Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

Cool! Expect an update soon.... I've wanted to get this in there for a while, and I'm all set with my base files for at least a beta of 3.0, so I'll try and get the roads adding in tonight, then compiling --- hopefully I'll have an update by Monday.

Dale

Thanks Dale for all your efforts :-)

I just bought a GPSmap 60Cx, so now I can use your topo maps.

(I've sent you a donation)

One question - I noticed that in BC there seems to be a mix of 1:250,000 tiles and 1:50,000 tiles, even though there are 1:50,000 datasets available for the areas covered by the 1:250,000 tiles. Will "version 3.0" have all the 1:50,000 tiles that are available?

One question - I noticed that in BC there seems to be a mix of 1:250,000 tiles and 1:50,000 tiles, even though there are 1:50,000 datasets available for the areas covered by the 1:250,000 tiles. Will "version 3.0" have all the 1:50,000 tiles that are available?

You may be confusing the tile size from the data.... I do not believe he is using any 1:250000 data.

Where possible (filesize is <8 MB) he has combined the 16 1:50000 maps into a single file. This cuts down on the number of map tiles that you need to upload.

Where possible (filesize is <8 MB) he has combined the 16 1:50000 maps into a single file. This cuts down on the number of map tiles that you need to upload.

Thanks for explaining that. I was wondering why some tiles were 16 segments large but the scale seemed to be the same. I figured it must have something to do with the amount of detail because it's all large tiles out here on the Prairies but lots of areas in the mountains with small tiles. Now I know. Thanks.

...ken...

Ooops, should have mentioned that. The size of the file I downloaded was 3,181,512kb; I'm using Firefox 3.0.

Hi all,

I must say; informative thread and GREAT work Ibycus!

I seem to have the same issues as above, the dl seams to come in fine but only 3.03g- no setup.exe

Ibycus or anyone, is there anyway to fix this zip file? It took 12.5hr and all my bandwidth :anibad:

I'm using winrar and mapsource6.15.6 Are these the issues?

WinRar Would be the issue. It doesn't like the really big file. Unzip with something else. (WinZip, 7Zip, built in Windows unzipper)

A request for missing maps...if you have the time. Thanks.

Missing%20Data.jpg

Full%20data.jpg

I believe they are 86L1,5,6,7,8,9,11,12. 86K11,12,13,14,15. 86N4.

Hey, this is a problem with lack of data (I'm fairly sure). These may be purely 'water' tiles, and so no published map for them. Its also possible that they *might* be included in the CanVec set --- we'll see.

Dale

Ooops, should have mentioned that. The size of the file I downloaded was 3,181,512kb; I'm using Firefox 3.0.

Hi all,

I must say; informative thread and GREAT work Ibycus!

I seem to have the same issues as above, the dl seams to come in fine but only 3.03g- no setup.exe

Ibycus or anyone, is there anyway to fix this zip file? It took 12.5hr and all my bandwidth :anibad:

I'm using winrar and mapsource6.15.6 Are these the issues?

WinRar Would be the issue. It doesn't like the really big file. Unzip with something else. (WinZip, 7Zip, built in Windows unzipper)

Thanks for the input Ibycus, but it is still not working

I unzipped with built in MS unzip and click setup....hangs(not responding)

Maybe I'll try another zip prog while I wait for the iso

I think setup.exe is corrupt/missing on my reg zip file though

I'm downloading the iso now

I really hope its not the PB torrent

What little of your work I've seen is outstanding!

.... I hope to see more soon :o

Cheers

.... I hope to see more soon :anibad:

Cheers

Hmmmm.... If it unzipped without error, I'm guessing the file is *not* corrupted, so something else is probably going on.

Right now, I'd just try installing using "MapsetToolkit", rather than fiddle around trying to get another copy which will likely work the same.

.... I hope to see more soon :)

Cheers

Hmmmm.... If it unzipped without error, I'm guessing the file is *not* corrupted, so something else is probably going on.

