Help publishing a new cache

The Platonas Two

I wonder if anyone will be kind enough to help me?

I have placed and tested my first cache and am ready to publish it on the site but am having problems with the formatting. I prepared the main text as a Word document, so that I could just cut and paste the information into the appropriate box on the "setting a cache" page. So far, so good, but I have two main problems:

I have used some coloured text, and also some bold text - neither show up in the box. The text only comes out as plain black with no colours or bolding

I have also prepared some boxes; these are to be used to enter co-ordinates as geocachers follow the puzzle trail and work out the answers to the clues, but the boxes won't cut or paste.

Can anyone help with this problem? I'm sure there is a simple solution as so many people have pictures, diagrams, colours etc within their texts, but it's obviously too simple for me to work out!

Thanks in advance, and please reply in very simple terms!

Edited by The Platonas Two

Have you checked the box on the cache submission form that says your cache uses HTML? Unless you do that, all the format codes disappear.

Thanks for the very prompt response, wonderful service!

I've just tried as you suggested with the same outcome - no boxes, colours or bold font.

The spacing also squashed itself up, but that's easily resolved.

I'be be grateful for any more suggestions.......................

Read this thread, perhaps it will help. :laughing:

Again, thank you very much for replying so quickly - it really is appreciated.

This looks much more complicated than I thought - I've never written anything in code of any description before and naively assumed that just typing my text in Word, and then transferring to the submissions page would work - obviously not!

I've read the thread you very kindly provided the link for, and will have to try and cobble something together - or just give up............

Thank you for all the help, I'll gladly accept any more!

Take a look at a cache page that has the type of formatting you want. Color, boxes etc. RIGHT click on the page, one of the options will be "view source code" (or some words to that effect).

It's a bit daunting - there's a lot of code at the top of a cache page for all the boxes, links, headers. But keep scrolling down until you see "long description" - below that you're looking directly at the html that generates the formatting you want.

Here is a cheat sheet for HTML tags. Use these to maniupulated the way your cache page is displayed. The usualy way to do it is to enclose the word, sentence or paragraph inside the tags. The end tag always has the slash.

For example:

<b>This text would show as bold</b>

<i>This text would be in italics</i>

<center> this text would be centered on the page</center>

<center><b><i>This text would be centered, bold and in italics</i></b></center>

Oh my goodness......I'm learning whole new skills I didn't know existed.

Thanks you very much indeed to Isonzo Karst and Briansnat for their valuable help; I have spent the past hour merrily writing code (and doesn't that sound clever?!) in order to convert my text into something that looks acceptable as a cache listing.

It's a slow job but I'm getting there, and I would never have been able to do it without everyone's help so thanks again - just hope the cache when it's finally published is worth it!