Suggestions for a new GPS

quaffle

Welcome to the Forums! :sad:

I would recommend the Garmin Legend HCx or Vista HCx. Since you have had the eTrex, you will be familiar with the buttons and might prefer the smaller size as compared to the 60Cx/CSx or 76Cx/CSx.

Then you will want to get the City Navigator maps to take advantage of the auto-routing ability. You might also want to get the Garmin Topo maps if you like to hike.

Take a look at the Garmin GPSmap 60csx. It's very sensitive, and rugged to boot. I've had mine up Yosemite Falls, down the Grand Canyon, and out in the back country in Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain. I've dropped it, sat on it, and (accidentally) smacked it against rocks, and it works like a champ.

The sensitivity of the 60csx used to be it's biggest advantage over the eTrex line. Since the arrival of the eTrex 'H' models, that advantage has gone away. So the primary benefits are durability, and the ability to plug in an external antenna for better reception in deep, narrow canyons. I've got a Gilsson antenna for my 60csx, but I haven't had to use it yet!

If you like the form factor of the eTrex line, and you don't bang your unit around a lot, the eTrex Vista HCX is a good choice. If you do bang your unit around, or if you do a lot of hiking, I'd recommend the 60csx.

I want to by a new GPS. I had an Etrex legend but I've decided to buy a new one because I've had mine for almost 3 years. Can anyone recomend a good one? I've been geocaching for 3 years so I'm not a complete newbie.

I'm interested in buying your Etrex Legend. It would be a great upgrade from the Lowrance GlobalNav 200 I'm using now.

<snip>

If you like the form factor of the eTrex line, and you don't bang your unit around a lot, the eTrex Vista HCX is a good choice. If you do bang your unit around, or if you do a lot of hiking, I'd recommend the 60csx.

My Vista C has been very durable over more than two years of caching, during which I used it on many, many hikes. When I first got it, I got an Invisible Shield protector for the screen, and got the neoprene cover to protect it, two things I recommend for whatever model GPSr someone purchases. When the Vista C fell off a 100-foot-high boulder, it was still on when we found it at the bottom . . . and it continued to work just fine after that "incident." ;)

I think the eTrex line is just as durable as the Map 60Cx/CSx, and now that the 'H' versions offer a more sensitive receiver, it is an excellent option for people who like the smaller size, or don't need the larger size . . . :sad:

I want to by a new GPS. I had an Etrex legend but I've decided to buy a new one because I've had mine for almost 3 years. Can anyone recomend a good one? I've been geocaching for 3 years so I'm not a complete newbie.
In order of priority IMHO:

1) Get a GPS that autoroutes. This is an extremely useful feature.

2) Get a GPS with a SirfStarIII chip.

3) Get a GPS with expandable memory.

4) Get a GPS that has an electronic compass. Least important but handy.

You can get all of those if you buy a Vista HCX or a 60CSX. :sad: