Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

Another newbie question...(is there a wiki or FAQ for the knowledge built up in this thread?)

I've trawled through this thread but, I hope(!), I can bypass some of the problems earlier posters have had.

For background:

I have a PC running XP SP2

I have Mapsource plus Topo Canada

I have a Garmin Legend HCx

I want to upload some of the IBYCUS maps (specifically 092G area to start with) onto my GPS.

I *think* I have to first download the relevant IMG files and then copy them to my Mapsource directory (which, incidentally, is on my "D" drive). Is this correct?

Can I just download the IMG files I want from here (there's only about 14 tiles):

http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.ph...092G&det=on ?

Once in Mapsource, I can then "select" the IBYCUS maps (as opposed to the TOPO Canada) and then use Mapsource to copy them over to the GPS. Is this correct?

Once on the GPS, how do I switch from TOPO Canada to IBYCUS?

I'm hoping to avoid the use of MapUpdate and/or MapUpdateBeta, or the other program required to install in directories other than c:\program files\topo...

(I guess one of the problems I may run into is not getting map updates - is this process automated at all?)

Thanks in advance

Oh, and a big thanks to IBYCUS/Dale for all the good work so far!

Another newbie question...(is there a wiki or FAQ for the knowledge built up in this thread?)

I've trawled through this thread but, I hope(!), I can bypass some of the problems earlier posters have had.

For background:

I have a PC running XP SP2

I have Mapsource plus Topo Canada

I have a Garmin Legend HCx

I want to upload some of the IBYCUS maps (specifically 092G area to start with) onto my GPS.

I *think* I have to first download the relevant IMG files and then copy them to my Mapsource directory (which, incidentally, is on my "D" drive). Is this correct?

Nope. While you *could* in theory just download the tiles you're interested in from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download1, its really much harder to do this way. Mostly because Mapsource has no idea about these maps unless you somehow tell it they exist. The easiest thing to do is to download http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download1/MapUpdateBeta.exe (or http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe if you want the old version), and then hit "Check for Updates", wait a few hours, and they should all download and install in to Mapsource for you. (You'll see them as another option in the dropdown list in the top lefthand corner). The other way is much more complicated (you have to build index files, and play with the registry to get it to work).

Can I just download the IMG files I want from here (there's only about 14 tiles):

http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.ph...092G&det=on ?

These are an older version of the tiles. If you're going to get just the IMG files, I suggest downloading them from my website http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download for version 1.5 (no road names) or http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download1 for version 2.0beta.

Once in Mapsource, I can then "select" the IBYCUS maps (as opposed to the TOPO Canada) and then use Mapsource to copy them over to the GPS. Is this correct?

Yep.

Once on the GPS, how do I switch from TOPO Canada to IBYCUS?

This is going to be GPS dependent. Generally you hit some kind of menu button on the map setup screen, and you get an option to "Show/Hide" a particular mapset. Generally my maps display under the commercial ones, so you have to hide your other mapset to make these visible.

I'm hoping to avoid the use of MapUpdate and/or MapUpdateBeta, or the other program required to install in directories other than c:\program files\topo...

(I guess one of the problems I may run into is not getting map updates - is this process automated at all?)

Can I ask why you don't want to use MapUpdate? This is how I've automated the update process. Your other option is to download the ISO image of version 1.5 at http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/IbycusTopo15iso.zip, unzip and burn as an image to a DVD. Once you've done that you can copy all the files to where ever you like, and I can walk you through a manual install if your worried about viruses/spyware etc.

Dale

edit to add: You could also use "Sendmap" to send the IMGs direct to the GPS, without going through mapsource, but then you don't get the advantage of being able to see them in mapsource.

Edited by ibycus

Can I ask why you don't want to use MapUpdate? This is how I've automated the update process. Your other option is to download the ISO image of version 1.5 at http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/IbycusTopo15iso.zip, unzip and burn as an image to a DVD. Once you've done that you can copy all the files to where ever you like, and I can walk you through a manual install if your worried about viruses/spyware etc.