Right now, I'd just try installing using "MapsetToolkit", rather than fiddle around trying to get another copy which will likely work the same.

Got it with 7zip

Thanks again, now I just have to get it on my Meridian Gold

Any tips for easy conversion?

I don't have mapsend yet

I just bought mapsend topo Canada before I found your software and am still waiting for delivery

Cheers

Got it with 7zip

I don't have mapsend yet

I just bought mapsend topo Canada before I found your software and am still waiting for delivery

Cheers

There is no easy way to turn the maps into Magellan format. It is a huge amount of work.

Got it with 7zip

I don't have mapsend yet

Cheers

There is no easy way to turn the maps into Magellan format. It is a huge amount of work.

Is there a step by step tutorial?

@ Ibycus I can't seem to find 1041508 (1041H08)? Am I blind or have I lost it some how?

Or is it just not available?

There is never really easy to anything without some kind of effort. It will be fun to try anyway.

Also can anyone tell me the cmd line path to get a text file to cGpsmapper? I saved the mp file to text too

Will that work?

Thanks for the reply Red

Have a good day all

Just drag and drop the .mp file over cgpsmapper.

If you just run cgpsmapper on the command line with nothing else, it brings up a description of the command line formatting.

Here is what you need to know about the Magellan conversion: http://www.msh-tools.com/magellanmapseng.html I do it for my maps... It is a convoluted procedure and the maps do not turn out that great compared to on a Garmin....

What is the latest version of Ibycus topo (2.1?)

That is the latest version that I've released. I'm working on 3.0, but I've stalled on it due to outside matters (life).

I hear where you're coming from. But to be honest, I am excited to see ver 3 whenever you have time to complete it. I find your topo more detailed than the Garmin equivalent. Take care of yourself first.

I'm not sure when this happened - perhaps with the 3.41 beta that I'm using on my Oregon 300 - but it seems that for some reason Ibycus' Tops Maps have started overlaying on top of the Geocache icons on the unit. I am using the Garmin Colorado/Oregon Export GSAK Macro to get them on my GPS. Any ideas?

Then complain to Garmin. It is not a problem with the maps.

I agree with Red90 on this one. The 3.2 firmware on the Colorado has the Ontario Trails Project maps painting over top of the geocache icons as well.

Just released version 3.0. For the moment, the torrent is likely to be a bit flakey, as the only seed is on my home computer :).

If you're fed up waiting for the torrent to grow, I can mail you a DVD.

The URL for the torrent file is http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/IbycusTopo30.iso.torrent (hopefully all my firewall settings etc. are OK...).

Dale

**edit: Suppose I should tell you some of the new features:

Updated roads (of course), including road names in Ontario.

Road data is as follows:

Province / Territory| Edition| Release Date| Validity Date| Number of km

British Columbia 6.0 2009-05 2009-03 79,238

Alberta 6.0 2009-05 2008-10 231,569

Saskatchewan 3.0 2008-12 2008-12 250,459

Manitoba 3.0 2008-11 2008-04 87,960

Ontario 5.0 2009-08 2009-08 234,962

Quebec 2.0 2007-06 2002-11 148,108

New Brunswick 2.0 2007-06 2003-06 31,830

Prince Edward Island 8.0 2009-05 2008-12 6,760

Nova Scotia 7.1 2009-08 2009-02 46,038

Newfoundland and Labrador 6.0 2009-08 2009-07 21,504

Yukon 7.0 2009-07 2009-02 6,043

Northwest Territories 5.0 2009-10 2008-09 5,374

Nunavut 4.0 2009-05 2006-09 916

New datasource (I'm now using the CanVec data source as opposed to the NTDB datasource). This datasource has a wider coverage area than the NTDB data, and seems to be better maintained. It had to be done, but basically meant going back to square one on the maps, and had to rebuild all the associations)

The up side is, there are several hundred megs more data in this version than in the old version.

