Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

Since I couldn't find a torrent for the .tgz file I decided to download direct from the website. Two days and 2.6 gigs later Firefox decides to crash. Of course I'm in Yellowknife where each GB is worth $10.00. So is there another way to get the Mac file (is there a torrent?) or should I try to download the Windows iso or zip and then convert with Garmin Map tools?

Since I couldn't find a torrent for the .tgz file I decided to download direct from the website. Two days and 2.6 gigs later Firefox decides to crash. Of course I'm in Yellowknife where each GB is worth $10.00. So is there another way to get the Mac file (is there a torrent?) or should I try to download the Windows iso or zip and then convert with Garmin Map tools?

You certainly can go the Windows File, and then unzip, convert to the Mac format if you're comfortable doing that.

If you give me a little while, I could also set up a torrent of the Mac Version (you can actually set it up yourself if you're interested in trying, as it doesn't require access to my website, just that you set up a tracker).

Just so you know though, I'm currently working on a new version, and I expect to release it within the next month or so.

This will be a major new release, using an entirely different dataset for the underlying data.

I downloaded the mac version-it took 24 hours, but no problems, opened the file, installed it and can view it in

road trip. it looks beautiful, great job!

What I can not do is transfer the ibycus topo maps to my etrex vista cx. I can transfer routes okay, and I checked the box in preferences to send map with user data, but no map...

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong or is there some other software I can use to transfer the actual topo map?

I downloaded the mac version-it took 24 hours, but no problems, opened the file, installed it and can view it in

What I can not do is transfer the ibycus topo maps to my etrex vista cx. I can transfer routes okay, and I checked the box in preferences to send map with user data, but no map...

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong or is there some other software I can use to transfer the actual topo map?

Hmmmm... Are you sure you're using the right program to send them to the GPS? I seem to recall there being a couple of different options on the Mac... I'm not sure any more which was the correct one.

Hmmmm... Are you sure you're using the right program to send them to the GPS? I seem to recall there being a couple of different options on the Mac... I'm not sure any more which was the correct one.

No I'm not sure. For the mac there is Road Trip, Base map, Map installer, training centre, etc....

Base map only works with DEM data, so that leaves road trip as the most likely candidate, it certainly displays the maps well, and allows one to transfer routes and waypoints.

There isn't a lot of documentation with these programs, or maybe I am just particularly confused today and I am missing something obvious.

Using the torrent method is the best way to download the maps.

On the Vista Cx, do you have a micro SD card in the unit? Have you chosen the map tiles that you want to send?

Good point. Nope, not on the micro SD card although there is some weird map that I have never heard of on there.

I don't know if you can select tiles in a way analogous with mapsource when you are using road trip. I can't remember how mapsource worked and I no longer have access to it.

Using the torrent method is the best way to download the maps.

On the Vista Cx, do you have a micro SD card in the unit? Have you chosen the map tiles that you want to send?

Good point. Nope, not on the micro SD card although there is some weird map that I have never heard of on there.

I don't know if you can select tiles in a way analogous with mapsource when you are using road trip. I can't remember how mapsource worked and I no longer have access to it.

Doh! I had a brain fart. You use map install, not road trip.

Thanks everybody for replying.

I downloaded the mac version-it took 24 hours, but no problems, ....

I don't know how you got it in 24 hours, I'm 24 hrs in and am showing 32% complete. Hopefully my browser won't crash this time.

Hey Ibycus, tell us more about the new version you have slated for the end of this month. Did you find data that is more detailed than gc.ca? I can't wait...

I downloaded the mac version-it took 24 hours, but no problems, ....

I don't know how you got it in 24 hours, I'm 24 hrs in and am showing 32% complete. Hopefully my browser won't crash this time.

Hey Ibycus, tell us more about the new version you have slated for the end of this month. Did you find data that is more detailed than gc.ca? I can't wait...

It will be based on the CanVec dataset, which is better maintained by the government than the dataset I was using. Also it will include updated roads through many areas of the country (unfortunately, no more road names than what I had before... I think).

I'm also going to be making the download exclusively BitTorrent (although it will be seeded from my website). Hopefully this will speed up my website (it is *painfully* slow right now, even for me to check my e-mail). I've noticed total monthly downloads have essentially dropped in half last month, so I know its hurting everyone (they went from >4TB to just less than 2TB. ).

Oh, and I *really* strongly encourage the BitTorrent download over the website download.

