Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

Ok so I found another fault in Vista. Its inability to handle large file sizes. I ended up copying the IMG files from the DVD to the PC in 400 meg chunks. In the end I have all the IMG files successfully copied and 2.1 running in Mapsource.

It would appear that Vista cannot handle the 3.4G of the IMG files all at once. It appears to crash the extractor to unzip it, it crashes the installer to install it and it even crashes Windows Explorer to copy it all at once. So in the end copy it a bit at a time and it should work fine.

Thanks for all the work you have put into this Ibycus. I know there are many people that appreciate it.

Ok so I found another fault in Vista. Its inability to handle large file sizes. I ended up copying the IMG files from the DVD to the PC in 400 meg chunks. In the end I have all the IMG files successfully copied and 2.1 running in Mapsource.

It would appear that Vista cannot handle the 3.4G of the IMG files all at once. It appears to crash the extractor to unzip it, it crashes the installer to install it and it even crashes Windows Explorer to copy it all at once. So in the end copy it a bit at a time and it should work fine.

Thanks for all the work you have put into this Ibycus. I know there are many people that appreciate it.

This sounds like there may be a problem with your computer (perhaps the RAM?), rather than with Vista. I routinely copy enormously large batches of files (132GB) and work with individual files that are in the realms of 3GB each, with no trouble on vista.

If I were you, I'd consider running some stress testing apps on your computer to see if you can induce it to crash (which will help you pinpoint the cause of the problem). My primary suspect would be RAM.

Dale

This sounds like there may be a problem with your computer (perhaps the RAM?), rather than with Vista. I routinely copy enormously large batches of files (132GB) and work with individual files that are in the realms of 3GB each, with no trouble on vista.

If I were you, I'd consider running some stress testing apps on your computer to see if you can induce it to crash (which will help you pinpoint the cause of the problem). My primary suspect would be RAM.

Dale

Afterwards I did investigate further. I found it was able to handle larger files just not the 3.4G of IMG files.. I find that odd..? I will try some more stress tests. Right now I am running 2 gigs of RAM which I know is the bare minimum for Vista. I should stop being so cheap and buy another 2 gig.. :(

I do have a system monitor gadget that shows CPU & Ram load. When I was copying the 3.4G worth of IMG files in one shot the CPU load barely got above 60% and the RAM topped out at 70%..

Yes, I do agree there would appear to be another underlying issue here with my computer. Question is where to begin looking for it. ??

Alrighty, I "uninstalled" my Beta version and have started the ISO download. Right now it's clicking along at anywhere from 250KB - 350KB / second.

EDIT: I checked this morning and showed completed but it only pulled down 242MB. Trying again....

What are you downloading with? I find Firefox is much better at handling large files than IE.

Firefox 3.

(Second download attempt appears to have worked fine as I now appear to have a valid .zip file of just over 3GB in size. It's extracting now and soon I hope to mount up the ISO and do the install.)

EDIT: I mounted the ISO using Virtual Clonedrive and installed the maps. It was interesting -- if I navigated away from the install window the install would just disappear. Once I clued into that and left the install window active everything went well. I launched Mapsource and could see Ibycus Topo 2.1. Woo hoo!)

EDIT2: Turns out the install didn't "disappear", it just kept running silently in the background. After awhile I ended up getting about four of five different "completed" messages as each of the installs I launched completed. Oops.

Edited by DanOCan
You can just grab all the squares by making a box while holding down the cursor.

The other method I use for selecting all the tiles together is to select all of the waypoints I have loaded in Mapsource (CTRL+A) and then right-click and select "Select maps around waypoints." This will then select every map tile that has a waypoint in it.

Works well for me because if a tile doesn't have a waypoint/cache in it then I likely don't need the topo data anyway. (Exception is large hikes where a section between the trailhead and the destination is missing!)

Update. On less than perfect RF high speed, the fourth download attempt is now at 1656, or 53%. That's beyond the 500 something limit I or anyone else has reported on failed downloads. Patience is a virtue, as is perseverance. B)

Sorry, but I had a failed download at 3 GB..... :lol:

Having just got my Oregon I thought I would give these a shot as many locals rave about them.

Mapsource worked just fine before downloading the Ibycus Maps but now I get this

2950269831_bc987eecf0_o.jpg

I have no idea what that means but I did try re-installing Mapsource 6.14.1 but still get the same error. Should I remove Mapsource and try again? To be honest, I don't even know where the Ibycus Maps went after download since I used MapUpdater.

:lol: BQ

Having just got my Oregon I thought I would give these a shot as many locals rave about them.

