Borrowing GPSr

TheCarterFamily

My daughter and I have mentioned GeoCaching while at her YMCA day care and school.

The teachers have expressed mild interested at times for an activity to do with the school. I've been giving it a lot of thought and shouldn't be two difficult to set up some temporary caches on the school grounds for the kids to find. Even explaining to a group of 4-5 year olds isn't too hard.

The only two things that stops me in my thinking are:

1. Do I want to purposely put myself through that stress.

2. Where to get my hands on some GPSr's.

So I thought I'd ask here just in case I ever get over point 1. :laughing:

Any one know any places near the Orangeville (45 north of Mississauga) where one could rent GPSr's?

My suggestion would be not to use GPSrs, just make it a treasure hunt or scavenger hunt with clues written down on paper. 4 & 5 year olds seem a bit young to be using GPSrs.

I believe kids are born intelligent. The only thing they lack is experience. So I don't believe kids are too young for anything. Just inexperienced. My 4 year old has been using my GPSr to find caches since we started. She can follow a big red arrow. Not to mention she can count to 12 (20 on some days). With 6 metre accuracy she can get us there.

The purpose of sharing with the school would be to learn, and have fun doing it.

My suggestion would be not to use GPSrs, just make it a treasure hunt or scavenger hunt with clues written down on paper. 4 & 5 year olds seem a bit young to be using GPSrs.

I believe kids are born intelligent....

Give them a topo map, and a compass :sad:

Then ask them where you can rent some GPSrs