Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

I downloaded Version 3 and started the install this morning. I had to leave before the install was complete so I left it running. When I returned the install program had closed itself. There's a new folder in program files with a whole bunch of map files in it, but mapsource doesn't list them. Any idea what went wrong or how to fix it?

Are you sure there is not a listing "Ibycus Topo 3.0" in the map list in Mapsource?

If not, run the install again.

No Ibycus Topo in the map list :)

The install program won't run again :D

I'm a little bored. I'm trying to decide what area to make some topo maps for that I can load to my Garmin GPS.

I have the data downloaded for 031, 032, 033, 034, 042, 043, 044, 052, 053, 054, 062, 063, 064, 072, 073, 074, 082, 083, 084, 092, 093, 094, 102, 103.

I've already built 082, 083, 084 (they need some work, but I can't get them to upload and replace the originals, so I'm leaving those to one side for now).

First person to reply asking for an NTS grid in the above list, I'll build the topo maps for (and put them online). Anyone have any suggestions?

This link http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/browse.do...p;decoupage=50k shows the NTS grid system for Canada, showing the areas covered by each of the above squares.

It would be great to get the Topo maps of Vancouver island. I had your maps before and they were great. Thanks

The install program won't run again :P

Could you provide more details as to what happens when you try to install? Perhaps try an uninstall first.

I get an error message which reads, "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately."

I tried clicking continue, but after a moment the error message appers again. I really didn't want to have to download another program to uninstall the maps as my internet connection on this computer is really slow. But I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Depending on the version of the maps, there may or may not be an uninstall included in the download. The quickest/easiest solution is to use MapsetToolkit to remove the offending mapset from the registry (after which you can remove any of the associated files). MapsetToolkit can be downloaded from http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/ , and is pretty easy to use. Let me know if you have any trouble with it.

Dale

I've got 3.0, there is no uninstaller :P

Use mapsettoolkit then. It is a small, simple program.

http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/

I suspect, though, that your computer has other problems that need to be fixed.

Well, because the maps did not install properly, mapsettoolkit doesn't recognize them as being installed and therefore will not uninstall them.

I tried using mapsettoolkit to install just one map file. When I open mapsource after this there was an option to switch to that map. However, when I did switch to the map all I saw was a bunch of grey boxes. When I tried to zoom out to see if one of the boxes had a map in it mapsource crashed.

I tried to install all the map files using mapsettoolkit but that failed too. I don't remember the exact error message. Somethink like Conversion Failed.

My computer is brand new, just got it this month. I sure hope it doesn't have problems already. Could there be a compatiblity problem with Windows 7?

I had verion 1.33 of Ibycus' maps installed on my old computer. I remember it being a real pain to get it to work when I installed it then too. But it was worth it once it finally worked. I spent the weekend geocaching and hiking so I didn't have any time to spend trying to sort this out.

Which version of Windows 7 do you have? 32-bit or 64-bit?

There are numerous reports of problems with Mapsource and Win 7, many more for the 64-bit version than the 32-bit. The zoom-out-and-crash thing is a commonly reported problem under Win 7.

...ken...

I've been running Windows 7 x64 for nearly a year now with little problem. The only issue I have with Mapsource is that it seems to hog memory until it crashes. It isn't cleaning out it's cache when it fills.

Which version of Windows 7 do you have? 32-bit or 64-bit?

There are numerous reports of problems with Mapsource and Win 7, many more for the 64-bit version than the 32-bit. The zoom-out-and-crash thing is a commonly reported problem under Win 7.

...ken...

I've been running Windows 7 x64 for nearly a year now with little problem. The only issue I have with Mapsource is that it seems to hog memory until it crashes. It isn't cleaning out it's cache when it fills.

I've been running MapSource on Windows 7 32-bit on 3 computers since July 2009 and haven't noticed any stability issues with MapSource.

Sounds like it has not installed then and there is nothing to uninstall.

There is either a problem specific to your computer or the programs do not work in Win7, 64 bit. Unfortunately running any applications on any 64 bit Windoze operating systems is very hit and miss.....

The "install" is VERY simple. All it is is adding a few registration keys. I could send you a REG file to do the changes if you want.

Before I start downloading 3.0 I would like to know what do you think of it?

Does it have alot more details (trails/off roads) than 2.1?