Dale

I got the impression (though I don't know whether this is correct) that the MapUpdate/MapUpdateBeta cannot be configured to install the IMG files in any directory except c:\program files\topo and I've only got about 1Gb space let on my C drive!!

As long as I can install on D, I should be good to go...

I got the impression (though I don't know whether this is correct) that the MapUpdate/MapUpdateBeta cannot be configured to install the IMG files in any directory except c:\program files\topo and I've only got about 1Gb space let on my C drive!!

As long as I can install on D, I should be good to go...

MapUpdate will install to where ever your program files directory is. I've made some changes in MapUpdateBeta that will allow you to set the location of install using another program. Drop me an e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Dale

d a t k i n a t i b y c u s d o t c o m

Edited by ibycus

Will you be hosting an already converted mac version of 2.0 when it comes out of beta? (no sense doing it until then)

I'd dl the windows version and convert it myself with the garmin util, but Mac OSX is all I have so I am running the 1.33 of your maps as its all that is available...

For whatever reason, garmin in their wisdom made the conversion tool for PC rather than Mac based, it'd be better if it was OSX based.

Yes, it will work, although those units don't hold much for maps.

Instead of 1.22, you are better to down load http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/mapupdatebeta.exe and run it. This gives you the latest (and much better) maps.

(fixed URL)

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download1/MapUpdateBeta.exe

Thanks for the fast reply! I'll be sure to send a donation if I can get this running on my GPS <_<

Yes, it will work, although those units don't hold much for maps.

Instead of 1.22, you are better to down load http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/mapupdatebeta.exe and run it. This gives you the latest (and much better) maps.

(fixed URL)

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download1/MapUpdateBeta.exe

Thanks for the fast reply! I'll be sure to send a donation if I can get this running on my GPS :rolleyes:

Let me know (or post here) if you have any trouble.

Dale

Hi Ibycus,

I used the link you provided and managed to get the map files downloaded. I then downloaded img2gps which has sendmap, checked the 5 files that I want, and clicked the upload to GPS button. I'm assuming the files are now on my garmin rino, but I'm wondering how I access them. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Ibycus,

I used the link you provided and managed to get the map files downloaded. I then downloaded img2gps which has sendmap, checked the 5 files that I want, and clicked the upload to GPS button. I'm assuming the files are now on my garmin rino, but I'm wondering how I access them. Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm surprised you can't see them already. Normally the problem when people can't see the maps is they've uploaded two sets of maps, one overlaying the other. Turning off the one on top should work. Do you see the maps in the map setup screen on the GPS? (never having played with the Rino, I'm not sure where you'd go or what you'd push but you should be able to bring up a list of installed maps).

Are you sure you uploaded for the right area?

Oh, also did you only download the 5 files you wanted from the website, or did you download the whole mapset (if the whole mapset, you should be able to use Mapsource to upload).

Dale

Freak Mapsource 6.14.1 and Ibycus

* WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.

* This version of MapSource no longer supports Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows NT.

* Works with Windows Vista.

Did you know if you find some twist to fix this problem ?

Freak Mapsource 6.14.1 and Ibycus

* WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.

* This version of MapSource no longer supports Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows NT.

* Works with Windows Vista.

Did you know if you find some twist to fix this problem ?

Yep, just install "Garmin Training Center" first (this fixes the first problem... the one where you have to one a previous mapsource product, at least it should... haven't tested with 6.14.1)

Oh and I sent you an e-mail in response to your PM (I'd sent it before, but I guess it got lost in the ether).

Dale

A quick question I hope, I'm on dial up internet :anitongue:

So.......... I'm going to get a friend with high speed to download the files for me (he uses a Mac) what would be the best files to get?

I was going to get "http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/TopoMaps122.exe" since this has the installer built in for Mapsource and makes life easy, but I need the updated maps for 021 with the roads on, if i understand correctly we won't be able to run the updater so would "http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/IbycusTopo15iso.zip" and a manual install be the best option?

I've been download some files for 021 from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/ and been looking at them , they are great!

A quick question I hope, I'm on dial up internet :laughing:

So.......... I'm going to get a friend with high speed to download the files for me (he uses a Mac) what would be the best files to get?

