Free Topo Maps for Garmin GPS

ibycus

Just a tip... you might want to set the colour scheme to "marine". I'm fairly sure that most of Ontario still has the old style roads, that don't look very good on the Colorado. (Hard to see). This will be addressed when I reprocess the data.

Hello all,

I am ne to the GPS world and I am trying figure out how to add the maps to my 60CSx. I downloaded the latest Map Updater

Now what do I need to do to get it on my GPS.

Thanks

Have you run MapUpdate?

Next step is to open up MapSource/Trip and Waypoint Manager, and select "Ibycus Topo 1.5" from the drop down list in the top left hand corner.

Then select the maps you want to send to the GPS (him 'm' and then click on them)

Finally hit the "Send to device" button.

Hello, all - I'm a newbie to the board and not very experienced but I wanted to thank you all, especially Dale, for the tremendous commitment you have and all of the effort you are expending. I'm planning a return to Nova Scotia this summer (if I can afford the gas!) and have a new eTrex Vista HCx that came with US Topo and now I have Canada as well! Thank you sooooooo much!

Just a question about the Maritimes area. Heading out there in a week and started setting up map sets. When I got to PEI, Cape Breton, and Halifax, each of those areas were selected as one large area rather than the individual map segments. Mapsource showed a few segments but 4 or 5 would get selected by one click. Is this a problem in the map (Ibycus 1.5) or did something go wrong in my installation? The maps take up more space than I need since there are areas near Halifax I won't get anywhere near.

JD

Just a question about the Maritimes area. Heading out there in a week and started setting up map sets. When I got to PEI, Cape Breton, and Halifax, each of those areas were selected as one large area rather than the individual map segments. Mapsource showed a few segments but 4 or 5 would get selected by one click. Is this a problem in the map (Ibycus 1.5) or did something go wrong in my installation? The maps take up more space than I need since there are areas near Halifax I won't get anywhere near.

JD

This is by design...sort of. I'm trying to cut down on the number of mapsheets (trying for less than 2025). 011 has all been reprocessed with 'big' squares, but I left the 1:50k NTS sheet boundaries on there, so it looks like they are still in small squares when you have the detail showing. I've removed the NTS sheet boundaries from future processing.

Dale

This is by design...sort of. I'm trying to cut down on the number of mapsheets (trying for less than 2025). 011 has all been reprocessed with 'big' squares, but I left the 1:50k NTS sheet boundaries on there, so it looks like they are still in small squares when you have the detail showing. I've removed the NTS sheet boundaries from future processing.

Dale

Thanks for the info Dale. Its not a problem and getting the number of mapsheets down makes a lot of sense.

JD

any hope for us poor sods who years-ago partitioned their hard-drive with only limited space to c: to change the default location of the maps (short of repartioning).

as in .. if I download the DVD version, is it possible to manually go and find the registery entries and change them from c:\Progam Files\TopoMaps to something else.

tks

ron

any hope for us poor sods who years-ago partitioned their hard-drive with only limited space to c: to change the default location of the maps (short of repartioning).

as in .. if I download the DVD version, is it possible to manually go and find the registery entries and change them from c:\Progam Files\TopoMaps to something else.

tks

ron

Yep. Drop me an e-mail, and I'll send you the reg file. You can edit it to whatever you like.

As an aside, I've removed the option of specifying the path in the install for two reasons. First, I didn't feel like coding it in to the new installer. Its not hard, it just didn't *look* right, and I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible. Secondly, and more to the point, I used to get a huge number of e-mails from people who tried to open the maps using "File-->Open". Since I removed the option, the number of people looking to do that has dropped almost to zero, and I only get a few people asking how to put the maps somewhere else.

d a t k i n a t i b y c u s d o t c o m

This is the first time I want to look at these maps and I am looking for the maps 41I and 41P. I am currently running the Map Updater program which I double clicked on on your web site...It's been running for the last hour or so and is currently at 426 of 10486...so at this pace it should take about a day to download all of this.

Is this correct what I am doing here? Once this is done, then what do I need to do to get the maps into Mapsource?

This is the first time I want to look at these maps and I am looking for the maps 41I and 41P. I am currently running the Map Updater program which I double clicked on on your web site...It's been running for the last hour or so and is currently at 426 of 10486...so at this pace it should take about a day to download all of this.

Is this correct what I am doing here? Once this is done, then what do I need to do to get the maps into Mapsource?

Once finished, it will be available within Mapsource the same as any other maps. here is nothing further to do.

The coverage is for the WHOLE country at the moment with only a few tiles missing here and there.

Just thought I'd let all those of you in Alberta/BC know, the Shapefiles with the road names in them have been released on to Geobase. This means that I will soon have road names in Alberta and BC (currently processing Alberta).

