? about Benchmarks

KSJohn

Ok, just got a copy of National Geographic "Topo Outdoor Recreation Mapping" software for the area I live. This program is put together using USGS 7 1/2 maps. In scrolling around the area I find BM X. In pulling up the NGS benchmarks for my area, there are some showing on the map that are not included in this list.

My big question is -- Is there a place that I can look using the coordinates, that will show whos benchmark this is, as in NGS or USGS or other?

Also where can I get a list of the USGS marks for the area I live?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by KSJohn

KSJohn:

I would suggest reading through the USGS thread a few below this one that has 4 pages. It will be alot of reading - but it will get you up to speed on how the folks here are dealing with USGS marks!

Good luck! and keep us posted on your efforts!

Edited by frex3wv

Most of the benchmarks shown on a USGS quad map are USGS benchmarks. Marks from other local, State, & federal agencies are sometimes shown on the Quads if their locations were known to the cartographers. Presently, USGS benchmark data is only available in paper form; it is not posted online. You can obtain USGS benchmark data through the USGS office for your State.

Edited by Kewaneh & Shark