**note: the above link will only work if you have a bit torrent client installed. I use utorrent from http://www.utorrent.com.

Edited by ibycus

How do I download this using utorrent?? when I click the link I just get a lot of gibberish

Try saving the target to a file, and then running it. It seems there may be a problem with MIME types on my server and torrent files. (so it gets recognized as ASCII, rather than binary).

Dale

How do I download this using utorrent?? when I click the link I just get a lot of gibberish

I got the same but then in the torrent I clicked on open URL and cut and pasted the link and it seems to have worked at least I hope it worked. First time that I'm using a torrent for downloading anything.

After 24 hours I am at 55%, sure is going slow.

I've downloaded version 3.0 and I'm having some problems. Namely, lakes and large bodies of water are not appearing even when I zoom in all the way.

Canada

iglzwi.jpg

Barrie - Lake Simcoe

29yqknr.jpg

Previously I used Ibycus 2.1 and it worked perfectly.

Current version of Mapsource being used is Version 6.15.7

Map detail set on "highest".

Anyone else have this problem?

[Downloading now...does it save as an .iso file then I just put it on my sd card??

Once I get it I will seed all week as well!!

Burn the iso file to a dvd. Most dvd burning programs have an option labeled as "burn iso to dvd".

From there run the setup program. Afterwards it will be accessible via mapsource.

Edited by notnormal

I've downloaded version 3.0 and I'm having some problems. Namely, lakes and large bodies of water are not appearing even when I zoom in all the way.

Canada

I can confirm that this is a bug, and that I hope to have it fixed soon. (will require a new download :D)

The problem is, the entity type I chose for lakes (Blue - Unknown) doesn't shows as white in mapsource (go figure).

Can you confirm that it does NOT show on the GPS either? Can you see *anything* else wrong with the maps? (I don't want to be going through this whole thing again in a short while).

Chew me out but I just got a mac and don't have time to read 19 pages before I head to Vancouver next week.. (and the search button doesn't like the three letter word)

Is there an option for Macs with this?

3.0 will not be available for Macs due to the above bug (I actually have a Mac version, but I'm not planning on distributing). 2.1 is available, and 3.1 will be available (when I've made it). If you really want 3.0 on the Mac, you can make it yourself using parallels and Garmin Mapconvert.

Dale

I can confirm that this is a bug, and that I hope to have it fixed soon. (will require a new download :D)

The problem is, the entity type I chose for lakes (Blue - Unknown) doesn't shows as white in mapsource (go figure).

Can you confirm that it does NOT show on the GPS either? Can you see *anything* else wrong with the maps? (I don't want to be going through this whole thing again in a short while).

I might as well syop the DL then for now....keep us posted!!

Chew me out but I just got a mac and don't have time to read 19 pages before I head to Vancouver next week.. (and the search button doesn't like the three letter word)

Is there an option for Macs with this?

I can use it on my Oregon by dragging the iso to the micro sd card that shows as a drive on my mac or use a card reader.

On my Oregon 400t I can see the lakes in blue but they are not named at all zoom levels and the name does not show at the top when the pin is on them.

For instance when you hover over Lake Simcoe it shows as "LAKE" at 3km but as "LAKE SIMCOE" at the 5km zoom.

Also in Toronto, most of the streets and highways do not show the names either on the map or when the pin is placed on them it just shows as road.

This is also true for many of the roads in other places in Ontario that I checked.

Hope this helps.

Canada

I can confirm that this is a bug, and that I hope to have it fixed soon. (will require a new download :rolleyes:)

Great job ibycus,

One other note, it seems that the elevation numbers are in feet... I will install on the Oregon 300 later to check the map (blue lakes and rivers)

Can you confirm that it does NOT show on the GPS either?

I tested it on a Legend HCX and a Dakota 20. In both cases, large bodies of water and lakes do appear when zoomed in. When zoomed out to 12km large bodies of water, like lake Ontario, disappear and it looks the same as in mapsource. I did also try changing detail setting to most.

