Strange behavior with latest firmware? VistaHCX

phiscocks

Anyone else notice some strange behavior with their VistaHCX after the latest firmware and chip update?

I have a replacement unit from Garmin (smashed my other one) and I loaded the latest updates.

I get erratic bearing pointer results on the compass page. The pointer may be 90 to 180 degrees off but the distance to destination will be going down as I walk.

Also, the North indicator on the map page will seem to freeze in a non North direction for long periods of time or until I push the quit/ exit button.

Finally it just doesn't seem to get me as close to "ground zero" as my other unit did. Maybe it is just the caches I picked today.

Anyone else see any strange things with the updates or maybe it is my imagination.

TIA

Anyone else notice some strange behavior with their VistaHCX after the latest firmware and chip update?

I have a replacement unit from Garmin (smashed my other one) and I loaded the latest updates.

I get erratic bearing pointer results on the compass page. The pointer may be 90 to 180 degrees off but the distance to destination will be going down as I walk.

Also, the North indicator on the map page will seem to freeze in a non North direction for long periods of time or until I push the quit/ exit button.

Finally it just doesn't seem to get me as close to "ground zero" as my other unit did. Maybe it is just the caches I picked today.

Anyone else see any strange things with the updates or maybe it is my imagination.

TIA

I've done a couple of caches with mine since the updates and have not noticed any problem.

Have you calibrated the compass? Is the compass turned on? If the electronic compass is turned on, what settings are you using to switch between a bearing defined by the compass and one defined by the direction in which you are moving?

One other thing you might try is hunting up a couple of benchmarks - preferably ones in locations with a full view of the sky. That should give you some sense of your unit's accuracy.

Yep I have calibrated the compass multiple times.

This morning I parked in my usual parking spot at work. Took an average waypoint mark (10 samples) and put those coords in Google Earth. Google Earth shows the coordinates 28 -29 feet from the marked location. Grrr

Next I will have 2 others I know with Vista HCX units use those coords and see where it puts them.

I will also compare side by side with all three marking the same spot.

We will see what we get.

It just doen't seem to bee a accurate as my original Vista HCX but maybe I'm being overly critical just because it is a replacement.

The photos in Google Earth are not precisely calibrated to the coordinate grid. Therefore they make a poor choice for testing the accuracy of your reciever. Find a precisely measured point (i.e. USGS benchmark) and collect several readings. You may be surprised how acurate your Vista really is.

I had a similar problem too, where the compass would only change about 90 degrees while I did a slow 360 rotation. While caching, it would always point towards the cache while driving in the car (at those speeds it determines your direction using the GPS signals), but at walking speeds (electronic compass) it would point in the opposite direction. Mine problem was resolved with a quick calibration of the compass. If calibration does not fix it, maybe you should call Garmin? Good luck with it.

Ok this is weird.

I did another test with a friend that has the exact same GPS. Side by side we get the same coordinates so that part is working fine.

Next I noticed that I had tracks on with about 20% used. Turned it off and cleared it and the checked the bearing pointer. It was much more steady or fluid in it's movements. Hmm that is weird. It also appears that the map page North pointer will react more quickly when starting from a stop. Previously it would be stuck indicating North in an incorrect direction.

So we are nearly back to "normal" behavior before the latest firmware and chipset update.

I still think one of these updates has made the bearing pointer more erratic when standing still and trying to get an indication on the waypoint lock.

I had the same problem yesterday. Some 180 degree misdirection stuff and erratic behavior too, with the compass, with the Vista HCx.

My friend has the Vista Cx; and, he just told me that he has to periodically recalibrate his device. I think I read in the manual that you have to recal the compass after any battery changes; but, don't quote me on that.

I haven't recal'd my compass yet; so, I'm looking forward to trying that. I will note; that, having to recal the compass regularly will sure be a pain.....if I start having to do that all the time.

I had the same problem yesterday. Some 180 degree misdirection stuff and erratic behavior too, with the compass, with the Vista HCx.

My friend has the Vista Cx; and, he just told me that he has to periodically recalibrate his device. I think I read in the manual that you have to recal the compass after any battery changes; but, don't quote me on that.

I haven't recal'd my compass yet; so, I'm looking forward to trying that. I will note; that, having to recal the compass regularly will sure be a pain.....if I start having to do that all the time.

After every battery change is correct. It takes about thirty seconds, how much of a pain can that be?