I was going to get "http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/TopoMaps122.exe" since this has the installer built in for Mapsource and makes life easy, but I need the updated maps for 021 with the roads on, if i understand correctly we won't be able to run the updater so would "http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/IbycusTopo15iso.zip" and a manual install be the best option?

The ISO version has an installer. You just download, burn to DVD and then put in your DVD drive, and let autorun take over (or run setup.exe if you have autorun turned off).

If you'd like to run version 2.0, you can either wait for it to be out of beta (at which point I'll upload a new ISO image) or I can step you through the transfer from one computer to another (basically copy all the files, put them in \Program Files\TopoMaps and then run mapupdatebeta and it should install in to mapsource for you).

Let me know if you run in to any trouble. (I definitely would *not* use 1.22, I don't even really know why I still have that online, other than the fact that its a smaller download... In fact next time I think about, I think I'll remove it...)

Dale

:unsure:

Hmmm, I had ibycus topo maps installed on my PC (in Mapsource) and on my Legend HCx unit but I

(1) installed some other topo maps of Utah and

(2) upgraded Mapsource to the latest version (v6.14.1)

and I now seem to have lost the IBYCUS maps?!?!

They are not listed in either Mapsource or the GPS itself. Can I just re-run Mapupdate.exe again?

Edited by Mark Graylish

:unsure:

Hmmm, I had ibycus topo maps installed on my PC (in Mapsource) and on my Legend HCx unit but I

(1) installed some other topo maps of Utah and

(2) upgraded Mapsource to the latest version (v6.14.1)

and I now seem to have lost the IBYCUS maps?!?!

They are not listed in either Mapsource or the GPS itself. Can I just re-run Mapupdate.exe again?

Anything pre 2.0beta will be lost on 'upgrading' to 6.14.1. You can either download 2.0beta (recommended...but it has one bug with contour values being out by a factor of 3.28) or I can e-mail you a fix and instructions for 1.5. Earlier versions, there is no fix available for (although if you're really pushed I can walk you through creating one of your own).

2.0beta can be downloaded from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download1/MapUpdateBeta.exe

Dale Atkin

I have Windows XP and downloaded and ran the updater last night. This morning I tried opening Mapsource and I get the following error message:

There is a problem with the Mapsource installation. Please re-install Mapsource and start it again.

Did I miss something? I only read this last page of the thread where you were telling someone to download the updater instead of just trying for a few maps... TIA

Lorianne

Edited by hurleyanne

I have Windows XP and downloaded and ran the updater last night. This morning I tried opening Mapsource and I get the following error message:

There is a problem with the Mapsource installation. Please re-install Mapsource and start it again.

Did I miss something? I only read this last page of the thread where you were telling someone to download the updater instead of just trying for a few maps... TIA

Lorianne

Which link did you follow? Was it http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe? I'd try running it again.

Hi Ibycus,

Had a good vacation?

I just came back myself.

How close are we of getting out of BETA for version 2.0?

Just waiting to download the Quebec tiles.

I've actually fixed the bug that was causing the incorrect elevations to be displayed (which is the only bug that I've found in 2.0beta), but I was hoping to wait until some new road data is released on to Geobase before recompiling the whole country (yet again).

2.0beta is now the default version you get with MapUpdate as older versions don't work right with Mapsource 6.14 (unless you patch them).

Dale

Hi Ibycus,

Had a good vacation?

I just came back myself.

How close are we of getting out of BETA for version 2.0?

Just waiting to download the Quebec tiles.

I've actually fixed the bug that was causing the incorrect elevations to be displayed (which is the only bug that I've found in 2.0beta), but I was hoping to wait until some new road data is released on to Geobase before recompiling the whole country (yet again).

2.0beta is now the default version you get with MapUpdate as older versions don't work right with Mapsource 6.14 (unless you patch them).

Dale

Tanks for the quick response.

If I get this right, the only difference in the new compile is the road data since the elevation thing is fixed in the download1/Tiles. If this is correct I can use some tiles as background to complete my forest road custom files.