Dale

Edited by ibycus

Apparently, Hostmonster (that I use to host my maps) advertises a service they can't provide. I just received the following from them:

Dear Dale:

Your web hosting account for ibycus.com has been deactivated (reason: site causing performance problems).

Although your web site has been disabled, your data may still be available for up to 15 days, after which it will be deleted.

If you feel this deactivation is in error, please contact customer support as soon as possible

Apparently, Hostmonster (that I use to host my maps) advertises a service they can't provide. I just received the following from them:

Dear Dale:

Your web hosting account for ibycus.com has been deactivated (reason: site causing performance problems).

Although your web site has been disabled, your data may still be available for up to 15 days, after which it will be deleted.

If you feel this deactivation is in error, please contact customer support as soon as possible

With 2 to 4TB of traffic, I can't say I'm surprised. When you get your new web hosting setup, I'd suggest you keep the downloads to BitTorrent seeding *only* or this will just happen again.

Dear Dale:

With 2 to 4TB of traffic, I can't say I'm surprised. When you get your new web hosting setup, I'd suggest you keep the downloads to BitTorrent seeding *only* or this will just happen again.

What bugs me, is not that they pulled the plug. I can understand its a shared server, and that there is no way they can reasonably actually provide the service they advertise.

Its the *way* they pulled the plug. They claim to offer "unlimited bandwidth", and then call my use of the site 'abuse'. If they had said "Look, we can't continue to host your domain if these downloads keep up, we're sorry, but that's the way it is." and then given me some time to figure out a way to reduce them (like go to exclusively BitTorrent seeding, which I'd planned to do on the next release anyways, or move the main download location off site, or, or, or), I would have been more than happy to continue doing business with them.

But they are hitting me like its me not living up to my end of the bargain. The only thing they have offered to do is refund the remaining term of my contract with them (I'd hope so too, as they have said they won't provide the service!). All I've asked for is for them to refund the entire contract period as a show of good faith, i.e. some kind of acknowledgement that they are the ones who haven't lived up to their end of the bargain (I think I renewed some time last year, which would only be about $50 more for them).

In return, I've offered to sign someone else up with them for an extended period (I was planning on recommending them to a friend of mine who I'm helping set up their website on Sunday...needless to say, based on the way they treated me, hostmonster won't be getting my recommendation)

Dale

What bugs me, is not that they pulled the plug. I can understand its a shared server, and that there is no way they can reasonably actually provide the service they advertise.

Its the *way* they pulled the plug. They claim to offer "unlimited bandwidth", and then call my use of the site 'abuse'. If they had said "Look, we can't continue to host your domain if these downloads keep up, we're sorry, but that's the way it is." and then given me some time to figure out a way to reduce them (like go to exclusively BitTorrent seeding, which I'd planned to do on the next release anyways, or move the main download location off site, or, or, or), I would have been more than happy to continue doing business with them.

I certainly hear you there. Some kind of "you're reaching your threshold limit" warning would be nice, but it's so typical of ISPs (and cell companies) to advertise "unlimited" yet maintain some secret limit. I have unlimited data on my cell phone for $15/month with Telus. I don't dare exceed 500MB in one month though, so it's not "really" unlimited.

Good luck on your hunt for a decent web hosting location. I won't be looking at hostmonster anytime soon due to the way they yanked the rug out from under you

I believe he means that the MAC version is not being seeded ATM.

Dale, have you contacted them and talked about this? It is probably over automated and face to face communication might simply fix things up. Pull the direct downloads and setup web seeds only.

Edited by Red90

I believe he means that the MAC version is not being seeded ATM.

Dale, have you contacted them and talked about this? It is probably over automated and face to face communication might simply fix things up. Pull the direct downloads and setup web seeds only.

I spent several hours with the 'abuse' deparment about this. (Not sure why using the service qualifies as abuse, but hey...).

I managed to get them to reinstate my e-mail accounts, so at least I can respond to all the people wondering where the heck my site went.

Beyond that, they basically just want me the heck out of Dodge, which frankly I can understand. I just would have appreciated being dealt with a little more professionally on their part. A little warning would have been nice. (and I've been told that it wasn't an automatic thing. Someone had to go in there, and manually disable it...)

Dale

We have a tutorial here on loading maps (both Windows & Mac):

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...armin-gps-unit/

Hey, thanks, could've used the info last week, but it is a good resource.

Looks like I managed to download the ibycus topos just in time. This week I would be screwed.

