Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

Hi Ibycus, again very nice work.

Last year you helped me make a set of maps for Québec Province only with great success.

I would like to do the same with this nicer set. My first hurdle is finding the map list that would cover the province. I have the whole download already but it is a nightmare to get the info off the TDB file. Is there any list I could go to.

My memory is giving me a hard time on the procedure but I am thinking of using Mapsettoolkit to do this. Last year I had to ask too much of your time to process the whole thing.

Thanks

Defoucault

Hi Ibycus, again very nice work.

Last year you helped me make a set of maps for Québec Province only with great success.

I would like to do the same with this nicer set. My first hurdle is finding the map list that would cover the province. I have the whole download already but it is a nightmare to get the info off the TDB file. Is there any list I could go to.

My memory is giving me a hard time on the procedure but I am thinking of using Mapsettoolkit to do this. Last year I had to ask too much of your time to process the whole thing.

Thanks

Defoucault

Mapsettoolkit isn't going to help too much. The easiest solution is to get a 'rough' solution using mapsource. Basically figure out which major NTS grids are in the province, and then filter by that.

As a rough outline 012, 021, 022, 023, 024, 025, 031, 032, 033, 034, 035 are all in Quebec.

So if you wanted to seperate those tiles from the rest, go out to a command prompt, navigate to the images directory, and run the following:

mkdir QuebecTiles

copy 1012*.img .\QuebecTiles

copy 1021*.img .\QuebecTiles

etc, etc, etc

This will create a copy of all the Quebec tiles in a subfolder

Go in to the quebectiles folder, and run

dir /s /b 1*.img > ..\..\QTiles.txt

(this will create a list of all the IMG files you just copied in the \Ibycus Topo folder, and call it QTiles. You can then edit this file creatively to create your PV file (and then your TDB file should follow pretty easily from there)

If your looking for a more 'rigorous' outline of quebec, there are ways and means of getting there, but I'm thinking this will probably do for your needs.

Dale

Hi Ibycus,

I dl'ed the non-ISO version and it took a little while . . .

Unzipped it into its own folder and ran setup.exe

VB installer boxes got to just after agreement and this error popped up "Run-Time Error '91': Object variable or with block variable not set. ".

What am I doing wrong and what can I do to resolve this runtime error? It's on a Vista SP1 machine, would that have anything to do with the error?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Ibycus,

I dl'ed the non-ISO version and it took a little while . . .

Unzipped it into its own folder and ran setup.exe

VB installer boxes got to just after agreement and this error popped up "Run-Time Error '91': Object variable or with block variable not set. ".

What am I doing wrong and what can I do to resolve this runtime error? It's on a Vista SP1 machine, would that have anything to do with the error?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Shouldn't have anything to do with Vista (I've tested on Vista, and it works, although it will warn you that the install might not have completed correctly).

This sounds like a bug in my program. Something is different on your computer, than my computer (and many other computers) that is causing it to crash.

Can you send me an e-mail? And we'll try and work through this (worst case scenario, we can do a manual install, but I'd like to get the bug sorted out).

Dale

I'm in the process of uploading some tutorial videos to YouTube which explain how (step by step) to download, install and use the mapset. The first one is online at

Part 2 is now uploaded

Part 3 is currently 'processing' but will be available at

Edited by ibycus

SO, stupid question time:

If I buy me an Colorado 300 without the maps, I would be able to get these maps onto the new unit, yes?

I'm in BC, and would really only need BC topo

Should be able to. Just be aware that these don't do autorouting.

That would not be a problem. I have a nuvi to get me to the closest parking spot, and then would use the 300 to walk in. Free topo would be awesome!

Hmm... That was my understanding as well, but I've read in a few places that it was being done for custom maps in the States already. I'll try to find some links for that and post them here.

Please do! I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't been able to keep up with some of the new developments.

Hmm... That was my understanding as well, but I've read in a few places that it was being done for custom maps in the States already. I'll try to find some links for that and post them here.

As I understand it, those people have been extracting the DEM part of the files out of Topo USA and stitching it into their maps. It is not exactly legal.....

Pfffffff... legal smeagol. What else are people supposed to do when Garmin keeps the stuff top secret? Buy their version? Not bloody likely. lol. Anyway, if someone has figured out how to extract the data, then it can't be too long until somebody reverse engineers the format. Until then... we can debate the words and phrases like "not exactly" and "legal."