Mapsource worked just fine before downloading the Ibycus Maps but now I get this

2950269831_bc987eecf0_o.jpg

I have no idea what that means but I did try re-installing Mapsource 6.14.1 but still get the same error. Should I remove Mapsource and try again? To be honest, I don't even know where the Ibycus Maps went after download since I used MapUpdater.

:lol: BQ

Which version of the maps did you download? From the error it looks like you've downloaded a pre-2.0 version, so I'd guess 1.22, which is the only one still on the site (I should really remove the link to that version, but I've been keeping it around because it was the last single file download version I made)

I'd suggest downloading "MapSetToolKit" (google the URL) and removing the entries for Ibycus Topo, and then downloading the ISO image or the ZIP image from

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/IbycusTopo21iso.zip

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/IbycusTopo21.zip

Actually MapSource 6.14.1 was popping that error with 2.0 as well, at least on my system.

MapSource 6.14.1 just seems to dislike the NTDB method of listing in the Registry. When I upgraded to MapSource 6.14.1 it rejected all of the topo products I had that used that method of registration. The only way to get it to run was to remove those Registry entries and then it was happy.

Due to that problem and the fact that it won't transfer to/from Garmin's Mobile PC application I dumped it and went back to MapSource 6.13.7.

But that's not why I dropped by. I just wanted to report that I got the .ISO download on the first try last night, burned it to DVD on the first try this morning, and then installed properly on the first try.

I see that 2.1 uses the method of registering that should make MapSource 6.14.1 happier. I also noted with this version that the elevation errors in many parts of Saskatchewan have been corrected.

Thanks a bunch for all the great work, Dale.

...ken...

Actually MapSource 6.14.1 was popping that error with 2.0 as well, at least on my system.

MapSource 6.14.1 just seems to dislike the NTDB method of listing in the Registry. When I upgraded to MapSource 6.14.1 it rejected all of the topo products I had that used that method of registration. The only way to get it to run was to remove those Registry entries and then it was happy.

Due to that problem and the fact that it won't transfer to/from Garmin's Mobile PC application I dumped it and went back to MapSource 6.13.7.

But that's not why I dropped by. I just wanted to report that I got the .ISO download on the first try last night, burned it to DVD on the first try this morning, and then installed properly on the first try.

I see that 2.1 uses the method of registering that should make MapSource 6.14.1 happier. I also noted with this version that the elevation errors in many parts of Saskatchewan have been corrected.

Thanks a bunch for all the great work, Dale.

...ken...

Hmmmm. I wonder if you had a strange version of 2.0 with some stuff hanging around from an older version, as 2.0 should have worked with 6.14. (Did you download it with a fresh copy of MapUpdate, or one that you had sitting around... I made some changes to MapUpdate with version 2.0, so that might have been it).

Not a big deal either way, as it all works now :).

"I'd suggest downloading "MapSetToolKit" (google the URL)"

This was on the C.ypherman1 website just wanted to make sure it was not missed by anyone

ATTENTION: I received an e-mail that there is a version 1.20 of MapSetToolKit.exe which is available on the internet and which contains a virus/trojan. The file would have a size of 162308 bytes (159K). The only good version is available on my Web site. Don't execute this file.

"I'd suggest downloading "MapSetToolKit" (google the URL)"

This was on the C.ypherman1 website just wanted to make sure it was not missed by anyone

ATTENTION: I received an e-mail that there is a version 1.20 of MapSetToolKit.exe which is available on the internet and which contains a virus/trojan. The file would have a size of 162308 bytes (159K). The only good version is available on my Web site. Don't execute this file.

When you get a chance, could you update the web page? I've been trying to direct people to your maps, but with the page out of date, it is a bit confusing.

Thanks!!

Which part are you refering to? I've updated the links to point to the new files (the coverage map is *way* out of date though... just noticed that...)

Dale

Have downloaded and installed Topo 2.1 into Mapsource

Now have both the 2beta and the 2.1 versions in the Mapsource map legends

Are they the same or different

If the same, how to I get rid of one of them

Appreciate comments

Regards

G.H.F.

They are different. In general 2.1 is better than 2.0. The one doesn't wipe the other out because I wanted to 'start fresh' with this version to make sure there were no interactions with previous versions (which I'd been seeing). If you download "MapsetToolkit" from cypherman's website, you can remove the references in Mapsource to the old version. You can then safely delete the program folder.

Dale

I was just building a new box, the reason I came to this forum is that I have an older version of all the Ibycus Topo .img files, and I was wondering what registry key to use so that Mapsource 6.13.7 can see them? I was using this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\NTDBData]
"BMap"="C:\\Garmin\\Maps\\ibycus\\ntdbdata.img"
"Loc"="C:\\Garmin\\Maps\\ibycus\\imgs"
"TDB"="C:\\Garmin\\Maps\\ibycus\\ntdbdata.tdb"

Mapsource gives me the "problem with Mapsource installation" message with these keys in there. I do store my maps in c:\garmin\maps, the files that are referenced do exist. Are there other registry keys that must be added as well?

