyway. We go for either the scenery, to get that cache off our list, and to just have fun finding it. If we happen to find coins or bugs in it, then that makes it a whole lot better. As for the maintaining of caches, if we can help clean it up some, we do it.

#3) You are simply mistaken here. There is no trade rule for trackables, and in fact, the rule is to move them along quickly and expediently. In fact, there have been some caches, notably some "TB Hotels" which have tried to enact rules where a finder must "trade" trackables, that is, leave one for every one that they take. Such caches are widely viewed as travel bug prisons, and in such cases, local cachers will often stage raids upon such prisons to liberate the poor lonely prisoners and get them moving again.

Exactly! Last month I rescued seven TBs from a TB hotel. Some had been there a LOOOONG time. Some of the ones I left behind are still there.

So, if you see a TB Hotel with rules about "Take a bug, Leave a bug", IGNORE the rules as long as you will help the bugs along. This is especially true if the logs are few and far between. The TB Hotel owner has no ownership rights over the TBs therein, and has no right to stipulate trading rules. I would hate for my travelers to be stuck. On the other hand, if the logs show a lot of activity, then you may want to limit how many you take since others will be heading to the TB hotel for the same reason you did. It all matters on the circumstances.

Oh believe me, I am very happy with the sport. I am enjoying it to no end. I like the cache maintenance idea. Ill see if we have a laminator at work and replace those smeared coordinates I mentioned at that nearby cache. (I would go back to that little park any day, anyways so its a good excuse!)

I have a few to quickly grab while out in Western New York state, going to drop some coinage out there, and see some interesting places.

You don't mean to imply that you aren't concerned about "space aliens", do you? You ARE concerned about them.....arent'you? I am. :D

I am fairly new to the Geocaching and about to hide my first cache and first TB. From what I have been reading about TBs is that the owner has to be active if he/she expects them to keep moving. Look at the logs and see if anyone says they took it. They may not have logged them on GC.com yet just logged the find. I emailed a guy through GC.com about a TB that I didn't even own. I saw the cache had a TB but didn't find it when I got there. He was going to look check on it.

The whole TB is kind left up to chance. You have to accept the fact it may be gone as soon as you leave it. Not everyone follows the rules.

My .02,

Steven

I see you've already changed your stance on #3. Good for you for keeping an open mind and taking some feedback on the topic!

The items in these caches I think of as little prizes for doing the work to go seek something at a beautiflul location.

I think if you start thinking of the spot and just being outdoors as the prize, then everything else becomes gravy. It sounds simple, but it is a mindshift.

Exactly! Last month I rescued seven TBs from a TB hotel. Some had been there a LOOOONG time. Some of the ones I left behind are still there.

On behalf of coin/TB owners everywhere: THANK YOU

I am frustrated with the lack of consistency in the fruit and juice market.

If raisins are dried grapes, and prunes are dried plums, then why is it possible to buy prune juice and grape juice, but not plum juice nor raisin juice? :laughing:

I'm also frustrated that there doesn't seem to be any good threads about goats in the forums any more. :laughing:

I am fairly new to the Geocaching and about to hide my first cache and first TB. From what I have been reading about TBs is that the owner has to be active if he/she expects them to keep moving. Look at the logs and see if anyone says they took it. They may not have logged them on GC.com yet just logged the find. I emailed a guy through GC.com about a TB that I didn't even own. I saw the cache had a TB but didn't find it when I got there. He was going to look check on it.

The whole TB is kind left up to chance. You have to accept the fact it may be gone as soon as you leave it. Not everyone follows the rules.

My .02,

Steven

I picked up a few TB's while in Tenn, and didnt get them logged for 2 days, so if someone went there looking for that TB it was gone and in my possion. I just had a traveler that was at one of my caches 3 days ago and didnt log till this afternoon. And some times I leave travel bugs or tag and didnt get back home quick enough and they were grabbed . But I have no problem with that just as long as they keep moving. And I grabbed others by mistake not knowing they were going to log them to another cache but i usually wait a few days now befor I do that, it gives them time to log it to the cache I found it in. And I email some and ask them if they are going to log it , their reply is oh gee I forgot thanks . So I guess you just go with the flow and do what ya think is right. USA 45

Edited by USA 45

I am frustrated with the lack of consistency in the fruit and juice market.

