Q: Is Groundspeak Listening?

OpinioNate

Many of you old timers might recall a time when Jeremy (Pres. and CEO) was more frequently sighted here in the forums explaining updates and taking suggestions for new features. However, trying to keep up with a growing company has left him with less and less time to devote to that important task.

To that end, I will be spending more time in this forum listening to your concerns and keeping you informed of important matters that affect the geocaching community as a whole.

About me (Nate):

I started out with Groundspeak in 2003 helping geocachers by email when they needed assistance, and perhaps spoke to a few of you by telephone when your cache was muggled or to explain why a geocache should not be placed on railroad tracks (you might damage the train). Since then I have had a number of different responsibilities but today I mostly handle quality assurance and testing for various projects. If any of you moonlight as waymarkers (gasp!) you will by now be familiar with my presence in the "other" forums. So if that's you, then you are, eh... lucky to get a double dose of me over here, too.

So what's the point?

My main goal is to wrap up all your bugs, feature requests and complaints in a convenient little package, and to pass them along to the people responsible for making them happen. When that's done I'll come back and let you know how it all went. Finally, you'll tell me about what broke as a result and the process repeats. See how that works? It's the circle of life!

How you can help me:

My only request is for you to review Raine's post on reporting site issues and continue to put his suggestions into practice. This is hugely important as it speeds up our troubleshooting process and lets you get back to having fun as quickly as possible. For feature requests/feedback please take a moment to search other threads for similar topics before starting a new one. A lot of the same requests have been brought up and answered in the past.

Parting words and warm fuzzies:

I can't promise to respond individually to every post here, but I will promise to read them all and take what you have to say to heart. It's only through your feedback that Geocaching.com can continue to grow and thrive, and we prize that above all else. You should never have to ask yourself, "Is Groundspeak paying attention?" Because the answer isOOH LOOK A BUNNY RABBIT

Happy Geocaching :sad:

Welcome, Nate!

About Us (Forum Participants):

Why does my post say 'Ringbone' please implement a rating system please don't implement a rating system can I change my username why are people allowed to log multiple finds on events micros should be their own cache type someone has been holding my travel bug for too long so please ban them and give me their home address bring back the old maps bring back the new maps why did my topic get closed bring back virtuals PQs shouldn't be limited to 500 caches please add an attribute for unicycle-friendly caches I accept your apology GEOCACHING DOESN'T CARE ABOUT CHINLDREN!

Also, it may be useful to know that the reviewers don't seem to care much for goats.

Good luck! :sad:

Welcome, Nate!

Why does my post say 'Ringbone' please implement a rating system please don't implement a rating system can I change my username why are people allowed to log multiple finds on events micros should be their own cache type someone has been holding my travel bug for too long so please ban them and give me their home address bring back the old maps bring back the new maps why did my topic get closed bring back virtuals PQs shouldn't be limited to 500 caches please add an attribute for unicycle-friendly caches I accept your apology GEOCACHING DOESN'T CARE ABOUT CHINLDREN!

Also, it may be useful to know that the reviewers don't seem to care much for goats.

Good luck! :sad:

CTD only has these complaints because he is in my review territory.

Welcome, Nate!

Good luck! ;)

So its YOU that doesnt care much for goats??????????? :sad:

Welcome, Nate!

Good luck! ;)

So its YOU that doesnt care much for goats??????????? :sad:

Whew, I thought he was referring to me for a minute. :D Wait a sec. I don't like goats either. Is that a problem??

Hmmm, smells like a sock puppet to me. :sad:

Hopefully this will stop the "Groundspeak doesn't care" movement.

I've always seen Groundspeak folks in here (Jeremey, Raine and others) so it's nice to know that there is a single point of "contact" know handling this.

Anybody want to start a pool on how long it is before Nate pulls out his hair?

Having spent over two years enjoying the company of OpinioNate in the "other" forums a.k.a. Waymarking Forums I think I can say with confidence that if OpinioNate shows even half of the dedication to the Geocaching Forums as he does to the Waymarking Forums, this is an excellent direction for Groundspeak to be taking.

Nate, as we have come to learn in Waymarking is really good at being open minded, and communicates pretty well. When I last gave him his annual review, he scored 94% (I'm kidding... I have no business evaluating him... but I love that little guy!)

But seriously, this is a really good thing that is happening for everyone in here. And having someone that oversees all of this again will be a huge benefit. I'm happy to see Nate becoming more involved in this portion of Groundspeak's original game.

:sad: The Blue Quasar

Thanks to the well wishers and to CTD for getting all the forum memes out of the way (or most, I can still think of a few more).

I'll remind Kealia that I worked our customer service for two years so if my hair were ever in jeopardy it would likely be gone by now. Happy to report they are still intact (though perhaps not overly stylish).

On preview: *blush* Thanks BQ

Edited by OpinioNate

OK Nate, let's get started.....uh, bring back virtuals! :D

I second that request. Only with the addition of one qualifier.

Please bring back good Virtuals, like this one I found last week. Here is the first part of my log:

Oh, this is just the best spot
icon_smile_big.gif
, and is the reason I miss the Virtual caches so much. I don't know how I would have found this location if your cache had not brought me here, a location where a Traditional cache wouldn't work . . . and neither would a Multi. Waymarking . . . what's that?
icon_smile_wink.gif

<snip>

Let the discussion continue . . . or not. :D Maybe this isn't up for discussion . . . if not, could we have a vote? :D

Welcome, Nate!