That was something that I like about 2.1 in alot of areas it shows atv trails and old roads not present with City Navigator of course.

Wait for 3.1. Those who have downloaded 3.0 found some issues fairly quickly. Ibycus is working on them and will release the next version when he gets them licked.

...ken...

Just thought I'd add a couple "Official" comments to this thread:

The known issues with 3.0 are as follows:

1. As was quickly found the solid blue rivers/lakes streams come up white in Mapsource. This does not seem to happen on any GPSrs (as far as I've been told).

2. There exists a bug in the setup program that causes a crash when you try to browse to set your install location. Work around --- accept the default.

Currently working on 3.1, and expect to have it out relatively soon (thought I'd have it out by now, but I discovered a new bug based on some changes that I'd made).

Dale

1. As was quickly found the solid blue rivers/lakes streams come up white in Mapsource. This does not seem to happen on any GPSrs (as far as I've been told).

2. There exists a bug in the setup program that causes a crash when you try to browse to set your install location. Work around --- accept the default.

Currently working on 3.1, and expect to have it out relatively soon (thought I'd have it out by now, but I discovered a new bug based on some changes that I'd made).

Dale

Just curious, as I am new to the forums and GeoCaching, where can I find this? I use the Garmin 60CSX and have Topo for US but live in BC. It would therefore be very useful to have more detailed maps of our area. Thanks

Okay, I down loaded the utorrent program and then the Ibycus 21 topo.zip into it. It was saved by default to Owner/ downloads. I clicked on this and burn it to a disc. I then opened mapsource-open-file and go to the f:drive and click on the Ibycus 21 topo.zip. an error message pops up that it is not a valid mapsource file and cannot be opened. What did I do wrong?

Okay, I down loaded the utorrent program and then the Ibycus 21 topo.zip into it. It was saved by default to Owner/ downloads. I clicked on this and burn it to a disc. I then opened mapsource-open-file and go to the f:drive and click on the Ibycus 21 topo.zip. an error message pops up that it is not a valid mapsource file and cannot be opened. What did I do wrong?

Try following the videos on Youtube from Ibycus. They're very clear.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I get an error message which reads, "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately."

I tried clicking continue, but after a moment the error message appers again. I really didn't want to have to download another program to uninstall the maps as my internet connection on this computer is really slow. But I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

I have the same problem. Running XP

Edited by Vandaboy

I have not put the maps on my GPS unit but I did also have the same issue with large bodies of water. I will try them on my GPS to see if they come out (sounds like they will). That's fine for me since I don't use Mapsource except to send maps :wub:

Hi Dale,

Is 3.1 coming soon?

Pierre

Dale

Its out, and available through the mail (or off my doorstep), but I haven't gotten around to setting up the torrent for it yet.

Oooh! I must be the first kid on my block to have 3.1 then. (I got the DVD in the mail; thanks Dale.)

Guess I'd better install it and check it out. (Suddenly I'm an early adopter; I'm not used to that.)

I'll give my impressions of 3.1 while everybody's waiting.

First off, he fixed the bug that prevented you from installing to a non-default location. Thank goodness; I keep all my data on a network drive, and my C: drive is full full full.

I spent some time comparing 2.1 and 3.1 back and forth in MapSource. The basic topographic data (contours) looks roughly the same in both.. Streets are a little newer in 3.1. 3.1 has named streets in Ontario; 2.1 didn't. Both versions have named streets in Alberta.

Surprisingly, 3.1 has less detail for miscellaneous points of interest and trails / minor roads / cutlines. Named mountain peaks for example; 3.1 has some, 2.1 has lots. 2.1 shows the full Skyline and Watchtower trails near Jasper, but 3.1 only shows a few km of the Maligne Lake end of it. Of the oilfield service roads near Lodgepole, AB (where I visited a remote cache last year), 2.1 shows more - but different - roads than 3.1; I have no idea which dataset is more accurate, but the data in 3.1 looks "cleaner"; I suspect some of the 2.1 roads are phantoms that don't really exist. (Two parallel roads in the bush? Why would that be?) 2.1 shows some forest roads near Nordegg, AB that I remember mountain-biking on; 3.1 doesn't show them.

I think I'll load both 2.1 and 3.1 into my unit and do some comparisons when I'm out in the field...