If raisins are dried grapes, and prunes are dried plums, then why is it possible to buy prune juice and grape juice, but not plum juice nor raisin juice? :unsure:

I'm also frustrated that there doesn't seem to be any good threads about goats in the forums any more. :o

Don't worry Vinny will fine some. USA 45

Edited by USA 45

My biggest frustration is this, as follows:

About a week ago, I woke up one morning to discover that I had lost the ability to bilocate (that is, to be in two places at once, and also the ability to translocate (that is, to instantly be transported to any place in the universe that I choose) and that I had also lost the ability to levitate. Sad. I am hoping that the loss is temporary and that these abilities will return in short order.

About a week ago, I woke up one morning to discover that I had lost the ability to bilocate (that is, to be in two places at once, and also the ability to translocate (that is, to instantly be transported to any place in the universe that I choose) and that I had also lost the ability to levitate. Sad. I am hoping that the loss is temporary and that these abilities will return in short order.

I think you already know why we took your powers away from you... :blink:

........... each from a secret sub-agency of the NSA, warning me that I should cease and desist from talking openly and publicly on these forums about their half-human/half-reptoid reptilian agents -- sometimes known as the Men in Black and their visits to my home in the course of their attempts to intimidate me.....

:blink:

I think you already know why we took your powers away from you... :blink:

........... each from a secret sub-agency of the NSA, warning me that I should cease and desist from talking openly and publicly on these forums about their half-human/half-reptoid reptilian agents -- sometimes known as the Men in Black and their visits to my home in the course of their attempts to intimidate me.....

:D

:blink: a big hand for that man in black up there in the sky..... forever a fan of the man...... D.E. Sr

So, if you see a TB Hotel with rules about "Take a bug, Leave a bug", IGNORE the rules as long as you will help the bugs along. This is especially true if the logs are few and far between. The TB Hotel owner has no ownership rights over the TBs therein, and has no right to stipulate trading rules. I would hate for my travelers to be stuck. On the other hand, if the logs show a lot of activity, then you may want to limit how many you take since others will be heading to the TB hotel for the same reason you did. It all matters on the circumstances.

I plan to purchase a couple bugs and plant them. As an owner I will be highly irate if I'd find that one of the bugs landed in a situation like the above.

Sounds like something a cache owner would do simply to keep a consistant lure for folks to visit the cache.

I won't repeat what's been said, but will add:

MOST of the caches I've found that are in disrepair were hidden by Mayfly cachers, who joined long enough to find a dozen caches and hide a couple, then disappeared.

If a cache is in bad shape, I will perform what maintenance I can except when I've noticed a Needs Maintenance log on the cache page for a while, AND it appears that the owner hasn't logged on to the site in many months. In that case, I would post a "Needs Archived" log rather than help the poor thing limp along, continually damp with cachers adding little signed slips of paper every time they visit...

As for inventory, I had a strange thing happen. I made a maintenance run on my caches a few weeks ago, and marked a TB as "missing" to bring the inventory up to speed. Two days later, the owner moved it back into my cache inventory. I have no idea why. I just noticed, and marked it missing a second time. So...my inventory is out of date on occasion, though I do try to keep it accurate.

Cache owners who make one or two maintenance runs in a year might not mark trackables missing until they've looked for themselves, so...

my frustrating is when i go to hunt down tb they are never where they are to be....

My frustration is with people who resurrect 5-year-old threads.

:rolleyes:

My frustration is that I was like the 3rd or 4th post to this thread 6 years ago. Didn't I then, I don't I still, have anything better to do? :ph34r:

By the way, are there still people out there who think you should (or have to) leave a travel bug if you take one? :blink:

By the way, are there still people out there who think you should (or have to) leave a travel bug if you take one? :blink:

There are still cache owners who try to run or create TB prisons.

Yep. An old fart who still reads cache pages, seen some.

If it's a cache I'll go to, I'll grab as many as I think can move.

