How do you print just the Lat/Long's and the hints?

GoRVGo

I download waypoints to my GPS and only need the "hints" in order to find the cache. I have been printing 1 page per cache and would like to get away from that to only taking the GPS and the most basic but useful information such as the hints. How is this done... what are some best practices/ Thank you!

I use GSAK and export the hints into the cache Notes field on my GPS, along with D/T, size, cache type. Then the basics are all in my GPS, which is what I think you're looking for.

This is all new to me but I actually thought that that amount of detail would have to go to something like a palm pocket organizer type device. Never knew about any GPSr had that "cache notes" feature. Do you have to have a special GPSr with that feature to do this? Certainly no mention of this in my Lowrance I-Finder manual. :sad: Thanks................Tom

I use GSAK and export the hints into the cache Notes field on my GPS, along with D/T, size, cache type. Then the basics are all in my GPS, which is what I think you're looking for.

This is all new to me but I actually thought that that amount of detail would have to go to something like a palm pocket organizer type device. Never knew about any GPSr had that "cache notes" feature. Do you have to have a special GPSr with that feature to do this? Certainly no mention of this in my Lowrance I-Finder manual. :sad: Thanks................Tom

I can't speak for Lowrance but my 60CS has a field that lets me upload up to I think 25 characters of the hint.

I can't speak for Lowrance but my 60CS has a field that lets me upload up to I think 25 characters of the hint.

I think only certain Garmin and Magellan models have a Notes/Hints field. Like TrailGators, I have a Garmin GPSmap unit; all of the GPSmap models (CS, CSx, Cx, etc.) have a Notes field, but it doesn't hold a lot of info. Some Maggies have a special field just for Hints.

PDAs with the right free/shareware software can save the entire cache page in gpx format and let you view it in the field. (There are plenty of threads about that.)

Edited by hydnsek

Would you please explain how this is done , I have a 60CXS and use gsak. Thanks in advance

Would you please explain how this is done , I have a 60CXS and use gsak. Thanks in advance

If you use the Search feature of this forum, you'll find a gazillion threads covering this in detail, but here's the short version:

On the "Send Waypoints to GPS" dialog screen, enter the appropriate tags in the "Waypoint Description Format (comments)" field. (The Export to GPS dialog has a similar field.) You only have to do it once; GSAK will remember your selections until/unless you change them.

In my case, I have %code %typ1 %con1 %Dif/%Ter %by. OK, I lied about including the hint (I use my PDA), but that would be the %hint tag (if you don't understand GSAK tags, read the program's help section on them, which explains all the options). So, for the Panda's Pleasure cache in my area, for example, the Note field shows: GC1209Q T M 3.5/1.5 WRASTRO. That's the GC number (since I use Smart Names for the main Waypoint Name), cache type (traditional), size (micro), D/T, and hider. There is a character limit on what you can have in the Notes field on the GPS, which is not much more than what I use. So, long hints will be cut off if you include them.

Hope that helps, and doubtless others will chime in, too. I'm headed out of town for a 4-day weekend to do some orienteering (and a little caching on the side) in Kamloops, BC. Woo hoo!

If you use the Search feature of this forum, you'll find a gazillion threads covering this in detail, but here's the short version:

On the "Send Waypoints to GPS" dialog screen, enter the appropriate tags in the "Waypoint Description Format (comments)" field. (The Export to GPS dialog has a similar field.) You only have to do it once; GSAK will remember your selections until/unless you change them.

In my case, I have %code %typ1 %con1 %Dif/%Ter %by. OK, I lied about including the hint (I use my PDA), but that would be the %hint tag (if you don't understand GSAK tags, read the program's help section on them, which explains all the options). So, for the Panda's Pleasure cache in my area, for example, the Note field shows: GC1209Q T M 3.5/1.5 WRASTRO. That's the GC number (since I use Smart Names for the main Waypoint Name), cache type (traditional), size (micro), D/T, and hider. There is a character limit on what you can have in the Notes field on the GPS, which is not much more than what I use. So, long hints will be cut off if you include them.

Hope that helps, and doubtless others will chime in, too. I'm headed out of town for a 4-day weekend to do some orienteering (and a little caching on the side) in Kamloops, BC. Woo hoo!

Thanks for the help, have a great roadtrip!

You can cut and paste just the info you need onto Windows Notepad. You then only print what you need and it all goes on one page.

I usually cache paperless with a PDA but at times I cut and paste into a Word document and can fit 10 or more cache names/coords/hints on a single sheet of paper.

You can combine the "smart name" codes anyway you want to, but this is the code I use for the Waypoint name:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

This includes part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). By putting the Name in front, if I need to look it up by Name instead of by Nearest, I'll find it in the alphabetically-ordered list.

To get part of the hint, on the Send to GPS dialogue box, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank:

%Name=10 %hint

I think only certain Garmin and Magellan models have a Notes/Hints field. Like TrailGators, I have a Garmin GPSmap unit; all of the GPSmap models (CS, CSx, Cx, etc.) have a Notes field, but it doesn't hold a lot of info. Some Maggies have a special field just for Hints.

PDAs with the right free/shareware software can save the entire cache page in gpx format and let you view it in the field. (There are plenty of threads about that.)

Thanks Hydnsek and trailgators for the explanation. I think your right about just Magellens and Garmins having that feature. Isn't on my Lowrance as far as I can tell. Have a good trip to Kamloops Hydnsek! ;)

I download waypoints to my GPS and only need the "hints" in order to find the cache. I have been printing 1 page per cache and would like to get away from that to only taking the GPS and the most basic but useful information such as the hints. How is this done... what are some best practices/ Thank you!

you go on geocaching.com and type in the cach name and print the cordinates...:D

Actually you can get that same info (smart name, terrain, type, hint etc) on Lowrance models. I have the Maps & Music iFinder model and using GSAK it works - hover over the icon when you get close and it pops up that info. I had to play around with GSAK and the data exporte from the geocaching website to learn how to do it. _ May not have taken as long if I read the GSAK help section.