They should still be available via bit torrent... They just aren't seeded from my website any more.

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/4492135/I...135.TPB.torrent (Zip Version)

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/4490137/I...137.TPB.torrent (ISO version)

You can get a bit torrent client from

http://www.utorrent.com (among other places)

We have a tutorial here on loading maps (both Windows & Mac):

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...armin-gps-unit/

Hey, thanks, could've used the info last week, but it is a good resource.

Looks like I managed to download the ibycus topos just in time. This week I would be screwed.

There is a way to setup RoadTrip to include maps. In the preferences, select to send maps with user data. This will then bootup MapInstaller after sending userdata to your GPS with the maptiles selected where there are waypoints, routes or tracks. You can then adjust and add other maptiles in MapInstall. It works alright with one mapset, but for multiple mapsets not so well.

There is a way to setup RoadTrip to include maps. In the preferences, select to send maps with user data. This will then bootup MapInstaller after sending userdata to your GPS with the maptiles selected where there are waypoints, routes or tracks. You can then adjust and add other maptiles in MapInstall. It works alright with one mapset, but for multiple mapsets not so well.

I tried that. Do you have to have map install open before you send the user data with road trip?

I tried that. Do you have to have map install open before you send the user data with road trip?

I didn't, MapInstall opened automatically after sending the waypoints... Edited by coggins

I didn't, MapInstall opened automatically after sending the waypoints...

I will have to try that again.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Edited by snaffle

Hello Ibycus

How can I uninstall an old version of your map (TopoMaps) from my pc?

I tried the mapupdate the other day and it did something to one of the files.

When I try to start Mapsource I get the following message.

"There is a problem with the NTDBData installation. Please re-install NTDBData and start MapSource again."

I downloaded and installed the newest maps (IbycusTopo) yesterday hoping it would take care of the problem but I still cannot get MapSource to open.

Hello Ibycus

How can I uninstall an old version of your map (TopoMaps) from my pc?

I tried the mapupdate the other day and it did something to one of the files.

When I try to start Mapsource I get the following message.

"There is a problem with the NTDBData installation. Please re-install NTDBData and start MapSource again."

I downloaded and installed the newest maps (IbycusTopo) yesterday hoping it would take care of the problem but I still cannot get MapSource to open.

Depending on the version of the maps, there may or may not be an uninstall included in the download. The quickest/easiest solution is to use MapsetToolkit to remove the offending mapset from the registry (after which you can remove any of the associated files). MapsetToolkit can be downloaded from http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/ , and is pretty easy to use. Let me know if you have any trouble with it.

Dale

"Street names are only available in the provinces/territories where the data has been released by the government. (Alberta, BC, Nova Scotia, Yukon), and will be added for the rest of the country as the data becomes available (technically the Ontario data is available, but there is a $100 access fee for the data, and a little birdy told me that it might be released publically soon anyways)."

Any ideas as to when this may be available?

If not soon, I would be willing to contribute toward the $100 access fee and am sure other satisfied users of your maps would also contribute.

"Street names are only available in the provinces/territories where the data has been released by the government. (Alberta, BC, Nova Scotia, Yukon), and will be added for the rest of the country as the data becomes available (technically the Ontario data is available, but there is a $100 access fee for the data, and a little birdy told me that it might be released publically soon anyways)."

Any ideas as to when this may be available?

If not soon, I would be willing to contribute toward the $100 access fee and am sure other satisfied users of your maps would also contribute.

I *think* it may currently be available, I just haven't (quite) worked out how to access the data (there is a whole big form I have to fill out).

Dale

Depending on the version of the maps, there may or may not be an uninstall included in the download. The quickest/easiest solution is to use MapsetToolkit to remove the offending mapset from the registry (after which you can remove any of the associated files). MapsetToolkit can be downloaded from http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/ , and is pretty easy to use. Let me know if you have any trouble with it.

Dale

The maps were installed July 2008 (not sure what version) no uninstall program in the folder.

I tried the MapsetToolkit download (only 1.62 beta available) and it will not execute.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Dale

The maps were installed July 2008 (not sure what version) no uninstall program in the folder.

I tried the MapsetToolkit download (only 1.62 beta available) and it will not execute.

Thanks for the quick reply.

What error is it giving you when you try to run it?