In the meantime, I am downloading the 2.1 zip file :D

Thanks,

Martin

Edited by martin_nv

Have downloaded and installed Topo 2.1 into Mapsource

Now have both the 2beta and the 2.1 versions in the Mapsource map legends

Are they the same or different

If the same, how to I get rid of one of them

Appreciate comments

Regards

G.H.F.

They are different. In general 2.1 is better than 2.0. The one doesn't wipe the other out because I wanted to 'start fresh' with this version to make sure there were no interactions with previous versions (which I'd been seeing). If you download "MapsetToolkit" from cypherman's website, you can remove the references in Mapsource to the old version. You can then safely delete the program folder.

Dale

Did as you suggested - all worked fine

Thank you a bunch

Regards

G.H.F.

I was just building a new box, the reason I came to this forum is that I have an older version of all the Ibycus Topo .img files, and I was wondering what registry key to use so that Mapsource 6.13.7 can see them? I was using this:

Mapsource gives me the "problem with Mapsource installation" message with these keys in there. I do store my maps in c:\garmin\maps, the files that are referenced do exist. Are there other registry keys that must be added as well?

In the meantime, I am downloading the 2.1 zip file :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Martin

Refer to this post . Use MapSet Toolkit to unregister the 1.22 in Mapsource, or conversely, to register the files in the folder and make them show up on Mapsource.

Edited by Mag Magician

I had some initial problems with the Zip file, as my unzip crashed too. I'm running Vista on a laptop, and the unzip closed explorer with an error. I didn't realize the first time, and installed the maps not knowing that it wasn't complete (not a pretty sight!).

When I figured it out, i un-installed using Mapsettoolkit, then downloaded the unzip utility from PKZip. It ran without a hitch, and the maps installed with no problem into MapSource. I hope this helps out some of those that have had the unzip fail.

Thanks Ibycus for these great maps!!

In the meantime, I am downloading the 2.1 zip file :yikes:

Thanks,

Martin

Yeah, 2.1 is much better (these keys look like 1.22 keys). Not sure why they wouldn't work... I imagine its something silly though. (Although you will have problems if you upgrade to 6.14 when using the IMG files from pre 2.0).

The installer for 2.1 gives you the option for where to store the files.

Dale

Thanks ibycus for the great maps. I've had good results from your past maps, up to and including your 2.0beta. For the past week, I've been trying to upgrade to version 2.1 without success. The download seems to come through ok, but everytime I try to unzip both the 'zip' and the 'iso' I get the message that it cannot open the file and that it does not appear to be a valid archive. I've tried with WinZip, WinRar and PKZip and always get the same result, even after 5 or 6 tries. Any ideas?? :)

Thanks ibycus for the great maps. I've had good results from your past maps, up to and including your 2.0beta. For the past week, I've been trying to upgrade to version 2.1 without success. The download seems to come through ok, but everytime I try to unzip both the 'zip' and the 'iso' I get the message that it cannot open the file and that it does not appear to be a valid archive. I've tried with WinZip, WinRar and PKZip and always get the same result, even after 5 or 6 tries. Any ideas?? :)

Can you tell me the (exact) size of the file? I'm guessing it didn't download properly.

What are you using to download? Internet explorer will often fail on large downloads, so I don't recommend it for things like this (I use it for everything else though...).

Da;e

Ooops, should have mentioned that. The size of the file I downloaded was 3,181,512kb; I'm using Firefox 3.0.

How many bytes? It should be 3,257,929,318 bytes.

Can you calculate an MD5?

No I can't; but I used a web app to find it. Don't know if it's good or not.

The MD5 I got is: 1264e2c381e68cd27cd5fe87d706ab41.

I checked the file size through 'properites' and it reads : 3,257,867,713 bytes

Does that help?

Ooops, should have mentioned that. The size of the file I downloaded was 3,181,512kb; I'm using Firefox 3.0.

How many bytes? It should be 3,257,929,318 bytes.

Can you calculate an MD5?

No I can't; but I used a web app to find it. Don't know if it's good or not.

The MD5 I got is: 1264e2c381e68cd27cd5fe87d706ab41.

I checked the file size through 'properites' and it reads : 3,257,867,713 bytes

Does that help?

Hmmm, that MD5 and size doesn't match either of the files I have (close, but not quite), so it seems like the file is in fact corrupted somehow in the download process.

One other option, if you keep having trouble downloading, I could provide an unzipped http directory, and a file list for you to download the files one at a time (assuming you are somewhat tech savvy).