Pfffffff... legal smeagol. What else are people supposed to do when Garmin keeps the stuff top secret? Buy their version? Not bloody likely. lol. Anyway, if someone has figured out how to extract the data, then it can't be too long until somebody reverse engineers the format. Until then... we can debate the words and phrases like "not exactly" and "legal."

Actually there is a pretty big difference. Basically a Garmin IMG file is stored almost like a set of files. Each aspect of the file is actually a seperate sub-file. You could (fairly easily) sort out which sub-file has the DEM data, and then stuff it on to your own, custom map.

I've been told that Stan (the guy who wrote cgpsmapper) has mostly figured out how to read the DEM format. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to work out how to write the format (not as easy as one might think due to the limitations of the GPS and how the data gets parsed up.

how about any for magallan triton 300???? Canada

There is a project under way. It is slowly moving. It is a lot harder with Magellan. There are tools, they are not as nice.

http://www.magicmaps.ca/

The Triton 300 can handle both vector (.imi) and raster (.rmp) maps. It is much easier to create raster maps, and the project to create .rmp maps are moving along quite well at Magicmaps. I think all of Nova Scotia are done. The size of a map is small enough to fit into the limited internal memory of the Triton 300.

I hope you are rich Ibycus 'cause you certainly are brilliant! As stated earlier, the:

Vegetation coverage (very usefull hiking and caching around here)

- Cutlines (ditto)

- Swamps/Wetlands (ditto)

- Road data is newer.

Is very cool over the Garmin Canada topo maps. Thanks for your incredible work.

I have scanned these forums and saw mention of the Navaids, but may have missed an explanation. I show them all over isolated lakes etc, and they are large and difficult to 'see around' on my GPS screen. Is there a way to remove them or alter them?

So - I'll be in Winnipeg in a few weeks, and was thinking of doing a little caching, but I've got a Triton 300.. So magicmaps will be my best bet for Winnipeg area map data? I can always use the tools I've been using to make some maps, but if there are some that're a little more optimized and accurate, I'm all for using those. :unsure:

So - I'll be in Winnipeg in a few weeks, and was thinking of doing a little caching, but I've got a Triton 300.. So magicmaps will be my best bet for Winnipeg area map data? I can always use the tools I've been using to make some maps, but if there are some that're a little more optimized and accurate, I'm all for using those. :anicute:

For now, the raster TOPORAMA maps we have available are your best bet. I'm working on block 062 now and the areas immediately to the south, east, and west of Winnipeg are done. A graphic showing what is done can be found at http://www.magicmaps.ca/node/91.

Enjoy,

Scott

I had completely forgotten I had posted in here... My T300 broke after a few days uf very light use, so I traded her in and traded up.... Got a Garmin Vista HCx. Nice unit, but now I'm locked in a little more for maps.. I did see the Free topo data for Garmin. Is there a smaller download? If not, no big deal, just trying to save some time and hard drive space.

Hi Ibycus,

This sure is a long thread. Got two questions for ya:

1) For a new guy starting out and trying to find out what I need in this 17 page + thread, what's the condensed version as to how to get topo maps from your project onto my Garmin Etrex Legend?

2)Would I be able to just download the ones I need (New Brunswick), or would I have to download the whole nine yards?

p.s.- I already have and use Mapsourse and Easy Gps to put maps on my gps. I should also add that I am not exactly computer savy, so if something like this exists it would be terrific: "step one, click here. Step 2, click here, etc.". Lol. :blink:

Thanks!

Edited by Stroover

Hi Ibycus,

1) For a new guy starting out and trying to find out what I need in this 17 page + thread, what's the condensed version as to how to get topo maps from your project onto my Garmin Etrex Legend?

2)Would I be able to just download the ones I need (New Brunswick), or would I have to download the whole nine yards?

p.s.- I already have and use Mapsourse and Easy Gps to put maps on my gps.

Thanks!

Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/ibycus314/ . Don't trust anything you see in this thread more than about 2 pages back. A lot of it doesn't apply any more.

You'll have to download the whole thing, I suggest you use BitTorrent to download (instructions in the YouTube video).

Dale

Hi Ibycus,

p.s.- I already have and use Mapsourse and Easy Gps to put maps on my gps.

Thanks!

Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/ibycus314/ . Don't trust anything you see in this thread more than about 2 pages back. A lot of it doesn't apply any more.