Can you see *anything* else wrong with the maps? (I don't want to be going through this whole thing again in a short while).

Many of the trails/double tracks that were labeled as alleys in 2.1, have disappeared. They do not appear in mapsource or on the GPS. This maybe the result of using a different data source.

Ibycus 2.1 and 3.0 do not co-exist nicely with each other. In mapsource, they kind of blend together. You might be able to switch once or twice between them, and then you can't. It then results in a blending of the two. This problem went away when I uninstalled 2.1.

Also in Toronto, most of the streets and highways do not show the names either on the map or when the pin is placed on them it just shows as road.

This is also true for many of the roads in other places in Ontario that I checked.

See above. On my GPS and in mapsource all the road names appeared, and displayed correctly when clicked on.

Edited by notnormal

Many of the trails/double tracks that were labeled as alleys in 2.1, have disappeared. They do not appear in mapsource or on the GPS. This maybe the result of using a different data source.

Can anyone confirm that this is a general trend? I could potentially re-integrate one or more of the files from the NTDB dataset to 're-add' them, but I probably can't filter out what is already there, so this might result in some doubling.

Ibycus 2.1 and 3.0 do not co-exist nicely with each other. In mapsource, they kind of blend together. You might be able to switch once or twice between them, and then you can't. It then results in a blending of the two. This problem went away when I uninstalled 2.1.

Very odd. I have 2.1 and 3.0 coexisting on this machine just fine. You didn't install them in the same directory or something like that did you?

Dale

Very odd. I have 2.1 and 3.0 coexisting on this machine just fine. You didn't install them in the same directory or something like that did you?

Dale

It happens only in the newer versions of Mapsource. The "old" versions (6.13.7 and earlier) seem to be OK. It does some weird things in the new Mapsource, probably because the tile code names are the same. However, the newest Basecamp works OK, so maybe the problem will get resolved if they ever fix Mapsource....

They also do not coexist on a GPS together (at least on a Colorado), probably due to the same reason. 3.0 will not show regardless of settings if the same tile of 2.1 is on the unit. Personally, I would not worry about it, as changing the tile names would not make sense and there is no reason to have two version on a GPS.

Edited by Red90

Can anyone confirm that this is a general trend? I could potentially re-integrate one or more of the files from the NTDB dataset to 're-add' them, but I probably can't filter out what is already there, so this might result in some doubling.

I wouldn't worry about this. If it's just because of different sources, then it's not worth trying to integrate the two.

I installed them in different directories. Also it looks like Red90 has found the problem.

Edited by notnormal

Dale

It happens only in the newer versions of Mapsource. The "old" versions (6.13.7 and earlier) seem to be OK. It does some weird things in the new Mapsource, probably because the tile code names are the same. However, the newest Basecamp works OK, so maybe the problem will get resolved if they ever fix Mapsource....

They also do not coexist on a GPS together (at least on a Colorado), probably due to the same reason. 3.0 will not show regardless of settings if the same tile of 2.1 is on the unit. Personally, I would not worry about it, as changing the tile names would not make sense and there is no reason to have two version on a GPS.

I might change my format just slightly in 3.1 to avoid this issue (maybe start with a 3, rather than a 1, or something like that)

I downloaded Version 3 and started the install this morning. I had to leave before the install was complete so I left it running. When I returned the install program had closed itself. There's a new folder in program files with a whole bunch of map files in it, but mapsource doesn't list them. Any idea what went wrong or how to fix it?

I downloaded Version 3 and started the install this morning. I had to leave before the install was complete so I left it running. When I returned the install program had closed itself. There's a new folder in program files with a whole bunch of map files in it, but mapsource doesn't list them. Any idea what went wrong or how to fix it?

Are you sure there is not a listing "Ibycus Topo 3.0" in the map list in Mapsource?

If not, run the install again.