Why do Garmin sell bad models for the same price as ones?

gallet

When I say 'bad' I don't mean intrinsically bad just relatively.

For example the LegendCx and the LegendHCx they are the same price however compared to the HCx the Cx is an inferior product yet the price is the same?

Same with the basic Yellow eTrex they sell that and also the eTrexH at the same price.

Why? or more appropriately 'How'?

Are they just taking advantage of people who might not notice? Isn't this a bit dodgy? Is it good business to trick customers. I mean how would you feel if you innocently bought an eTrex only to learn later that you should have bought the eTrexH at the same price seeing as it's the same unit with a much much better chipset.

For example the LegendCx and the LegendHCx they are the same price however compared to the HCx the Cx is an inferior product yet the price is the same?

Same with the basic Yellow eTrex they sell that and also the eTrexH at the same price.

Are they just taking advantage of people who might not notice? Isn't this a bit dodgy? Is it good business to trick customers. I mean how would you feel if you innocently bought an eTrex only to learn later that you should have bought the eTrexH at the same price seeing as it's the same unit with a much much better chipset.

I'm sure the old models will be discontinued soon.

The difference is that Garmin includes the Micro SD card with the CX. There is no card with the HCX. You have your choice depending on your usage. If you are using this unit for navigation then you are in a relatively clear area and would use the SD card, however the high sensitivity chipset would not be needed. If the unit is being used for geocaching then there is greater need for the high sensitivity chipset for use under heavy tree canopy. Most of the people that I know that do geocaching dont have full maps loaded into their GPSr. So, currently Garmin, right now anyway, allows you to choose the unit that is best for you.

The difference is that Garmin includes the Micro SD card with the CX. There is no card with the HCX.

There IS an SD slot on the HCx.

Yes, but the unit does not come with an card, you have to buy it separately. With the CX, it comes with a card.

With respect to the OP, I figure it is like the others say. The CX was around for a while, then they started to produce the HCx. There is probably still significant stock, so they still sell the CX (with the bonus of a, albeit small, microSD card). It will likely be discontiued soon.

A 1 gigabyte card costs about $10 so the 64 Mb card in the Cx is worth what? If the card is the difference then Garmin are giving users the choice of a free $3 card or the latest chipset that is as good as a SirfStarIII. Isn't that making even more of a mockery of their customers. I mean only a newbie who didn't understand about the chipsets and what it means would buy it.

But of course there is no difference as all between the yellow etrex and the H model. Apart of course from the chipset. What is the terrific choice Garmin are offering there?

I can't see this in any other light than Garmin relying on the ignorance of buyers to cynically get rid of superceded stock. The honorable thing to do would be to discount the old stock. But instead Garmin appear to be relying on the fact that there are a lot of people who really don't have a clue and won't notice.

This seems a bit wrong, it would be like Apple upgrading one of their computers and still selling the old one at the same price. When apple upgrade a component they remove the old one the same day the new one arrives. In fact they go further, if you bought the old one and they upgraded within two weeks you can exchange it for free. Compare and contrast that with Garmin deliberately fooling ignorant customers to buy their old stock.

Maybe there should be a pinned notice at the top of the "Getting Started" forum with a warning to newbie buyers about this.

I hardly call the CX inferior. the trip meter on the HCX still sucks. if I wasn't using the GPS in deep forest I would buy a CX instead of an HCX...

That's a really poor reason to choose a Cx instead of an HCx. The odometer issue is really trivial compared to the drastic improvement of the HCx in it's ability to get a fix in sub-optimal conditions. For me, I'd rather have the ability to have a satellite signal in virtually any terrain than worry about a lagging trip meter.

Really, when I read what most of you are saying I have to laugh. When a product is produced there are costs involved and the manufacturer needs to see ROI (return on investment) in order to remain profitable. Some of you are saying that having the CX at the same price as the HCX is crazy and that they should drop the price of the CX. Really, what you are saying is that you would feel comfortable if Garmin was to raise the price of the HCX in order to compensate for the high capability receiver provided by the MediaTek chipset. It seems odd to me that you would be okay with the price of another unit being higher priced. Perhaps you should write to Garmin and ask them to increase the price of the HCX so that you can feel good about spending the amount of money on the CX. Honestly, The only reason that you are complaining about the price is that you only want to buy the CX - and you want it cheap. If you wanted the HCX you would be praising Garmin for delivering new advanced technology to you at the same price as the earlier unit. You are upset because you feel that you should now be able to get a CX "dirt cheap" because the new model has been released at the same price as the previous model. If enough of you call Garmin and ask them to increase the price, I am sure that they will. Then you will all be happy. By the way, The MediaTek chipset that Garmin is using in the HCX product has a cost of about $10.00 when bought in quantity - roughly the same as the price that they would have paid for the SD cards in the CX model.