Dale

Just made some updates to the layout of the website. MapUpdate is now officially useless (I scrapped reorganized the /download/ directory). I added a number of 'version' directories which are laid out the same as they should be on the hard drive http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/2.1 is the latest version. I also have a directory for 1.22, 1.31, 1.5 and 2.0.

ibycustopo/download is now a symbolic link to the latest version.

Hope this makes things easier for some.

Edited by ibycus

Hey, thanks for the maps! For those of you looking for a Mac version, I was able to use Map Converter to convert the maps for use under OS X.

I've almost finished uploading the Mac version to the website. Turns out my upload bandwidth to the server is just really crummy, and it has very little to do with my home computer connection (uploading at the university was just as slow).

Dale

Hi

I just started the bit torrent download. Seems to be working. After 3 min I am at .5%. I will let it run overnight and update you in morning.

Baston

Had a little bit of free time today, so I thought I'd take a shot at setting up a Bit Torrent for the file.

Can someone let me know if this at least starts to download?

http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/4490137/I...137.TPB.torrent

Hi

It is now 8:40 and I am at 66% in the download.

Baston

Hi

I just started the bit torrent download. Seems to be working. After 3 min I am at .5%. I will let it run overnight and update you in morning.

Baston

Had a little bit of free time today, so I thought I'd take a shot at setting up a Bit Torrent for the file.

Hi

Baston

Glad it seems to be working. I've set it up so that it should look to the website if any parts are missing, so hopefully the torrent will be as fast, or faster than a straight website download (and it should be more reliable too).

Dale

Dale, it should be made clear to others that you require a torrent style program installed on the computer to make any sense of a bit torrent? Clicking on the link will only confuse someone not familiar.

Edit: I might just add that since I am on limited high speed with the radio access, I won't be adding to the torrent uploads. Sorry!

Edited by Mag Magician

Dale, it should be made clear to others that you require a torrent style program installed on the computer to make any sense of a bit torrent? Clicking on the link will only confuse someone not familiar.

Edit: I might just add that since I am on limited high speed with the radio access, I won't be adding to the torrent uploads. Sorry!

Good point! Yep, you need a Bit Torrent client to make use of a torrent file. One possible client can be found at http://www.utorrent.com .

Oh, and don't worry about contributing bandwidth, the main thing I'm hoping to get out of these is a more reliable download. I've set it up so that the website is a "Web seed" for the file, so there should never be problems with inaccessible file portions, and it should be at least as fast as downloading from the website. The extra bandwidth is just gravy.

Didn't have time to read through all 15 pages of requests and such.. is there a link to a download for Alberta?? I tried going to the page you linked to in the first post but the pic comes up a big red x. Would love to get some alberta topo as all my hunts for the forseeable future will be alberta finds.

Thanks so much

Didn't have time to read through all 15 pages of requests and such.. is there a link to a download for Alberta?? I tried going to the page you linked to in the first post but the pic comes up a big red x. Would love to get some alberta topo as all my hunts for the forseeable future will be alberta finds.

Thanks so much

There is no specific per province download. The whole country is downloaded in one big file (3GB).

You can download from my website at http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/, or you can follow the instructions in the last couple of posts to use BitTorrent to download the file (probably more reliable on a shakey connection).

Dale

...or you can follow the instructions in the last couple of posts to use BitTorrent to download the file (probably more reliable on a shakey connection).

Dale

I did a quick test and it comes in really fast via the torrent, so that is the way to go.

Just install utorrent and away you go. Start and stop whenever and no fear of a messed up file.

"Mac Version now available from

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/IbycusTopo21.tgz"

FYI I just finished downloading the mac version which took about 60 min. & decompressed without a hitch. Installed with MapManager with no problems.

When I loaded the chosen map section to my Oregon using mapinstall it removed one of the maps I had loaded before, namely southern Ontario from Mapsource Topo Canada. Loaded it to the micro s/d card using an external card reader.

I don't see any street names on the maps, are they supposed to show? Looking at my area in Toronto.

"Mac Version now available from

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/IbycusTopo21.tgz"

FYI I just finished downloading the mac version which took about 60 min. & decompressed without a hitch. Installed with MapManager with no problems.

When I loaded the chosen map section to my Oregon using mapinstall it removed one of the maps I had loaded before, namely southern Ontario from Mapsource Topo Canada. Loaded it to the micro s/d card using an external card reader.

I don't see any street names on the maps, are they supposed to show? Looking at my area in Toronto.

Street names are only available in the provinces/territories where the data has been released by the government. (Alberta, BC, Nova Scotia, Yukon), and will be added for the rest of the country as the data becomes available (technically the Ontario data is available, but there is a $100 access fee for the data, and a little birdy told me that it might be released publically soon anyways).

Dale