I did not upgrade to the new version of Mapsource 6.14 is there anything to gain with this release?

Tanks for the quick response.

If I get this right, the only difference in the new compile is the road data since the elevation thing is fixed in the download1/Tiles. If this is correct I can use some tiles as background to complete my forest road custom files.

I did not upgrade to the new version of Mapsource 6.14 is there anything to gain with this release?

The elevation thing isn't actually fixed (yet), the bug in my code has been fixed, but it hasn't made it through to the actual compiled tiles.

The big benefits to this version vs. the old version is fewer tiles, more consistent processing (some older areas were processed differently than newer areas), which means more finely grained toponym information in some areas, along with better layering, new roads (including names) in many areas (although not Quebec).

Dale

Dale,

my first post here. You mentioned a util to direct mapupdate to utilize a different hdd for donwloading the topo maps. I'm hamstrung. 1gb free on C: and no easy way to expand that because of truecrypt containers using the rest of the disk. Afraid to trash my truecrypt containers if I play with partition magic.

Can I get a link to that utility and a howto?

Thanks for all your great work, dying to try out your topos.

Dale,

my first post here. You mentioned a util to direct mapupdate to utilize a different hdd for donwloading the topo maps. I'm hamstrung. 1gb free on C: and no easy way to expand that because of truecrypt containers using the rest of the disk. Afraid to trash my truecrypt containers if I play with partition magic.

Can I get a link to that utility and a howto?

Thanks for all your great work, dying to try out your topos.

Drop me an e-mail and I'll send it to you. I haven't gotten around to putting it online yet. (Pretty self explanatory to use, just run it before you run MapUpdate, and then input the new paths)

Dale

Dale, first off, my heartiest thanks for putting together such a great mapset!

Now, I've had a little trouble which I've been able to work around, but I'll describe it here anyway because you may know a simple solution. I ran the latest mapupdate.exe from your site, and it all worked like a charm. It downloaded several thousand map tiles (2.0beta), then deleted a few more thousand obsolete ones.

When I tried to send the maps to the GPS using my old version of MapSource, it simply said the mapset was "too big". So I upgraded to the newest MapSource, which promised improved error messaging, among other things. So the new error message is:

1060cf17-39b6-4d5f-9449-339bfae0d88e.jpg

"The mapset is approximately [small number], but only [big number] is available in the destination."

Pure nonsense. A bit of research tells me this is likely caused by .img files having been updated since the .tdb file was created. This appears not to be the case on my system; the .tdb has a timestamp of just a few seconds newer than the most recently downloaded .img, as you'd expect.

Through trial-and-error, I've identified a handful of tiles that trigger this nonsense error message. By de-selecting those tiles, the download works like a charm. The tiles are in clusters, geographically a bit north of Ottawa and Montreal. For example, 031J01 thru 031J04, plus about a dozen others.

Anyway, I hope this information helps somebody else work around the same problem, and maybe it's enough for Dale to fix the problem up for good.

Thanks again,

VP

PS: Dale, ping me if you'd like the full list of problem tiles. I can't identify them right this moment since MapSource is busy sending maps (wahoo!) to my unit.

Now, I've had a little trouble which I've been able to work around, but I'll describe it here anyway because you may know a simple solution. I ran the latest mapupdate.exe from your site, and it all worked like a charm. It downloaded several thousand map tiles (2.0beta), then deleted a few more thousand obsolete ones.

Interesting. Are you using the latest version of MapUpdate to download the update? On my system I'm not getting the bug, so the problem likely lies with MapUpdate.

I suggest you try re-running MapUpdate from the latest version on the website. (If that doesn't work, let me know, and I'd like to look in to it further)

Dale

I downloaded a fresh MapUpdate about 3 days ago and ran it to install maps over 1.31. At that time it seemed to work just fine, downloading 2724 files and deleting 4000+ old ones when it finished.

Just now I re-downloaded MapUpdate and re-ran it. "Downloading 1 of 2400". Hey! I aborted it; I don't have time to do that again right now, and it just doesn't seem correct unless you made massive changes in the last 3 days.