You'll have to download the whole thing, I suggest you use BitTorrent to download (instructions in the YouTube video).

Dale

Whoa! Looks way over my head! Lol! I might just take a drive to Ontario for that geocache with the disk in it. Lol.

Thanks.

Whoa! Looks way over my head! Lol! I might just take a drive to Ontario for that geocache with the disk in it. Lol.

Thanks.

i thought so too, but it was soooo easy.

just d/l the torrent. burn to dvd. put the dvd in your drive, it uploads. open mapsource and use the dropdown box to select IBYCUS. connect your gps to your pc via USB cable or whatever cable you use and bam, it's there.

i put mine on a micro sd card, but it worked great.

very very easy. i recommend NOT watching the video tutorial. here are steps in easy to understand format:

1) download the file via torrent TORRENT

2) extract the file into an iso

3) burn to dvd

4) put dvd in drive, install

5) open mapsource

6) select the IBYCUS MAPS

7) upload to your GPS like you do your other maps.

thanks IBYCUS, i've been using your maps since we got our GPS a few week ago. much better than the basemaps that came with our unit.

Thanks.

i thought so too, but it was soooo easy.

just d/l the torrent. burn to dvd. put the dvd in your drive, it uploads. open mapsource and use the dropdown box to select IBYCUS. connect your gps to your pc via USB cable or whatever cable you use and bam, it's there.

i put mine on a micro sd card, but it worked great.

very very easy. i recommend NOT watching the video tutorial. here are steps in easy to understand format:

Yeah, that tutorial got a little long. I wanted something to answer pretty much every conceivable question I could get on it (so I can say 'watch the video'). Should be pretty straight forward if you do a 'do as I do' kind of thing. (for example, based on your steps, most people don't have a bit torrent client installed already, so its a non-starter for them).

As far as trail maps go, I tried to get something going a while back, but it never really took off. Trail data is notoriously hard to come by, so the main source of the data is going to be 'user collected'.

There are some good resources here:

http://forums.calgarycachers.ca/viewforum.php?f=30

If you are so inclined, it isn't too hard to build, and share your own trail maps with other users.

(see my brief video tutorial :anibad: )

Hello...I'm pretty new at this.I am dnloading your file Ibycustopo21.zip,a 3.03gb file using uTorrent.I have a Garmin 60cx and I have a couple questions...

1.I read in post a few pages back that when putting this map on my GPS that it automatically goes to the memory card.I have a 256mg card in it that's 3% full.Will I need a bigger card.

2.What areas does this file cover...all of Canada?I'm in Newfoundland...does it have all of Newfoundland.

3.What do I need to do to install this after it's dnloaded.

Thanks for any help here.

Hello...I'm pretty new at this.I am dnloading your file Ibycustopo21.zip,a 3.03gb file using uTorrent.I have a Garmin 60cx and I have a couple questions...

1.I read in post a few pages back that when putting this map on my GPS that it automatically goes to the memory card.I have a 256mg card in it that's 3% full.Will I need a bigger card.

2.What areas does this file cover...all of Canada?I'm in Newfoundland...does it have all of Newfoundland.

3.What do I need to do to install this after it's dnloaded.

Thanks for any help here.

3) install from the disc, worked with me on windows vista

2) all of canada. i just selected the grid i wanted to upload to my gps

1) i believe it asks you where you want to upload to. i put mine on my micro sd card

I don't have a dvd burner so can I install without it?

What size card would you need for all of Canada

Hey, IIRC (I don't have the maps in front of me), there is a very small area of newfoundland that actually isn't covered (its missing from the source datasets).

Yes you can install without a DVD burner. Just unzip, and run setup.exe.

You probably can't install all of canada to a card anyways. I'm fairly sure there is a 2GB limitation to the addressable memory (i.e. the GPS can't handle a single map file that covers all of Canada). You might be able to work around this problem by loading it on to the GPS in chunks, but that gets a little complicated, involving manually renaming the file once it gets sent to your GPS (and I've never tried it... or heard of anyone trying it). If you could do this, you'd need at least a 4GB card. (the maps are about 3GB, but you can't get a 3GB card).

It depends on the unit.

Most modern Garmin units now have firmware that allows maps up to 4 GB (this is the FAT32 file system limit). This is quite recent for the "X" series handhelds (around a week ago).

All Nuvis, Colorado, Oregon, 60/76"X" series, Etrex"X" series can do 4GB with the new firmware.