Good luck! :D

So its YOU that doesnt care much for goats??????????? :D

What's not to like about goats???? They're one of my favorite animals!!!

Welcome Nate! I've seen several threads by unhappy geocachers, where a simple "We know it's a problem and we're 'workin on it'" would have really helped calm people down. Thanks!

<snip>

OOH LOOK A BUNNY RABBIT

Happy Geocaching :D

Well there is your problem. What is a bunny rabbit doing in the lilly pad? Everyone knows that hamster are what keep servers running. A gerbil can be used in a pinch but not a rabbit. Rabbits can't keep the wheel spinning at a constant rate.

<Announcer voices>

Bob: Well, Jim, it would seem that Nate's got his hands full today!

Jim: That's right, Bob! The new changes they just rolled in are causing plenty of action from all sides. So far, he seems to be handling it well, but the new maps are really adding to the pressure!

Bob: Wow! Did you see that? He just handled another one, an Icon issue this time!

Jim: Beautiful return! I tell you, this kid has style. You can tell the people upstairs have lots of confidence in him.

Bob: We'll certainly be keeping an eye on this youngster as things heat up!

</Announcer voices>

Keep up the good work, Nate! :laughing:

<Announcer voices>

Bob: Well, Jim, it would seem that Nate's got his hands full today!

Jim: That's right, Bob! The new changes they just rolled in are causing plenty of action from all sides. So far, he seems to be handling it well, but the new maps are really adding to the pressure!

Bob: Wow! Did you see that? He just handled another one, an Icon issue this time!

Jim: Beautiful return! I tell you, this kid has style. You can tell the people upstairs have lots of confidence in him.

Bob: We'll certainly be keeping an eye on this youngster as things heat up!

</Announcer voices>

Keep up the good work, Nate! :)

You crack me up, man. Keep in mind that today is not the day to be causing trouble over on the other forums, so behave over there. :laughing:

Is there a group of beta testers that I could join? I'm a .Net developer by trade and a long time geocacher and I'd like to help. :laughing:

You joined the beta tester group the day you signed up with the site. :D:)

Since so much of this is new stuff, I think we find broken stuff as we use the site.

:laughing: Today, while logging caches I found yesterday, I noticed that the site is not remembering the date, as it used to . . . I have had to change the log date for each new log I am writing. :D

Is that a new "feature" or a bug? :)

On Edit:

Browser: Opera 9.23

Win XP Media Edition

Edited by Miragee
:laughing: Today, while logging caches I found yesterday, I noticed that the site is not remembering the date, as it used to . . . I have had to change the log date for each new log I am writing. :D

Is that a new "feature" or a bug? :)

How you can help me:

My only request is for you to review Raine's post on reporting site issues and continue to put his suggestions into practice. This is hugely important as it speeds up our troubleshooting process and lets you get back to having fun as quickly as possible. For feature requests/feedback please take a moment to search other threads for similar topics before starting a new one. A lot of the same requests have been brought up and answered in the past.

If GS is truly listening, then a quick post in each thread 'thanks for your feedback, we are aware of this issue' or similar would help a lot.

When there is no reply at all to a particular issue over several posts/threads about a topic, it looks like you aren't listening.

It's been standard policy that 'if there's no response, assume we know'. This is just not good customer service and just pisses people off.

You should never have to ask yourself, "Is Groundspeak paying attention?"

Because the answer is BLAME THE AMPERSAND.

:):laughing::)

Nice to hear from you, Nate. :D

If GS is truly listening, then a quick post in each thread 'thanks for your feedback, we are aware of this issue' or similar would help a lot.

When there is no reply at all to a particular issue over several posts/threads about a topic, it looks like you aren't listening.

It's been standard policy that 'if there's no response, assume we know'. This is just not good customer service and just pisses people off.

Agree. That would much better.

Edited by SUp3rFM & Cruella
Is there a group of beta testers that I could join? I'm a .Net developer by trade and a long time geocacher and I'd like to help. :o

You joined the beta tester group the day you signed up with the site. :):D

Since so much of this is new stuff, I think we find broken stuff as we use the site.

That's not the way software, including web, is generally tested - rollling out code to production and having your end users find your bugs. :mad:

I think this very thread, and the fact that there were more than a dozen such follow-up posts by OpinioNate yesterday afternoon is an indication of Groundspeak's understanding of this issue.

Dates backwards for the rest of the world on the cache pages (other than the FOUR who use month day year format)

This continues to be an annoyance. Pocket Query pages used to have dd MON yyyy which was at least logical, but now there is a mm/dd/yyyy date field, which makes creating PQs more difficult. Could we just please get an easy-to-use yyyy-mm-dd format, at least as an option? Please?

Btw, the calender window on PQ pages apparently does not work on Konqueror 3.5.5 on Debian 4.0.

Dates backwards for the rest of the world on the cache pages (other than the FOUR who use month day year format)

If there's problems - specific problems - then I would think that each would be better off in its own thread rather than having a single thread hold multiple site issues.

Am I right, Nate?