Hope I haven't just broken another couple of tiles with that aborted download.

Oh, I'm keeping my maps on G: (Geocaching:), a network drive. It's about the only thing I can think of that I'm doing "differently".

Edited to add: I eyeballed filelist.lst fresh off your download directory vs. the files I have in G:ibycus-topoTopoMapsimgs. The first two files (which updated before I aborted) and the next 3 files (which would've updated next) all showed perfectly matching sizes. That is, the physical file size (via Properties) matched the size indicated in filelist.lst.

Could there be something subtle in how you check for changed files?

Edited by Viajero Perdido

The updater has to parse filelist.lst, right? Including the last-modified date and time for each file, I imagine. What if the user's set up a non-standard "short date" format in Control Panel? Personally I can't stand ambiguous dates like "6/7/08", so I always set my systems to a format like "28-Aug-08".

If you're using a system function to parse the date and time, and that function is regional-settings aware, i'll bet that's the problem. Write the file using one format; read it on a different computer expecting a different format --> oops!

Lots of fun when half the computers in Canada are set up for D/M/Y (Canadian style), the other half M/D/Y (default US style). Not to mention the troublemaker 1% who like dd-MMM-yy like me.

It might be a simple matter of hardwiring the parser function to use a specified format - the one you use to write the file - rather that using regional settings which is probably the default.

I've seen bugs like this before. Had to fix 'em too. :cry:

Edited by Viajero Perdido

It looks like the date format was the problem. I changed my system's "short date" format back to the default US style (M/d/yy) and re-ran the updater. This time it downloaded 90 files (much better than 2400!), and removed 3. Now my imgs directory has 2724 files, all dated within the last few days (unlike before). That sounds good.

This fixed the problem I mentioned a couple of posts above. Yay!

Out of curiosity, I re-ran the updater a couple of more times. Each time it downloaded 3 or 4 new files (but they're not new!), and suggested deleting the same number of obsolete files (I said yes each time). A bit odd, but I can live with that.

There's a reason they invented ISO 8601 ("yyyy-mm-dd"), and it kills me that this isn't just the default setting on everything everywhere. It just makes the most sense.

I agree. That's the way I date all my files/folders as it actually put's them in order when sorted alphabetically/numerically (sp?).

Putting together an FAQ and looking for some input:

Frequently Asked Questions:

This page will serve as a repository of frequently asked questions for both the Ibycus Topo Maps, and the Ibycus USA maps.

OK, I’ve downloaded the maps...Now what?

The maps are easiest to view in Mapsource (although other programs exist). From within mapsource, select the appropriate mapset from the dropdown list in the top left hand corner. If you don’t have a copy of Mapsource, see the next FAQ.

I don’t have Mapsource, can I still use your maps?

Yes. Ok, its a little more complicated than that. First, are you *sure* you don’t have Mapsource? Many Garmin GPSrs come with a CD Labeled “Trip and Waypoint Manager”, which is essentially mapsource minus the Maps (we’re going to be installing maps, so this is exactly what we want). If you’re unlucky enough not to have this CD, or you’ve lost it or whatever, you can *still* get Mapsource legally for free off of Garmin’s website. (I’ve checked with their tech support and they are aware of this method and have told me its OK to use it... obviously this isn’t a legal document they’ve given me, so they *might* technically not like it, so follow at your own discretion).

First, you’ll need to download Garmin Training Center. Currently the link to Garmin Training Center is http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection....ct=999-99999-04 but obviously I don’t run Garmin’s website, so this may be subject to change.

Next install Garmin Training Center.

After you’ve installed Garmin Training Center, you need to download and install the “Mapsource Update” from Garmin’s website. Currently the link is http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=20 (again, google it if this link is dead). Ignore the little comment about “will not work unless you already own a Mapsource product. They lie.

Finally install the Mapsource update. Voila you now have a working copy of Mapsource (sans maps).

You can safely uninstall Training Center should you wish to do so.

I’m not comfortable with the above method. What other options do I have?

