I Just Want To Cry:(

Nochipra

Last night we went out to dinner for Chip's birthday with his family. On the way to the restaurant we heard our van make a strange noise but didn't think much of it at the time. The restaurant is just a little way from where we live. Well we checked it out this morning and it seems our van is leaking water. WELL! There go our plans for going to the PA Geocoinfest:( We can't get it fixed before saturday and I don't know if we should take the chance so we are going to be stuck at home. I JUST WANT TO CRY! :sad::(:P:grin::sad: I was looking so forward to going:( This would of been our first bigger event other than the local groups yearly picnics. I guess it is better to have the van break down b4 we go somewhere rather than on the trip though? It might have been a blessing in disguise although right now I can't really see it:(

If there's a local forum, I'd bet you can get a ride, as cache test dummies have suggested.

You could rent a car. Obviously an additional expense - but given the mileage savings against your van (and possibly the gas savings if you rent something small) maybe not a great expense.

Of course, when you're facing an unknown amount of repair expense it's harder to justify spending extra entertainment dollars.

The Motor used in the GM products, Chevy Venture, Pontiac Montana, etc. (and the same motor in anything else...most likely) is known for a head gasket issue. We have gone through two. If you have that particular motor...be sure to get a head gasket that just won't repeat the problem. We have gone through two of them.

Do we know that it's the head gasket? I had an Oldsmobeast that sprung a leak because the thermostat gasket croaked. A trip to Autozone and ten minutes of my day and it was all good.

The Motor used in the GM products, Chevy Venture, Pontiac Montana, etc. (and the same motor in anything else...most likely) is known for a head gasket issue. We have gone through two. If you have that particular motor...be sure to get a head gasket that just won't repeat the problem. We have gone through two of them.

Do we know that it's the head gasket? I had an Oldsmobeast that sprung a leak because the thermostat gasket croaked. A trip to Autozone and ten minutes of my day and it was all good.

In my case yes. I took it in, the guy replaced the head gasket the leak stopped. I could not find the leak it was buried so far back in the van's engine bay. The second time was covered under the warrantee from the gasket maker who provided the first gasket.

I would have been a lot happier with a thermostat gasket. That I can fix.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I'm pretty sad I'm going to be missing a few events this weekend ;) Just can't afford it right now. And on top of that I have a few caches of my own to hide for an upcoming event im hosting in a week.

Reguardless, I would be way bumed out too if I had planned on going and had to miss out, I think id take the chance :sad:

I know how you feel on the car issues, I had car problems at work yesterday and luckily 2 other geocachers both work within a block of my work and get off at the same time so I caught a ride home. Isn't caching great?

I thought it was Barh's Leak,or was that just a leak at the Bar?

Glad I know how to work on all type of internal combustion engines.

I had driveline go on the last event I attended.

Was back up and going in less than 2 hours and did it on side of the road.

Good thing I carry an extra set of u-joints,gasket making material,box-o-tools and a 6 pack.

Thanks for the suggestions:) It is a Ford E 150 Econoline van. I use a large van because I need it for my electric wheelchair and I have hand controls so it's not really like I can drive anyone's car or rent just anything although I did call some car rental places. They will put on hand controls in vehicles but they don't have anything with a wheelchair lift. The places that do have wheelchair lift vans cost way too much, around $100 a day which is way too much for me. I'll just have to wait for the next big event that comes close to where I live here in Va.

That's bad news... :D:D

I had a similar experience today.... I prepared to go caching in a city about 50 km from here. I don't have a car and wanted to go by train. I had to be back at 4 pm and the train needs 1:15 h for the trip, so my time was a little bit limited. When I reached the train station I had about 10 minutes left until the train arrived. Everything was fine, until I found a credit card lying on the ground. I picked it up, rushed out of the train station and searched for a police officer. Luckily there was one just nearby, but he wanted to know my name, address, birthday etc., and when we had finished all that stuff I rushed back to the train station where the train already was standing at the platform. The doors closed just before I reached the train. I could even push the button that opens the door, but the door didn't open again :D and the train left without me. I would have to wait 1 h for the next train, but then I had only 2 hours in that city, and that would have been not enough time to enjoy the trip, so I went home, very disappointed...