Just an update. I processed Alberta. Unfortunately I goofed somewhere along the way and the highway signs aren't showing up (the formating of my labels is wrong), so I'll have to reprocess and try again.

Hi

Just wondering if people have had success with the iso image. I've downloaded it and got a file size of 3,694,380 KB but attempts at de-compressing the file have only got me error messages about unexpected end of archive .. so I assume I didn't get the full file or its corrupt. I did try download again .. but same file size and same error.

any info appreciated

tks

ron

[EDIT] --> oops .. never mind. I tried a new version of pkzip and that seems to be working. I've left this note here instead of just deleting it in case somebody has the same problem as I. I guess it pays to keep current ...

Edited by goodsonr

Hi

Just wondering if people have had success with the iso image. I've downloaded it and got a file size of 3,694,380 KB but attempts at de-compressing the file have only got me error messages about unexpected end of archive .. so I assume I didn't get the full file or its corrupt. I did try download again .. but same file size and same error.

any info appreciated

tks

ron

I know of several successful installs out there.

What are you using to download? I've got Firefox on my machine specifically for this kind of problem, it seems to deal with large downloads better than IE (as well as resuming stalled downloads).

Actual file size is 3,783,044,802 bytes (or 3,694,379.6895kB), which seems awfully darned close to your size. If you check the MD5 sum, I can tell you if the file is corrupt or not (e-mail me if you need a windows MD5 summer)

What unzipper are you using? Are you sure it can handle such a big ZIP file, or such a big file in a ZIP file? Many programs choke at the 4GB limit (the file in the ZIP is over 4GB)

Edited by ibycus

Hi Dale

Man .. you are fast. Look up one post from yours and you'll see it was my own darn fault for using an old version to unzip. I was hoping to edit my message before anyone responded.

Tks

ron

:D I try my best. Happend to be on the computer when the notification came in. Anyways, in case anyone is wondering, the MD5 is e862554bae22a730113e95427360c4c4

Dale

and now that I have it working (with maps in my data directory on f:\ ... yippee) my hat off to you. The coverage over Nunavut is much better on your maps such as around Iqaluit and Pangnirtung on Baffin Island.

About the only place I care about where TopoCanada looked better was depicting Spray Lakes Road in K-Country... but that's a quibble at best (unless its like that in a bunch of other places I don't know about).

great work

ron

Updating Alberta and BC went so well, I've decided to extend the updates to the rest of the maps, and wait to release the Alberta/BC updates until the other tiles are done. It should only be a couple more days, and when its done, hopefully it will significantly improve performance. (it will unfortunately be a larger download)

Updating Alberta and BC went so well, I've decided to extend the updates to the rest of the maps, and wait to release the Alberta/BC updates until the other tiles are done. It should only be a couple more days, and when its done, hopefully it will significantly improve performance. (it will unfortunately be a larger download)

Waiting in Victoria with baited breath...

I've finished uploading the new version. This is basically a totally fresh mapset, compiled 'from scratch', so I'm releasing it as a Beta, although it should be a definite improvement over the older version, I'm reluctant to wipe the old version off my website until I have at least a few people look at this new version.

I'd recommend renaming your "TopoMaps" directory before you install this version, otherwise you'll wipe out your old version (not necessary, but if you think you might want to go back, you don't want to wipe out the old files).

To download the Beta, run http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download1/MapUpdateBeta.exe

I've finished uploading the new version. This is basically a totally fresh mapset, compiled 'from scratch', so I'm releasing it as a Beta, although it should be a definite improvement over the older version, I'm reluctant to wipe the old version off my website until I have at least a few people look at this new version.

I'd recommend renaming your "TopoMaps" directory before you install this version, otherwise you'll wipe out your old version (not necessary, but if you think you might want to go back, you don't want to wipe out the old files).

To download the Beta, run http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download1/MapUpdateBeta.exe

He he. Kinda cool. Browsing around, I found my maps are in fact more up to date in some areas than CNNA 2009 :D.

cwcnna2009.jpg

cwibycus.jpg

I updated today from version 1.31 by renaming the Topomaps folder and using the 'beta' Map Update program. Unfortunately it seems I will be the first to report problems. Scattered tiles are showing only the highways, no topo data or even outlines, when viewed in Mapsource. The highway number appears as a -1 rather than a highlighted 1. These tiles can not be selected in Mapsource (6.13.7).

. Hal

example.. Southern Ontario 40I and 40J blocks also noted in Brooks Alberta area

Edited by titanium46

I updated today from version 1.31 by renaming the Topomaps folder and using the 'beta' Map Update program. Unfortunately it seems I will be the first to report problems. Scattered tiles are showing only the highways, no topo data or even outlines, when viewed in Mapsource. The highway number appears as a -1 rather than a highlighted 1. These tiles can not be selected in Mapsource (6.13.7).