Well you can buy a copy of Trip and Waypoint Manager from your favourite GPS Store (I’m currently fond of GPS City). Alternatively you can use 3rd party apps. GPSMapEdit http://www.geopainting.com can be used for viewing and editing the mapsheets, Sendmap ( http://www.cgpsmapper.com ) can be used to upload them to the GPS.

I only need a small area. Is there any way to download just a subset?

No. Well that’s not technically true, but honestly you don’t want just a subset. The hassle you need to go through to make it work just isn’t worth it. Honest it’s not. Don’t believe me? Well if you really want, you can download the individual tiles you need from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download , and then compile the Mapsource index using cgpsmapper http://www.cgpsmapper.com and then load the index in to mapsource using Mapset Toolkit http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/ , but you probably don’t want to do that.

Yes I really *do* want to do the above. How do I figure out which tile corresponds to which area?

For the Canadian Maps, the tile naming scheme is based on the NTS grid standard. There are large tiles (the size of a 1:250k mapsheet) and small tiles (the size of a 1:50k mapsheet). In most cases the data is based on 1:50k data (the exception being some areas of far northern Ontario). A typical NTS grid reference would be something like 082O01 (this is Calgary). This translates to 10821501.img (note O is the 15th letter of the alphabet, and the ‘1’ is constant across the product.

US maps are names somewhat differently. Pre version 2.0 all tiles were names for their US census county ID number, which can be found at ftp://www2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2007FE/ , with a common prefix for all files. Everything after version 2.0 is tiled in 1° Latitude x 2° Longitude tiles with the name of the tile being based on the bottom right hand corner of the tile. The file name is the aggregation of ‘30’+Longitude+Latitude. So 106W 042N translates to 30106042.img.

Ok, maybe I don’t want to do the above, but that download is HUGE. Is there any way around that?

Yep, its big. Yes its fairly slow. If you e-mail me, I can provide you with a DVD copy via snail-mail, but obviously I can’t do this for free, if you can donate me $25 I can send it to you.

Routing/Turn by Turn direction?

No. But you can fake it. If you have a commercial Mapsource product, you can use it for routing, and then hide it when you want to see my maps.

How can I load both these maps and the commercial maps at the same time?

From within Mapsource, select one set of maps, and then change products, select the other set of maps and finally upload them both at the same time to the GPS.

Once you have them both on the GPS, only one will show up, as neither mapset is transparent. (you wouldn’t want them to be, otherwise you’d see a lot of duplication of data). You have to turn off the one you aren’t using in order to see the other one (precise method varies by GPS, but there is generally a method to turn off one map or the other).

How detailed are the maps?

Very. In general the maps are as detailed or more detailed than the commercial maps. Notably missing is the commercial POI database (if you have any references for this, let me know, and I’ll try to include it), auto-routing is also not present. In some areas of the US, the roads are misaligned, this is a problem with the source data, and is being addressed by the source data provider (the US government).

Ibycus--wow you have some talent my man!!

Here is my question, do you have TOPO's for Alaska?

Also, first off I have a Garmin 60CSX and I already have City Navigator Installed with about 4 states loaded onto my GPS---I had a friend with the TOPO and she D/L the maps to my GPS but it took out my City Nav States that I had loaded?? I thought I could run both or have both on my GPS at the same time?Hmmm

I then reloaded my City Nav into my GPS and guess what the TOPO's of Alaska she loaded are now gone?

SO my deal is can I somehow have both City Nav and TOPO map loaded at the same time in my 60CSX?

Still trying to figure out how to get your maps? ( I have this link of yours. http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/) DO I scroll down and run the MAPupdate.exe? and all the img. listed, I take they are the diff topo's?

Thanks for the help!!

Ibycus--wow you have some talent my man!!

Here is my question, do you have TOPO's for Alaska?

Also, first off I have a Garmin 60CSX and I already have City Navigator Installed with about 4 states loaded onto my GPS---I had a friend with the TOPO and she D/L the maps to my GPS but it took out my City Nav States that I had loaded?? I thought I could run both or have both on my GPS at the same time?Hmmm

I then reloaded my City Nav into my GPS and guess what the TOPO's of Alaska she loaded are now gone?

