Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

Oh, yeah, of course it has to be micro. He meant any data capacity. (i.e., 1GB, 4GB, etc.)

Sometimes devices have odd limitations, where they can't support a card larger than a certain capacity -- the Oregon 450 does not have this problem.

Edited by Westacular

I have been searching everywhere for the 3.1 version. I just can't find it. I have donwloaded the 2.1 version, and it looks great. I would, however, like to get a hold of the 3.1 version.

Can an yone point me in the right direction? Trust me, I have done a search. I just can't locate a working torrent.

Thanks.

I have been searching everywhere for the 3.1 version. I just can't find it. I have donwloaded the 2.1 version, and it looks great. I would, however, like to get a hold of the 3.1 version.

Can an yone point me in the right direction? Trust me, I have done a search. I just can't locate a working torrent.

Thanks.

I understand from an earlier post that it's available by purchasing a $25 DVD from Ibycus although not yet via torrents.

http://ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

2.1 is still pretty darn good. If you already have it, check it out.

On the previous page of posts I wrote up a mini-review of the differences between 2.1 and 3.1. Note that the source data sets are different between the two, for better or for worse.

For my needs (off-road detail) in my part of the country (Alberta), I'm sticking with 2.1.

While searching, I kept coming up with 3.1 torrents, but none of them worked. I guess these torrents are virus attempts rather than official releases by Ibycus.

I do have the 2.1 installed, and I am very impressed with the detail and usability. I will stick with this for now, and then send the 3.1 on DVD if needed.

Thanks for the help.

I'm a little bored. I'm trying to decide what area to make some topo maps for that I can load to my Garmin GPS.

I have the data downloaded for 031, 032, 033, 034, 042, 043, 044, 052, 053, 054, 062, 063, 064, 072, 073, 074, 082, 083, 084, 092, 093, 094, 102, 103.

I've already built 082, 083, 084 (they need some work, but I can't get them to upload and replace the originals, so I'm leaving those to one side for now).

First person to reply asking for an NTS grid in the above list, I'll build the topo maps for (and put them online). Anyone have any suggestions?

This link http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/browse.do...p;decoupage=50k shows the NTS grid system for Canada, showing the areas covered by each of the above squares.

When I click on your link, it says that the maps are not available.

That posting you replied to is 3 years old. If you're looking to browse an NTS grid, you can find one here.

Are you new to the Ibycus topo maps? If so, he's already built them for nearly the entire country. You can download v2.1 using a bittorrent client. The following 3 videos on youtube were very helpful to me when starting out.

I'm currently in the process of burning copies of 3.2. Version 3.2 includes new roads relative to version 3.1. (For the exact status of the roads in this version, see http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/data/nrn/status.html )

I'll get a torrent going fairly soon, I just want to avoid a repeat of what happend with 3.0, so I'd like a few people to try it first (for those in and around Calgary, 3.2 is now in the cache on my doorstep).

Had a few minutes to spend on it, so I figured I'd get the torrent going. Probably just being over-cautious..

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/IbycusTopo32.iso.torrent

Hmmmmm this link leads me nowhere

The link requires a BitTorrent client to use - it won't open in your web browser. Here's a link to a bunch of different BitTorrent clients, choose one for your system. A lot of people I know are happy with uTorrent or Azereus(Vuze)

The link works fine for me, though the Torrent doesn't appear to be seeding just yet (could be just me though)

I'm at 42% after almost 11 hours. It shows 1 of 2 seeds connected for me.

Does anyone know how good the detail is for Labrador and Newfoundland in this version. We're planning a trip there in about 2 weeks and would like the best maps available. Esp for the trip across Labrador.

I'm at 42% after almost 11 hours. It shows 1 of 2 seeds connected for me.

Does anyone know how good the detail is for Labrador and Newfoundland in this version. We're planning a trip there in about 2 weeks and would like the best maps available. Esp for the trip across Labrador.

If you send me some lat/lons I can send you a screen shot if you'd like.

For the moment, as I said, the only complete version is on my home PC, which can take a long time to upload 4GB.

Dale

i have the 3.0 ibycus topo maps and am seeding actively. i can provide the .torrent file here if people are interested, but i don't know how much of a difference there is between 3.0 and 3.2. (edit: after seeing which thread i'm in, i realized that probably won't be necessary :D)

will try to download 3.2 myself now. my server is on a rather fast line, hopefully that will (eventually) boost things for everybody.

Edited by dfx

The link works fine for me, though the Torrent doesn't appear to be seeding just yet (could be just me though)

Well, almost fine... A couple nitty-gritty issues:

Ibycus' server is sending the torrent file as Content-Type: text/html, which means browsers try to read it directly (and display a bunch of gibberish) instead of offering to save the file.

Also, the torrent rather unnecessarily lists 63 different trackers... only 4 of which are responsive and actually tracking this torrent.

Ibycus' server is sending the torrent file as Content-Type: text/html, which means browsers try to read it directly (and display a bunch of gibberish) instead of offering to save the file.

Also, the torrent rather unnecessarily lists 63 different trackers... only 4 of which are responsive and actually tracking this torrent.

ah, very observative :)

here's an updated torrent file, with the unresponsive trackers removed and the openbittorrent tracker added. picks up the peers right away for me, and is also served out with the right mime type.

http://dfx.at/gc/IbycusTopo32.iso.torrent

3% done for me, only 10 more hours to go :D

Edited by dfx

here's an updated torrent file, with the unresponsive trackers removed and the openbittorrent tracker added. picks up the peers right away for me, and is also served out with the right mime type.