If you're comfortable mucking about in the system registry, I can tell you the keys to delete to get Mapsource going again, but as I'm sure you're aware, if you nuke the wrong thing in the registry, you can screw up your computer. (It isn't hard, you just have to be able to follow instructions and be sure of what you're doing, before you do it)

Dale

The error message is.

MapSetToolKit.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

AppName: mapsettoolkit.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: msvcrt.dll

ModVer: 7.0.2600.2180 Offset: 00030c17

Not really comfortable with going into the registry but willing to give it a try. :D

Is it using (run) Regedit?

Gary

I 'm looking to obtain a copy of the Canadian topo maps for my garmin. I had a look at the Ibycus web site but it appears to be down.

How do I go about contacting Dale Atkin and/or where could I go to download the map file. Mind you I would sooner like to get an actual dvd than try and sort out the download process.

Regards

I 'm looking to obtain a copy of the Canadian topo maps for my garmin. I had a look at the Ibycus web site but it appears to be down.

How do I go about contacting Dale Atkin and/or where could I go to download the map file. Mind you I would sooner like to get an actual dvd than try and sort out the download process.

Regards

It should still be available as a bit torrent if you look up on the page I believe there may be some links. There has also been some discussion around the fact that Dale is almost ready to release a new version featuring new map data.

good luck

bryan

Any updates on when your new CanVec maps will be available?

I plan to launch a beta fairly shortly. I've got it ready, just need to re-write/update the setup program (might skip that part for now). Bit of a delay as I decided to reformat my computer and load up Windows Vista (for various reasons).

oh joy! I managed to sort out the bit torrent stuff and the mapsource stuff and the gps stuff. I not have a map set with an understanding of how to get the maps onto my gps.

oh my! Getting ready for a fishing trip and I discouver the area I will be in is only available in the 1:250 000 scale or better said 031N.

As it turns out 31-N-02 is the entrance and a good chunk of one the largest provincial parks in Quebec. Lac Jean Pierre has a few large islands and they don't appear on the 031N map.

So, I've signed up at Geogratis and I have downloaded the file for 031 N 02 and there it sits.

Now, where abouts am I going to find the way to make this into a map I can use in my Garmin?

Actually, I purchaed a 2 gb memory card for the 60cx and made a map set using all of the Quebec maps and points east including Newfoundland.

Yes, it did take some time to sort that all out.

a very big PS

Thank you Mr. Ibycus for all your hard work in creating this map set. And thank you for the generosity you have shown by making this data available.

Maybe you are not a favorite at Garmin but i your defense I will state that the availability of this map set was the decising factor in the brand of gps I purchased, that being Garmin.

Too bad I cannot use these maps in my copy of Oziexplorer cause that product does seem a whole lot more complete that mapsource.

I've opened the file up in GPSMapEdit and see some more issues. I wonder if it's a limitation of the XML?

Religious Building, currently it's 0x2c00. It should be 0x2c0b or 0x6404.

Educational Buildings are set as a Man-made place (0x6400) instead of 0x2c05 or 0x6410.

Also wells should be 0x6414.

Ontario Roads have been updated at geobase:

Registered Geobase users can download the Ontario NRN dataset at no cost as

ESRI Shapefile

Geography Markup Language

Keyhole Markup Language (KML) for Google Earth (only contains National Id's, street names and place names - see attachment)

http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/news/2009/nrn-on.html

Cool! Expect an update soon.... I've wanted to get this in there for a while, and I'm all set with my base files for at least a beta of 3.0, so I'll try and get the roads adding in tonight, then compiling --- hopefully I'll have an update by Monday.

Dale

Ooops, should have mentioned that. The size of the file I downloaded was 3,181,512kb; I'm using Firefox 3.0.

Hi all,

I must say; informative thread and GREAT work Ibycus!

I seem to have the same issues as above, the dl seams to come in fine but only 3.03g- no setup.exe

Ibycus or anyone, is there anyway to fix this zip file? It took 12.5hr and all my bandwidth :)

I'm using winrar and mapsource6.15.6 Are these the issues?

I thought I was dloading the iso file but realized after the fact it was the reg. zip file

The torrent was well seeded (yesterday) and I hope not too many people downloaded it, if it is corrupt.

I really don't want to dl the iso even if I could find it... can't seem to find a good torrent anyway.

Hope I save someone the grief if we can't fix it

Thanks to all

Edit : Found active torrent but it says it's the same size as failed zip file 3.03g

Not sure if I want another failure...I'll wait for new version before I start that dl

Cheers

Edited by Davinciman