SO my deal is can I somehow have both City Nav and TOPO map loaded at the same time in my 60CSX?

Still trying to figure out how to get your maps? ( I have this link of yours. http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/) DO I scroll down and run the MAPupdate.exe? and all the img. listed, I take they are the diff topo's?

Thanks for the help!!

See the preliminary copy of the FAQs one post up...

I haven't gotten the Topo Working for the states yet, I have data, but haven't had the time to get it together. At the moment, the earliest I would expect it is Christmas, but probably not until next summer (starting back to university tomorrow, and I'm going to be insanely busy).

To get the topo, just download and run MapUpdate. The US maps are downloaded from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa, but they are only street maps.

Ok Im reading this"

How can I load both these maps and the commercial maps at the same time?

From within Mapsource, select one set of maps, and then change products, select the other set of maps and finally upload them both at the same time to the GPS.

Im not sure how to do this part in Mapsource? I have the program up but dont see where to select them from!

But Im betting that since I DONT have the TOPO map on my computer (its a friend that loaded the topo for me) I wont see this--correct. I bet I have to get the Topo map installed first onto my computer>

Thanks for the maps! Which of the provinces have street names for it?

Alberta, BC, and Nova Scotia all have street names. To check the update status of my source files, see http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/data/nrn/status.html. If you notice any discrepencies (i.e. it says there should be road names, but I don't have them), let me know, and I'll see about releasing a new version.

Dale

Hey Dale: thanks for all your work so far.

Something I've noticed but I don't know whether there's anything you can do about it...

A lot of Forest Service Roads (at least in SW BC) are marked as "Alley" (eg N49d27'41.1", W123d42'06.3").

(Note: some are correctly identified eg N49d27'35.7", W123d39'25.8")

Is there anyway of getting the data including the actual names of the FSR?

Hey Dale: thanks for all your work so far.

Something I've noticed but I don't know whether there's anything you can do about it...

A lot of Forest Service Roads (at least in SW BC) are marked as "Alley" (eg N49d27'41.1", W123d42'06.3").

(Note: some are correctly identified eg N49d27'35.7", W123d39'25.8")

Is there anyway of getting the data including the actual names of the FSR?

It you can find me a source that includes the names, I don't see why not. I just don't have a spatially accurate source that includes these names (the best I have is from http://www.geobase.ca).

Dale

I'm starting work on version 2.1. I'm thinking this version will *only* be available via iso download (at least for a while). I've had *so* many problems with incomplete/partial downloads, and I don't have time to fix up MapUpdate at the moment (if someone else wants to write a similar program that might be less buggy, feel free and I'll post it and give you credit).

This will be a totally new dataset (so no real point in MapUpdate anyways). Please speak now if you've noticed any oddities in layering, rendering issues, etc, etc, etc, as once I start processing, its going to be too late to fix it.

This version will include new roads in Ontario and the Yukon as part of the update.

One little categorization glitch: A few times I've seen something marked as "Area" shown in blue, so it looks like a lake. But from the looks of it on-site, these "areas" are cuts, not lakes. For example, at N45 22.688, W75 41.271, where there's railroad track going through it. That's in Ottawa (where I am right now), but I've noticed this a few times in Alberta too.

Simplest thing would be to just change the color for that type of "area" to yellow, like other types of land.

Other than that, the maps are working flawlessly. Rock on!

One little categorization glitch: A few times I've seen something marked as "Area" shown in blue, so it looks like a lake. But from the looks of it on-site, these "areas" are cuts, not lakes. For example, at N45 22.688, W75 41.271, where there's railroad track going through it. That's in Ottawa (where I am right now), but I've noticed this a few times in Alberta too.

Simplest thing would be to just change the color for that type of "area" to yellow, like other types of land.

Other than that, the maps are working flawlessly. Rock on!

Argh... too late. Litterally just started the processing (and its a pain to restart part way). I also can't seem to replicate the problem here, so I'm not sure what's going on. That particular spot looks like an open area to me (i.e. nothing there). There are a couple of building polygons nearby, but nothing blue.

Dale