Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

I asked because I do not recall seeing a file with an .iso extension. I have no idea what to do with such a file to make it usable. I think the 9 files in rar format get combined somehow to make a single file, but was expecting it to result in a self-installing .exe file. Since VP has not reported success with the resulting .iso file, I am hesitant about the many hours it would take me to download them.

Edited by snowfleurys

The 9 RAR pieces join together to create a single .ISO. The .ISO is meant for direct burning to a DVD, and is structured something like a .ZIP file - it contains (IIRC) about 8 files and a couple of subdirectories with lots more files.

There are Windows utilities (I don't know their names) that will unpack the files from the .ISO; one of them is the Windows installer. I don't believe there's a Mac installer in there.

There are Windows utilities (I don't know their names) that will unpack the files from the .ISO; one of them is the Windows installer. I don't believe there's a Mac installer in there.

WinRAR is able to unpack ISO files. There's also tools such as DaemonTools that provide a virtual CD/DVD drive and let you mount the ISO file as a virtual DVD.

The 9 RAR pieces join together to create a single .ISO. The .ISO is meant for direct burning to a DVD, and is structured something like a .ZIP file - it contains (IIRC) about 8 files and a couple of subdirectories with lots more files.

There is not a Mac installer in the ISO. That's a different process (install to Windows computer, use Garmin Mapconvert, copy resulting .gmapi files to Mac).

If you are looking for the Mac version, download the Mac torrent. Not 100% clear which one is being sought by snowfleurys.

Thanks for all the info. I am beginning to understand.

In the past I have made many CD-ROMs of data files using 3rd party software and never needed to make an .iso image file.

I am using a PC platform; no need for a mac version, I was unsure of what a file with a .iso extension was. It is now clear.

Hi. I have a quick question regarding RoadTrip. I have Ibycus Topo 4.0 Canada loaded up and in RoadTrip the "Find" function does not work properly. If I type in any text it will not return any results. The only way I can find POIs (mountains, lakes, etc) is by placing a waypoint nearby and using the "Find near Waypoint" function where it lists EVERYTHING. It is quite a pain to navigate that way. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Oh thank you Ibycus for making these maps! They are awesome.

Edited by DeNomad

Thanks Ibycus for your efforts. Do you have a donations page to contribute?

I am a brand new Garmin user. Just picked up a GPSmap 62S. So far I like it. It replaces my old Magellan Meridian Gold.

So far I have loaded Mapsource and installed Ibycus version Topo version 2.0 (or was it 2.1?). It works well, but the one thing that I am missing is the ability to show vertical profiles.

I'm involved in radio communications and I use it for doing path profiles between radio sites.

I was wondering if Ibycus version 4.0 Topo in MapSource will provide vertical path profiles?

I see that he mentioned that “Also there is a new version of the underlying dataset for the topo data.”.

I was curious if this “dataset” is what is required to display vertical path profiles.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.

I was wondering if Ibycus version 4.0 Topo in MapSource will provide vertical path profiles?

No,you need a map with DEM data. Nobody has reverse engineered the Garmin DEM system, so 3rd party maps cannot have it. You would need Garmin's Topo Canada to get that to work.

Of course I believe there are online resources to do what you need as well.

Has anyone else had issues trying to load the 3.2 topo to a Garmin 60cs? I had the Ibycus topo's on my Legend HCx and never had an issue but when I loaded them on to a friends 60cs tonite, the map screen was completely empty.

Any ideas?

It should display but it might not look good. Some Nuvi models display the contour lines with thickness. At some zoom levels they nearly cover everything else on the map. I can't recall how Ibycus displays on my 765T but I know it works. There should be no other trouble.

Okay, I just tried 4.0 on a 255WT and it works okay. The contour lines are a little thicker and darker colour than I like but it works and should be usable.

...ken...