Virtual

I've seen a few of theses. They are usally just password protected ms word documents.

To put a password on a word document:

Click on tools on the top

In the drop down menu click options.

A window will open up, in the top left corner will be tab named "security" click on that.

Type in the password in the "password to open box".

Click "OK" on the bottom of that window"

Another box will popup asking you to re-enter your password.

Then just save and upload the document as you would any other file.

From the guidelines:

===================

Grandfathered Cache Types

Cache types that are listed below are no longer available as options for new listings on Geocaching.com. Cache descriptions and maintenance guidelines are listed below. Grandfathered caches that are not maintained may be archived.

Not to worry, there is a separate website provided by Groundspeak Inc. dedicated to marking these unique locations. Please visit Waymarking.com for details.

Virtual Caches...

Even when they were allowed as recently as 2003

Virtual Cache Posting Guidelines

1. A virtual cache must be a physical object that can be referenced through latitude and longitude coordinates. That object should be semi-permanent to permanent. Objects in motion (such as people, vehicles) generally do not qualify as a virtual cache, unless that item can be adequately tracked and updated on the Geocaching.com web site. (For example, a link to a tracker for a vehicle might be acceptable, but contact your local approver first before posting it as a virtual cache to work out the details.) If I post the cache today, someone else should be able to find it tomorrow and the next day.

A trail is a trail, a beach is a beach, a view is a view; but a trail/beach/view is NOT a virtual cache. A cache has to be a specific distinct GPS target - not something large like a mountain top or a park, however special those locations are.

2. A virtual cache must be novel, of interest to other players, and have a special historic, community or geocaching quality that sets it apart from everyday subjects. Since the reward for a virtual cache is the location, the location should “WOW” the prospective finder. Signs, memorials, tombstones or historical markers are among the items that are generally too common to qualify as virtual caches. Unusual landmarks or items that would be in a coffee table book are good examples. If you don't know if it is appropriate, contact your local approver first, or post a question to the forums about your idea.

3. There should be one or more questions about an item at a location, something seen at that location, etc., that only the visitor to that physical location will be able to answer. The questions should be difficult enough that it cannot be answered through library or web research. The use of a "certificate of achievement" or similar item is not a substitute for the find verification requirement.

Was the one you found with a certificate placed before November 2003?

Edited by Markwell
:D I had certificates on most of my VIRTUAL caches and have removed them due to all of the 'VIRTUAL' geocachers who try to find the VIRTUAL geocaches by Internet homework or by breaking the 'password' on the Zip file or MS Word doc. I have specifically placed a comment on mine that the 'Geocache has to be found in person' but still have some try to do them without actually visiting. I really liked the Certificates..oh well.