Prisons are the few times I bother with the things anymore.

- To have a stack of "Get out of jail free" cards and leave one behind would be fun... :lol:

When a cache gets neglected like this, check the owner's profile. I've discovered that, more often than not, the CO hasn't logged onto the site in a very long time. A few that I've found haven't come by in over a year. When I see this, I will note it in the logs and I've had a couple archived because of this neglect. If I ever decide to quit this site, I'll be sure to either archive or transfer my caches to other folks.

#1 - best thing to do is bring a cache repair kit with your and do a little TLC - one great way to give n=back.

#2 - yup - it happens. About 50% of my Travel Bugs have disappeared. Some came back some didn't. I learned long ago to be excited about those that work and forget about the others. Life is too short to worry.

#3 Travel Bugs ARE NOT trade items. They are owned items meant to move along. Anybody that can help them move should do it. No need to trade anything for a TB. DO a bit of forum searching and you will see that is the agreed upon stance by most.

+1, to the point and correct.

When a cache gets neglected like this, check the owner's profile. I've discovered that, more often than not, the CO hasn't logged onto the site in a very long time. A few that I've found haven't come by in over a year. When I see this, I will note it in the logs and I've had a couple archived because of this neglect. If I ever decide to quit this site, I'll be sure to either archive or transfer my caches to other folks.

Just FYI. Most times, the "last visit" date on the profile page is correct. However, the date does not update when someone logs from an app so it is not always accurate.

#1) I too get frustrated with CO's not maintaining their caches. I see multiple problems with this. 1) Hiding more caches than you can possibly maintain. If you can't maintain it, don't hide it! 2) CO's moving out of the area, and not requesting anyone adopt their cache 3) CO's that quit geocaching, or 4) just being lazy.

Here's what I do now:

For a cache that I haven't been able to find that seems to be missing (due to multiple log posts with DNFs and multiple cachers stating that it appears to be missing):

1) After posting my own DNF after my search (yes I post DNFs), post a 'Needs Maintenance' log.

2) Check the CO's profile page. If they haven't logged a find in years, they're not caching anymore and the cache will probably never get attention.

3) After some period of no CO intervention, send them a nicely worded email via their profile page, asking them to check on the cache.

4) If I get no response, then I log it as 'Needs Archived'. Then the reviewer gets involved at that point.

I also carry extra logs and baggies with me on my hunts. I try to be a nice cacher and replace logs and baggies when I see the need. This can keep some caches going for years even when the CO is MIA.

Edited by DaculaGuys

I kinda dig these old threads. I think it's kinda kewl that, way back then, these things were rare enough that encountering them led to frustration. Now, it's so common that many of us have become numb to it. Not maintaining caches? Heck, I know some numbers hiders, (I call 'em carpet bombers), who hide with absolutely no intent of ever going back. Finding a cache in need of some TLC is so common that all it rates from me these days is an eye roll, a NM, or an NA, depending on circumstances. Missing bugs/coins still showing as being in the cache? At least locally, that's more the standard than the exception. Doesn't even get an eye roll. Just a note to the bug owner that it's not there. Take a bug / Leave a bug? I used to believe this, when I first started. Someone set me straight fairly early on. Since then, I treat bugs/coins as things to move, when I can, regardless of if I have any trackables to trade.

#1) I too get frustrated with CO's not maintaining their caches. I see multiple problems with this. 1) Hiding more caches than you can possibly maintain. If you can't maintain it, don't hide it! 2) CO's moving out of the area, and not requesting anyone adopt their cache 3) CO's that quit geocaching, or 4) just being lazy.

Yes, lack of cache owner maintenance is certainly one of my frustrations too. No one likes to find broken/rusted/cracked containers with wet & soggy items in them. (Yuck!) Sadly, there are cache owners out there that aren't very conscientious about maintenance and it's really a detriment to the game. I also have to agree that if people can't maintain what they place, the best thing to do is archive them or adopt them out.

Frustration told someone there container was the broken for a year finally one day they decide to change it they change it to the same container they used that broke so my buddy just donated one for them a nice one.

I even asked to adopt it so now I just watch it since its close by