@=Techwiz

Hi, unfortunately your analysis collapses if one looks at normal market models. Apple computers is appropriate here. Every year or less they upgrade their components on the imac for example, by putting in larger hard drives, or faster and more advanced chips or more RAM, yet after each significant upgrade the price does not increase, you just get better value. As you correctly point out the Media Tek is so cheap that there is no need for a price increase.

Garmin does not redevelop a new GPS every quarter and the technology pretty much remains the same. You said yourself that the MediaTek improvement is about the same price so that the two units remain at the same retail (since the CX has the value add of the SD card). What is your complaint really? I have noticed that you have only found 3 caches since May. I have noticed that you are very negative on every board that I have seen your posts on. Which GPS do you have and what are you using it for? Do you have a genuine concern or are you just bellyaching for the sake of bellyaching?

I think the OP makes a valid point. I would expect to see the old stock at well reduced prices. Some newbies are not aware of the difference and some retailers will unscrupulously dump old stock on them. They will greatly regret their purchase in the very near future.

I moved to a 60 CSx from an eTrex 18 months ago and can not believe anyone would want one of the old insensitive chipsets over the new sensitive ones, even despite teething troubles.

Some newbies are not aware of the difference and some retailers will unscrupulously dump old stock on them. They will greatly regret their purchase in the very near future.

That's pretty well nailed it. I hate seeing people taken advantage of.

Trying to equate the 'value' of the micro card with the Media Tek chip is ludicrous seeing as a $64 Mb card is worth about $3 now and it is not possible to upgrade the chipset.

Customers are taken advantage of all the time. I think that is called sales. It is their job to some extent. I was at REI just before the Hcx came out. The new GPS customer was asking questions and the staff was answering them. The staff was trying to steer the customer towards the Vista cx. The sales person did not tell the customer about the Hcx. This was days before the Hcx was due to be released at the same price. I spoke up and informed the customer about the Hcx and gave my opinion that he may want to wait to check that model out. It is the job of sales people to sell. Nothing bad about it but they should also look out for thier customers. Just my $0.02

Customers are taken advantage of all the time. I think that is called sales. It is their job to some extent. I was at REI just before the Hcx came out. The new GPS customer was asking questions and the staff was answering them. The staff was trying to steer the customer towards the Vista cx. The sales person did not tell the customer about the Hcx. This was days before the Hcx was due to be released at the same price. I spoke up and informed the customer about the Hcx and gave my opinion that he may want to wait to check that model out. It is the job of sales people to sell. Nothing bad about it but they should also look out for their customers. Just my $0.02

You are not wrong in what you say. However Garmin should not be complicit in this little conspiracy. If a seller has instructed staff to offload superseded models at no discount while purposely not informing their customers, that's one thing. However it is an entirely different proposition when the manufacturer themselves have the superseded and the new product side by side at the same price. This is why there are sellers who are able to keep a straight face and legally assure a customer that a superseded model is in fact the 'latest' model.

Edited by gallet

caveat emptor - let the buyer beware

Garmin's pulling a fast one here. They should've reduced the price of the older models. The inclusion of a ridiculously small 64mb card is hardly justification to continue to sell older models at the same price of newer, improved models. With 2gb cards selling for under $30, who is going to base a buying decision on the inclusion of a card too small to carry a decent set of maps?

Unfortunately for first time GPS buyers there are many stores that sell them and from what I've seen almost none of these stores have the high end models,plus the cheapest places to buy them have people selling them that don't even know how to turn them on,let alone awnser any questions about them.Like Wally World.Most people purchasing their first unit also most likely know nothing about navigation,and once you buy a unit the mannuals may still leave some unawnsered questions .You will need to find out on your own how GPS works,about map datums and co-ordinates systems,true and magnetic north and the different model features and the future accessories that you may want to get later.A first buy is not going to be your last most likely.

Garmin's pulling a fast one here. They should've reduced the price of the older models.

I don't think that's up to Garmin. The older models are already in the retail pipeline - garmin has sold them to the retailers and they're no longer in garmin's control. the plain yellows and pre-H series GPS's you're seeing for sale are stock that retailers have to move. Some are doing the right thing by cutting prices on outmoded stock, a little, and some don't even understand the difference between what they've got and what they're getting. Either way, that's a failing of the retailer, not of garmin.

Analog - if you go to the grocery and see a can of peaches close to the sell-by date, and it's not on the marked down rack, that's the fault of safeway, not of del monte.