Higher Difficulty Rating for This Cache?

alienbogey

As you can see by my join date I'm still relatively new. I placed this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

and rated it as a 2.5 difficulty. So far it has 3 finds and 4 DNF's.

I know that's a small sample, but I want the cache to be rated fairly, do you think I should bump it up to a 3? Higher? Stay 2.5?

A couple of things to consider: some folks haven't had their "boxes" expanding sufficiently and any rating is a range.

I still giggle at an incident where a group of cachers, all of whom had finds into the 4 digits, couldn't find a large ammo can even though several of them where within mere inches several times. The only reason I can think of is they weren't used to that type of hide. Their "box" wasn't large enough and/or they didn't think outside it.

Ratings are very subjective. I rarely think of any cache in terms of "this is a 2.5 difficutly. It should only be this hard." It simply doesn't work that way. For me, a 2.5 could be completed trivially or it could stump me time after time. Of course, a 1/1 should be really easy and a 5/5 should be really, really hard. But even there you have a range.

I think your 2.5 sounds just about right. It's stumping a few folks and impressed a high numbers guy. I'd say leave it.