Ipaq & Otterbox

Hi all,

We recently got ourselves an Ipaq rx5720 and have found it brilliant. :D Now we have thought it a little too delicate to cache with (our e-trex has been to hell & back ;) ) but I was recently shown an otterbox which looked a better idea.

I was wondering how good they are? & if anyone had one for the same model we have. I looked on the Otterbox site and saw thier fitting guide but our model is not mentioned. I dont obviuosly want to buy one if its no good.

If not an Otterbox are there any other alternatives out thier?

Just one more thing the power button for our Ipaq is on the side can these be turned on/off while inside the otterbox or does it have to be removed. I read one review on the Armour 1900 which sounds like you build the box around the PDA, sounds a lot of hassle if you cant reach the on/offf button :sad:

Thanks in advance for any help & advice.

Chris

Just one more thing the power button for our Ipaq is on the side can these be turned on/off while inside the otterbox or does it have to be removed. I read one review on the Armour 1900 which sounds like you build the box around the PDA, sounds a lot of hassle if you cant reach the on/offf button :sad:

Hi Chris,

I use an Otterbox with my IPAQ 5450... Fantastic bit of kit, however, it doesn't half make the IPAQ a big bulky item! The 5450 has the power button on the top front face of the PDA, so I can easily access it without opening the case... However, on the odd occasion when the IPAQ goes a bit fruit loop with it's Blue tooth connection to the GPS and I have to do a reset, opening the case up is the only way to access the reset button... I'd not want to have to do that everytime I switched the unit on/off!!! So not sure how practical an otter box will be for you!

Jon

I was wondering how good they are? & if anyone had one for the same model we have. I looked on the Otterbox site and saw thier fitting guide but our model is not mentioned. I dont obviuosly want to buy one if its no good.

Just one more thing the power button for our Ipaq is on the side can these be turned on/off while inside the otterbox or does it have to be removed.

Chris

Otterboxes are considered to be pretty much bombproof & state of the art...

Haven't handled a 5720 but have had two other iPaqs both of which would switch on by pressing any of the software buttons on the front - which were all reprogramable - so one press would switch it on and start MemoryMap or whatever. The blurb for the 5720 mentions 4 software programmable buttons - but it looks like they're on the side too so unless the ones on the front also switch it on you'd be opening the box...

My opinion for what its worth. I faced this decision some time ago and was fully in favour of buying an Otter box until I saw someone elses and didn't fancy the bulk. Then someone else showed me an Aquapac which I didn't fancy either but considering they are less than £20 I thought it was worth the punt. I should point out that I already had one of those padded leather flip cases for my PDA.

Long story short, I really like accesability provided by the leather flip case and the limited but quite capable protection it offers should I drop my PDA. OK, no where near as much protection as an Otter box but in terms of gettting the balance right, absolutely bang on. In terms of bad weather etc, I immediatley grew to like the Aquapac, absolutely air/water tight and perfectly easy to use... oh and I forgot, none of these solutions are in any way bulky. Hope this helps.

i use an otterbox 3600, and its a very handy piece of kit, now being able to use the pda in the rain and no fears when i drop it.

but you can only use the buttons on the front

Thanks thats what I thought they do look pretty indestuctable

Otterboxes are considered to be pretty much bombproof & state of the art...

Haven't handled a 5720 but have had two other iPaqs both of which would switch on by pressing any of the software buttons on the front - which were all reprogramable - so one press would switch it on and start MemoryMap or whatever. The blurb for the 5720 mentions 4 software programmable buttons - but it looks like they're on the side too so unless the ones on the front also switch it on you'd be opening the box...

Yep the buttons on mine are programable but they are on the side. I dont think the 3 buttons on the main face can be changed (but Im prepard to be proved wrong). Looks like the oterbox is not for me thanks for you help

Hi Chris,

I use an Otterbox with my IPAQ 5450... Fantastic bit of kit, however, it doesn't half make the IPAQ a big bulky item! The 5450 has the power button on the top front face of the PDA, so I can easily access it without opening the case... However, on the odd occasion when the IPAQ goes a bit fruit loop with it's Blue tooth connection to the GPS and I have to do a reset, opening the case up is the only way to access the reset button... I'd not want to have to do that everytime I switched the unit on/off!!! So not sure how practical an otter box will be for you!

Jon

Thanks Jon sounds like the otter box isnt ideal for my use, but thanks for your feedback it is appreciated

My opinion for what its worth. I faced this decision some time ago and was fully in favour of buying an Otter box until I saw someone elses and didn't fancy the bulk. Then someone else showed me an Aquapac which I didn't fancy either but considering they are less than £20 I thought it was worth the punt. I should point out that I already had one of those padded leather flip cases for my PDA.

Long story short, I really like accesability provided by the leather flip case and the limited but quite capable protection it offers should I drop my PDA. OK, no where near as much protection as an Otter box but in terms of gettting the balance right, absolutely bang on. In terms of bad weather etc, I immediatley grew to like the Aquapac, absolutely air/water tight and perfectly easy to use... oh and I forgot, none of these solutions are in any way bulky. Hope this helps.

Excellent I will look into the Aquapac sounds like it may be a compromise but at least it will be waterproof. I do like the accesabillity the leather case gives but I would like a bit more protection. Anyway thanks for your input & suggesting an alternative.

Does anyone else know any other alternatives??

It looks identical to mine except yours has wi fi bilt in, maybe a better software deal?

Check out the boxes/cases for it before buying I really would like the power on button to be on the front instead of the side. Having said that I am so happy with the performance & usage of ours. It was a good deal at the time Hewlet Packard was doing a cash back which saved us £30 making it £125 with TT6 whihc we thought was a bargin.

Me too to the Aquapac - I've seen an Otterbox in use and went for the Aquapac on the grounds of cost and weight as I didn't feel the need for it to be rugged, just waterproof. You would be able to manipulate your iPaq around in it and so access all buttons and I've literally held it underwater in the bath (and been walking with it in the Lakes - a sterner test!) It is waterproof, but you can't park your car on top of it :)

Not sure if this will help, but we have a "PDair" aluminium case on our Mio which is well made and seems to be ok.

Its not waterproof, but based on the knocks the Mio has had it does protect it - we keep a few of the zip-lock (?) plastic bags, the things that the logbook is usually in in a cache box, with us to put the Mio with case into if it rains, if the bag gets damaged you just put another one on!

H

Not sure if this will help, but we have a "PDair" aluminium case on our Mio which is well made and seems to be ok.

Its not waterproof, but based on the knocks the Mio has had it does protect it - we keep a few of the zip-lock (?) plastic bags, the things that the logbook is usually in in a cache box, with us to put the Mio with case into if it rains, if the bag gets damaged you just put another one on!

H

Thanks for that I will check them out. Maybe in conjunction with the Aquapac for the waterproof side although if the PDair is that good as you say the ziplock bags will do fine for usual rain (I wont be white river rafting :laughing: )