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I think he mentioned it earlier that he was cutting out some of the data that comes from the NTDB. In a lot of places it overlaps the newer street data. In my experience, it was very out of date and not very accurate, so I'm happy it is gone. Of course, this may be different in other areas.

The OpenStreetMap project looks like it's made a ton of progress, and there are both pre-made Garmin maps based on it and detailed DIY instructions:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin

To add to this... if you don't want to mess around with a bunch of programs, you could give this a try.

http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Granted, they're not topo maps, but you know the roads will be accurate since it's based off the OpenStreetMaps.

Granted, they're not topo maps, but you know the roads will be accurate since it's based off the OpenStreetMaps.

... ish. The OSM data around here was loaded up from GeoGratis and other Canada Government data site so it'll likely be the same. Where you may get some benefits are the newer roads that haven't been added to these sites.

I found a lot of the routing data was problematic around the Greater Toronto Area last time I tried the OSM maps on my Colorado.

Not really surprising; the devil's in the details when it comes to efficient routing, and it requires some hidden variables about the mean effective traffic speed that can't be inferred just from the road's location and size.

Until this thread, I didn't even realize that the format for routing data in Garmin maps had been reverse engineered? It would be neat to see some other things use this.

For example: when biking or walking somewhere new, it would be awesome if I could have the GPS give me turn-by-turn directions for the on-road segments without constantly complaining when I'm on a non-road multipurpose trail (of which KW has a few, and are often more direct and faster than any road). This is mostly wishful thinking, though; I doubt Garmin will be adding routable trails to its offerings anytime soon, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the units cannot bridge two different mapsets when performing routing (which would mean that even if, say, your Ontario Trail Maps were routable, it wouldn't help much.)

Not really surprising; the devil's in the details when it comes to efficient routing, and it requires some hidden variables about the mean effective traffic speed that can't be inferred just from the road's location and size.

Until this thread, I didn't even realize that the format for routing data in Garmin maps had been reverse engineered? It would be neat to see some other things use this.

For example: when biking or walking somewhere new, it would be awesome if I could have the GPS give me turn-by-turn directions for the on-road segments without constantly complaining when I'm on a non-road multipurpose trail (of which KW has a few, and are often more direct and faster than any road). This is mostly wishful thinking, though; I doubt Garmin will be adding routable trails to its offerings anytime soon, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the units cannot bridge two different mapsets when performing routing (which would mean that even if, say, your Ontario Trail Maps were routable, it wouldn't help much.)

cGPSMapper has had routing support for a long time now, the least expensive licence for routing support is $300 USD (for non commercial use). A little something to remember next time you pick up a 'free' routable map ... :)

I believe you are correct - Garmin receivers won't support routing across different mapsets so making the OTP routable wouldn't really make a lot of sense..... but we could discuss this over in the torontogeocaching.com forums instead of cluttering up Ibycus' thread.

I found a lot of the routing data was problematic around the Greater Toronto Area last time I tried the OSM maps on my Colorado.

Unfortunately we in Canada are still a year or two behind OSM in Europe. Although most if not all Canadian roads have been imported into OSM from gov't databases (with the permission of the gov't), routing is still iffy as you say. The major reason being not all intersections have been correctly marked as intersections in OSM. The result that the routing software doesn't always know it can make a turn from street A onto avenue B.

The answer of course is to get more people to log in to openstreetmap.org and fix up the roads and intersections in their own regions.

Angus

For example: when biking or walking somewhere new, it would be awesome if I could have the GPS give me turn-by-turn directions for the on-road segments without constantly complaining when I'm on a non-road multipurpose trail (of which KW has a few, and are often more direct and faster than any road).

Many walking/biking maps for Gamin units have been created from OSM data over the past 2 years. My preference happens to be http://openmtbmap.org/ but there are several others. I've used them in my etrex vista for several trips to the UK. They get you from town to town via minor roads and designated cycling paths.

Unfortunately openmtbmap doesn't include maps for North America, but he does provide simple instructions for generating your own, which I've done for BC and AB without any problem and they work great..

Angus

I've got these maps, but to get them onto my GPS I need a microSD card. I can only find microSDHC cards. according to some website, you can use microSD cards if you have something that runs microSDHC cards but not the other way around. Is this true? If so then can an Oregon 450 accept microSDHC cards?