. Hal

Got to agree, Lots of problems and missing data. Massive amounts of Ontario are missing. They show has blocks when you are extremely zoomed out but zoom in and no detail at all. The road names shown in the sample do not appear for me. Similarly across much of Northern Ontario and the praries. Even around Vernon BC.

Wonder if something is wrong with the index files.

JD

Just noticed two things that are quite different.

1. The original img directory had 10,486 files and was 3.99gb

2 AND MORE IMPORTANTLY there was a 4th index file NTBDATA_MDR.img at 18.0mb, there are only 3 index files in the new upload and this one is missing.

Looks like a great deal of data did not get put together and/or uploaded.

JD

. Hal

example.. Southern Ontario 40I and 40J blocks also noted in Brooks Alberta area

Sounds like the download didn't complete. What happens if you rerun MapUpdateBeta.exe?

Dale

Just took a peek through my code, the problem seems to be that MapUpdateBeta is downloading the wrong index files (its downloading the ones from 1.5, rather that 2.0beta).

You can manually download them from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download1/NTDBData.img

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download1/NTDBData.TDB

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download1/NTDBData.MDX

I've uploaded a fixed copy of MapUpdateBeta.

File counts are as follows:

Index Files: 3 - I'm no longer using the MDR file. Never really was, but I thought it had to be there.

img files: 2724 - Most tiles now cover a much larger area than they did before, meaning there are far fewer than before.

Total Size of IMG directory: 3.40GB (probably smaller due to me using a new compiler on all the tiles)

Dale

Just took a peek through my code, the problem seems to be that MapUpdateBeta is downloading the wrong index files (its downloading the ones from 1.5, rather that 2.0beta).

You can manually download them from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download1/NTDBData.img

Index Files: 3 - I'm no longer using the MDR file. Never really was, but I thought it had to be there.

img files: 2724 - Most tiles now cover a much larger area than they did before, meaning there are far fewer than before.

Total Size of IMG directory: 3.40GB (probably smaller due to me using a new compiler on all the tiles)

Dale

Well, I did that and as soon as I click on Ibycus Topo 2 beta I get a warning that Mapsource is not properly installed and the program quits. By reverting back to version 1.5 and Mapsource works fine.

If was to try to re-install would I use the MapudateBeta or Mapupdate in the download1 directory or do you have some other idea for a fix.

JD

Dale

Well, I did that and as soon as I click on Ibycus Topo 2 beta I get a warning that Mapsource is not properly installed and the program quits. By reverting back to version 1.5 and Mapsource works fine.

If was to try to re-install would I use the MapudateBeta or Mapupdate in the download1 directory or do you have some other idea for a fix.

JD

What happens if you copy the MDR file over from the old version? It shouldn't be looking for it, but I suppose its possible.

At the moment, a reinstall isn't likely to change much. It something with the registry settings that isn't quite right.. just have to figure out what and I can modify MapUpdateBeta to make the fix.

Manual download and paste did not solve the problems but did make some changes.

-The version is now 2 beta as noted

-At the 70mi zoom 2 problem areas in Ontario still do not show tile outlines

-At the 50mi zoom MapSource crashes ... repeatable several times

I did re-run the old Mapupdate 3 times and 2 of the 3 flashed something about orphan files but unfortunately too fast to read

I will now delete these new index files and download and run the newer update program

. Hal

New thought ... I just looked with MapsetToolkit as the crash looked similar to other map problems. There are now 2 with a code-1, yours and the Trip and Waypoint one, if I remember the NTDBData had a code-127 before the file change

Edited by titanium46

"

What happens if you copy the MDR file over from the old version? It shouldn't be looking for it, but I suppose its possible.

At the moment, a reinstall isn't likely to change much. It something with the registry settings that isn't quite right.. just have to figure out what and I can modify MapUpdateBeta to make the fix.

"

The MDR file made no change

Dale

JD

Moving over the MDR didn't help. I look in the registry under NTDBData and there is a line for MDR pointing to that file. Two thoughts I guess, would removing that line perhaps fix things or a new MDR file. Hate to play with the registry until you can give it some thought. So will wait to hear before trying.

JD

Moving over the MDR didn't help. I look in the registry under NTDBData and there is a line for MDR pointing to that file. Two thoughts I guess, would removing that line perhaps fix things or a new MDR file. Hate to play with the registry until you can give it some thought. So will wait to hear before trying.

JD

Can you export you're whole NTDBData key and e-mail it to me (d a t k i n a t i b y c u s d o t c o m)? Easiest fix if you're in to digging in the registry would be to just delete the NTDBData key and rerun MapUpdateBeta. That *should* fix things.

Dale