3% done for me, only 10 more hours to go :)

Switched my torrent to this one and yup, the horses have left the barn. I see some transfer activity now :D

ah, very observative :)

3% done for me, only 10 more hours to go :unsure:

Thank you very much dfx that solved my problem :D<_<

Not sure what client you guys are using these days, but trackers really should not be needed.... DHT.

not all clients support DHT. what makes it worse is that there's two different DHT implementations, incompatible to each other.

Maybe I'm suggesting that if you are using a non-DHT client, it is time to change....

yeah well, tell me a command line unix client that supports DHT and is straightforward to use like the one i use now...

Yeah, I'd like to hear about one too ... I'm currently running MLDonkey on my Linux box for downloading ... particularly things that take 2 days to download. While I have a Windows machine, it's my laptop and I'd rather not leave that sitting powered up for the download.

MLDonkey doesn't support DHT, but uTorrent is apparently coming for Linux later this summer. Hopefully it has a daemon mode.

Mapsource itself also runs acceptably well with Wine.

actually i tried mapsource (in a virtualbox'd xp, not in wine) and couldn't figure out how to open the maps. i guess i'd have to run the installation routine of the maps itself, but i didn't wanna do that. with qlandkarte, i can directly open the maps, select the tiles i want and export to .img. totally painless.

Finished downloading, left seeding for the day. Installed no problem. Will have to try on my Dakota in a bit.

First impressions - nice. There are a few wedges here and there and the contour lines are alittle further apart than in 2.1 in SE Manitoba canoe country.

Thanks!

Pardon this silly question, but how do I uninstall the old maps? I don't see an uninstaller in Add/Remove programs

Actually, not a silly question. I didn't write an uninstaller for these (why would you ever want to uninstall :D ? ). Included in version 3.2 is a copy of Cypherman's "MapsetToolKit" (under the advanced folder). You can use it to remove the maps from Mapsource. Once that is done, you can just delete the files.

Dale

Firstly, thanks for your work and dedication Ibycus. I have been comparing 2.1 and 3.2, New-Brunswick region and version 2.1 has a more complete backwoods trail data. Since I snowmobile and 4wheel these trails, I will stick with 2.1. I go between Ibycus 2.1 and Garmin topo 4 on my GPSMAP 60Cx and couldn't be happier. It is a shame the garmin topos do not have the colors for wooded and field areas like the Ibycus maps. Keep up the good work Dale. Hope you don't mind me promoting your 2.1 version mapset instead of the 3.2.

Ok I've downloaded it...dnloaded 7-zip.I rt click on it and under the 7-zip option the extract to ibycus 3.2 is not there.The options are

Add to archive

Compress and email

Add to "torrent.7z"

Compress "torrent.7z" and email

Add to "torrent.zip"

Compress to torrent.zip" and email

What do I click here or have I done something wrong.

Edited by Burgeogull

it's not a zip archive, it's an ISO image, which is a CD/DVD image. so you can either burn it to DVD (burn as image), or mount it locally on a virtual DVD drive (for example with daemon tools), or extract the files locally with a tool that understands ISO, such as winrar.

Firstly, thanks for your work and dedication Ibycus. I have been comparing 2.1 and 3.2, New-Brunswick region and version 2.1 has a more complete backwoods trail data. Since I snowmobile and 4wheel these trails, I will stick with 2.1. I go between Ibycus 2.1 and Garmin topo 4 on my GPSMAP 60Cx and couldn't be happier. It is a shame the garmin topos do not have the colors for wooded and field areas like the Ibycus maps. Keep up the good work Dale. Hope you don't mind me promoting your 2.1 version mapset instead of the 3.2.

Would others care to comment on the trail information? In Alberta, I use Red90's trail maps, which I can't even come close to as far as trail data goes.

I could in theory extract the trail data from the old dataset, and create an overlay, or potentially overlay it directly on to my maps. The only thing is, this might lead to duplication in some areas.

Another possibility (and one I like much better) is to seed some local trails projects with the Government datasets, assuming I can find an interested maintainer in a given area. The basics of making these maps can be found in some videos I put together on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/ibycus314).

Dale

Ibycus, I too would like to thank you for your hard work and time in producing these maps. I have been using V2.1 for the past few years in my 60cx and have found the maps to be very useful

I recently downloaded V3.2 and found the while some roads in developed areas have been added, I was disappointed to find that most logging roads in the areas I frequent are missing.

These screen-shot show the difference between the two versions and are representative of a much larger area of the BC Coast and areas in northern BC that I visit. The center of these maps are approx N49 29.155 W123 37.965

Version 2.1

Ibycus21.jpg

Version 3.2

Ibycus32.jpg

Edited by Tiagra885

Ibycus, I too would like to thank you for your hard work and time in producing these maps. I have been using V2.1 for the past few years in my 60cx and have found the maps to be very useful

I recently downloaded V3.2 and found the while some roads in developed areas have been added, I was disappointed to find that most logging roads in the areas I frequent are missing.

These screen-shot show the difference between the two versions and are representative of a much larger area of the BC Coast and areas in northern BC that I visit. The center of these maps are approx N49 29.155 W123 37.965

That is quite the difference. I'll have a look in to it, and see if I can figure out where the extra data was coming from...

Dale

That is quite the difference. I'll have a look in to it, and see if I can figure out where the extra data was coming from...

Dale

Think I figured out where that data is missing... are there any other areas with things other than forest roads missing?

Dale